Status: an·gel, noun: a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God

One for the Angels

Day 49

Life had settled back to how it was before. Before Danny, that is. I got up, went to work, came home, and prepared to do the same thing over again. I drew a lot more than usual; mostly of just trivial things: mugs of coffee, my bed, the shop, but occasionally I’d start to draw the outline of a boy. I never got very far with it, though: usually it ended with me crumpling it up and tossing it aside.

As much as I didn’t want to admit it, I really did love Danny. A lot. And maybe that was what sucked the most: as unconventional and strange as our relationship was, I really had fallen for him. Somewhere between the different coffees and fancy desserts, he’d become my entire world. And now I was never going to see him again.

Until I did.

It was a typical day. Danny had been gone for nineteen of them. The wastepaper basket was full of my drawings. I stopped taking my lunch breaks. It was fine. I was on register duty, but no one had come in yet, so I was sneakily working on a sketch of Hannah. Her birthday was coming up, and I planned on giving her a portrait of her, leaning against the counter and looking to the side.

I was so busy concentrating that I didn’t even hear the door open until a voice said, “Hi, I’d like a cup of coffee and an old-fashioned doughnut, please.”

I froze, my pencil hovering over the page in my sketchbook. The voice was familiar, one I never thought I’d hear again. “Room for cream and sugar?” I asked finally. I didn’t look up, afraid that if I did, everything would disappear.

“Yes.”

“Anything else?”

“Nah, just those two. Haven’t had them in a while.”

“Maybe if you’d been here . . .” I didn’t finish my sentence, trying to figure out what to say next. “God, Danny, where the fuck have you been?”

“I know. I’m sorry, Juno.”

Finally, I looked up. The illusion didn’t shatter. His hair was a little longer (that stupid beanie was stuffed on his head still) and his eyes were a little sadder, but he had a small smile on his face as he looked at me. For a moment, I didn’t move, just staring at him, trying to take in every part of his face that I could in case he left again.

“You have a lot of explaining to do,” I said finally.

“I know,” he said quietly, averting his eyes. “And I will.”

“When?”

“Soon.” I got him his coffee and doughnut and he reached into his back pocket, pulling out a wallet. “Look, I can pay for stuff now.” Pleased, he handed me a five-dollar bill.

Slowly, I reached out and took it, but he kept holding my hand. “Please don’t do that ever again,” I said finally. “If you’re gonna leave, at least tell me first. Going out there and seeing nothing, day after day, was just . . . awful.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“I didn’t know if you were okay, or where you were, or why you left . . . you didn’t even say good-bye.” To my surprise (and disgust), I was near tears.

“I’m sorry, Juno. I’m so sorry. I had to go, but I won’t do it again.”

“Promise?” I held out my pinky. He looked at it for a second before he laughed a little and linked it with his his own.

“Promise.”

“Okay. Why don’t we sit down?” Turning to the back, I called, “Hey, Han. I’m going on my lunch break.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Friends . . . Romans . . . countrymen . . . lend me your ears. Or your eyes.

HI IT'S BEEN A WHILE. I hope you can forgive me. Writing a character named Danny is difficult for a few reasons. But we won't get into that.

ENJOY