Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 12

*February 13th, 2014*

Tomorrow was the big day and I was trying not to freak out. I had no reason to freak out, everything was ready, but still I was freaked out. I sat in the dark in our Media Room after putting the kids back to bed. I heard someone come down the stairs and pad around like they were looking for something. "I knew it." Make that someone.

I looked over and found Gran standing there, so I sighed. "Knew what?"

She wrapped her robe tighter around herself and came over. As she sat down she also sighed. "I knew I'd find you down here awake when we both should be sleeping. You're worried about tomorrow aren't you." It was a statement more than a question.

I laid my head on her shoulder. "I have no reason to. I know he loves me, and the kids, but I have this feeling like something is going to go wrong." I already felt better, just by telling someone.

She pulled me tight to her, like she had since I could remember when she had something important to say. "Every bride is nervous about her wedding, anyone not nervous shouldn't be getting married. I see the way you look at him both with and without your children near. He's the one, just like your Grandfather was my one. There's a spark in you he brings out, something extra." She looked into our Family Room all decked out and waiting for our reception. "His family already loves you. He treats you as he should. There's nothing to worry about."

A tiny sigh escaped me. "Yes there is; mother." I picked my head up.

"Oh pish." Grain said waving a hand. "Trust that your father and I have leverage to secure her behaviour." She gently pulled my head back down. "For as much as he's hurt you over the years, your father loves you dearly. He and I have worked out our differences about how your Gramp and I basically raised you in therapy." She took my hands in hers. "He's trying to find where everything went wrong Jassmine. Every time he does, it puts more strain on his marriage. That's why he moved back with me."

"They're divorcing aren't they." I said as I finally put the pieces together.

"Probably, I know he has their lawyer already on retainer for it. He did that when he moved home saying she refused to go to even one session with him. Everyone else had but you until last week and that was only due to distance."

I smiled, the three sessions I went to with Dad were emotionally trying but so much more worth it. I'd only seen my father cry once until then, but in the sessions he broke through the emotional distance we had always had and was able to completely clear the air between us. I had been able to do the same with my siblings while we were in Philly. I didn't feel like an outsider anymore. We still had work on things, but we were on a path to being a close family.

"They're different people now. She's still emotionally abusive and he is fighting hard to change." I snaked an arm around Gran. "I never realized just how much you did for me, protected me, until those sessions." I squeezed her as tight as I could. "Thank you."

She returned the sideways hug. "You were our shining light Jassmine. Your grandfather and I always fought for you three, but you especially. He would be so proud of how you are handling things." She choked up a bit.

"I miss him too Gran." I keep the last picture of the three of us on my desk. I use it as a reminder of those who needs us to do things right." Gran hugged me again. "I try to make you both proud of me, everyday."

"You do dearling." She yawned. "Enough for now, we need sleep." We got up and headed back upstairs. At her doorway she paused. "Jassmine," she whispered. "He's getting his dying wish tomorrow. To see you marry someone who loves _you_ not the money you have. For that alone, in this day and age especially, is a miracle." I kissed her temple and let her go into her room.

Crawling back into bed, Max's arm tightened around my waist. "Feel better?" He asked sleepily.

I yawned fighting sleep to answer him. "Yes, thank you for sending her."

He snorted. 'She woke me, but I'm still glad. I'll get the next change and feeding."

**Max's POV**

Hours after Jass' midnight freak out it was time to wake her up We had to be at Good Shepard in an hour and a half for our rehearsal. I came in our room with breakfast and coffee. "Jass honey, time to get up." She groaned. "We have our rehearsal in 1 1/2 hours with Father Marc." I had another surprise for her as well, for this afternoon.

She rolled over and sat up. "Is it too late for Vegas?" I smiled. She'd been saying that since my birthday, I figured it was nerves. I sat her breakfast in front of her.

"Yes, my mother would kill us." She yawned and picked up her coffee.

"Damn, you're right." She looked at the clock. "Why did you let me sleep so long, the kids should have been up for hours."

I kissed her temple. "You needed it. Besides, everyone has been trying to help so I let them. The kids are fine." As she began to eat, I went back downstairs.

Soon enough I was busy making sure everything was ready for the children while we were all at rehearsal and then for the rest of the afternoon while the rest of the adults went to what I had planned. Normally Jass would do this but I needed that practice. I was very thankful for the tags and flip cards Gran had given us, it made packing a lot easier. "Maxime, what do you need for the children at rehearsal?"

I smiled. "I have it mom. We have a blanket for them to be on in case they want to not be held. IF they do, we should have enough hands." After all there would be at least 6, possibly 8 people at rehearsal.

Jass came in and checked my work. She seemed to be in a good mood. "Good, looks like we're pretty much ready." She checked on the kids and smiled as she saw all of them having fun. She turned back to me and asked. "What's going on after rehearsal?"

My mom spoke before I could. "You are going to drop le bébés with us here and are going to Montreal for the rest of the day." Trust mom to nearly ruin my surprise, even on accident.

Jass was stilled. "Oh, okay." It was like she had no idea how to deal with this.

Gran came to the rescue. "Relax Dearling, your wedding party has a surprise for you is all. The girls already have everything well in hand."

**Jass' POV**

After running through the dual ceremony three times with Father Marc. I felt good about how things were going to go tomorrow. Sofia had gotten a call during round 2 from our caterer and had set up a time for them to come in to prepare our small reception food. They would be coming at noon.

Ella and her people would be at the house at 10 am so we could have them capture all the special moments beforehand. I had asked Gran, Dani and Moni to be with me, but no one else. Ang had been upset at first, then I reminded her that I couldn't get the kids ready at the same time. She jumped at the chance.

Now we were pulling up in front of Ovarium. I looked at Max curiously. "I thought a massage and a float bath would do us all some good." We got out.

As we went in, guess who showed her face, yep my mother. She had obviously found another socialite to be semi-friends with. "Hello my darlings! This is Raquelle Lecavalier. We're at the same hotel. Raquelle this is my youngest and her fiance."

We all nodded politely and when mother excused herself Raquelle pounced. "S'il vous plaît me dire que vous l'avez coupé de vos vies. La façon dont elle parle de sa famille, cela me dérange (Please tell me you have cut her out of your lives. The way she speaks about her family, it bothers me.)"

I was surprised someone saw through her so fast. "Nous vivons à Denver, elle est hors de nos vies pour de bon bientôt. (We live in Denver, she is out of our lives for good soon.)" Max had his arm around my waist. He answered also in French.

Raquelle sighed heavily in relief. "Celui-là est un poison, comme une vipère. (That one is poison, like a viper.)" Of course mother was quick and before we could say much more she was back.

She tried to latch onto me and pull me close but a staffer called out. "Talbot, party of two." We excused ourselves but not before she got in one last shot.

"I'll see you later darlings, at the rehearsal dinner." She waved as if she were the queen.

I bit down on my irritation and again told her. "Again, mother, we are not having a rehearsal dinner. Be at Good Shepherd at 2:45 tomorrow." Then Max and I walked away.

**February 14th, 2014 8 am**

I'm forever yours... Faithfully

Hearing the ending line of the classic song was I woke made me smile. I slid a hand over and felt cold sheets where my man should have been. Ah well, my romantic side would have to wait. I got up and, as usual, went to check on the kids. There was one problem with this though, they weren't in the crib. I went downstairs and found them and Max asleep on the Media Room floor. Knowing that letting them sleep was a very good thing, I went into the kitchen and started the hot water for morning beverages. I got out the platters Kim and Ang had made for this morning and then started the regular coffee pot. I was in the middle of turning the bacon when I heard a loud yawn.

Looking up I found Nate standing there. I moved to the coffee pot and opened the cabinet above it, inside were the mugs. I then took the creamers out of the fridge and stepped back to the stove. A few minutes later Nate finally spoke. "You shouldn't have to do that today."

I looked to the island and smiled. I've found feeding my family well relaxes me." I stirred the eggs I had cracked to scramble. "Besides, it's my turn anyway." The adults had been taking turns cookking for the 10 of us who were in the house. "This means I get what I want this morning." The bacon was done, well the first batch, so I swapped in the overnight French Toast and ham and cheese bake.

Pretty soon the smell of food and coffee brought everyone in. Everyone tried kicking me out but I prevailed. Max was the last one in, after carefully moving the kids. Not a lot of talking was done, but the camaraderie was fantastic. Nate and Chris insisted on cleaning up and I got shooed to take a shower.

By the time Max and I changed places all of our wedding party was here. I got hugs from Mel and Vero and even a kiss from Estelle.

When Max came back down we figured out the logistics of everyone getting ready. The guys would be in the playroom while the girls used the Master. Everyone else had at least one bedroom they could use.

At 9:30 came, Ella and her entire crew were here. They apologized for being so early, which none of us really minded. After they were ready I went and pulled out my gown and hung it on the closet door. Danielle and Monique did similar and soon Ella was able to take some shots of us starting to get ready.

When our lunch came I was feeding Jaxson, having finished with Nikki earlier. Dani was getting her face done while Moni was getting her hair done. Sofia had brought it as she was checking the final prep for the reception. "Everything is parfait! The church is tastefully draped and the reception room is nearly there, the kids are doing the table scatter now. What are you going to do with it after this?"

I chuckled. "Use them as decoration, mostly in vases. Someone loves to send me just because flowers."

When it was my turn in the hot seat, I sent the girls over with my gift for Max. Two pairs of socks (in case of cold feet), a tin of solid cologne (cause he is the name of it, Handsome), a book of 1 minute prayers for men (to keep contact with his faith) and a packet of letter we had agreed on doing. At the bottom of the box I had put the "naughty" part of the gift, a pad for him to use for his Sexplinations.

Marc-Andre whistled as he came into to deliver my gift from Max. "Vous lui souffler, vraiment magnifique. (You will blow him away, truly magnificent.)" Mind you I was under my bridal robe and with my appliqued stockings showing only, not the bridal foundation wear that was under the robe. I blushed anyway, what bride didn't want to hear that on her wedding day.

Opening it I found a print I had to have in our room, it had simply Je t'aime with our initials in Navy. It was carefully set in the main room while I pulled out my own packet of letter, some mini ice grips and a box with a wooden sculpture in it. I checked and saw a similar "naughty" pad in the box as well.

I managed not to tear up as I finished. "Tell him to find a good spot for our letter exchange, ok Flower." He saluted me and left.

Gran petted my hair. "I think you two exchanging letter is a lovely thing. When did you find time to write it?" She moved so Malina could start on my hair.

"The other day when I was sent to nap. I started thinking and had to write it down. I was glad I had brought some of my stationery here, it made hand writing it so much easier. It's in my nightstand all sealed and ready." I was talking while being otherwise still, not an easy thing.

**Max's POV**

The grin on Flower's face said a lot about how things were with Jass. "I think you are one lucky dog Talbo. Your bride wants you to find a spot for your letter exchange." Merde! I forgot!

Bruno laughed. "Don't tell me you forgot. I'll go see if I can find some paper, the Den should have some no?" He was walking out.

"Yeah, check the desk." I can't believe I forgot. "What am I going to do?" I pondered aloud.

With a hearty smack on my back Flower answered. "Speak from the heart mon ami. It doesn't have to do long, just real. She will love it and you know it." He sat next to me. "She had made you a better man, you know that right."

I weakly smiled back at him, nervous about what to write. "In ways I never thought possible. I don't know how to tell her much I appreciate her." Flower grinned.

"You'll find a way, you always do." Bruno commented as he came in with a small stationery kit. "It seems she anticipated you yet again." The box had a hand written note.

Max- You forgot the last letter didn't you, no big I've got you covered. -Jass

The stationery was a nice set, rather neutral if you didn't read the top which said 'by the hand of Maxime'. It was clearly meant for handwritten notes and cards. I sat with a page and a pen and then I knew what to say.

Once I sealed it and had her name on the envelope, I found the perfect spot. On either side of our children's rooms. We would be close but unable to see each other's reactions.

Speaking of the kids, I checked on them. They were having tummy time with their cousins, perfectly happy and safe. I leaned my head against the wall and watched, they were all content. I heard a shutter click. Turning a bit I saw Ella and beckoned her closer. When she saw the kids she took some candid shots.

After she shot those we backed up a bit. "I was thinking this might be a good spot for the letters." I said showing her the two sides.

She put me on the left side and looked through her camera. "This'll look great in both color and black and white, great spot. Who are the colors for?"

I smiled. "Our kids. Green for Jax and purple for Nikki. So you put me on the correct side." Soon she went back into our room to take shots of Jass putting her gown on.

Time was flying, in fact I hadn't noticed what time it was until Ang gasped and shooed the kids into their finery. She looked at me and smiled. "I truly am happy Jass found you Max. You've helped her find her balance which I'm sad to say we helped her lose."

I put a hand on her shoulder. "You're fixing it which has made her happy. God help her if your mother pulls anything today of all days."

Nate laughed as he came over. "Relax. Dad told me he has her behaviour secured. If she puts a toe out of line he's going to ruin her. They got a prenup, before they were fashionable. I've seen it, it's rather strict on what they both can and cannot do. Mother is already on shaky ground."

I sighed in relief and then saw Gran in her silver pantsuit coming over. "Okay, Ang and Nate take the kids downstairs. Jass wants her dress to be a surprise. Maxime, back in place and no peeking." We dutifully split up and then I heard the door open and the soft swish of fabric. My hands were now sweaty.

Ella smiled and lifted her camera. "Okay, it's time." With a breath I handed my letter over to Jass and took hers. I placed my back against the wall and read:

As I sit here in our room enjoying the quiet, I am reminded of all the little ways you say you love me. From changing diapers in the middle of the night even after just getting home from a game to the just because flowers when you're away, it never ceases to amaze me.

In our time together one thing is crystal clear to me, living without you is _not_ an option. It wasn't one after the first time I spoke with your brother. I knew your reputation before we met, which made me wary and intrigued. Then I met the real Max. I heard everything I had been wanting in that call. Your warm and loving family brought out the side that you hid from most people and suddenly sleep eluded me for many nights.

In the end it was you who made the world make sense. You have laughed, cried and cheered with me. Our best years are ahead of us, of that I am certain. I can only hope that the rest of our lives are as loving and joy filled as these few have been.

Je t'aime Maxime, Always. - Jassmine

There wasn't a word I could say to make her letter to me mean even more. I felt absolutely secure that she was mine, now and forever.

**Jass' POV**

I took Max's letter with my stomach full of butterflies, noticing his hand wasn't steady either. Opening the letter I knew he had forgotten and smiled. Then I read his note:

I can not imagine my life without you. You took a life I thought was pretty perfect and showed me how it could be even better, for that I can not thank you enough.

You are the first person I think of as I wake and the last before I sleep. No matter the distance between us, you are close to my heart.

You took a philandering playboy and, with love, turned him into a faithful family man. Now that man wants to seal his love for you in eternity and with God.

I love you, my queen; my Mrs.,
Maxime

I was happy I brought tissue. It might have only been 5 lines, but it said everything. Drying my eyes I turned and faced the wall between us. I snuck a hand out and felt his clasp mine. "Je t'aime Jassmine." he said, voice full of emotion.

I felt my eyes full of happy tears as I responded. "I love you too Maxime." Then I felt a wave of spontaneity come over me and I pulled us both out a little bit from the wall, towards Ella and her camera. Max gasped as he took a long look at me. I laughed as I saw how surprised he was. I had tried to keep how I looked a secret but something told me that seeing him even just once would make me feel better.

My mouth watered as I saw him in his suit. He always looked good, but this was beyond what I thought he would look like. Then he did something that surprised me. Kneeling he looked up at me and spoke. "I have no words for how truly magnificent you look. The sun and moon pale in comparison to your beauty."

I leaned over and carefully kissed him lightly. "You always know what to say to make me feel even more beautiful. Get up love, it's time for me to steal your name and welcome our children into the church." I pulled him to his feet secure in the knowledge that I blew him away just like Flower said I would.

**Good Shepherd Church, Bridal room 2:15 pm**

15 minutes. That's how much time I had until our dual ceremony would begin. Max and I had separated and each taken a child with us. He had Jax and I had Nikki. Dani and Moni were the only other people in the room with me as we waited the final few minutes. I was waiting for Gran and Dad to come in. Gran was going to escort Nikki to the ceremony and of course my dad would walk me down the aisle. There was a knock on the door and in they came, Gran first. She picked up Nikki who was now in her own finery and smiled at us both. "Don't your daughter and granddaughter look breathtaking Michael?" She asked as she stepped aside so he could see us.

My dad stopped in his tracks as he got a look at us both. "Great Googly-Moogly." He'd been watching a lot of TV with the kids this last week, it showed. "Mother, she looks _so_ much like you did on your wedding to dad." He took my hand gently and twirled me around. "You truly look beautiful Jassmine, you and Danique. Wherever did you find their baptism outfits?"

I grinned. "Lucie found them actually. They deserve special outfits just as much as Max and I do." Dad leaned over and kissed Nikki's sleeping head. He'd taken to acting like a grandpa much better than I thought he had with his older grandchildren.

As I stood Father Marc came in. "Just a few more minutes. I wanted to check on you and see how you are feeling.".

I laughed a bit hysterically. "If I said I wasn't anxious I'd be lying, but only for this to be finished.". He smiled as we hugged. "I know he is the one." Dani handed me my bouquet of fake flowers and rubbed my back in sympathy.

Father Marc grinned. "Yes he is as anxious. How are you going to handle both flowers and the baby?"

Gran chuckled. "I will be carrying one and Maxime's mother will have the other. They will carry them to the font." Father nodded in understanding.

"So you have a plan, good." There was then a ruckus outside of the door. Father stuck his head out and then ducked back in. "Do you know what color Lucie will be wearing? There is someone is a very red dress making a scene."

My father groaned and rubbed his forehead. "I'll handle that Father. She is Jassmine's biological mother."

The rest of us groaned at that. "Red dad?"

"And very formal. I told her it was too much but she wouldn't listen. I'll get her seated, you have your mom already here." He waved a hand to Gran.

Father Marc looked between us all in confusion, I took pity and explained. "My mother didn't raise me, my Gran did. To me Gran will always be my rock and the woman I know as my heart's true mom." He nodded in understanding. "I couldn't leave mother out of this even if I wanted to, but she will not ruin my day nor speak to me until after everything is complete."

Father Marc smiled, it was kind of an evil smile one you would not normally see on a priest. "I understand now. She is only the woman who gave birth to you. I will tell her that no one but the bridal party and the bride's father is allowed to see the bride before the wedding. If this does not content her, I have your permission to throw her out of God's house." I nodded firmly. He bowed to us three and went back out.

I exhaled. "I can't believe she would do that."

Monique laughed. "Yes you can, she's your mother.". She had a point. Soon enough everything was calmed down and it was time.

Dad and I Stood off to one side of the double doors. I heard the second movement of Vivaldi's Winter concerto begin and watched as Gran, Lucie and the kids all started up the aisle. Then Monique and Marc-André started their walk. Dani turned to me and with a grin spoke. "Last chance."

I chuckled and shook my head no as she and Bruno started up the aisle and the doors closed. Dad kissed my cheek as I counted to 15, then I heard the music change to Handel's Water Music and I took a deep breath. "It's only the family Jass, no need to be nervous."

The doors before us opened as I spoke. "Not nervous, excited.". Dad chuckled as we made our own sedate walk up the aisle. The church was mostly empty which I expected but Sofia had outdone my expectations by draping our colors tastefully down the center aisle.

When we got to the front I noticed that Max seemed more nervous than I felt. Dad kissed my cheek and handed me off with a smile. Then He took his place next to Gran and Father Marc began. "O God, who since the beginning of the world have blessed the increase of offspring, show favor to our supplications and pour forth the help of your blessing on these your servants Jassmine and Maxime, so that in the union of Marriage they may be bound together in mutual affection, in likeness of mind, and in shared holiness. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.".

We all said the Amen and then I watched as Monique started her reading. " From the book of Tobit chapter 4 verses 6 to 14. Raphael and Tobiah entered the house of Raguel and greeted him. Raguel sprang up and kissed Tobiah, shedding tears of joy. But when he heard that Tobit had lost his eyesight, he was grieved and wept aloud. He said to Tobiah: “My child, God bless you! You are the son of a noble and good father. But what a terrible misfortune that such a righteous and charitable man should be afflicted with blindness!” He continued to weep in the arms of his kinsman Tobiah. His wife Edna also wept for Tobit; and even their daughter Sarah began to weep.

Afterward, Raguel slaughtered a ram from the flock and gave them a cordial reception. When they had bathed and reclined to eat, Tobiah said to Raphael, “Brother Azariah, ask Raguel to let me marry my kinswoman Sarah.”

Raguel overheard the words; so he said to the boy: “Eat and drink and be merry tonight, for no man is more entitled to marry my daughter Sarah than you, brother. Besides, not even I have the right to give her to anyone but you, because you are my closest relative. But I will explain the situation to you very frankly. I have given her in marriage to seven men, all of whom were kinsmen of ours, and all died on the very night they approached her. But now, son, eat and drink. I am sure the Lord will look after you both.”

Tobiah answered, “I will eat or drink nothing until you set aside what belongs to me.”

Raguel said to him: “I will do it. She is yours according to the decree of the Book of Moses. Your marriage to her has been decided in heaven! Take your kinswoman from now on you are her love, and she is your beloved. She is yours today and ever after. And tonight, son, may the Lord of heaven prosper you both. May he grant you mercy and peace.”

Then Raguel called his daughter Sarah, and she came to him. He took her by the hand and gave her to Tobiah with the words: “Take her according to the law. According to the decree written in the Book of Moses she is your wife. Take her and bring her back safely to your father. And may the God of heaven grant both of you peace and prosperity.”

He then called her mother and told her to bring a scroll, so that he might draw up a marriage contract stating that he gave Sarah to Tobiah as his wife according to the decree of the Mosaic law. Her mother brought the scroll, and he drew up the contract, to which they affixed their seals. Afterward they began to eat and drink."

At the conclusion of the reading Moni added the traditional words, "The Word of the Lord," and we all responded, "Thanks be to God." Without a missed beat.

Then it was Marc-André's turn. "Psalm 103:1-2, 8 and 13, 17-18a

R. The Lord is kind and merciful.

Bless the Lord, O my soul;
and all my being, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits.

R. The Lord is kind and merciful.

Merciful and gracious is the Lord,
slow to anger and abounding in kindness.
As a father has compassion on his children,
so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.

R. The Lord is kind and merciful.

But the kindness of the Lord is from eternity
to eternity toward those who fear him,
And his justice towards children’s children
among those who keep his covenant.

R. The Lord is kind and merciful". I had no idea he had such a lovely voice until he began. He had only read it once yesterday. I tried hard not to take at him as he took his place again.

Dani sighed and went up to do the Second Reading: "1 John 3:18-24

Children, let us love not in word or speech
but in deed and truth.

Now this is how we shall know that we belong to the truth
and reassure our hearts before him
in whatever our hearts condemn,
for God is greater than our hearts and knows everything.
Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us,
we have confidence in God
and receive from him whatever we ask,
because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him.
And his commandment is this:
we should believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ,
and love one another just as he commanded us.
Those who keep his commandments remain in him, and he in them,
and the way we know that he remains in us
is from the Spirit that he gave us.

At the she quietly said, "The Word of the Lord," and again we responded, "Thanks be to God.". She then sang out the Gospel Acclamation. "Everyone who loves is born of God and knows him." As Bruno carefully walked to the lectern.

"The Gospel according to Saint John 15:9-12 & 15:12-16

Jesus said to his disciples:
“As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love.
If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,
just as I have kept my Father’s commandments
and remain in his love.

“I have told you this so that my joy might be in you
and your joy might be complete.
This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.”

At the conclusion, he said, "The Gospel of the Lord," and the response of, "Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ."

Father Marc nodded as we all sat, Max and I in chairs moved for us. "When the Bishops first heard I was going to allowed this dual ceremony they were not exactly happy. After all we try hard not to do a wedding and a baptism on the same day. So upset were they that they insisted on questioning Maxime and Jassmine.". He was walking around a little as he spoke. "They had a good answer for every question that was put to them. I especially liked it when Maxime used the words he did, that they were uniting their family in faith and with love. That is what we celebrate here. Their faith and love for each other and God. In a few minutes we will welcome their children into the congregation of God as well and then the love will truly flow. Jesus' commandment we heard but moments ago, Love one another as I love you. There is not a more perfect symbol of love than this. Two hearts becoming one and a family becoming whole with God." It was short, sweet and direct. Love is the word of the day.

He then directed us to stand and began the actual rite of marriage. "My dear friends, you have come together in this church so that the Lord may seal and strengthen your love in the presence of the Church’s minister and this community. Christ abundantly blesses this love. He has already consecrated you in baptism and now he enriches and strengthens you by a special sacrament so that you may assume the duties of marriage in mutual and lasting fidelity. And so, in the presence of the Church, I ask you to state your intentions.

Jassmine and Maxime, have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?"

I felt Max' hand in mine as we answered in tandem. "I have."

"Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?" Father Marc continued.

"I will." Max squeezed my hand lightly.

With a chuckled Father Marc asked the next question. "Will you accept children lovingly from God and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

Max badly stifled a laugh as he answered. "That's the plan."

I rolled my eyes, I couldn't help it. "We will." I said.

Father Marc's eyes were sparkling at our answers, but you only knew this if you were close as he continued. "Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church."

I handed my bouquet off to Dani and took Max's other hand in mine. I saw the love in them and felt that all was right with the world. Then Max began his vows. "I, Maxime, take you, Jassmine, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

He exhaled as he finished. I squeezed his hand and began my own, my voice shaking a bit with emotion. "I, Jassmine, take you, Maxime, to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life."

Father Marc was there next without missing a beat. "You have declared your consent before the Church. May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings.
What God has joined, men must not divide."

I heard Lucie clearly as our families responded. "Amen."

I felt Dani reach past me and hand Father Marc the ring I had found for Max. He also got mine from Bruno and then entoned. "Lord, bless and consecrate Jassmine and Maxime in their love for each other. May these rings be a symbol of true faith in each other, and always remind them of their love.
Through Christ our Lord."

Father Marc held out his book for Max to take my ring first. He did so with slightly shaking hands. As he put it on my finger, he said. "Jassmine, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

I picked up his ring and place it near the correct finger. Without hesitation I spoke clearly. "Maxime, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

I knew what was coming next but I couldn't recall what happened during it. The next thing I knew the Communion Rite was over and we were almost legally and spiritually married.

Father Marc joyfully spoke the final blessing over us. "May God the all-powerful Father grant you his joy and bless you and your children.

May the Only Begotten Son of God stand by you with compassion in good times and in bad.

May the Holy Spirit of God always pour forth his love into your hearts.

And he blesses all the people, adding: And may almighty God bless all of you, who are gathered here,
the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Amen."

He then finished with the dismissal. "May the love shared here today grow and blossom in each and every heart who had born witness. You may kiss your bride." Tenderly Max cupped my cheek and kissed me.

Vivaldi's Spring concerto started up, it was now time for the other half or our ceremony. Dani handed the bouquets off to the kids as Max and I gathered Jaxson and Danique and en masse we processed to the baptismal font.

Father Marc changed books and began. "What names have you given your children?"

We spoke in unison, again. "Jaxon and Danique."

Father Marc suppressed a chuckle, barely and continued. "What do you ask of God's Church for Jaxon and Danique?"

"Baptism."

"You have asked to have your child baptized. In doing so you are accepting the responsibility of training them in the practice of the faith. It will be your duty to bring them up to keep God's commandments as Christ taught us, by loving God and our neighbor. Do you clearly understand what you are undertaking?" He eyed all of us carefully.

"We do." Max's elbow bumped me and I turned in time to see Jax yawn like a lion.

Father Marc then turned to our wedding party and children's godparents. "Are you ready to help the parents of this child in their duty as Christian parents?"

Carefully the said almost together. "We do."

Father Marc then spoke to the half asleep children. "Jaxson and Danique, the Christian community welcomes you with great joy. in its name I claim you for Christ our Savior by the sign of his cross. I now trace the cross on your forehead, and invite your parents and godparents to do the same." He signed the cross on their foreheads and then we all followed suit, trying not to tangle our arms as we did so.

He then spoke with a furver I hadn't heard before. "Almighty and ever-living God, you sent your only Son into the world to cast out the power of Satan, spirit of evil, to rescue man from the kingdom of darkness, and bring him into the splendor of your kingdom of light. We pray for this children: set them free from original sin, make them a temple of your glory, and send your Holy Spirit to dwell with them. We ask this through Christ our Lord."

All of us answered without thinking. "Amen."

He continued. "We anoint you with the oil of salvation in the name of Christ our Savior; may he strengthen you with his power, who lives and reigns for ever and ever."

"Amen."

He anointed the children on the breast with the oil of catechumens. "May you have strength in the power of Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns for ever and ever."

"Amen." He then laid his hands on them and said a silent prayer.

When he was done praying he continued. "My dear brothers and sisters, we now ask God to give this child new life in abundance through water and the Holy Spirit." He faced the font and spoke. "Praise to you, almighty God and Father,
for you have created water
to cleanse and to give life.

Having been to a few baptisms in our lives we all responded without having to think. "Blessed be God."

"Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, the Father’s only Son,
for you offered yourself on the cross,
that in the blood and water flowing from your side,
and through your death and resurrection,
the Church might be born."

"Blessed be God."

"Praise to you, God the Holy Spirit,
for you anointed Christ at his baptism in the waters of Jordan,
so that we might all be baptized in you."

"Blessed be God."

"Come to us, Lord, Father of all,
and make holy this water which you have created,
so that all who are baptized in it
may be washed clean of sin
and be born again to live as your children."

"Hear us, Lord."

"Make this water holy, Lord,
so that all who are baptized into Christ’s death and resurrection by this water
may become more perfectly like your Son."

"Hear us, Lord."

Father Marc then touched the water with his right hand and continued. "Lord, make holy this water which you have created, so that all those whom you have chosen may be born again by the power of the Holy Spirit,and may take their place among your holy people."

"Hear us, Lord."

"You called your children Jaxson and Danique,
to this cleansing water,
that they may share in the faith of your Church and eternal life.
By the mystery of this consecrated water
lead they to a new and spiritual birth.
We ask this through Christ our Lord."

"Amen." Once Father Marc got going it was hard not to just fall in line and answer appropriately. Then Dani nudged me and I remembered that this was for my kids, that helped keep me from zoning out again.

Father Marc turned to us and asked directly. "Dear parents and godparents: You have come here to present these children for baptism. By water and the Holy Spirit they are to receive the gift of new life from God, who is love.

On your part, you must make it your constant care to bring them up in the practice of the faith. See that the divine life which God gives them is kept safe from the poison of sin, to grow always stronger in their hearts.

If your faith makes you ready to accept this responsibility, renew now the vows of your own baptism. Reject sin; profess your faith in Christ Jesus. This is the faith of the Church. This is the faith in which this children are about to be baptized.

Do you reject sin, so as to live in the freedom of God′s children?"

The six of us answered. "I do." I had both Dani and Marc-Andre's hands on my back.

"Do you reject the glamor of evil, and refuse to be mastered by sin?"

Again we spoke together. "I do."

"Do you reject Satan, father of sin and prince of darkness?"

"I do." Moni had threatened to say something funny here to break up the serious tone baptisms always had at this spot but didn't. I threw up a silent thank you.

Father Marc then asked questions using the threefold profession of faith. "Do you believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth?"

"I do." Dani laid her head on my shoulder briefly and I felt Flower rubbing my neck.

"Do you believe in Jesus Christ,
his only Son, our Lord,
who was born of the Virgin Mary,
was crucified, died, and was buried,
rose from the dead,
and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?"

"I do."

"Do you believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting?"

"I do."

He then turned to our family and spoke to them. "This is our faith. This is the faith of the Church. We are proud to profess it, in Christ Jesus our Lord."

They answered with smiles. "Amen."

Turning back to us he started the actual baptism. "Is it your will that Jaxon and Danique should be baptized in the faith of the Church, which we have all professed with you?"

"It is." Max and I unwrapped the kids and handed them to their godparents to hold while they got baptized.

He then baptizes the children, saying: "Jaxson and Danique, I baptize you in the name of the Father,"

"and of the Son, "

"and of the Holy Spirit."

He poured water on them between each recitation. By now both kids were awake and fussing. Dani and Moni were drying the back of their heads off and shushing them carefully as Father Marc began the anointing.

"The God of power and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
has freed you from sin,
given you a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit,
and welcomed you into his holy people.
He now anoints you with the chrism of salvation.
As Christ was anointed Priest, Prophet, and King,
so may you live always as a member of his body,
sharing everlasting life."

I heard a sniffle behind me and taking a glance saw Lucie wiping her eyes as we answered. "Amen."

He then anointed them on the crown of the head with the sacred chrism, in silence. When he was done he spoke. "Jaxson and Danique, you have become a new creations, and have clothed yourself in Christ. See in this white garment the outward sign of your Christian dignity. With your family and friends to help you by word and example, bring that dignity unstained into the everlasting life of heaven."

"Amen."

Gran put on the white garments on the kids, it was an overlay so we didn't have to change them out of their nice outfits.

He then took the candles, lit them and said:

"Receive the light of Christ." Marc- Andre and Bruno both were holding the candles for the kids.

"Parents and godparents, this light is entrusted to you to be kept burning brightly. These children of yours has been enlightened by Christ. They are to walk always as a child of the light. May they keep the flame of faith alive in their hearts. When the Lord comes, may they go out to meet him with all the saints in the heavenly kingdom." I snuck my hand into Max's and felt him hold on tight. Our children were members of our faith now.

Father Marc took turns touching the ears and mouth of the kids with his thumb, saying:

"The Lord Jesus made the deaf hear and the dumb speak. May he soon touch your ears to receive his word, and your mouth to proclaim his faith, to the praise and glory of God the Father."

"Amen." I felt a weight being lifted from my shoulders, we were nearly a whole family.

Next Father Marc led us in another procession to the altar, unless the baptism was performed in the sanctuary. He then stood in front of the altar and addressed us all.

Dearly beloved, these children have been reborn in baptism. They are now called the children of God, for so indeed they are. In confirmation they will receive the fullness of God’s Spirit. In holy communion they will share the banquet of Christ’s sacrifice, calling God their Father in the midst of the Church. In the name of this child, in the Spirit of our common sonship, let us pray together in the words our Lord has given us:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil."

I felt dad's hand on my shoulder as we all prayed. Then Father Marc ended everything with the final blessing. "By God’s gift, through water and the Holy Spirit,
we are reborn to everlasting life.
In his goodness,
may he continue to pour out his blessings upon these sons and daughters of his.
May he make them always, wherever they may be,
faithful members of his holy people.
May he send his peace upon all who are gathered here,
in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I stifled a joyous laugh as we mentioned the final "Amen.". As Sofia restarted Spring to kick off our celebration, Father Marc led us to the office where we all signed the various paperwork to make official the ceremonies we just performed. Max and I signed the register and the kids were officially recognized as Catholic.

Dani went back into the bridal room and gathered the few things we had left in there, including my cloak and Nikki's car seat. Bruno did the same for Max and Jax. While we buckled the kids into their seats everyone else ran interference between us and mother. I was grateful, I didn't feel like going rounds with her right now.

Everyone was waiting to give us a send off. Gran and Lucie took the kids from us, surprising both of us. "Go take a few minutes and have a bit of time just you two. Take your photographer and take some pictures in a nice spot. We will wait at home.". Lucie kissed my cheek and pushed us towards our car.

Ella got in the back once we were in. She took some shots of the rest waving as we left. We drove for a bit and found a good spot by the riverbank. Ella got some good shots, or so she said, of us being exuberantly in love.

It took us 30 minutes to take the pictures Ella wanted to take. By then we were both starting to shiver. "Thank you so much. I'm sorry it's so cold. Let's get you home and warmed up. These are going to turn out nicely though. I want to get some shots of those beautiful babies of yours too.". We got back in the car and turned the heat up.

Max grinned as we drove back to the house. "We are pretty partial to them ourselves. They're good babies, well most of the time."

I snorted. "Unless Nikki is wet, dirty or unhappy. Jax is a happy boy overall.". In truth we had gotten very lucky in the happy baby department.

Getting back to the house we waited for a few minutes. "Just remember love, no matter what happens, we never have to see her again after today.". As if those words weren't ominous enough...
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! finally the wedding/baptism! The reception will be the next chapter and those ending words will be further explored.

If you haven't seen my Pinterest board on the wedding drop me a line and I'll shoot you a link.

All kind words welcome, even if you want to criticize say it kindly.