Silver Bullet

Why would you do this?

Every muscle in my body was aching. When my paws hit the ground it sent pain through my body like an electric shock. I couldn’t stop, I had to push myself harder. I could do this, I just had to keep my wits about be, try not to think about the pain, keep going. The pain meant I was alive, it meant this horror wasn’t a dream, they were really after me.

I wanted to stop for a moment, see if I could hear them. I wasn’t sure how close they were, or maybe I had lost them, and this was all for nothing. I knew these woods like the back of my hand, I’d been living here for a few years in a little cabin my parents had left me.

My parents had been visiting family a few years back, and they were all killed by a hunter. Murdered for being different. We were werewolves, not the monsters people tented to think of when they hear the word. My family was blessed with the ability to transform into wolves, we were free proud creatures. We didn’t harm humans, we tended to keep to ourselves, only going out hunting once in a while for wild game.

Every few years the hunters seemed to track some of us down. They had been around almost as long as we had it seemed. They saw the potential we had to be a threat, so they feared us and wanted us all dead. They brought their children up with that same hatred.

Unfortunately I seemed to have befriended the wrong people. They were the first to be nice to me in a long time, where my family and I kept to ourselves, the people in town thought us odd. So when the twins approached me one day, offering friendship, I jumped at the idea. I knew it would be hard where I had to keep my true self from them, but I had been so lonely since my parents passing.

When I was sitting down to have dinner, Ronnie and Jasmine had burst into my cabin. They held me at gun point, showing their true selves to me. So I had to show them mine. I forced myself to change, threw myself out my bedroom window, and ran. I hadn’t stopped running, I couldn’t. That’s why I was so sore, forcing myself to change like that was excruciating. Not to mention Jasmine had managed to shoot my leg before I disappeared into the trees. Silver was actually poisonous to us, about the only myth that was true. I could feel it seeping through my system over the pain of anything else, it was like liquid fire pumping through my veins.

I was straining to hear anything. It was a dark night, the moon was providing enough light for me to see through the trees, but possibly not the twins. I knew I was close to my hiding spot, it was my version of a panic room. I stopped and looked around, sniffing the air to see if I could pick up that musk Ronnie liked to wear, but there didn’t seem to be any sign of them.

I walked under the large tree root that lead to a little cave under the tree. It was large enough for my five foot three human form to stand up in or lay down comfortably. It was only a hole in the ground, but it was the safest place I had at the moment.

I laid down and slowly willed myself to change back into my human form. I needed to get the bullet out before it did anymore damage. It was painful, my bones breaking themselves and skin ripping, but it mended almost instantly. I was breathing heavily by the time it finished, the pain was almost too much now, it felt like parts of me where going numb from it.

I propped myself up against the wall and looked at my leg. She had gotten me mid thigh, the wound was severely bruised all around, and the silver was turning the veins in my leg black where it had infected. I might be able to save my leg if I worked quickly.

I took a couple deep breaths before digging my fingers into the hole, grinding my teeth together so I wouldn’t cry out, I couldn’t help the small whimpers that escaped me. I managed to pull it out, and it seemed to be whole. I tried to keep taking deep breaths, work through the pain now, I needed to compose myself enough to be able to get out of here.

It was damp and cold in my hideaway, the smell of the dirt was calming. It helped me think of a plan, I didn’t know how well it was going to work, but I was going to try and make it to my aunts house near by.

I couldn’t put myself through the change again just yet. It would have been the faster, possibly safer way, but my body couldn't take that stress until I had to. I crawled up to the opening of the cave and peered out, sniffing the air again to see if I could smell either of them. I might not have the same intense senses as I did as a wolf, but they were still heightened.

I waited a moment to be sure, then made my way out. It may have been silly, but I was starting to become uncomfortable by my human form being naked. I had always felt out of sorts as a human, the real me was a wolf, there was no question. I suppose I didn’t really have anything that human girls would be ashamed of, I was a little curvy, but had a fair bit of muscle from running. I just never felt right in this skin.

I tried to take care not to be seen as I continued to walk, or hobble really. I wasn’t too far from my destination, and there was a lot of coverage from the trees and bushes. I was sure I could make it. Forcing myself to forget the pain I move forward. Luckily I didn’t have to worry about bleeding out, silver was like fire on our skin, and cauterized the wound. I was getting weaker by the minute from the small amount of silver that was making its way through my system. It made me push myself that much harder.

I could see the roof of my aunts cabin, I had done it. I let out a heavy sigh as I continued to walk forward. I was going a little slower now, but I couldn’t stop, not until I really knew I was safe.

A branch cracked to my right, then a loud bang rung through my ears. That unfortunately familiar hot burning pain ripped through my right shoulder. I fell to ground, grasping at my arm. I couldn’t stop the silent tears that were falling from my dark brown eyes. I was so close, so close. But I was too weak from the silver, and now there was more sliding through my veins.

No lights came on in my aunts cabin, I didn't see her car either. She was either hiding, or it was possible that she wasn't home. Neither of those options were ideal for me in this situation. I was alone, I was going to die alone because of my need to not be alone. What cruel irony.

I could hear Jasmines melodic laugh, one that I had come to love, but now made my stomach turn with disgust. Ronnie said something to her that I couldn't quite hear, they sounded happy. I had trusted these people, the first people in years to break down my walls and see who I was. They had betrayed me, they were vial creatures. They were far worse than the monster they believed me to be.

I raised my eyes up once I saw Jasmines boots, she was smirking down at me. I asked, “why would you do this?”

She looked over at Ronnie and chuckled, “why did we do this, Ron?”

“That’s simple,” he knelt down and looked me in the eyes, “we’re doing our part to keep the world safe from monsters like you.”

I felt the cold barrel of his gun against my temple. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, this was the last time I would be able to breathe in the sweet damp air of the forest. It was as if everything stopped for a moment, this was it.

There was a click, immense pain burning through me, and then nothing.