Status: an·gel, noun: a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God

One for the Angels

Day 100

“Okay,” Danny said nervously. “You remember my sister and mom’s names, right?”

I rolled my eyes. “Amanda and Kim, yes. Not only have you told me like, twenty times, but I’ve also spoken to them on the phone, remember?”

He drummed his fingers on the steering wheel restlessly. It would’ve been cute if it wasn’t so annoying. He’d been back to see his mom and sister one other time alone (I’d inconveniently had to work), but this time I was going with him too. He seemed more nervous about it than I was.

“Dan,” I said. “You should be the one telling me to relax. Not the other way around. It’ll be fine.”

“I just . . . I want you guys to all like each other. You’re the three most important people in my life, you know?”

I smiled. “Yeah, I know. And if they’re anything like you say they are, I think we’ll all get along really well.” We stopped at a red light and I leaned over to kiss his cheek.

He made a face, but it quickly gave way to that smile I loved. We drove the rest of the way in companionable silence. I stared out the window, thinking about Danny’s mother and sister. From the pictures I’d seen of them, they all looked exactly alike: same hair, same kind eyes, same gentle smile. Amanda was three years older than us, studying law, and looked like a real badass. Kim was small and cute and always signed her texts with “Love to you and Juno.” I couldn’t wait to meet her.

Danny hadn’t met my parents, but he had managed to win over Hannah, Tim, and my roommates, which was good enough. I’d attempted to reach out to them and repair our relationship, but so far, none of my calls had been returned. I was sad about it for a while, but then I realized I still had a family; just because I wasn’t blood-related to any of them didn’t mean they didn’t love me any less.

As for Danny and I? We were working it out. He’d gotten a catering job at a restaurant, and I was still at the coffee shop. Living together was a fast way of figuring out if you could stay with someone forever, and while we weren’t sure yet, it was going well. He didn’t like that I was messy and I didn’t like that he hogged the bathroom, but he also made me coffee in the mornings and I always packed his lunch when I knew he’d be working a long event. “20 Questions” was still our preferred way of communication, and life was good.

“We’re here,” Danny said loudly as we pulled into the driveway of a quaint little house with a white fence and a cat roaming the yard.

“I can see that,” I said, unbuckling my seatbelt. I felt a little anxious, but in a warm, excited way. Danny, however, looked like he was going to faint. “Hey,” I said, grabbing his sleeve before he could walk up the driveway. “I got you something.”

He furrowed his eyebrows. “You did? Why?”

“Because I knew you’d be a wreck today,” I said, shrugging. “Anyways, here.” I handed him the pie we’d baked for his mom before I pulled a paper bag out of my purse. We swapped again and I watched him peer inside the bag before he smiled.

“Seriously?”

“That’s your favorite, isn’t it?” I asked.

He pulled out the old-fashioned doughnut and took a bite. “I kind of fucking love you, you know?”

“Yeah, I know,” I said with a grin. “I love you too.”

He ate the doughnut in about three bites before he took my hand and led me up to the front door. Ringing the doorbell, he squeezed my fingers, and I squeezed back.

The door opened and I was met with two people that I hadn’t met, but seemed so familiar already. “Hey, Mom. Hi, Mandy,” Danny said, already going inside and allowing himself to be hugged and kissed. “Guys, this is Juno. Juno, this is my mom and my sister.”

“Call me Kim,” said Danny’s mom warmly. “Please, come in.”

“Is that pie?” Amanda asked, opening the door wider.

The three of them looked at me, waiting to see what I’d do. I took a deep breath, coming inside the house. “Hi,” I said with a smile, and my eyes flashed to Danny’s for a second. He was smiling back. “I’m Juno. I’m so happy to meet you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
AYYYYY that's a wrap folks.

Thank you so much to everyone who commented, recommended, and subscribed to this. It means so much to me and I hope you all enjoyed this!! I'd love it if you checked out some of my other stuff as well.

Thanks so much for reading (✿づ◠‿◠)づ