Status: A quickie for a contest.

Love Fool

2/3

It's been weeks since I've last seen her and I can't get Pheobe out of my head. She's a prostitute, she's probably been with multiple people for a while. I can't imagine her catching feelings at all for anyone so why should I? I'm an honest person, really. If I think I have a thing for you, I'm going to tell someone about it. No way in hell can I just come out and tell her I think we should be a thing but guarantee I'll tell half my family and 10 friends.

"Pete," I grunted. I pushed up on the weights and my friend helped me put it back on it's brace. I wiped the sweat from my head and sat up on the bench. "Have you ever liked someone you know you shouldn't?" He handed me my water bottle with a giant smile on his face.

"Who is she?" Pete went over to the Pex Fly machine and I groaned at my sore muscles and sat next to him at the Chest Press. "Is it that girl from the bar yesterday?"

I shook my head and adjusted the weights to 200. "No, just answer me man. Have you?"

"Well," he grunted as the weights fell back down the pulley system with a loud clank. Pete leaned over and changed the weights back to 190. "Yea, but fuck it. Seriously, if I want to do something to make me happy in the moment why should I hold myself back? Just because a few bastards might not like it?"

I pushed my arms together feeling them quiver slightly. We've been at the gym for hours now and my entire body is screaming at me to go home. But I can't. Working out clears my head. "Yea, but it's just morally wrong. Like you know you're gonna get hurt in the end." I grunted and pumped my arms harder.

Pete laughed. "You can tell the future? Cool. We could make some money off of that."

I shook my head feeling the sweat fly off the tips of my hair. "Shut up."

"Who's the chick?" He asked again. I sighed and sucked in a breath and continued to pump my arms in frustration.

"Phoebe."

"Who?" The weights on Peter's machine clanked again as he got off the seat and began to stretch in front of me.

10 more sets and I'll stretch too. I gotta work off this frustration and indecisiveness. "The prostitute you sent me."

Pete sat up from his leg stretches. "You can't be serious." I nodded and continued through my sets. "Dude." He groaned. His body flopped over onto his legs. "I support your decision but it was a one night stand. She's not gonna like you back."

I finished my sets and got off the Chest Press. I trudged over to the stretching area with a scowl on my face. I heard Pete follow behind me like a duckling. "You just said that I don't know the future." I said doing jump squats. Pete started to plank.

"Yea," grunt. "But she's a prostitute!"

"Oh, so now prostitutes," grunt. "Don't have feelings."

Pete stood up and started stretching his arms. "I didn't say that. But think of the odds of her actually falling for one of her clients."

I reached down to touch my toes and got into a downwards dog. "Forget I even asked, man. Thanks for the pep talk."

Image

"Are you okay, Jasper?" I stopped stirring the left over foam in my coffee cup. I looked up at her big blue eyes. Her signature red lipstick was slightly rubbed off.

"Yea, I'm fine. Just thinking of some stuff," I said looking back down into the cup. Her eyes alone has the power to make me nervous. I'm never really nervous about anything but when it comes to relationships I'm a 13 year old girl.

"Well, talk about it." Phoebe was the type of girl who doesn't put out bullshit. In the short time that I've known her, it's obvious she's straight to the point and doesn't beat around the bush. I love that about her. But it's also what scares me a lot. The shorter woman stared up at me from across the table with anticipation in her eyes. Her small bare arms seemed to shake in the cold coffee shop. Should I do that thing where I give her my jacket? Or is that just weird? "Well?" She said once she noticed my staring. Instead of answering her, I analyzed her. Yes, it's inveterate I'm too strange to be in public.

Sucking in a deep breathe I looked into her big aquamarine eyes. "Why are you here?" I dictated tapping my fingers on the table. I felt my face turn red and my head hang low. It's like her eyes bored into my head.

"Obviously I'm hanging out with a friend," she retorted. "What's wrong?"

I sighed and looked up at her, frustrated with myself. "You're a prostitute."

Her face heated up and formed a scowl. Her jaw clenched and her eyes squinted at me. "What's your point?"

"You could have any guy you want in the entire world but yet you're stuck with me. Why are you hanging out with one of your clients?" I answered monotonically.

Phoebe looked at me dumbfounded. "I really don't know." I laughed sarcastically. Fucking fantastic. More confusion. "I guess I like you more than I should."

"So you regret liking me?"

She sat back in her seat. "Yes. I regret catching feelings for you Jasper. I'm not good for you."

I leaned in forward and brought a fist down on the table. "Why the hell not?!" I hissed. I don't believe my ears right now. She can't just act like everything was fine and then say I'm not allowed to catch feelings for her. That's not how life works.

"I'm a fucking prostitute!" She whispered. "I sleep with people 24/7 just to make someone above me happy. Just to get money and survive on Earth. Do you really want to get tangled in that mess?!" Her voice came down low and quick. The public surrounding us must have heard at least a few words out of that. I could feel tension rising throughout the whole shop. Phoebe must have felt it too. She looked around with a worried look on her face. "I don't want to argue here."

I got up and grabbed my leather coat. We both rushed out the coffee shop as I fumbled with my keys, a bitter look on my face. Jumping into the car, I didn't start it up. I just sat there and dwelled in my own anger. I felt the anxiousness bubbling around in my chest; heating up and bouncing around my rib cage. How is this gonna escalate? "Look, I really don't care about your occupation. That however; does not give you a right to play around with my emotions."

Phoebe looked over at me enraged. "Me?! I'm playing around with your emotions? How about you stop fucking around with mine! Ever since that night we've been texting and calling and I can already tell you're trying to jump into a relationship that could hurt you. You jump into the pool to quickly, Jasper."

"At least I can admit something!" I roared.

Phoebe laughed. "Yes, you admit it after weeks of shyness and indecisiveness!" She knows me. She fucking knows me.

I let out a groan of anger and frustration. Starting up the car, I drove back to my house and parked in the garage. It was silent all the way, anger and tension engulfing both of us in the car.

I fumbled around with my keys to unlock the back door. "It's not a matter of me being confused if this is a good idea or not- it's a thought and dream to see if what we have between us could actually work." I said calmly as possible. "I know for a fact when you slept with me, you felt something. I know it. I felt something too. It wasn't just casual sex like you probably have with other people. It was way more than that. And the fact that you're pushing yourself away from me isn't right."

"You don't know what's right for me, Jasper." The rage in her voice was evident as day. "Your an open book, it's easy to figure you out. You can't read me at all."

"Oh, really?" We both walked into the house and I jumped onto the couch, sitting down. Phoebe sat down across from me- it's like we switched places since the last time we were physically together. "I know that something isn't right where you live. You're scared of going home." Her face twitched. I hit a nerve. "On the night we met you said 'At least I won't have to go home.' My best guess is whoever is pimping you out is an abusive asshole. I know that you're the most down-to-earth girl I've ever met. You're straight forward and you don't like to bullshit people. You're to the point no matter the situation."

"Okay, shut up! Shut up!" I could see the tears forming in her eyes. She was holding back tears and her lips trembled. "I'm just not good for you, okay? This can't work. I tried to give it more a friendly atmosphere. You gotta move on from me- you have to drop all feelings." She stood up to leave.

I bolted from my seat and grabbed her viciously. "Don't tell me what I need to do," I growled. "I need you. I'm falling for you and it's so fucking obvious. Don't leave."

Phoebe's eyes; the perfect combination of sapphire and emerald started to overflow with tears. "I'm sorry." I loosened my grip on her waist and she ran away from me. I lost her. She's no longer mine. Whatever connection we established is completely disintegrated.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been in and out of the hospital for like 3 weeks so uhm yea, here you go.