Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 1

***Max's POV*** 20 November 2013

I was on my way from practice to pick up my lovely lady Jassmine from her doctor's appointment. Crazy to think she had only been here in Denver with me for 5 days. I hated being traded and away from her and our unborn twins, but that was the business side of hockey. I pulled into the lot and went to see if she was ready. Turns out Dr. Gray was running behind and I had unintentionally made the appointment. Jass beamed when she saw me escorted through the door. "Do you want me here?" I asked hesitantly.

Jass was nodding and Dr. Gray turned and smiled at me. "You're more than welcome Max." I came in and sat near Jass and held her hand. "So to catch you up Max. Things look good. The heartbeats are both strong, they are moving into birthing position. We were starting to go over which hospital you two might want to do the paperwork for. I understand you live closer to Swedish. My personal opinion is that Rose is better, I say that both as a mom who has delivered there and a professional who has privileges there. The rooms are state of the art and very nice. The down side for you is that it is further away and the number of pediatricians from this area who have privileges there are fewer. Please don't take just my word for it though. I can easily have someone call there and arraign a tour for you."

Jass squeezed my hand then spoke. "Dr. Gray, I know we've done this sort of backwards but I will feel a lot better once I know where these two will be born. If there's a chance we can go this afternoon and tour, I'm for it." She looked at me as she lay there in a gown with our children safely in her womb.

I chuckled. "If that's what you want, hon, that's what we'll do. Although lunch might be good first." My motto since we got confirmation we were going to be parents was 'if you want it, we'll do it'. Ok, so it had led me to "letting" her go and start the in person planning of our upcoming wedding and baptism, but overall it had worked out well.

We got another listen to the heartbeats and were sent on our way for the week. I had a couple hours before I had to meet the team at the airport for our next 4 day road trip. This time we were hitting Phoenix and then L.A. before we hosted the Blues next Wednesday. Once I had met Dr. Gray I really liked her, she didn't beat around the bush if she thought something was off. She'd even worked mostly around my schedule so I could be at as many appointments as possible, which was why we were here on Wednesday.

After lunch at home Jass and I drove up to Rose Medical Center. We easily found our way to the mother-baby unit and were welcomed. When we told them who we were and everything we got some nods and smiles. Carrie was asked to conduct our tour and we were quickly, well sort of quickly, moved along. We were shown one of the labor and delivery rooms as Carrie asked us a few questions to make this more personal. "What do you mean anytime? Why haven't we seen you before now?"

Jass and I sighed. "I play for the Avs and got traded here about 3 weeks ago. We've had 2 doctor's appointments with Dr. Gray in 5 days. We're nearly ready for our twins to come into the world." Carrie nodded as it sank in why we were running so far behind. "Moving across the country so close to our due date has made everything a challenge. I tried to get her to stay in Philly but she wouldn't."

Jass elbowed me. "I couldn't do that and you know it. Anyway, we're also still looking for a pediatrician. Any help would be appreciated there too."

Carrie chuckled and nodded. "We'll see if there's anyone here who is close to your home. We have several ways you can go through your labor including a jacuzzi, birthing ball and rocking chairs." She moved a ball out to where Jass could sit on it. "This is one of our birthing balls. It's really just an exercise ball you can use to help while things are progressing."

We moved along to the Mother/Baby Unit and got to see the recovery and aftercare room. It was a nicer room than I expected. They even had a spot for the co-parent to get some sleep. That was a plus in my book. As Carrie showed us one of the Luxury Suites, we heard someone getting a check by a doctor. Carrie led us to outside that room and waited. When the doctor came out she spoke to him. "Dr. Bouzarelos? Do you have a minute?"

He turned and smiled broadly. "Carrie how are you?" He then noticed us. "Kirk Bouzarelos, Pediatrics. While I know who one of you are, who is your lovely, and looks quite close to term, lady?"

I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. Yes I am Max Talbot from the Avs, still sounds strange to say that. My beautiful fiancee here is Jassmine." Jass took over the conversation smoothly.

"We are quite close, but with twins you never really know for sure _when_ they will get here. Did I hear you say you were a pediatrician? We're looking for one for these two." She rubbed the babies. "You wouldn't by chance be accepting new patients would you?"

Dr. Kirk chuckled semi under his breath. "Actually my practice _is_ accepting new patients. It's on Mineral Circle in Centennial." He pulled out a business card and handed it to Jass. She looked at the card and then googled the location.

I heard an excited gasp as the location came up on her phone. She showed it to me and even I couldn't help but smile. "You're not far from where we live actually. Not far from Dr. Gray's office either, kind of halfway between."

We all laughed. "It must be fate then. Please call my office and let them know that I approve you as new soon-to-be patients so we can get all the paperwork squared away before these two join us. Do you know what you're having or is it a surprise?"

Jass exhaled as I noticed one of the kids moving so I answered for her. "Yes, we are having one of each although we are keeping their names a secret for now. Much to the dislike of both families." I noticed and pulled a chair over and helped ease Jass into it. We'd found, through Gigs' intervention that sitting when the kids did something like this helped end it sooner.

Once whomever it was calmed down we were able to finish the tour and for sure decide that this was our hospital. It wasn't the closest but it was where Jass wanted to have them. On our way out I had to stifle a laugh. I overheard someone notice me, point me out to someone else and say the funniest thing. "I thought he was a huge womanizer. Who would have thought Max Talbot would be a Family Man?" I suppressed the urge to turn and say me. I loved Jass and our twins, they were my everything. Max the womanizer was gone, now all there was Max Talbot, Family Man.
♠ ♠ ♠
*waves fantically* Hello dear reader!

Welcome to the sequel to To Philly With Care. Basically I needed to move on from Philly and this was the easiest way to do it. Still the same Max and Jass from that story.

I love reading comments and try and answer when you have questions. I truly hope you enjoy this story.