Status: Updates every week.

Guardian

Search & Rescue

I never stopped looking for him. Even as four long years quickly passed, I never stopped. Every morning before breakfast I would peek out my window, hoping to see a glimpse of him hidden in the trees alongside the edge of the forest. I began to eat outside during lunch, searching endlessly for an entire hour in hopes of seeing him.

Sometimes I thought I caught glimpses of him. A flash of silver from his arm, and maybe a flash of red from the star on his shoulder. I noticed that these flashes came only on the really bad days. The days where the teasing was relentless, or the days where it felt significantly harder to ignore the constant feeling of abandonment. I think he saw my pain and didn't want me to feel like he had abandoned me like everyone else in my life, so he'd let himself be seen just for a split second to let me know he was there.

The last time I had seen him was last week, on the day of my sixteenth birthday. I never liked my birthday to begin with. I never got presents or even greetings. Teachers didn't pay attention to the trivial stuff like that, and since Mom was dead I was alone.

Sometimes I wished that somehow my dad was found. I hoped that maybe, even if he didn't want to see me, he'd send me a gift on my birthday. It didn't have to be much, just something to let me know that he knew who I was. But it never came, and I knew he was clueless about me, and probably would remain clueless until the day he died.

Alone on my birthday, I saw the familiar flash of silver. I yearned to see his face again, but the quick glimpse of him through the trees was just enough. I secretly wished that he would swoop me up in his arms again, promising me to take me away from the life I hated so much. I hoped that maybe as my birthday present he'd tell me he'd come back for me, and we'd go far away.

"Daydreaming in my class again, Miss Hammond?" Logan asked. I looked up at him with a shameful look.

I hated my history class with him. I much preferred math and science. I liked taking things a part and putting them back together again. I was advanced with anything that had numbers. That didn't help the teasing either. I was the class nerd in every subject but the ones that had to do with our own powers.

"Sorry," I muttered and he shook his head with disappointment. I heard a few snickers from the class, the other kids whispering excitedly at my scolding before Logan began to lecture again.

I looked out the window. My eyes calculating as I examined the trees, hoping to see a glimpse of him again. It was a long shot. It was only a week since the flash I saw of him on my birthday, and I probably wouldn't see him again for another couple of months, but that didn't stop me from trying.

The trees were completely still. The wind hadn't picked up yet, and Charlie wasn't bored enough to cause a ruckus outside like she usually did. I rested my head on my hand, staring out at the green scenery of the school. No matter how much I hated this school, I always found time to admire the scenery on campus. It was the one thing that kept me sane all of these years.

My eyes wandered the brick wall I flew over the first time I met the Soldier. I smiled at the thought. My eyes traveled the edge of the forest before I saw movement coming from one of the trees. I sat up, eyes wide and excited as I thought of seeing the Soldier again. Hope coursed through my body as I waited for him to emerge from the trees, ready to tell me he was going to finally take me away.

It was then that I saw it wasn't the Winter Soldier at all. They were all dressed in black, moving swiftly through the trees before they reached the wall. The crawled over them all at once, like spiders rushing to attack. Once they reached the ground they held their position. There were about twenty of them, all with guns ready as they slowly approached the school.

"L-Logan?" I called, eyes not leaving the window.

"What now, Mara?" He snapped.

"L-Look," I pointed out the window and he walked over, looking to see the various men in black running even faster towards the school.

"Everyone get down!" He shouted before we heard the sound of the school alarm going off, followed by the sound of gunfire, "Everyone get to the tunnels!" He shouted as people began to crawl their way on the floors and out of the door to the emergency hatches that led down to the tunnels under the school.

I got down on the ground, ready to follow the other students out before Logan stopped me, "Mara, come with me!" He urged and I obeyed.

I stood and began to follow him quickly down the hall as the men started to jump through the now broken windows. I screamed as bullets flew past us. Logan stopped to turn around, his long claws coming out as two men approached us. It took him barely a second to slash them down to the ground. His claws disappeared into his skin again before he turned to me, grabbing my arm and rushing me in the opposite direction of everyone else.

"The tunnels are that way!" I protested, pointing in the direction every other kid was running.

"Just keep up!" He ordered.

We skidded through the halls, dodging every person we passed before he came to a door. He pushed it open, throwing me inside, "Wait!" I turned, only to see him be tossed aside by two people in black, one of them a woman with deep red hair, the other was a man with dark blonde hair with a bow and arrow raised up high.

"Mara Hammond?" She asked and I slowly nodded, "My name is Agent Romanoff. I need you to come with us," She inched closer to me and I shook my head as I stepped away from her.

Logan was up again, ready to attack when Romanoff turned to him. With the calmest face I had ever seen, she raised her arm before two small devices flew off her sleeves. The minute they latched onto Logan, I could see electrical currents running over his body until he fell to the ground unconscious.

"No!" I protested, hands shaking as I backed up into the wall, trapped with no where else to go.

"I promise you're safe," She tried again, the other agent beside her taking cautious steps towards me. I turned quickly, trying to make a run for it through the window, "Hawkeye, grab her!" She ordered.

I felt arms around my waste as soon as my hands landed on the window and I screamed. I kicked and screamed, tears streaming down my face as I attempted to break out of his hold.

Why? Why was I being taken? There were no other students being taken by these people, so why was it me? My mind traveled back to the time the Soldier saved me, and I could only hope and pray he was watching me. If he truly was, he'd be saving me. I sobbed loudly as I continued to believe that maybe he'd come back just like he promised.

"Soldier!" I screamed, "Soldier!" I yelled louder as Hawkeye ran with me through the house. He had tossed me over his shoulder, despite me hitting his back with my fists in an attempt to get him to release me.

Doubt coursed through my body. Maybe I had been imagining it all along. The Winter Soldier probably never returned after my first encounter with him. It was a stupid dream I held on to. He probably only said he'd come back just to get me to leave him alone. I was completely abandoned again, and this time I really needed someone.

"We have the girl. Get ready to fly out," Agent Romanoff stated into a device that was clung to her ear. Finally Hawkeye set me down, grabbing a firm hold of my arm as he dragged me through the hall, following the red-headed woman towards the front of the school.

"Soldier!" I screamed even louder, "Help me!" I wasn't even screaming for him anymore. I didn't think he was listening. I just needed someone to yell for. It was like calling out for him eased the pain of the abandonment I felt. Like maybe he was still out there.

"What is she screaming about?" Hawkeye wondered out lout. The moment he asked, though it was as if time stopped. I watched as a familiar figure turned the corner, shoulders hunched menacingly as he held two guns, "Uh, was this a part of the plan?"

My eyes widened at the sight of him, a large smile on my face. I didn't care that his eyes were set to kill, because I knew he was there for me. He was ready to protect me, and he was ready to take me away from here.

"Get down!" Romanoff, tossing us to the side as bullets flew past us.

"Who the hell is that guy!?" Hawkeye yelled.

I watched as the Soldier ran for us, grabbing me out of the man's hands and tossing me to the side. I slid on the hardwood floor, eyes wide as I watched him fight hand to hand with the two of them at once. He pulled his hand back, grabbing Hawkeye with his other hand before knocking him out cold, "Hawk is down! All focus goes to the hostile!" The woman yelled into her earpiece. I could hear the other agents start to make their way to us.

The Soldier picked up the woman by the neck, tossing her aside before he turned to me. He rushed forward, picking me up and tossing me on his back. I laced my arms around his neck as he ducked out of the window, glass shattering around us as he landed on the ground.

He took off in a sprint, firing a gun at anyone who tried to attack either of us. In the distance I could see a helicopter landing, and I could tell he was running in that direction. We were almost to the wall before the forest before I felt hands on my back, pulling me off the soldier.

"No!" I screamed, reaching out for him. The Soldier spun around just in time to see Hawkeye push me back, making me land on the ground. The Soldier made a grab for me but the agent immediately raised his bow, ready to fire at the Soldier's head, "No!" I screamed.

"We're trying to protect you!" Hawkeye yelled at me before turning back to the Soldier. The Solider made a grab for his gun, only to have the agent release the arrow.

I screamed, eyes watching in slow motion as I watched the arrow fly directly towards the Soldier's head. I couldn't even process what was happening as my palm raised up, the energy built up inside me finally coming to a release as a stream of bright blue light erupted from my palm, colliding with the arrow before it disintegrated into the air.

Both the Soldier and the agent looked at me, eyes wide before the Soldier finally pulled out a gun, shooting the agent in the chest once before reaching out and grabbing me off the ground.

"Let's go!" He yelled and I followed. He lifted me up, throwing the both of us over the wall before breaking out into a sprint. I held on to his hand as he dodged trees, dragging me along before slowing down in front of the helicopter I saw land earlier.

The were three men in black waiting for us, their uniforms different than the people who had stormed the mansion. I clung to the Soldier tighter, and he did the same, reassuring me that it was okay. He finally came to a halt, gently nudging me to get into the helicopter and I obeyed.

"This her?" One of the men asked and the soldier nodded, "Get her strapped in and examine for any injuries. Let's get out of here before any more of Fury's dogs show up."

The Soldier ushered me into the helicopter, putting me in a seat before handing me the seatbelt. I buckled it, hands still shaking with adrenaline as I looked at him. He was still wearing his mask, but by seeing the creases near his eyes I knew he was trying to smile. In his eyes I could see relief. Maybe he had been waiting for me just as long as I had been waiting for him.

"I knew you'd come back," I whispered as I leaned my head against the window of the helicopter, watching him as he gently ran his fingers down my arm to check for any wounds. I felt the pressure of his hand around my wrist before I finally fell into a deep sleep.

-

I vaguely heard the sound of boots on the floor as I felt myself moving at a steady pace. I was in someone's arms again, but this someone wasn't the Soldier. I could just tell it wasn't him. I started to fret, trying to open my eyes to protest. What if those other people had grabbed me while I was asleep? Before I could cause a commotion, though, the person walking stopped.

"Give her to me," A voice ordered. His voice.

"Suit yourself," The person holding me shrugged before tossing me over to the Soldier. I heard him grunt and his arms tense, as if he weren't happy with the way they were handling me, "We need to get her debriefed by Pierce," The voice stated again.

"Not tonight," The soldier replied.

"Not tonight?" The voice questioned, amusement in his voice, "I wasn't aware you were cleared to give orders. I thought you just obeyed them," There was a smirk in his voice, and something told me the Soldier didn't like that.

There was a quick movement and the sound of choking in the air. I was still being held by the soldier so I could only assume he had quickly punched the guy in the neck or chest before returning to holding me.

"I said not tonight," The Solider repeated, "Tomorrow morning."

"Anything else you want us to do until then?" A different voice, someone just as close.

"Lock this place down. Full security around the perimeter and an extra fleet on her side of the building."

"Yes, Soldier."

We took off again, steadier than the first time I was carried. I leaned into him, pressing my hot cheek against the cool metal of his shoulder. The sound of his boots slowly lulled me to sleep.

-

When I woke up I was comfortable. The room wasn't as large as the one at the mansion, but I enjoyed the smaller space. The only thing it lacked was windows, but I couldn't complain. These people, whoever they were, had saved me.

I sat up, instinctively looking for the soldier. I half expected him not to be there, but he stood stoically in the corner, arms over his chest. He was solid like a watch dog. His mask was gone, but his eyes were covered in dark makeup smudges.

"I didn't think you'd still be around," I muttered.

"It's only five in the morning. You should get some more sleep," He noted and I looked around the room, ignoring what he had just said. I just smiled at the sound of his voice. It was deep, soft, rough, and smooth all at the same time. It was comforting, even if he wasn't trying to be. I was sure his voice could be the lullaby to put me back to sleep.

"Where am I?" I questioned, looking up at him curiously.

"Somewhere safe."

"Those people that came into the mansion," I muttered, "They were after me, weren't they?" I asked and he gave a curt nod, "That doesn't make any sense," I scoffed, "Why would they want me?"

"Someone will answer your questions shortly. My guess, though, is that it's because you're a mutant."

"There's lots of mutants in the world," I looked away sadly. He moved as if he were to take a step towards me, but ended up refraining as he remained by the door. He looked at me with sad eyes, confusion etching across his face as he waited for me to explain, "Most of the ones at the school were special, more powerful," I scoffed, "I can't even lift a book."

The Soldier lifted an eyebrow, "You shot an arrow out of the sky," He reminded me.

"I panicked," I mumbled, "I thought he was going to hurt you."

He looked away, anywhere but my eyes, "We have reason to believe you're more than just a mutant. You have the ability to do something great. We just need to teach you how."

"Good luck," I chuckled, "Why do you think I went to that school?" I asked before focusing my eyes on the wall, "I can't do it... I can't control it. I'm scared I'll hurt someone, or myself. I'm not cut out for this sort of thing."

"Eventually, you'll be able to do it," He assured me.

"I knew you'd come back," I smiled up at him, "You've been watching me, haven't you? That's why you were there so fast once we were attacked," I explained and he remained silent but took a few steps closer to me, "You don't have to answer, because I know the truth. I always knew you were watching me. You're like my own personal guardian," I smiled before reaching out to grab his hand. He took it, his large hands gently caressing my fingers, "Thank you."

"Go to sleep," He replied, moving his hand away from my own as he returned to his spot near the door.

"Will you stay?" I asked and he lifted an eyebrow at me, "Promise me you won't leave again. Please?" I asked.

"I promise."

"Good," I smiled before getting under the covers. I listened to the sound of his boots echoing as he crossed the room, back to the spot near by bed so he could be closer. He once again crossed his arms over his chest, becoming silent as he stood watch like the protector he was.