To the Edge

Quatre

"Hi Andy, what's up?"

"Hi, Harry...I came to hand in my notice." His boss looked up, shocked.

"Really? Sit down, sit." Andy did as he was told.

"Can I ask why? No one's done anything to upset you have they?-"

"No, no...you guys are all my friends. I...well as you know I have four jobs. I did it because my mum has cancer, and her insurance company won't cover the treatment. So I needed the money. But it's spread, and she's decided that she doesn't want the chemo...so I don't need to work my ass off anymore." It came out bitterly and Harry looked at him sadly.

"Jeez, I'm so sorry man. That's awful." Andy nodded.

"Thanks, so is this my two weeks notice, or can you get a replacement straight away...or?"

"Yeah I can get a replacement. I think you've been working way too hard, so unless you want to, you don't have to do any more shifts." Andy nodded.

"Thanks, Harry. Ok, well this is goodbye for now, I'll come back all the time though." Harry walked round the desk as Andy stood up and gave him a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry. Give your mum all our love here, and good luck man, I hope you do come round whenever you can. Don't be a stranger, ok?" Andy nodded and smiled.

"Thanks Harry." Andy rubbed a hand over his eyes as he walked out of the office and towards the bar where he grabbed Jake's wrist and pulled him out the back.

"Wh-what's up, Andy?"

"I came to tell you that I just resigned. I'm leaving." His face fell.

"What? How come?"

"I..." Andy wiped away a few stray tears and Jake hugged him.

"I forgot your mum was sick for a moment there....I'm sorry."

"Thanks. Look, I'm sorry for being such a dick to you, Jake. I just haven't had time...you deserve someone so much better than me."

"You're the best man alive, Andy Biersack, don't tell yourself otherwise." Andy shut his eyes against the other man's shoulder.

"You know Jinxxy at the diner downtown?" Jake mumbled.

"He likes you."

"What?!"

"Yeah. Has done for like two years. He told me a while back." Jake was astounded but nodded.

"Oh...well...ok. I hope your mum...well we know she's not gonna get better...but at least this is her way, Andy. Get comfort from that, won't you? It's what she wants." Andy nodded tearfully and hugged him again before leaving for the night.

It was the first night in months that Andy didn't sleep. Despite being exhausted, he just couldn't. His mind wouldn't shut down. Thoughts of his father, mother, of legal procedures once she was gone to sort out her apartment, her belongings, Jake, Harry, the new job, Oli, Josh, Matt, his own apartment needed decorating, that movie that he couldn't remember the name of-

It drove him crazy for five hours. Then it was time to get up and go to Walmart to quit before heading to Oli's.
When he did, Josh frowned at him.
"Had a rough night?"

"You have no idea."

"What's wrong?"

"I...honestly...can't talk about it anymore. I'm just gonna go carry on..." He went straight for the cleaning products and started where he'd left off on the second floor. He'd been working for four hours straight when Oli himself came upstairs, armed with a cup of coffee. He sipped at one while extending the other out towards Andy who took it guiltily.

"Sorry, thank you. You didn't need to do-"

"Josh is worried about you. I was too when you didn't stop for four hours."

"It helps me. I just needed to work it out of my system. I don't want to bother you, please don't worry about me I'm fine." Oli kept a steady gaze on him until he sighed in defeat.

"I just had a difficult night. I quit two of my other jobs though, and I'm quitting the third today after I leave. So...I guess that's a good thing."

"You guess?"

"I'm sorry, Oliver, I can't talk about it." He frowned in concern but nodded.

"Very well. I'll see you tomorrow I suppose." With that he left and Andy sat down on the step to drink the rest of his coffee. He carried on for the rest of the day without stopping until he left, shattered, and too emotionally wrung out to go home to an empty apartment. He went to his mother's apartment instead, talked to her quietly for hours, ordered takeout at her request, ate, watched her move into her bedroom for the night, and fell asleep in his father's armchair.

"Andy...baby, it's time to get up." A gentle hand brushed hair out of his face and he squirmed deeper into the bed.

"I don't....wanna go to school...." A quiet laugh followed.

"Andy...you're twenty two. Get up." He opened his eyes to realise he was in fact twenty two, and in his late father's armchair. Not fourteen and reluctant to go to school. His mum laughed at him and went to carry on with breakfast.

"I'm so glad you quit those other jobs. You've finally got a regular nine 'till five. It'll do you good."

"Yeah- hey! What's all this?" Andy gestured to the pancakes stacking up on a plate.

"I was in a good mood, you were asleep, and too skinny! You haven't been looking after yourself, so I figured I'd fatten you up with pancakes and bacon!" Andy's mouth watered and he planted a kiss on his mum's cheek.

"Well thank you." He stretched his aching body out before making coffee and putting an old movie on for them to watch as they ate.

"Thanks mum...I've cleared everything up. This was exactly what I needed, I'm not sure if I'm gonna come over later or not, but I love you anyway!"

"Bye Andy, have a good day." With that he left for work, feeling a little happier.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again for all the comments and everything guys, I do appreciate it! Please give me more feedback and let me know what you think, constructive criticism is always welcome as well so don't be shy!

I hope you're liking it <3