Status: an·gel, noun: a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God

One for the Angels

Day 5

“I’ve got a treat for you today,” I announced as I went outside. I still wasn’t wearing a jacket. For some reason I could never remember to put one on. But by now I was used to the goose bumps that rose up on my arms. “Well, I mean, maybe. I’m not sure.”

Danny looked up at me. Even though it’d been five days since we’d met, he still hadn’t said a word, much less even smiled at me. It wasn’t like I was expecting some sort of payment for the free food and drink, but I mean, come on, at least a “thank you” would’ve been nice.

“I brought hot chocolate,” I handed him the mug, “and a pumpkin spice cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Now, this one is a bit of a gamble, because it didn’t come from the bakery. I made it. I haven’t tried one yet, so I don’t know if it’s good, but they smelled good in the oven, and the batter tasted good, so. You’re the guinea pig, I guess. Here.” I needed to work on the rambling thing, but whatever.

Danny, who had been sipping the hot chocolate silently, (I still didn’t understand how he never burned his tongue) accepted the cupcake. I watched, feeling a little nervous for some stupid reason, as he took a bite. He chewed for a moment, and then, amazingly, he smiled, and it was soft and warm, like sunlight and home and falling in love. It illuminated his eyes, making them sparkle, like someone had thrown a handful of glitter in them, and it nearly knocked the breath out of me.

I blinked, and just like that, the smile was gone. But I knew it had been there.

“I guess you liked it,” I said, Captain Obvious as usual. He nodded and took another bite and then, to my surprise, broke off a piece of the cupcake and held it out to me. I fish mouthed for a moment before I reached out and accepted it. His fingers were cold, but soft, his nails bitten short. I smiled a little, feeling myself growing fond of a boy I didn’t even know.

When I went back inside, I managed to angle myself at the counter so I had a decent view of the gray beanie and purple sleeping bag outside. And if Hannah made fun of me for it and I denied everything, well, who cared.
♠ ♠ ♠
hello