Status: One-Shot

Lonely Hearts

1

As the last note of the song played, letting Kailee know that he had given up once again, she let out a small sigh and continued to stir the pot that was gently bubbling on the stove. She hadn't talked to him in two days, since they lost, and she hadn't answered her phone the 12 times he had called her since the morning after his night out. It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to him, she just had nothing to say. Technically they had been together 6 months, but since neither of them wanted labels or limits for anything there was no "they" or "together", which meant there was nothing for her to complain about. She emptied the contents of the pot into the waiting bowl on the counter, placed it in the sink and grabbed her bowl heading back to her couch. Pulling the blanket over her legs she turned her attention back to the tv and munched on the makeshift dinner she had prepared herself.
A few minutes later her phone beeped and she looked down at it, picking it up to respond. Quickly thereafter it beeped again.
'you can't text me back but ignore him you know'
'I'm not ignoring him'
She shoved another spoonful in her mouth and clicked the home screen seeing the red number 12 beside the phone icon on her home screen, clicking on it to quickly make the number disappear.
'then what do you call it?'
'Having nothing to say'
She could practically hear him sighing on the other end of the phone She knew she was being stubborn, but in order to convince herself he didn't owe her anything, meant distance. As she had guessed, he had nothing to say back to that. She knew they were probably together, they always were, and she was well aware she knew she had to watch what she said to Tyler unless she wanted him to know too.
Finishing her dinner she placed the bowl in front of her on the table and sighed, pulling the blanket up her body further. Relaxing for the first time all day, she felt her eyes fluttering shut and gave in to the warm feeling. As soon as her lids closed, the knock on the door made them re-open. Wearily, she got up off the couch and walked to the door, her sock clad feet barely producing any sound on the hardwood floor. Looking out the peephole she sighed, her thoughts confirmed. She thought about ignoring it, going back to the couch and pretending that she wasn't home but he knew her better than that. Taking one last breath in she slowly turned the handle pulling the door open.
She didn't say anything when she opened the door, just looked at him trying to keep the emotion off her face. The pair stared at each other for a moment in silence before he spoke, his voice coming out stronger than he planned.
"I didn't think you were going to open it, kinda like you don't answer your phone."
"I know you better than that. Your ass would be in the hallway all night."
She stepped back, letting him past her before closing the door. He looked around seeing that her place was the exact same it was before he left for practice a few mornings earlier. He didn't know what he expected to be different, but since nothing was the same right now, he couldn't be sure.
"Any reason why you suddenly don't want to talk to me?"
She walked into the kitchen, leaning against her island and shook her head no.
"You sure about that? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I know you better than that." He stared into the kitchen, getting closer to her but keeping distance between them.
"I'm sure you do." She kept her eyes focused on him, never breaking contact.
"Nothing happened that night you know."
"I don't care if it did." She saw the twinge of emotion in his face before composing himself again.
"We were just out, having some fun and I had a couple beers-"
"You don't need to explain yourself, you're a big boy Jamie." She cut him off, her voice firm. Walking around the island she busied herself putting the dirty utensils she used to make her dinner in the sink.
"If I don't need to explain myself then why won't you talk to me?" He approached the side of the island that she was just standing on and rested his hands firmly on the surface.
"I have nothing to say."
"Bullshit! I can see it in your face you're full of shit to say to me."
"You don't owe me an explanation. You don't owe me anything, you know why? Because I never asked you for anything. I never asked for exclusivity or titles or any of that. You can do what you want with who you want." She turned her back to him and focused on the dishes in the sink. Before she could turn on the water she felt his hands on her shoulders.
"You know what I want? You. Just like I've wanted you for the past six months."
She turned around to face him, the hurt plain on her face and the tears brimming in her eyes.
"Really? Because it sure didn't feel like that when I was standing in that fucking hallway after game 6 for hours only to find out you left. What about the fact that the only reason I've heard from you since the loss is because Tyler told you I saw the pictures? 'Cause all it feels like right now is you're worried you've screwed up your solid fuck buddy situation."
"Fuck buddy situation? That's all we are?" She could see the fire in his eyes.
"You tell me."
He turned and walked away from her, the steam coming from his ears almost visible.
"I wake up, I think of you. I go to bed, I think of you. When I'm not at the gym or the rink or doing other shit to do with the team I'm with you. You're the first person I want to be with after a win and the only person I want to be with after a loss. I regretted not having you in Sochi because you're the first one I wanted to show that medal to."
The tears were back in her eyes he could see her bottom lip starting to shake. The sight of her retreating into herself made the fire in him slightly dwindle.
"I was disappointed enough that night, I know I should have came and found you or at least texted you and God you have no idea how badly I wanted to be with you, but I just couldn't bring myself to. I didn't want to know anyone else was disappointed in me either."
Her brows furrowed. "Disappoint me?" She walked over to him, now standing back on the other side of the island, "you've done nothing to disappoint me. Hell, I'm you're biggest fan. Besides your mom." A small smile creaked through. She closed the distance between them and put her hands on his neck, sliding one hand up to the long hair at the back of his neck. She didn't care what anyone said about his hair, she loved it.
"I never asked you to be anything for me. I just wanted you to be yourself. Captain's nice, gold medal winner is all good, but just Jamie is my favourite Jamie."
He slid his large hands around her waist pulling her closer to him.
"I know you didn't, but there's something here that makes me want to be everything."
"Even a tree?"
She said, a smirk creeping up on her face.
"Fucking instagram." He rolled his eyes as Kailee chuckled and yanked lightly on his hair.
"Would you be a tree for me Jamie?"
"If tree is code for boyfriend, than yep."
She stared up at him, searching his eyes, the smirk still lingering on her face.
"Haven't you been that since October?"
"Not really… see now I can do this whenever and wherever I want." He leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers. She sighed against him and he felt her body relax in his arms. He took advantage of this and quickly slipped his tongue in her mouth deepening their kiss. She moaned lightly and he picked her up carrying her over to the island and setting her down. As she was wrapping her legs around his waist, they heard the door slam open.
"He's MIA, so you better- Whoa."
They looked over at Tyler and Kailee chuckled and closed her eyes placing her forehead on Jamie's shoulder.
"Dude. Really?"
"Sorry, I just…didn't expect that."
"What? Me making out with my girlfriend?"
His eyes popped open and he cupped his ear looking at Jamie.
"Say that again?"
"Girlfriend."
"FUCKING FINALLY. Jesus you couldn't have just done that ages ago?"
"Tyler, don't you have somewhere else to be?" Kailee looked up from Jamie's shoulders and quirked her brow at him.
"Oh, uh, yeah sorry. Be safe kids." He waved a hand at them and headed out the way he came.
The pair shared a laugh and Jamie looked down at Kailee.
"So where were we?"
"Right about here." She leaned in kissing him hard and then pulled away.
"Thanks for the reminder."