The Boss’s Unconventional Assistant

Chapter 2

With Croix settled into a legitimate business meeting, Lyner felt it was safe to leave her desk. She made sure to keep her phone with her. While unauthorised personnel and the general public aren’t exactly allowed on the floors higher than six, it was difficult to ensure that no one would venture further into the building. Some of them were genuine mistakes, having gotten lost in such a massive building. They weren’t threats and treated as such.

Others, however…What better way to get a billionaire’s undivided attention than to burst into his office dressed in high-heels, short skirts and low cut blouses? After all, all billionaires are sex-starved beasts waiting for the next conquest.

No, really, it had happened before.

Taking the lift to the top floor, Lyner stepped out into a large open room filled with desks, computers and TV monitors. The entire top floor was dedicated to security. Normally, the boss’s main office was on the top floor as he was the head of the business. However, after one too many encounters of a MFOS barging onto his floor, Croix decided to locate to some random floor, in some secluded corner.

The security of the Blue Zircon Enterprise was probably more advance than those of your average million and billion dollar business. The security personnel were highly trained in hand-to-hand combat, hostage negotiation, counter terrorism and assessing dangerous situations.

They were the most highly skilled counter-operatives in the country.

Lyner walked over to the head of security chief, Randolf. He was a tall man with neatly combed brown hair and gentle brown eyes, which was a bit of a contrast to his broad shoulders and powerfully toned muscles. He could be sweetly negotiation with someone to busting their heads through the wall in a matter of seconds.

A very trustworthy man.

“Randolf!”

Looking up from a security television screen, a smile appeared on Randolf’s face as Lyner approached. “Hello, Lyner. What brings you here today?”

“It’s that time of year again,” Lyner answered as she stood in front of Randolf’s desk that was covered in the latest technical equipment and gadgets.

Randolf winced. “We’re hiring already?”

Hiring new employees was always a time of fear and uncertainty for everyone involved. What better way to get close to Croix then to work for him. What these socialites don’t seem to understand, though, was that if they do managed to get hired they are expected to actually work. Shocking, right?

They also don’t seem to understand that a secretary or receptionist role was an entry level position. They stayed on the first floor and handled most of the face to face enquires or answering the phones. There was virtually no need for them to get involved with Croix, to speak with him or have any contract. Certainly no reason for them to prance around in his office.

Lyner was the one who worked alongside with Croix, she dealt any calls directed to him and handled his schedule. She was his personal assistant, after all.

“It’s mostly data entry,” Lyner said to Randolf. “But you know how some of the MFOS are like.”

“Absolutely,” Randolf sighed as he stood up and walked over to the extensive filing system. “Do you want the short version of the files or the whole file themselves?”

“Short versions, please,” Lyner replied. “I won’t have enough time to go through the actual files.”

Randolf laughed, but it was a dry, humourless laugh. “They’re getting larger and larger.”

Lyner nearly stumbled under the weight of the vast number of files. “Ugh, thanks,” she muttered.

“Need any help with that?” Randolf offered.

“You have more important things to do,” Lyner replied as she adjusted her grip on the files. “Croix has three meetings today, only two are legitimate.”

“Only three?” Randolf questioned, his brow furrowing in concern.

His concern was justifiable. Just because Lyner had denied most of those who requested a meeting with Croix didn’t mean that those she had turned down wouldn’t turn up out of the blue to demand a face-to-face meeting. Breaking in and strutting around like they were entitled to, making outrageous demands and ‘wowing’ everyone with their ‘feistiness’.

It had happened before and it would happen again.

“You’ll need to be extra vigilant today,” Lyner said as she turned around, intent on making her way back to her desk. She didn’t like to leave it unattended for too long. “Counting on you.”

“We’ll do our best.”

-----------------------------------------------

The employment ad had only been up for a couple of hours but there have been several hundred applicants already. Thankfully, Lyner wasn’t the one in charge of shifting through all the resumes. The Human Resources department were in charge of that.

However, Lyner was the one to check and re-check those who got through to the interview stage. Most of the applicants were genuine, but others were not. Those Money and Fame Obsessed Socialites would put anything and everything on a resume to ensure that they would get through to the interview stage.

The files that she had retrieved from the security room were documents on ‘repeat offenders’. While their names and appearances would change, their MOs pretty much stayed the same. They were all ‘perfect’ for the job.

Lyner was pulled from her filing when her phone rang. Her personal phone. And she immediately recognised the number. It was security.

“Hello?” Lyner answered the phone.

“Hey Lyner.” It was Jack, a quirky and rough-around-the-edges man who worked alongside with Randolf. “We have a suspicious woman heading to your floor.”

Lyner frowned. “Suspicious in what way?”

“She’s wearing a cocktail dress and stiletto heels.”

Right, hardly the attire of a businesswoman. Jeez, they weren’t exactly subtle, were they? Made it easier for them to identify, though.

“Ok, thanks for telling me,” Lyner said with a sigh. “Send someone down here just in case.”

As soon as Lyner hung up her phone the lifts dinged and the doors opened. As the doors slid open, a stunningly beautiful woman stepped out. She had fiery red hair that cascaded down her back in fiery ringlets, her eyes a piecing icy blue. Cocktail dress was a very accurate description of what she was wearing. It was black in colour with a very low cut front that did absolutely nothing to hide her ample cleavage. It was also short, barely covering the seductive curl of her ass.

Her blood red high heels clicked loudly against the floor as she walked down the hallway, treating it much like a model's runway. Each step she took was purposeful and the sway of her hips seductive. Her hair, long and lush 'swished' as she casually pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear.

With each person she walked past, she gave them a particular look - one of pure scorn at the guys, as if despairing that they were looking at her with lust in their eyes. And smug confidence at the women, as if relishing in the fact that they were jealous of her gorgeous appearance.

However, what Lyner could see that this currently unknown woman didn't was the expression of bewilderment and annoyance on the faces of those she sashayed past.

Clearly, the other employees looked as impressed as Lyner felt. Not impressed at all. In fact, the way their shoulders sagged and the way they shook their heads as they continued walking spoke volumes.

"Not another one..." they were probably grumbling under their breaths.

Lyner sighed and thanked whoever was listening that Croix was currently away from his office. So even if this woman somehow found a way barged into his office with dazzling flare, she wouldn't be able to get to him.

Better send him a warning text to stay away, though.

Busy with her phone, Lyner didn’t pay much attention to the woman as she drew closer. There was no point in getting alarmed at the moment as her target wasn’t even on the same floor. Besides, security would be turning up silently soon. They won’t get confrontational yet, only when the woman did.

Giving Lyner a very conceited and irritated glare, the woman walked past Lyner’s desk and over to the door leading into Croix’s office. Flicking a strand of hair over her shoulder, she placed her hand on the door handle and turned. But instead of bursting into Croix’s office with sass and feistiness, she crashed into the door.

Lyner snorted as she tried to hold back a laugh. Well that didn’t go according to plan, did it?

“Mr Bartel isn’t in his office at the moment,” she said in a disinterested manner as she sent off her text. “Besides, it’s against company policy for meetings to be held in his personal office.”

Looking disgruntled, the still unknown woman spun around and stalked over to Lyner’s desk to glare viciously at her. Her glare was probably meant to be so intimidating that Lyner would immediately squeak out an apology and offer her assistance. But Lyner had training in mix-martial arts and self-defence.

So, yeah, she wasn’t remotely intimidated.

“You’re Croix’s secretary?” the woman simpered at her, a mocking smirk on her lips. “Surprising.”

Lyner raised an eyebrow. “What’s surprising?”

Flicking a strand of her hair over her shoulder, the stunningly gorgeous woman standing in front of Lyner’s desk continued to look smug. “How plain looking you are,” she quipped, sounding amused. “Getting Croix’s attention is going to be easy.”

“Getting it, maybe,” Lyner retorted. “But can you keep it?”

A scowl immediately appeared on the woman’s face. “I am more than a pretty face,” she snapped.

“Then maybe you should stop acting like it?” Lyner suggested, unable to stop herself.

The woman’s scowl deepened further. “How dare you?” she hissed.

“What exactly is it that you want?” Lyner went on to ask, getting rather fed up with this bickering. She had better things to do.

The woman rolled her eyes as she folded her arms under her bust to enhance her womanly charms, seemingly unaware that they won’t work on a fellow woman like Lyner. “I have a personal connection with Croix and wish to put forward a business proposal.”

“And that would be?”

“None of your business!”

Lyner sighed as she rolled her eyes. “I’m afraid it is.”

The woman sent her another scathing glare. “Where is Croix?” she demanded.

“Not here.”

“Listen here, you little bitch,” the woman suddenly hissed as she planted her hands on Lyner’s desk and leaned forward in an intimidating manner. “You don’t know who you’re dealing with.”

“You’re right, I don’t.”

“I am Annalise of the Mito dynasty,” the woman finally introduced herself, glaring at Lyner with such contempt and hatred as if her name alone was enough to induce fear into her. “Don’t play games with me. I am in a precarious situation and only Croix will be able to get me out of. Do not get in my way.”

Lyner gave her a blank look. Nothing said ‘feistiness’ like threatening the staff. She’ll be sure to leave everyone around her in stunned silence and open awe with her boldness. And what a better way to show to everyone how they should go out of their way to help!

“Let me guess; your own business, which you created in order to prove to your dynasty family that you are an independent woman, is under threat of going bust and since that business is so important to you, you are willing to sell yourself to Croix to become his wife of convenience where you will act as his dutiful wife and he’ll pay off your bills while getting a sexy bed partner out of the deal?” Lyner prattled off quickly before tilting her head to the side in question. “Did I miss anything?”

Annalise physically reeled back, her mouth agape from surprise and disbelief. She stared at her for a few moments, seemingly unable to make some sort of a comeback.

Lyner, however, couldn’t help but sigh in exasperation. If she had a dollar for every time she encountered this scenario she’d be richer than Croix!

Honestly, women like Annalise annoyed Lyner so very much. Whether her story was true or not didn’t matter. They think that if they wore a tight dress, act ‘boldly’ and offer their bodies as payment, then men like Croix would forget all sense and logic, and agree just so they could make this ‘bold’ and ‘thoroughly independent’ woman their sexual conquest.

It was so infuriating!

What was more annoying was the fact that the woman would go into this ‘arrangement’ treating the man as nothing more than a playboy, expecting him to treat her like a princess and whom she could change and tame with her sweet innocence and tender determination.

As Annalise began to splutter something about being Croix’s perfect match, born for him or something, and how he would immediately be tempted by her sensual curves and serious aloofness, Lyner motioned to the pair of burly security guards who were lingering in the background, waiting for their cue.

Annalise continued to shriek something about how she’s a powerful woman and will make everyone who defied her pay greatly as she was dragged away by the security guards. She kicked and screamed as the two security guards held onto her easily, pushing her into the lift. When the doors closed, blissful silence fell over the floor.

Lyner sighed again as she slunk back into her chair. She glanced at her phone, noticing that Croix had texted back. He stated that his meeting was thankfully over and whether or not it was safe for him to venture through his own business building.

Quickly jotting down the name Annalise Mito, Lyner decided to escort Croix back to his own office.

And it wasn’t even lunch time yet…