Status: Working Progress

In the Light of Tragedy

Twelve Years On

It was raining ever so slightly over a small kingdom, the clouds hung low and the air was frigid. A girl lay by the river, naked, unconscious and soaked. Her ribs were oddly visible, her matted hair and privates covered in blood. There were severe scratches framing a once beautiful face that was now aged by abuse. Bruises enhanced her high cheek bones and swelled around her left eye. Her hair was a deep chestnut mixed with fresh, shining crimson that slowly dribbled down to the side of her startling white face. Her feet were in the muddy water, and one hand was dug into the mud. She lay there limp, helpless and used. The rain that landed on her weak body washed the blood that continued to seep out as she came in and out of consciousness, willing herself to hurry up and just die. Nobody would miss her anyway. The only people who cared were the ones using her for their own pleasure, just to dump her once they’re done. A man finished with her only minutes ago up near the path before she passed out, and then dumped her body in the river. She only barely crawled and scraped her way out of the water before giving up.

What hope did she have to seeing the next day?

The time that passed as she laid there could have been nearly hours. She didn’t know, and wouldn’t know. So quietly, a group of men walked along a path that trailed next to the river, but was surrounded by foliage. It was pure luck that one of the six men saw something odd by the river and stopped to have a look. It was then that she was found. The man who found her called out to the others who all came and looked.

“What do we do with her?” The second man asked.

“We should leave her, she’s probably a prostitute.” A third assumed.

The first man looked at the two who spoke and shrivelled up his nose in disgust. He kneeled down beside the girl and lifted her wrist, searching for a pulse. He avoided looking at the bloody parts as he felt her wrist. For a while there was nothing, and a sad sigh left his pursed lips. It was the hint of a pump, but there was still life there. His eyes widened in surprise.

“She’s alive,” he said aloud. The three men who hadn’t spoken began speaking with themselves in hushed whispers.

“She might have diseases, sir,” one said.

“Or she may have been left there for a reason,” another spoke.

The first man looked at all of them, once more with his nose shrivelled up in disgust. He dug his hands into the mud where the girls hand was buried, lifting it out.

“Come give me a hand will ya? Let’s just wash away all the dirt and blood,” He spoke softly and quietly with sadness. The second man who spoke nodded slowly before reluctantly helping the first man, kneeling down and lifting the girls shoulders roughly. The first man lifted her legs and they lowered her into the river. The first man shivered as he entered the icy cold water, quickly washing away the dirt on the girls hand and brushing lightly over her privates removing blood. This proved useless as more blood replaced the cleaned space. He then moved onto her face and hair, washing it hurriedly before quickly getting out of the water.

“Someone hand me your jacket,” He said as he picked up the girl from the second man, taking her out of the water. He watched her face now that it was clear. Her eyes were half open, but it was still assumed she was unconscious. The men grunted, niggling about who should give her the jacket. The first man narrowed his eyes in disappointment and took of his own, sheltering her naked body from the slight wind and rain.

“We take her to the castle so the Queen and King can deal with her,” He said, moving her hair out of her face. A very quiet groan escaped her parched lips but nothing more came from her.

“We can’t possibly take her all the way back, Adam, that’s foolish!” The third man protested. Adam smirked, shaking his head.

“Fine, you all go ahead, I’ll take her back,” Adam pursed his lips. “Henry will accompany me,” Adam looked over at one of the men in the back and shrugged, stepping up beside Adam. The second man rolled his eyes and beckoned for the others to follow him, abandoning those who abandoned their posts. Adam and Henry watched them leave with much regret, but soon hurried off back to the path and retraced their steps back to the village.

Henry ruffled his dark hair as they neared the village entrance, instantly regretting accompanying Adam. “Are you sure this was a good idea?” He said quietly as peasants were looking them over, suspicious of the naked woman under Adams jacket.

“What if it was your daughter, Henry?” Adam spoke furiously but lowly. This was a matter that should be dealt with maturely and delicately. After all, humans do expect the worst. Henry opened and closed his mouth a little before letting out a sigh. Silence dragged on, proving to Adam that he had made the right decision.

Expanded out before them was the village they lived in. It wasn’t small, it wasn’t big, but it held a civilisation of at least 300 people, with more and more nomads wanting to move in. Stone huts and wooden huts of houses lined many dirt streets before opening up to the central “city” market; the general meeting area of folks, providing education to children and trading corners for food and clothing. Basic needs and necessities were available and other practices for people to earn a living. Currency was only introduced eight generations before Adams, and theft became the alternative to those who wished not to work. Although despite the ever changing way of life within this village, they were humble and kind – most of the time.

At the end of the market was a pathway, bordered with stone bricks leading right up to the castle. Every so often there was a guard asking for Adams name, giving him permission to continue. Sometimes a messenger would be running down beside Adam, rushing to pass on some kind of news from the King to his guards. At the end of the path way was the castle itself, boring grey with blue flags and not so many windows. It wasn’t as glorious as many people seemed to think it was, but it was just as important as everybody seemed to think. Not only did it hold the King’s throne, but it provided a government, a way of life for everybody to live in peace. The laws that were beginning to grow were formed in that very castle, and it was well respected with an impeccable reputation.

Adam and Henry walked inside and was greeted by the Kings messengers, awaiting a message to pass on. The man was clothed in blue cotton from head to toe and protected with a chained vest for protection. Adam nodded in greeting, “Can you please tell the King that we have an emergency right here,” Adam gestured with his head towards the girl in his arms. The messenger tipped his nose at the girl, scrutinizing with his eyes, but walked off with his nose in the air towards the lion’s den.

As Adam and Henry waited, they placed the girl against the wall, placed the jacket over her naked body. Henry sat beside the girl, holding her upright but reluctantly touched her bare skin. Later rather than sooner, the King finally arrived.

He did not believe in royal “jewels” or wearing what was supposed to be “royal garments” but instead enjoyed himself in the woollen clothes everybody else would wear. He wore only a blue band around his wrist and a ring around his finger, clothed in browns and blacks.

“Adam! Ah, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes,” The King grinned ear to ear. “Didn’t we just send you off a few hours ago?” He asked. He walked over to Adam, placing a friendly arm around the mans shoulder. Adam smiled back and returned the friendly gesture.

“We sure did, but I came across a girl here who is in desperate need of attention – the kind a good man would give, not the drunks by the bar would,” Adam specified. The Kings eyes dropped to the girl that was put up against the wall on the ground. His eyes skimmed quickly over her and he nodded.

“Yes, of course,” He walked over to her, Henry moving aside. He kneeled down beside her, lifting her chin so he could see her face. He moved the wet hair off her face, revealing the scars and bruises that were hidden by the blood earlier. The King gasped, frowning. “She is alive, is she?” He asked quietly. The girl moved her left hand the tiniest fraction but it was enough to confirm for the King.

“She is, she has a pulse when I found her,” Adam spoke up. The King nodded slowly, pursing his lips. His jaw tensed in a way of irritation.

“Alright,” He began in that of his that indicated thoughtful thinking, as he liked to call it. He placed a thumb over her pulse as Adam had earlier, and discovered a little dark blue band, bonded together by two white opals. He frowned, tilting his head to the side before having a sharp in-take of breath.

“What is it, Nathaniel?” Adam asked, peering over the King’s shoulder. The King shooed Adam away, “Nothing, nothing, I thought I couldn’t feel anything,” He lied smoothly. He felt the girls blood pump very slowly, and weakly, but yes, she was still alive. He moved the band around to see in his own hand, the writing of the girl’s name. Aleria.

“What’s going on here?” A woman’s voice called from the top of the staircase, clothed in a light blue silken dress reaching beyond her toes. Her pale blond hair was tied up above her head, little wispy strands flying around her face. She was petite, and he small face contained crystal blue eyes, a cherry chin and high cheek bones. She was the definition of beauty in the small kingdom, and took the breath away from not only her King, but all the men she ruled over.

“Adam found an unfortunate girl,” Nathaniel called out to her. “Nothing to worry about Lucy,” He turned to face her then with a sad smile on his face. She nodded once and walked back to the way she came. He turned his attention back to the band around the girls wrist before standing up once more. He felt his child hood memories rushing back up to him. A sense of remorse filled his heart as he remembered his vow to find Aleria when they were only 16. Bittersweet memories, and a cruel animosity came from him, mainly towards himself. He felt himself shaking slightly as he stared down at her battered face. Thank god she was alive after all this time. It had been 12 years. Twelve years had gone by and not a single thing had come from her. But no, god no, he did not forget her.

It began to feel like it was only yesterday they were 16, sitting next to the river sharing their first and last kiss before she was taken away, never to be seen again. Then a split second later, 12 years later, here she is, laying almost dead in front of him. The animosity towards her father grew inside of him, and he remember the sweet moment he put him to his death, but it still wasn't enough. Not only did Aleria, in a sense, escape her father, but was then used by others, which was quite evident from the blood seeping from below her waist.

“Get her some water, Adam, I’ll deal with this when she is fully healed and capable of speech,” Nathaniel said before leaving the room hurriedly towards Lucy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we go!

I'm trying this from a different perspective, and if you like it after this first chapter, I'll continue with it! If not, I will alternate, yeah!? :D

Check out my two other stories: Lucid Dreaming and Life (I have no clue how to add a link, derp).

Please comment your thoughts! Thanks!