Status: - Being Written -

Poisoned Edge

Skill

Image
Rosa watched her surroundings, mindful of all the people of various races and levels of society wandering around the market square. Her closest companion and charge at her side, Elia Martell.

It had been seven years since she had been whisked away from the Capitol by Prince Oberyn Martell, brought to the sandy shores of Dorne. She rather enjoyed the warmth of Sunspear, the people as well. No one judged you here, they all made her feel like it was her home, none more so that Elia herself.

She and Elia had been trained day and night by Oberyn himself in the arts of combat – taught the ways of the viper himself, from dusk until dawn some nights. He filled their heads with wonderful tellings of his worldly adventures, as well as the horrors that he had to face in order to find the goodness in this world. They enjoyed every moment of it, knowing that it was imperative that they learned anything they could from him, you needed it in order to survive in The Seven Kingdoms.

A giggle from Elia prompted Rosa's interest.

“What?” Rosa questioned. Formalities were not needed with the Martell's, they treated her as if she was their own flesh and blood.

“That man, He looks handsome doesn't he?” Elia whispered, pointing at a young bearded knight. His Armour was plain, nothing fancy, however it did carry a small crest branded into the steel – A roaring lion. Rosa stiffed, one of Oberyn's lessons resounding in her mind.

“Trust no one...Especially a Lannister. You cannot trust something that stalks it's prey in the shadows – Only those who meet you in the open are the one's you can trust. They have no secrets to hide...”

Placing a hand on Elia's shoulder, she led her away from the market, heading back towards the palace. Her eye's darting nervously at every door they passed and every alley that laid ahead of them.

Oberyn had given her a great gift – Taking her away from that garden of envy and giving her a life where she had all the possibilities of a person of importance. She would not dishonor him or her friend by placing her in unneeded danger. She would gladly give her life for any of the Martells, especially Elia – A princess of Dorne, and her best friend and only friend.

As their steps quickened, she was blocking out Elia's mumbles of protests. She was a free spirit, never truly believing that danger laid around every corner – But Rosa knew better. The brutality of the world was not known to Elia, not yet, Rosa would like to keep it that way. Hearing foot steps behind them, her pulse raced, her hand landing on the hilt of one of her daggers.

Within a flash, it came. The sound of steel scraping against leather. He had drawn his sword.

As quick as a vipers strike, Rosa turned towards their attacker and shoved Elia behind her. She drew the dagger that she had been holding on to, it's valyrian tip reflecting the Dornish sunlight. All was silent, as the duelists studied each other carefully. The silence was broken by the Lannister soldiers laugh, deep and rumbling.

“You expect to stop me with that? Y'er dreaming girly. Get outta the way!” He demanded, humour still lancing his words. Rosa smiled, Oberyn had warned her that her opponents would make remarks of her weapon choice – The key was knowing how to use your weapon, not what the weapon actually was.

“You will not have her.” She replied, her voice devoid of emotion. This is what she was trained for, she would not falter – not for anyone.

The man laughed once more, before lunging forwards with his sword. Rosa pushed Elia backwards, taking the hint she took steps backwards – distancing herself from the fray. Rosa dodged side ways, avoiding the sword as it hit the ground hard sending sparks up. The man growled, lifting the heavy sword once more and swinging sideways. Rosa jumped, the sword lightly skimming the bottom of her boots. Landing hard on her feet, a mantra ran through her head.

'The Viper only strikes when the time is right...'

The man reached the punch her with an armored fist, but she ducked to the ground, rolling herself out of the way and appearing behind him. He turned quickly, slashing at the air with an extreme lack of concentration.

'He's loosing focus...' Her mind whispered, in Oberyn's voice.

She decided the time to strike was now. As his sword was coming down in one vicious blow, designed to split her from shoulder to stomach, she acted. She slid forwards, rushing him. Her dagger came up in a feinted to stab his chest, but her other hand grabbed the spare dagger that had been attached to her leg, jamming it expertly up between the unprotected area of his armpit.

Standing quickly, she continued to dodge as she was biding her time. She didn't need to wait long as the man slowly stated to get sloppier with his slashing. After a small time, his fingers lost control of his sword, allowing it to drop to the ground.

Elia walked closer, smiling at her friend and protector. Then looking down at the man who had now started groaning loudly.

“What did you use?” She questioned, a twinkle in her eye as she watched the man writhing in pain.

Rosa smiled back, “Blood Grass extract.”

“Causes temporary paralysis and extreme pain within moments.” Both girls muttered together before laughing.

The commotion of the fight had drawn the attention of the palace guards, who had come down to see what was happening. They all raised eyebrows at the man on the ground, before the head of the guard turned to the princess.

“Go fetch your father my girl, I'm sure he'd love to find out the meaning of this.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, Mibba allowed me to post this! Thoughts and Opinions? This chapter is dedicated to all my lovely commenters <3