Out of the Ashes

"You are Yanking my Chain"

Andie was studying when Lexie came in after dinner. Her long blonde hair was pulled back into a pony tail. “Where have you been all day” she asked.

“I was in here until a few hours ago,” Lexie replied teasingly.

“Fine then where have you been the last two hours then?”

“Having my world turned upside down. If I tell you something can you keep a secret?” Lexie asked.

“Sure I love secrets,” Andie replied excitedly.

“So remember when I told you my mom was MIA?”

“Yeah.”

“Well I never told you, but my dad didn’t tell me much about her. He just said they were high school sweet hearts and she wasn’t ready to be a mom. I never asked to see any pictures. I guess I was afraid to ask too many questions. Well it turns out that the reason my dad sent me here was so that we would meet. “

“Wait so does she live in town or what?” Andie asked.

“Andie Brooke is my mom,” Lexie said her voice growing quiet.

“You are yanking my chain….” Lexie’s face remained serious. “You aren’t yanking my chain you are completely serious. Wow. So does she know?” Andie questioned.

“How do you think I found out? She was talking to another instructor and I overheard. I guess she was planning to tell me eventually.”

“Wow. She must have been really young.”

“They were seventeen. It is so weird I mean I always thought my mom would be this flake you know. I thought she would be a drug addict or just really selfish, but she isn’t. Apparently she regretted leaving me and she didn’t come back because she didn’t want to mess with the life my father had built for us. She felt she didn’t deserve me,” Lexie explained.

“Wow. Well I must admit I am jealous I mean Brooke is pretty awesome. Most of wish she was our mother because she actually cares. Who would have thought she had kid she abandoned ,” Andie said thoughtfully. "I guess we never really know anyone."

“Please don’t tell anyone,” Lexie requested softly.

“Why not?”

“Because I’m not ready to share that information yet. Plus, I don’t want anyone thinking poorly of her. She was just a kid, a scared kid who has given up a lot for me. I know it doesn’t seem like it, but she missed out on so much my dad didn’t. He saw me take my first steps, ride my first bike, my first horse. She missed all that. All she had were the pictures he sent and what little he told her in letters and phone calls. She could have come back, but it would have turned my world upside down,” I replied.

“People will find out eventually, but not from me,” Andie promised.

“Thanks.”

“I have one requirement though to keep your secret... You have to join the team,” Andie Teased.

“Fine,” Lexie groaned before throwing a pillow at her and laughing.