‹ Prequel: Wanderlust
Status: Welcome to my sequel! Enjoy your stay! Comment and Subscribing are very much welcomed, my lovelies!

Rendering Flames

Fourteen

As it turns out, some of the group had left to go into town. But after I found out, they returned no more than a few hours later. I tried to help unload some stuff, wanting to help, but Peter insisted that I shouldn’t be doing any heavy lifting. I backed off, feeling useless as I went back inside. I took a seat in a chair to be out of the way. The normal was brought back but this time there was a considerable more amount of ammunition brought back and to my surprise, a bag was tossed onto my lap.

I looked up to Luke with confusion, “Orson said you preferred knives to guns.”

I looked inside, seeing a dozen shiny and new throwing knives. I smiled slightly, I was better with knives. I haven’t practiced in forever, it didn’t call for it lately. I’m sure muscle memory would prove itself useful and if it didn’t, I’d finally have something to do during the days, however many more of those would be spent here is a mystery though.

I turned in my chair, catching a glimpse of Alex talking to Jaden in the corner tentatively and I gripped the knives tighter. I’d love to practice on one of them right about now. Orson took the chair next to mine and propped his feet up on the table in front of us. I set the knives up on the table and turned to catch his attention.

“How long do we plan on staying here?” I signed to him, not wanting to ask the question aloud.

He gave me a weird look. “Why are you signing?”

“It’d be rude to ask out loud.” Orson looked over to Alex and Jaden and hid a smirk, seeing that Alex had looked curiously over to our quiet conversation.

“And to make some other’s possibly bothered by what we could be talking about?” I shrugged.

“Well if it does, it ‘s a nice touch.” I innocently signed. “But seriously.”

“Things are too...complicated to go now. I’ve gotten to many connections again with some people. For now, I have no idea.”

I nodded, understanding. “We should talk like this more often. It’s fun to see people squirm.”

“People being, Jaden?” I haven’t told him fully where Jaden fit in my past but he knew how important he was and that he was Millie’s brother.

“That doesn’t happen easily,” I told him aloud.

“No, it doesn’t.” He looked to my knives, “want to show me what you got?”

“Oh, I need to practice before I embarrass myself.” I held one of them between my fingers, feeling how sharp it was.

“Well there’s a target setup out back for whatever practice. I’m sure that’d do the trick.” I took Orson up on his suggestion, slipping away from the crowded house.

I walked down around the side of the house to the back. There was a big backyard that got its fill of use. A few tree trunks were laying off to the side with a two person saw and some axes resting next to it. I assumed they got the use of the wood in winter but with how warm it was getting, it’d sit there and rot before it would be touched.

In the back of the yard, I saw the classic style target. It definitely had been used by all sorts of things. It was still usable though with the plywood behind it. I remember Mila teaching me how to hold a knife properly like yesterday. Mila would say that knives were the more unpredictable of weapons. The different way you could throw them at ranges and even normal sharp objects you could just use instead. It’s more useful to know than shooting a gun. That was always where her and Constantine would differ.

The first knife left my grip, landing perfectly on the board, just off to the side of the center. I tried all the styles I knew and while I did need practice, I was relieving so much stress I didn’t know I had building up in me. After going to fetch the knives for another round, I had heard footsteps approaching long before they reached me. I just didn’t care to look.

“What happened while I was gone?” Alex’s voice was demanding attention and I wasn’t in any mood to give it to her.

“I slept a lot?” I answered her as I walked back with the knives locked up in my white knuckled grasp.

“Don’t play dumb.” Her arms were crossed and I looked the black haired beauty up and down, resisting to roll my eyes at her power stance.

“I’m not. I’m only telling you what’s your business.” I started throwing again, my head spinning just slightly from the motion.

“Something is bothering him, not that’d he tell me. But I know that you’re the source, wouldn’t stop looking over at you and Orson.” I stopped throwing and turned to her. “It’s my job to keep him sane or at least happy, Dahlia.”

“Well, I’m sure you two have lots of ways to make that happen.” I pursed my lips, going to grab the knives I’ve thrown.

“Don’t patronize me,” she sneered and I laughed because I was being serious unfortunately.

“What do you want from me exactly, Alex?” I asked her, setting my knives down on a small table next to me.

“It’s Alexandria,” she corrected.

“Who gives a shit,” I cracked at her. “Christ, why do you think you’re like better than me or something? If you’re feeling protective about Jaden, it’s unwarranted.”

“It is actually,” she stepped closer towards me. “Some girl comes in, not knowing her boundaries and starts messing with the only friend I have in the world. I’m not better than you, Dahlia. I just know that your actual worth around here isn’t nearly as much as Jaden is holding you as. So whatever it is you think you’re doing with him, stop.”

“Well you won’t have to worry about me much longer. I’m leaving as soon as Peter says I’m clear. I’ll be out of your way for your walk off into the sunset.” My voice was firm and I tucked the knives back in its bag, feeling weak suddenly. “Now move. You’ve ruined my mood to do something I enjoy.”

She stepped aside and I swallowed harshly as I marched back up to the house. I was trying hard not to feel sorry for myself but I didn’t get what her damage with me was. My heart felt heavy physically and I closed my eyes to keep my eyes straight. But as I rounded the corner, planning to go up the steps, I blacked out momentarily and ran into the railing.

“You okay there, Dahlia?” Deven was reading a book, looking at me from under his glasses.

“Yeah,” I waved off. “Just feeling a little dizzy, that’s all.”

I stepped forward and as my foot hit the ground, so did I.
♠ ♠ ♠
Super short chapter but I don't really like having a continuation from something like her passing out. I'm just going to break the chapter up.

I'll update later today probably.

Comment! Subscribe! Don't be shy!

Avec l'amour

Mel