‹ Prequel: The Incident

Oh, Darling!

1.1

"If you call me that I swear I’ll divorce you."

"But were not married?"

"Fine. Will you marry me?"

"No."

“I hate you.”

"I love you too, baby." Vic grinned, looking down to his sulking boyfriend. They’d woken in a daze of freezing hands and fuzzy sweaters, the weather outside particularly cold and windy. Both boys decided to abandon their duties today, giving up adulthood to spend the afternoon wrapped in blankets with hot coco, watching TV and making out. It was going good, great even until the random show they were watching bought up an interesting topic.

Neither boy had a pet name for the other.

And okay, so maybe Vic had the tendency to call Kellin ‘baby” and yeah, maybe Kellin liked to throw out the daddy card every now and then when he was being sarcastic.. but when it came to actual pet names? Well, after 3 years together they could safely say it never crossed their minds.

Until right now however, and Vic was determined to find the most disgustingly sweet endearment for his love. Even if it was just to annoy him.

"What about Kellboo?" Vic asked, Kellin’s face scrunching up with disgust.

"Definitely not." The younger whines, the elder pouted and thus received a pillow being thrown in his face.

"Owe! fine then, how about kitten?"

"Excuse me?!"

"…what?"

"And what’s that supposed to mean?"

"That you’re a pussy, of course!"

"Oh My God! Shut up!" Vic grinned, eyes swimming with adoration for the younger man. Though his intentions were originally to wind him up, Vic found himself thinking hard about this.

"Okay, okay, um.." He said, racking his brain for something better, something far more cheesy. It had to be, but at the same time he kinda felt he owed it to the boy. You see, he really loved Kellin with all his heart. Everything he did, he did for Kellin and had done for the longest time. Before they were lovers, they were the best of friends. They had been all throughout middle & high school and now, in their mid twenties, they were completely infatuated with each other. The love had grown and exceeded both boys initial expectations but it was wonderful and neither would change it for the world. So call him sentimental, but he felt as though he deserved a term that was all his and nobody else’s.

"You’re taking this way too seriously, Vic." Kellin smiled at elder this time, snuggling in closer to him and breathing deeply. It was moments like these that both boys wish would last forever. Those sweet, tender moments where they’d act like fools but feel 13 feet tall, swelling from all the happiness and harmony inside of them. The love. Oh my, the love was breathtaking.

In fact, these moments reminded him of his own parents. How full of love and happiness they were and still are after all the years together. After all the heartache and drama and rough patches. 30 years and they were still as strong as ever and honestly, Vic hoped that in 30 years they would still be together, still wrapped in warm, fluffy blankets and glassy eyes with adoration.

And then it hit him.

"Darling." Vic announced suddenly, making Kellin cock his head up towards him.

"What?" Kellin asked.

"Darling, you’re my darling." Vic repeated. Darling, the most perfect word. The endearment his father always used when it came to his mother, the same being returned by her. Coincidentally, his parents used the same term towards Vic and his brother when they were little. Darling, the word Vic has always so closely associated with happiness, hope, light, warmth, love.

If you asked Vic to describe Kellin, all of those words would be found.

Yes, darling would do. However could have missed that?

For a while, Kellin didn’t say much. He just smiled.

"I love you Vic, I love you so much." Kellin said after a moment, eyes growing heavy.

"Oh darling, I love you too." He said, the term slipping from his lips so perfectly.

Almost as perfect as the now sleeping boy in his lap.

His boy.

His perfectly perfect boyfriend.