Status: an·gel, noun: a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God

One for the Angels

Day 18

Now that I knew I was in love with Danny, I tried to figure out what to do about it. For the most part it was nothing, just our typical routine: I continued to bring him drinks and food, and he continued to eat it. Only now, I gave him things like sandwiches and the occasional bowl of soup. Ever since the Salvation Army incident, I refused to give him anything less of a meal, just in case he missed a meeting again.

“You don’t need to baby me, you know,” he complained when I gave him a turkey and cheese panini and a peppermint mocha. “We’re the same age.”

“So?”

So, I don’t want you going out of your way to give me all of this food. I can handle myself, and besides, I only missed the meeting once.”

“Please. I’m allowed to take shit from the case for my lunch break. I just happen to give it to you.” As we spoke, he lifted up the blanket again and I slid under it because it became a regular thing a few days ago, now that it was getting colder. “Besides, I could give you stuff off the cold drinks menu even though it’s February. Would you like that?”

“I’m not complaining,” Danny said sourly, clutching his mocha closer to him like he was afraid I was actually going to take it back and give him lemonade instead. “I’m just saying I feel bad. I have nothing to give you in return.”

“I don’t mind. I like being able to give you things.” I instantly realized how suggestive that sounded, so I coughed and averted my eyes.

“Oh really?” He, apparently, realized it too. I didn’t even need to look at him to know he had a dumb smirk on his face.

“Just drink your peppermint mocha, Daniel,” I mumbled.

He laughed. “Yes ma’am.”

I wasn’t really sure what this was anymore, if we were just joking around or if it was actual flirting that was eventually going to lead to something deeper. When I went inside, Hannah asked, “How come I never get to meet this Danny boy?”

“You could if you wanted to. He’s literally right outside,” I said.

“Eh. Too far of a walk. The real question is when are you going to bone him right there on the cold sidewalk?”

“Okay, first of all: if we were to bone, it would absolutely not be on the sidewalk. And second, I don’t even know if he likes me like that.”

“Oh, sweetie,” Hannah said fondly. “Let me teach you the ways.” Even though she was only two years older than me. “A boy is never going to willingly admit he likes you. At least not right away.”

“Why not?” I said, whining a little.

“Because they’re boys, silly. And boys are dumb. Loveable, but dumb.”

“So what do I do?”

“Easy. You drop hints, little ones, not huge ones, and then you let him come to you. And if he’s interested, he will.”

“How do I know he’s interested?”

She gave me a look. “You’re probably the only girl in the world who will willingly give food and hang out with a homeless boy. How could he not be? Plus, being out on the streets probably doesn’t give him much time to meet chicks. You’re in the clear. Trust me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
these next chapters are just gonna be mindless flirting and so much fluff you'll need a dentist appointment, just a fair warning.

also, I know that I go from like Day 12 to Day 15 and so on and so forth, but Juno visits Danny during the inbetween days too. So she's visited him Day 12, Day 13, and Day 14 as well as Day 15. I just can't think of enough drink and food combinations to write down every single day, plus the story would be long and boring as fuk. but yeah, just thought I'd clear that up in case anyone was confused :~)