Status: Completed.

All My Heart

Two.

I opened the window, absolutely not expecting what was outside. Zack. Holding his guitar and an envelope. He threw me the envelope and I caught it. I started fingering it but before I was able to open it, he began to strum his guitar and to sing.

...Someone could waste their whole life, helplessly,
Just patiently waiting for a love like you and me.

You still have all of my
You still have all of my
You still have all my heart...


When he was finished, he set on to talk. “Alex, I love you. You still have all my heart. I am sorry. I want nothing more than to have you back.” Then he simply went away, leaving me distraught and confused. I stood there in the cold air until I realized that I might want to get my only lightly-dressed body out of the cold. I closed the window and sat down at my kitchen table, opening the letter.

“Dear Alex,
There’s so many things that I could say, but I’m sure it would come out all wrong. You got something that I can’t explain. I’ll still try and let you know.

You are special to me in so many ways. Remember that first summer we spent, talking late in the night, remember how I’d ask “You think we’d ever make it?” and you always replied with “I’m sure if it’s right”.

I wasn’t strong enough for you and me; I just want you to make me okay again, like you always did. I wish I could make things undone.

I know people talk about us and it was not easy for you with them, but I want you to remember how we laughed at the thought they don’t know what we‘ve got. Every year that goes by, a year older we are. You’ll still be beautiful then bless your beautiful heart. How crazy is it that someone could waste their whole life helplessly waiting for a love like you and me?

I will wait for you, if I have to wait until the end of the world. I still can’t believe you were mine but I was stupid enough to let you go.

You still have all of my heart. And you always will.

Yours,

Zack”

There was a stain on the paper, directly on the words “all of my heart”. A tear stain. I just sat there for a long time after reading it, not even thinking, I was in some kind of haze. Memories of Zack holding me and his smell flooded my brain. How I missed the nights we would stay up until very early, talking about everything and nothing.

It was true that he had hurt me and he had often been not strong enough for us. But still, I believed in him and I hadn’t wanted it to end this way either.

It took me by surprise, but I started crying. All the pain of the last two weeks broke out and soon, I was a sobbing mess.

I realized I wanted to be with Zack. I called Jack to ask for his advice. He was my best friend and always knew what to do.

“Hello? Jack?”

“S’me. Alex?” he answered the phone, coarse voice.

“Jack, Zack just showed up at my house and he played a song for me,” I said, interrupted by hiccups. “And he gave me a letter, probably the best letter I ever received. And there is a tear stain on it,” I added.

There was a small silence on the other end of the line but I swear to god, I heard a little “YES!”

“Alex, I’m so happy for you. I know Zack really regrets what he did and him showing his feelings like this must’ve been a huge hurdle he took. You truly mean a lot to him,” he replied, voice sounding considerably less tired now.

I smiled. My decision was made. I was going to tell him that I loved him too.

“Thank you so much Jack, I will now go and get the two of us together,” I replied enthusiastically.

“Bye Alex. Good luck!”

I tried to make myself look as nice as possible but it was a tough goal. I ended up putting on my bluest shirt and skinnies but I didn’t feel like straightening my hair so I just left it this way and stuffed it into a red beanie.

I left, shoving a little muffin I had made for myself into a cardboard box and stabbing it with a toothpick to which I had attached a note.

He was at home. I rang the doorbell and waited for him to open up. I handed him the cardboard box with the sweet surprise. He opened it and took out the note first.

“I will keep your heart safe.” He read it out loud and looked up at me with the biggest smile, the most beautiful smile in this world. He carefully placed the muffin on the cupboard and threw his arms around me. I breathed in his scent and in this moment I felt whole. He broke the hug only to lean in again to place a kiss on my lips. I kissed him back, feeling his lips twist up even more, one of the best feelings in this world to feel someone smile against your lips. I could feel tears of joy running down my cheeks and as I broke away, I could see that Zack’s face was wet too. I gently wiped away some of the salty tears and kissed his nose.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! :)