The Boss’s Unconventional Assistant

Chapter 4

Having a bit of free time as Croix attended an afternoon meeting (and the last of the legitimate ones), Lyner decided to make herself useful by going through some of the more ‘dodgy’ resumes that always came in whenever the Blue Zircon Enterprise advertised an open position. Apparently, the fact that they were hiring out for one position meant that the MFOSs believe that ALL positions were up for grabs.

Mostly secretarial and personal assistant positions. Positions they figured would grant them the most interaction with their sexy boss, Croix.

Glancing at the resume at the very top, Lyner frowned. It appeared as if the office document shredder was going to get one hell of a workout today. While one wouldn’t blame her for just throwing the entire stack of resumes into the shredder, Lyner wanted to make sure that the legitimate job seekers had a chance as it wouldn’t be fair on them to have their resume simply thrown out because of selfish gold-diggers.

Yes, there were those who really just wanted to work for Croix. But there was plenty more who wanted to work on getting Croix to fall madly in love with them.

Rolling her neck to get herself ready for what she might encounter, Lyner opened the first resume with a sense of trepidation.

The first thing she saw was a photo. A large one at that. And not a simple profile photo either. In it was a young woman with rich brown hair with natural blonde highlights. She had ‘dazzling’ green eyes, of which were winking seductively at the camera with her bright red lips twisted into a sensual pout.

She looked like she was trying to apply for a modelling job and not a…

…Personal Assistant…

Of course.

Clarabelle Daulton…? She had heard that name somewhere before.

After a quick internet search (good ol’ google) Lyner got her answers. Clarabelle appeared to be an actress of sorts, yet her biggest starring role appeared to be that of a Café Patron #3. There was nothing giving Lyner any indication that she would be even remotely qualified for the job – especially for such an important role.

The attached photo was definitely and completely out of place. Obviously appearances were important to her and she was probably hoping that her appearance would be enough to grant her a job.

Lyner’s job.

Ok, so the fact that she was after Lyner’s job instantly made her loath her very existence. Why wouldn’t it? But what really got on her nerves was the fact that this MFOS seemed to think that being a PA was easy, that all you needed to do was look pretty, flirt with the boss and prance around looking pretty.

It might come to a shock to some, but being a Personal Assistant was not easy.

Running her gaze quickly over the content of the resume, Lyner felt like rolling her eyes. The resume was simply glowing about how personality wise she would be utterly perfect for the role as a PA, how she was bubbly and easy to get along with. There was nothing about her working background or even education. A pretty poorly made resume. Clearly she was hoping that the photo was all that she needed.

The sound of her phone ringing pulled Lyner from her thoughts. Pushing aside the resumes, she picked her ear piece and pressed the answer button.

“Blue Zircon Enterprise, Lyner speaking.”

“Put me through to Croix,” a feminine voice demanded.

Instantly, Lyner became on edge. “Mr Bartel isn’t taking any calls at the moment.”

There was an obvious exasperated sigh. “This is important,” she insisted.

Uh huh, they all were.

“What is the purpose of this call?” Lyner asked as she jotted down the phone number shown on the phone register.

“I fail to see how it’s any of your business,” the woman snapped before sighing loudly again. “It’s about a job.”

Lyner had figured as much. “If you wish to apply for the Data Entry position, you will need to hand in a resume-”

“Oh please, data entry?” the woman scoffed loudly, sounding a little insulted. “I’m overqualified for that job. I’m looking to offer my assistance to Croix personality.”

Lyner narrowed her eyes. She had the sneaking suspicion that this woman was Clarabelle. What were the odds? “Personal Assistant?” she asked.

“Only position that would be acceptable for someone like me.”

Seemed like the odds were pretty good…

“Unfortunately, you are currently speaking with Croix’s Personal Assistant,” Lyner stated firmly and without any room for argument. “The role of which you are applying for is already filled and I can assure you that I have no intention of leaving my job nor is Mr Bartel looking to have me replaced. If that is all, please stop sending in your underqualified resume for a role that is not available.”

There was a stunned silence on the other end of the phone, but it was quickly broken by a shrill sound of disbelief and indignity. “Excuse me?!”

The woman proceeded to shrill something about being perfectly qualified for the position and how her bright personality and brilliant ability to fulfil any role, but Lyner had heard it all before, so simply hung up. She knew, however, that it won’t be the last she’ll hear of Clarabelle.

No, she was fairly certain that Clarabelle would be making her grand appearance soon enough. If she couldn’t intrigue Croix with her nonsensical resume, then she’ll entice him with her stunningly gorgeous looks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lyner only managed to get through a couple of the ‘dodgy’ resumes before she had to take a break. They really were absolute nonsense. Every single one of them so far had been looking for her job. Without the fear of sounding bias, absolutely none of them were even remotely qualified.

In all honesty, Lyner would love nothing more than to find someone who could help her with her ‘job’ of taking care of MFOSs. She only worked three days out of five day week (Croix did not work weekends). As much as she would love to help Croix as much as she could, she needed to ensure that their home was also MFOS free.

Although Croix was a billionaire, he didn't have a million dollar mansion. He had several properties scattered throughout the world. If he had a mansion, the MFOS would have an easier time tracking him down. But since he had several homes (Lyner had lost count how many to be honest) he could be anywhere. That didn't mean a MFOS wasn't desperate enough to lie in wait at a location, in a certain place so that she could 'accidentally' bump into Croix in a dazzling and magically way to catch his heart. But it did mean that there were less of them. MFOSs weren't in cahoots with each other.

Every woman for herself, it seemed.

After taking great joy in shredding Clarabelle’s resume (she kept her photo just for security sake as she would definitely be a repeat offender), Lyner turned to go back to her desk. As she did, the lift doors dinged and she glanced over as reflex. The one who stepped out of the lift made Lyner sigh and her shoulders sag in exasperation.

Pulling off her sunglasses (which she probably should have done the moment she stepped out of the sunlight) as she stepped out of the lift, a woman about Lyner’s age immediately strutted towards Croix’s office. She was wearing a black shirt with white pinstripes on it and a grey waistcoat that hugged her curves and amplified her already more than amplified bust. She also wore a black miniskirt (and she really did mean mini) over black fishnet stockings and towering stiletto heels.

Her hair reached her lower back and it was a lovely rich brown in colour with numerous natural blonde highlights. The layering has made her hair seem slightly more bouncy, and has been cut so that a wave of hair filters down just past her right eye, which were a dazzling green in colour, surrounded in thick, black lashes.

When Lyner figured that she would encounter Clarabelle face to face at a later stage, she wasn’t anticipating just an hour or so later…

Well, it seemed that Clarabelle had figured that the very second that Croix spied her picture he would demand that she would come in for a one-on-one interview with him in the privacy of his office.

Lyner walked over to her desk and sat down in her chair as Clarabelle walked straight past and reached for the door for Croix’s office. Of course, the door was locked and no matter how much she pushed and knocked on the door, no one was letting her in.

“Mr Bartel isn’t in his office at the moment,” Lyner said, words that were quite common for her to say every single working day. “It is also against business policy for Mr Bartel to hold meetings in his office.”

Greatly annoyed that she didn’t achieve her grand entrance like she had been anticipating, Clarabelle turned around and glared at Lyner in an accusing way. Like it was her fault that she wasn’t in Croix’s office, dazzling him with her sensuality and creatively. Or something.

Suddenly, Clarabelle threw her head back on a mocking laugh. “You’re his Personal Assistant? Pfft. You’re so ugly!”

Lyner’s left eye twitched. She had the powerful urge to mention something about how Clarabelle’s far too thick make-up made her look like an oil painting but decided against it. After all, it would be stooping down to this idiot’s level.

“One’s appearance doesn’t indicate to one’s skill,” Lyner said instead.

But that only made Clarabelle laugh again. “Then you must be very talented at working on a computer!”

Lyner had to pause for a moment…Clarabelle kinda insulted herself as well, in a way. If looks did allude to what skills a person had, then she was saying that she didn’t have anything to offer but her looks. Lyner would point that out, but Clarabelle probably wouldn’t understand anyway.

“What’s going on here?”

Crap, Croix! Lyner was hoping that the meeting would last a bit longer!

“Oh, Croix,” Clarabelle smiled as she fluttered her stunning eyes at Croix, her hand flying up to play with the collar of her shirt that framed her mesmerizing bust. “Good afternoon.”

Croix looked her up and down, and Clarabelle enjoyed it immensely. She chewed on her bottom lip and pulled back her shoulders in order to make her full bust even more hypnotic. She was hoping that he would take one look at her where lust would fill his eyes and immediately invite her into his office for a private meeting.

However, Croix simply raised an eyebrow and abruptly turned his attention to Lyner, virtually giving Clarabelle the cold shoulder. “Any calls while I was out?” he asked her as he flipped through some of the files he was carrying his hands.

“Nothing of importance,” Lyner replied, not at all surprised by Croix’s lack of response to the buxom woman standing nearby. “The HR department are requesting that we move the closing date for the Date Entry Clerk forward, though.”

“That would only lead to more hassle,” Croix answered with a shake of his head. And he was right. Moving the date would only punish the genuine job searchers, not the most loathed MFOSs.

“Ahem!”

Croix momentarily glanced up from his files to give Clarabelle a really rather bland look. “What?” he asked.

Clarabelle looked absolutely annoyed and surprised that Croix seemed to ignoring her and by the fact that he didn’t immediately escort her into his office. She looked obviously bewildered, as if no one had ever ignored her before in his life.

“Glasses, hm?” Clarabelle said as she suddenly plastered a smile on her lips and fluttered her dazzling eyes. “They only make you look more handsome.”

Then, without warning, she boldly reached forward and pulled Croix’s glasses right off of his face. “Whoops!” she giggled as she took a couple of steps backwards, twirling the glasses around in her hands.

Lyner instantly felt greatly annoyed and aghast by her utter disregard for the business setting around them while Croix sighed with sheer irritation.

“Give those back,” he hissed lowly.

Clarabelle giggled as she held the glasses behind her back. “Hm…No.”

Croix narrowed his eyes in a completely unamused manner.

“No need to look like that,” Clarabelle continued to giggle sensually and sent him an all too flirty wink. “Come on; learn to smile, would you? I’ll give them back if you give me a kiss.”

Lyner felt herself twitch again as she hauled herself to her feet abruptly. Without warning she leaned over her desk and harshly snatched back Croix’s glasses, not giving Clarabelle even the remote chance of reacting. Ignoring the look of shock and disgruntlement on Clarabelle’s face, Lyner walked out from behind her desk and purposely placed herself between Croix and Clarabelle, turning her back on the brown-hair-with-natural-blonde-highlights woman.

“Here,” Lyner said as she pulled out a cleaning cloth and gave the glasses a good clean to remove the oily fingerprints on the lenses. “We don’t have time for immature games.”

Croix allowed Lyner to replace his reading glasses upon his nose and ears before indicating to the indignant and silently seething MFOS standing much too close to the both of them with a tilt of his chin. “What’s her story?” he asked plainly.

“She’s a failed D-grade actress,” Lyner explained. “And she’s applying for a Personal Assistant role, probably because she realised that her Hollywood dream wasn’t panning out so decided to find a billionaire to look after her instead.”

Croix snorted harshly. “I require one PA and I have one already.”

“Her?” Clarabelle abruptly shrilled in complete and utterly disbelief. “Really? Honestly?”

A look of protectiveness appeared on Croix’s face as he snapped closed his files and glared at Clarabelle. “Her. Really. Honestly.”

“Wouldn’t you prefer someone as pretty as me instead?” Clarabelle spluttered, not truly believing what she was hearing.

Croix’s eyes narrowed further. “I prefer someone competent, trust-worthy, intelligent and most importantly, actually useful,” he snapped. “Which I already have. Her natural beauty is simply a bonus.”

Lyner blushed lightly at his compliments, but smiled warmly at him nonetheless.

“Lyner, call for security, please,” Croix said as he sighed loudly and hefted the files under his arm, heading toward his office.

“Right away.”

Not five minutes later, Clarabelle was literally dragged kicking and screaming through the building, spouting something about needing a fresh start and how her loveliness would brighten up Croix’s grey existence.

Lyner made her way back to her desk, feeling a little bit better. However, Croix’s third meeting for the day was coming up – a meeting she was a little edgy about. She can’t let her guard down yet!
♠ ♠ ♠
I’ve decided to keep this as a PG-13 rating. I’m having too much fun writing these over the top clichés. I’ll work on a purely smutty story later on.