Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 10

*Saturday, February 1st, 2014 Jass POV*

Oh boy was I glad I had put our suitcases in Max's vehicle before we left this morning. Here I was just before the afternoon game, hauling the kids and their separate diaper bags into the Pepsi Center. "Good afternoon Talbot family." Said Saul, the security guard who always made sure the girls were squared away and safe.

"Hi Saul. Should be a good one today." I said as I double checked that the kids were securely in the stroller. God I loved this double stroller. It fit through a normal door without issues. He then peered in at Danique and wiggled his fingers at her.

"Hello Miss Danique. Are you being good for your mama?" She squirmed in her seat and gave him a bright, if gummy smile. "Oh my!"

I laughed. "They just started that last night. Max was so happy to see her first one himself." Jaxson squealed, he was getting tired of being in the seat. "We better get going. They've been in the car seats for a while and Jax wants out." He tipped his hat at us and we headed to the family room.

I had dropped Max off this morning so he could get here in the time he wanted before the game. The three of us then went to spend some time looking at new toys for the trip. Well playmats to get in Montreal if we could find them. It ended with them needing tummy time and soon. Pushing the door open everyone was in there. We were greeted warmly. I waved and then looked for a spot to give them some time before they wanted to eat again.

Ashley and Melanie gravitated to me and without even a word started taking them out. Fortunately they were just making happy kids while I spread out the blanket. Once the kids were down and the younger ones noticed and started interacting, Ash hugged me. "I can't believe you will have a different last name the next time I see you."

I patted her and smiled. "It'll be ok Ash. Next time you see me we should be moving into the house too. It's not that big of a change overall, everyone already calls me Mrs. Talbot. It's more acknowledging than anything. Truth be told though I'm looking forward to the ID change. I'll be able to be more free than I am now when we visit Gran. Sometimes the Richard family name is a heavy burden."

The chit chat before the game was all focused on the upcoming break. Some were going to warm climates to escape winter for a little while, some would be staying here for ease, and then there were the 4 guys going to Sochi. Mel and Ash were part of that last group.

The game itself was pretty much a blow out for the Avs. It ended with a score of 7-1. Not to say it wasn't a great game, lots of back and forth action, just that the Sabres fell to the guys well before the first intermission and the guys didn't look back. I had let the kids play on the blanket as long as I could before putting them back into their seats and heading for the room. Seeing that Max wasn't needed for post-game interviews he was out pretty quickly. This gave us a chance to get to the airport and get through screening without holding up too many of the guys. It might be a charter flight but we still needed to take precautions which meant being extra glad that we packed before we left the apartment.

As we folded and packed the stroller into its carry bag Max sighed. "I'm glad that the team let your guys come with us. I didn't want to miss this first either." I smiled and rubbed his back lightly. We each hitched a child, the coordinating diaper bag and our personal carry on and boarded the plane. I followed his lead as to where to sit.

As we got to where he wanted to be I had to comment. "I thought the corporate jet was plush." He looked over at me oddly so I continued. "What? Gramps bought it so the entire family could go on vacation together. Now the corporation uses it for retreats and such as well." We had finished buckling the car seats into the plane seats when some of the other guys got here.

"Hey little man! Will mama let you come visit until we have to go?" Nate was next to me grinning at Jaxson. I chuckled and released Jax.

"Just bring him back so we can make sure he's safe for take off." I unbuckled my son and handed him over. Nate laughed evilly and took Jaxson forward with him. I shook my head and started making the bottles we would need during take off.

Max unbuckled Nikki and held her as he proceeded to tell her everything that was going on around them, in French of course. We had decided that we would have them learn from birth the other languages we knew. They would learn enough English from everyone else around them. Sometimes it meant that no one understood me but I didn't really care. Gran would love that we were trying.

I stowed my bag in an overhead bin and Jaxson's bag under the seat. I then got tugged into a hug by Gabe. "We're so happy you joined us." I tried laughing but it came out strangled, he was a serious hugger. "Oh, sorry."

I smiled. "Hmmm, private charter or commercial airline with 6 week old twins. Not a hard call. Especially when that commercial flight was alone with twins." He grinned at me. "Besides he misses enough, he shouldn't miss big things like this." I gestured towards Max and Nikki.

Paul came up behind Gabe. "Stop flirting with her, she's _very_ taken man." I just shook my head as Gabe laughed off the chirp. Paul leaned around him and kissed my hand. "Besides the rest of us don't see her as often and want a chance." I giggled at that, I knew how he loved Hailey.

Soon enough I was taking Jax back from the rookies and buckling him into his seat. It didn't hurt that he was rooting as we taxied down the runway. Max was across the aisle feeding Danique as well. "Here we go." He said in a happy tone as we took off.

20 minutes after the bottles were drained, the kids were yawning and falling asleep. This was great as it meant I had a chance to relax after they did fall asleep. I was surprised when they started serving a meal as we cruised, until Max noticed. "Remember we did just finish a game. We need to refuel." Then I felt dumb.

When the flight attendant came to us she had to stop herself from cooing. "Oh! Sorry, they're just so cute." We got meals and drinks and were set for a little while. Max chuckled which embarrassed her even further.

"Stop it Maxim. Thank you, it's their first flight. We're going to meet their grandparents." She looked at me oddly. "Well this way we're not making papa fly back to Denver before we go to Montreal for a big family event." She nodded in understanding.

"I don't blame you then. Let me know if you need anything for them or yourself. We work hard to take care of these guys." I laughed, I knew how hard it was caring for them.

While we ate I ran over my lists again. I was terrified I would forget something or worse someone. Max finally had enough and gently took them from me. "Stop obsessing. It will be perfect." He pulled me over onto his lap and tuck his chin over my shoulder. "Sofia has everything ready for when you land right?" I sighed and nodded. "Then trust her."

He was about to say more but we got a visitor, Coach Roy. "I had forgotten they were on board. Sleeping like angels I see." Max grinned and I felt myself blush. "It is nice when our families can join us once in a while. Do you have someone meeting you in Newark Jassmine?"

I smiled and chuckled. "My dad and the corporate jet. He's been on business in New York for a few days but insisted on making sure we got to Philly safely. I'm sure I'll have at least one board meeting I will have to attend over this week but overall it should just be an easy week." Oh my god I was babbling! To Patrick Roy of all people!

He just nodded sagely in the face of my babble. "It sounds like you work hard even though you are far from your job."

Max chuckled. "She was a work-a-holic when we met. I have shown her that not working all the time is good for the soul. Though I work hard too." Coach chuckled and clapped Max on the shoulder.

"I know how hard you work Talbo. It is hard being in this League and balancing a family. So far you both have done yourselves proud. They are beautiful kids and you are lucky to have such a lovely wife." Jaxson shifted in his seat drawing Coach Roy's eye. "I remember when my son was so small. Time goes rapidly enjoy it now." With that he went back to his seat.

While that was kind of odd we brushed it off. It was easier to chalk it up to him being sentimental about missing so much than over analyze. To pass the time we went over how we wanted our living room to look for our reception. I knew the best layout for the tables was a big L shape as that would give us room for the dance area. We sketched out enough room for people to move around the tables and the pack and play for the kids. It gave us a nice sized dance area and kept the littles away from the fireplace, which was another thing we discussed. "It is Valentine's Day love. Fires are romantic. Besides it will probably make the house warmer."

He sighed. "Then someone will have to tend it. I don't want to ask anyone to do extra work like that. Besides we're already asking hard working people to give up their Valentines day." I hated to admit it but he was right it wouldn't be fair to ask them to do that too. I sighed and crossed the idea off the list. "When are we going to be fixing up the room? I don't even know that."

I chuckled. "Then you haven't been paying attention. We're doing it as part of your birthday celebration. To give the rest of your family a hand in something for the wedding even if they can't be there." He smiled. "Besides your cousins promised me dirt about little Maxime." He tickled me, making me do my best not to squeal as I squirmed on his lap.

This of course made a few of the guys look over at us. "Geez Talbo, are you sure doing that is safe? She sounds like she's being hurt."

We both laughed. "Nah I'm fine. He just knows all the really bad tickle spots I have and how to exploit them." He nuzzled my neck tenderly. I could feel the other effects me squirming on his lap had but we had no chance to act on it.

To stop torturing ourselves I went back to my seat and checked on Jaxson but he was sound asleep. I then brought out my tablet and reclined so I could read comfortably. I had changed, as Max suggested, into soft clothes and boy was I glad I did. It meant I could curl up and not worry about showing anything.

I didn't realize just how sucked into the book I was until Max touched me. I jumped. He chuckled. "I've been trying to get your attention for a few minutes. Shall we switch kids for landing?" Once I got my heart back under control I nodded.

"They should just need pacis for landing." I unfolded myself from the seat and got engulfed in a hug. I leaned into him loving how strong he was against me. "I should go change to meet Dad. More for when we get back to the house and see mother than him." He kissed my hand and let me grab my dress.

Minutes later I came back and he zipped me up. "I hate what she does to you."

I snorted. "You and I both, but we don't deal with her often. Dad promised that he would run interference. The rest of them have said they would distract her." I went to move my carry on and found that it had already been moved. Max grinned at me and sat next to our son.

Soon enough we were on the ground in Newark. We taxied to where we would be disembarking and the seat belt signs got turned off. Once Max and I were up and getting things down we had many offers to help carry the kids. I couldn't help but laugh, it was like they didn't want to let the three of us go. Finally we all made it onto the ground and I started looking for Dad. Max claimed our luggage and quickly had the stroller unfolded for me.

The guys tried to keep themselves between me and where I was looking for dad, but I kept getting away from them and making Max laugh. "Guys she's looking for her dad." He said finally.

"Someone call me?" Dad said as he came up behind us. Max and I turned together as dad walked up to Max. He held out his hand and Max took it. Dad then shook it and then pulled Max in for a hug. As they stepped back Dad spoke. "I'm sorry for how I've treated you Max. I hope in time you can forgive me."

Max grinned. "Sir, because of you I have boundless joy. You took the message to heart and are making Jass very happy by doing so. There's no ill will between us." He then brought my dad over to see the kids. "Come, your grandchildren want to meet you."

Dad hugged me briefly before opening Danique's cover. "Oh baby girl. She's so precious." I opened Jaxson's and saw him light up even more. It seemed Jax was quietly awake. "Hey there little man." Jax didn't do anything at first but then he turned his head a little bit and saw me. There was the gummy smile. "Hé là petit garçon. Obtenez-vous faim? Allons avec Grand-père et corriger cela. (Hey there baby boy. Are you getting hungry? Let's go with Grandpa and fix that.)"

After saying goodbye to Max and the boys we were quickly on board the corporate jet. I had time to mix the bottles before we took off. I sat between the kids across from dad while I fed them. "You look good dad."

He chuckled. "I could say the same about you. I didn't expect you to look so thin."

That made me laugh. "Toting these two around has help me lose a lot of the baby weight. I've also been mall walking with some of the girls. They push the stroller and I use weights for resistance. It gets us out of the house, which we need." He nodded.

"Your Gran said you took to motherhood like a duck to water. Angela said that you had them on a good schedule too." Oh boy I could feel the other shoe starting to drop. "The Board wants to meet with you for the monthly meeting but if you can't or won't leave the kids they will understand." Yep just like I thought.

"Actually I expected that. Do you think they would mind meeting at the house? It would give me the best chance to be two places at once." I knew this flight was about an hour which as Dad texted the board meant that they could confirm and get back to us then. "So dad am I staying with Gran or you and mom?"

I must have hit a nerve as he blanched. "About that, your mother and I are having some problems right now so I have moved in with Gran. Will you mind staying with Gran and I?"

Something in his tone sounded hopeful. "Dad I want you to be happy. If going to therapy and living with Gran does that then it's perfect with me." I took Danique out of her seat and burped her. She had a big burp but thankfully didn't spit up. It was similar with Jaxson. "Will there be a family dinner tonight?"

He sighed. "She insisted but it's at Gran's so when you or they get tired things can break up easier." I sighed, sat back in my seat and tried hard to do the relaxation techniques the girls were teaching me.

After landing at the Philly airport we took the town car to Gran's place. Gran was waiting to meet us and ended up helping get the kids into the house. "My goodness gracious look at these two!" She said as she pulled them out of their seats. Both kids were happy to get out on be put on the floor. "They're just perfect Jass honey."

I grinned and blushed. "Thanks Gran. We're doing a lot better than before. They are happier and sleep longer." They weren't in the mood to sleep right now though which made me happy. "Can we get us settled before _she_ gets here?" Gran smiled and nodded.

"I hope you don't mind we all decided that you all needed a more permanent place to stay when you visit so we had your old room and the one next to it redecorated." She opened the door to my old room and I gasped. The room looked incredible! The furniture was a light color and the bedding was blue and caramel in color. "We figured that until they were older the kids could share. We didn't know what kind of cribs you were using or would want. If you can deal with them being in a bassinet tonight we'll get whatever is wanted tomorrow."

I went into the room and set the car seats on the bed. "Gran, I can deal with anything as long as we're all safe and happy. As for using a bassinet, it's no different than having them sleeping in one when we go to Kristen's after our walk." I put my suitcase onto the bed and sighed. "Honestly I don't really want to deal with mother right now but I know I have to or else things will be worse. So how long until everyone gets here?"

Right on cue it seemed I heard three sets of small pounding feet followed by "Auntie Jass! Auntie Jass!" I turned to find both of my nephews and my niece barreling at me with big smiles. I was glad Dad and Gran had my two. The four of us hugged tightly and then Ella looked around. "Auntie Jass, where are your babies?"

I smiled. "Turn around honey. Gran and Papa have them." Now it wasn't that I had been keeping the kids from anyone, with the exception of mother I didn't need the negativity she would spew, it was more like Ella was excited to maybe hold them. They turned and gasped.

Nate came upstairs after the kids. Seeing me he grinned. "There's my beautiful sister." He came over and hugged me. "Wow Gran this looks great! What do you think Jass? We all got together to figure out a way to make you and Max feel welcome."

Soon we were in the living room relaxing. Jaxson and Danique were in the floor on the Tuffo blanket. Nick, Kevin and Ella were playing with them and each other. I had taken a couple pictures for Max and sent them. He had came back with a video of him singing the kids' favorite French lullaby. Chris leaned over and just shook his head. "You do know how lucky you are right? I've done some looking into him and he's done a complete turnaround since he met you. I mean he sends your kids their favorite lullaby. Who does that?"

I smiled. "Chris, he's wonderful. He hates missing things with us and does his best to be with us as much as possible. Oh I didn't tell you guys! They've started smiling, just yesterday evening. Max was so happy, he got Nikki's." That sent everyone into a happy place, which of course was when mother came in dressed to the nines.

"Well here's my loving family." It always amazed me how she could sound sincere and sneering at the same time. "I hope you all dressed for dinner as it is nearly ready." She looked at me critically. "Well I guess you can't do better right now."

Ang stood up. "Enough mother! Jass has done everything she can to look incredible for her wedding and I think she's done excellently. Having one baby is hard enough on the body but she had two and was full term for a singleton on top of it. She should be congratulated for looking so wonderful not sneered at!" By the end she was breathing hard,

I got up and put an arm around her. "Ang, you've seen my secret. Gran has too. I truly think that the binder I've been wearing helped a lot. Even Dr. Gray said so." She breathed a few times, getting herself back under control. "Which reminds me. Would you like to do some exercises with me to help close my gap?" She cocked her head at me. "What? You didn't think I came out unscathed did you? My abdominal muscles have a gap in them and I have clearance to do exercises to close it."

Kim stepped up. "You know what we can all do them. Besides it will give us a chance to talk too." The conversation moved into the dining room and while everyone was willing to help in various ways by the end of the night I needed some time just the kids and I.

*Sunday February 2nd, 2014*

The next morning felt cleaner than the night before. The kids woke up at the usual Denver time and so I was able to enjoy the silence. Soon enough we were all in the Cathedral at Mass though. Gran offered to sit in the cry room with me but I was able to convince her that they would never learn how to behave in there so we sat in her normal pew. After Mass everyone wanted to see me and the kids, so much so that I had to tell people that they couldn't hold them. It ticked some of them off but Gran understood why.

Getting back to the house I found Dani and Moni there. We hugged and then I heard someone clear his throat. I looked and there stood Tony. I smiled at him and he kissed my hands. "I am so sorry I could not make it to Denver."

He had called apparently during a feeding and canceled due to a family emergency. "No, family comes first I understand." I got to lead them all into my room while not carrying a child. I was met by the sight of a mobile dress shop. "Let me get out of this and into the correct underwear then we can start."

My dress had been big on me months ago, now it looked like a tent. Tony and his assistant circled me and discussed how best to make me look and feel wonderful. After several ideas had been given and rejected I sighed. "Can we not just take material from the sides and make it fit that way?" Tony turned to me and looked critically. He then gathered the sides and had Monique hold them while he and the assistant looked at me.

"My god that _will_ work! You are so tiny now I did not think it would." He circled me once more. "It will be simpler than redesigning the entire back as well. Take it off, time for true measurements." Moni helped me out and laid the dress down. Then the measuring began. They measured every inch they could. Wedding shoes on, reception shoes on, even no shoes on! Finally Monique couldn't take it anymore. "Tony! How long?"

He looked up at us and smiled. "Give me two days and this will fit you like a dream." I breathed a sigh of relief and was allowed to pull a robe on. "You come to the shop and have the last fitting. How long until the big day?"

I smiled. "The wedding and baptism are on Valentine's Day. We leave on the 7th for Brossard." I had been looking at my lists again and trying to figure out what and how to pack everything. He nodded and took his leave.

*Monday February 3rd, 2014*

We were at Kim and Nate's house relaxing after a good workout when my phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hallo! How is the best sister-in-law today?" Sofia, I relaxed and got tense at the same time.

"I'm good Sofia. Getting the last minute things in Philly done before we get up there Friday afternoon. How are things on your end?" I put my phone on speaker and took a drink. Ang and Kim leaned forwards to hear better.

She sighed. "Things are okay. I opened the last batch of boxes you sent, Jassmine the gift for your mother I can't find it." I sighed, knowing those around me wouldn't really like what I was about to say.

"I didn't get her one." Ang's jaw dropped and Kim was stunned. I continued. "Why should I get the woman who has done nothing but put me down my entire life a gift celebrating my wedding? Gran has one and Dad has two. Mother doesn't deserve one."

Sofia started to object but Ang beat her to words. "You know she will be pissed right?" I nodded which made her smile. "Ok, Gran has always been more of a mom to you than her anyway. Why does Dad get two though?"

I laughed. "Gran got addicted to cold brew coffee when she was staying with us over Christmas. I figured she had a set already but Dad didn't."

Any moaned, it sounded like she really loved cold brew too. "You have to tell me where you found that kit, and maybe where I can get some Tim Horton's." Sofia and I died laughing.

Kim was obviously confused. "Cold brew coffee? Tim Horton's? What the heck?"

I took pity on her. "Tim Horton was an NHL player who started a bake shop in the mid 60s. 3 years later he had a chain brand going. He played mostly with the Leafs and died in a car accident in 1974. The shops continue his legacy of hard hitting coffee and sweet treats. Cold brew coffee is just another way to make it, one that has no bitter taste to the brew at all. You can serve it hot or cold. It's so good." I looked up shops in Philly and found one at Wells Fargo. "We'll get some for Friday morning when we're at the game Thursday."

As it turned out I got a phone call later that day inviting me to the game against San Jose. Dani knew me too well. So I got some coffee and timbits for breakfast and enjoyed the win.

*Tuesday February 4th, 2014*

The board came over on this day for a meeting. I was so glad I had been keeping up with the news on the front. Of course they were happy to come to me when I explained I was not in town long and did not like to leave my children just yet. Gran had insisted that I go to the game the night before but I was nervous about leaving the kids. Turns out they didn't mind.

The agenda was pretty light which was also good. Just a review of the last meeting and giving final approval for Dani being hired. No one had an issue with Dani being hired, she had been around for a long time after all. We had this meeting over lunch and of course they loved seeing the kids. Nichol Gibbons enjoyed holding Jaxson while she ate. "Jassmine they are beautiful. I do have to ask though if you have thought of having a prenup and how you will change your will."

I actually had an answer for this. "Actually Max and I have spoken to a couple lawyers about just that. Even with the Trust we've determined that a prenup is not the answer for us. We decided to do a postnuptial document and our wills this summer when we can dedicate more time to it and not rush through it. Trying to do all of that on top of being new parents and his career, it's difficult enough to talk about day to day things. This summer we will have time and people willing to babysit if we need it." As I looked around the table I saw a few nods.

Nichol was one of those nods. "Sounds like you have a plan, I hope you understand why we were wondering." She had swapped with Dad and now had Danique.

"Oh completely. Between everything that's gone on we just need some time to find our balance before we tackle those things. Neither of us want to stress the other out and there's been a lot of stress the last 6 weeks." They had no clue how much stress and I wasn't about to tell them every detail but of course that's when the other shoe dropped.

Strolling in as if _she_ owned the place instead of me was mother. "Oh come now Jassmine it couldn't have been that stressful. After all doesn't the nanny take care of the kids?"

The tension in the room skyrocketed. I could tell that no one here knew what to say so I jumped into defending myself. "Actually mother we don't have a nanny. We want to raise our children ourselves and have them understand how much we love them. Not pawn them off on someone _else_." As if on cue my tablet rang. "Hello." I said in a terse tone as I answered the Skype call.

"Hey babe. I take it your mother is there making you upset." I couldn't help but look down and smile at that. "Turn on your camera and let me see those beautiful faces." I did so and his smile lit up my heart. "Il ya ma belle reine. (There's my beautiful queen.)" I felt myself blush which made him chuckle. "Ann, do not upset her. She already deals with too many things alone due to my job and I will uninvited you to the wedding and baptism if you do." He had warned me he wouldn't put up with mother upsetting me.

Dad came over with our daughter. "Don't worry Max, she was only making your wishes to raise these two kids yourselves known. Ann alluded that you had a nanny raising them." Max frowned. "Although if you ever need babysitting please let someone know, not that I'm the best at it but I want to try."

Max laughed. "Jass knows if she needs a few hours to herself that anyone on the team would be more than happy to help, even if poor Landy is afraid he will drop them." I laughed. Poor Gabe was right, Mel loved coming to see the kids. Danique was looking around, quite clearly looking for her papa.

Mother snorted. "I can't imagine letting anyone hold my children if they were afraid they were going to drop them." I saw Max take a deep breath and slowly count to 10.

I shrugged. "Landy wouldn't hurt either of them on purpose he's just nervous around little babies. But if you all would excuse us, it's time for papa to read a story to these two before the next nap." I gathered the kids and my tablet and headed upstairs.

Hours later I got a text message. 'Is it safe to come over? Coach says as long as I make the team breakfast I'm good to stay with you.' I put my coat on and skipped down the stairs. Gran was having some late night tea. "Can I borrow the car to go grab Max from the hotel?" She smiled at me and handed me the keys. I kissed her. "Kids are asleep, we'll be back soon."

I texted Max back. 'Hey sexy. Which hotel cause your ride is on the way!' He told me which one and in 15 minutes I was in front of it waiting for him. I did refrain from honking as he came out, but it was a near thing. Once he was in the car with his bags I kissed him soundly. Much to the tired cheers of the team. We laughed and drove back to the house.

We got back and into bed. He wrapped himself around me and sighed happily. "Missed you." I hummed half asleep. "Dix jours jusqu'à ce que vous êtes à moi pour toujours. (Ten days until you are mine forever.)" I snuggled into him and sighed heavily. I didn't hear the kids at all, the next thing I knew it was morning.

*Wednesday February 5th, 2014*

Max got to the team breakfast on time and beaming. He took my dad and the kids with him. It gave me a chance to go with Dani, Moni, Ang, Kim and Gran to Tony's shop to see how my dress turned out, turned out he needed an extra day to get the bodice perfect. I took everything I would be wearing with me just to be safe. Tony grinned as we came in. "Good morning! How is the lovely bride this beautiful day?"

I chuckled. "Nervous. My finacé and my dad have the kids right now." I was more worried about dad than Max, he was still hesitant around the kids. Gran put a hand on my arm and patted me.

"Trust them. You know Max will always care for the kids well. Your father will follow his lead." She then looked at Tony. "When do we get to see the masterpiece?" Tony laughed and wave me to the back to change.

As he helped me into the dress I prayed I felt as good as I did when we first found it. Before he laced me up he fussed a bit getting the front to drape properly. "Did you know you are my first post-pregnancy bride? I love that Monique trusted me with you and truly hope you have enjoyed what we found."

Conjuring up how I felt when I saw the three of us in the mirror I smiled. "If I remember right I nearly cried when I saw the three of us girls in the mirror. I felt so beautiful and was pregnant. I'm sure this will be amazing." He wiped a tear and laced me up. Then it was time to see how I looked. I turned to the mirror and gasped. It fit like a dream, as if it had been hand tailored from day one for me alone. "Mon Dieu. Est-ce la même robe? Je dois être en train de rêver. (My God. Is this the same dress? I must be dreaming.)" I saw Tony's face light up behind me. I turned and went to show myself off.

"Beidh an Bhanríon a bheith éad ar do áilleacht. (The Queen will be jealous of your beauty.)" Gran sighed as I came into full view. I blushed. Gran was never one to hide how she felt but to have her say _that_.

"Thank you Gran. I just hope she keeps her comments to herself. This is how we want it done, not at all about her and her desires." I hugged Gran and then the rest of them. "You guys don't know important it's been to me that you're here."

Kim laughed. "Jass stop. Dad has a plan if she gets uppity at the ceremony. First of all you look absolutely amazing! Secondly your children are as well _and_ you have done everything asked of you during this week by everyone. It's time to put you first. That means oohing and ahhing over this dress that fits you perfectly. Us being jealous of just how much that man of yours truly loves you. And best of all not having any more talk about anything negative." After she had put her proverbial foot down everyone laughed.

I stood on the dais and let Tony do the final hem. I switched between my sandals and the pumps a couple times before he was satisfied. "Perfection! In those lovely Louboutins the toes show just a bit and in the sandals the dress is barely off the ground." I had to admit it, I loved how he did the hem. It was fluttering like the front drape, I felt like I could float away.

The door opened as I moved off the dais, handed his assistant my credit card and headed to change. "I agree Tony. I feel like a princess and look like a goddess. Max won't know what hit him." Dani snickered.

Then a slow clap started behind me. I had a sinking feeling and turned to find I was right. "Well congratulations you managed to find a dress without any input from me." There, on cue, was mother and a few of her socialite friends.

Maggie came over to me and looked at the dress. "Ann I don't know why you were so worried. She looks amazing in this dress. It's very her. Understated and yet simply incredible. And your father and those babies! He's a natural grandpa." I had always liked Maggie, she'd always been complimentary of me.

Mother and Nadine sneered. "It's a 2010 design. Couldn't you at least found something sooner?"

I took a deep breath trying to not blow up at my mother in front of everyone but Tony beat me to saying anything. "Madam, the year of the dress doesn't matter. Only that the bride feels lovely and elegant in it. To have Monique trust me with her almost sister is an honor. To make Jassmine so happy she nearly cries is a privilege, for every woman wants to look her best on her wedding day. If you do not like it, I say it is a good thing it is not your dress." He put a protective arm around me. "Come, we shall get you ready to face the world and make it bow to you."

Once we were in the dressing room he sighed. "How do you live with that negativity?" I stepped out of the dress and into my pants.

"I don't anymore. Max, the kids and I live in Denver. We love that the family we choose to surround ourselves with are all supportive. She can be mean and spiteful but after years of worrying I decided my mental health and that of my family had to come first. I hope one day she sees how she treats people and just what it's costing her." He nodded as if he understood.

We went back out front and he ignored the hate coming from mother. "Come back in 2 hours and it shall walk out the door with you." He kissed every hand but mother and Nadine as we walked out the door.

Gran chuckled. "I think I know where I will frequent from now on. Come, let's go eat and come back. I bet your father is ready for some time with you as well." I called Max and found out we were invited to lunch with some of the Flyers.

At lunch mother called dad to tell him how poorly I behaved in front of her friends. He took a deep breath and said that if I had done or said anything that she had brought it on herself. He also reminded her that she could be uninvited if she didn't like it. After he hung up, he pulled out a card and dialed a number. "Hello? Yes, I believe we will need to go through with the proceedings. Yes I hate the idea as well but sometimes to have a healthy tree you have to prune some branches. I will call on the 14th before close of business if I change my mind. If you get no call, file it Monday please. No, thank you. Goodbye." He offered no explanation and I asked for none.

Max couldn't stay with me tonight but we at least got to be together for a while before I dropped him off. "Friends or not kick some ass tomorrow babe." He grinned, kissed me and happily went into the hotel. Tomorrow was going to be a good one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh look it's the week before their wedding! Happy Valentine's Day to all my lovely readers!

As usual I love hearing what you guys thought of the chapter.