Elation

She was everything.

She smiled, and she laughed.
She smiled and she laughed and the room lit up, and the lamps made the scene look golden.
It was warm inside, and cold outside, and in her ugly red and white christmas sweater she carried on in her fit of laughter. Her whole body shook, making the light glint off of the honey highlights in her hair. Her eyes, briefly covered by her bangs before she pushed them aside, sparkled with mischief and mirth, and as I succumbed to the laughing fit she brought upon the room I realized that I had never seen anything, or anyone, so beautiful.
I had never experienced a single moment in time as beautiful as this one and that thought made my chest hurt. I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes and wasn’t sure where they came from. Happiness? Sadness? Awe? I didn’t know, but I tried my hardest to keep them in and enjoy what was in front of me.
Maybe it was fear. Fear that I’d never be able to experience that kind of beauty ever again. That fleeting moment of wonder would be the best I ever had.
But as I looked over at her flushed face and tousled hair, I realized that I didn’t care. That moment, with her, was all that mattered. It was all that was.