Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 3

*** Jass' POV*** December 6th, 2013

I sat in the apartment waiting for Ashley and Mel to get here. They called excited about something. "It's something you _have_ to see Jass. We're coming to get you, get ready."

When they got here I only needed to put my coat on to be good to go. Ashley made me sit in the front and gushed as Mel drove. "Oh, wait 'till you see this, we think it's perfect!" Ah, that explained it. Max and I had decided we did need a house here and were starting to look, of course everyone on the team knew about it quickly.

15 minutes later we pulled into the drive of a Chateau style home, complete with attached turret. On the outside it looked good so far, minor stucco work that could and would wait until warmer weather to be done.

The 3 of us went up the walk and into the house carefully, it was December in Denver after all. When I got onto the porch I noticed that the entry was a double door design. That was nice and in keeping with the style too. Upon entering I went first to the kitchen. On the table in there was information about the area we were in. The other two went to find the realtor.

The first thing I thought as I really looked at the kitchen was that it was in serious need of a remodel, it was stuck in the 80s. The floors were vinyl, the countertops were laminate and don't even ask about the cabinets. Sucking it up, and deciding to keep an open mind, I began reading about the Elementary school in the area. I ended up Googling Willow Creek Elementary and finding out it was very highly rated, one of the top in the area. Ok so we wouldn't need it for a few years, but it was still nice to know how good it was.

Ash and Mel came back with the realtor, Anne. She smiled as she sat down on the remaining chair at this breakfast nook. "I see why they asked me to come to you. Any questions so far?"

I looked over at her and smiled. "The main one I have right now is why are they selling. Sure it's got some minor repair work needed on the outside and a kitchen that screams uncle but what's the real reason?" Oops, I hadn't meant to be that tactless. I felt my cheeks heating as a I worked to contain my embarrassment.

Anne either didn't notice or didn't care as she answered. "Quite simply, it's the winters. The wife's father lives with them and he can't take them anymore so they are moving south. The rest of the house isn't as dated at the kitchen is. I encourage you to take a look around." She got up to check on someone else who was also looking at the house leaving us to speak in private.

Mel sighed. "Yeah the kitchen is awful but that's what summers are for, remodelling when you aren't here to be under foot. Please come look at the rest, we'll go slow for you." She held my hand as she spoke, I think willing me to agree.

I chuckled half to myself. I did want to see the rest of the house, I was here after all and that was a feat. "Fine, we'll look. Let's start upstairs though and work our way back here." Ash and Mel high fived and helped me up. We climbed the stairs and I found I really liked the graceful arc it did. Added elegance to the hallway.

Getting into the master suite I noticed there was no real transition between the bathroom and bedroom, it was open. This simultaneously sent a thrill to some parts of me and shock and horror to my brain. The shock died when I noticed that the toilet was enclosed. It had both a good sized jetted tub and a shower, talk about luxury. The closet needed a new organizer but was large enough for both Max and I to have plenty of room.

The three other bedrooms on this floor were decorated for kids, teens really. Two of these room were smaller than I expected but I could see the kids being in them when they grew enough to have their own rooms. At first they could be in the larger of the three and together. This did make me wonder where the wife's father was living which lead me to finding technically the bonus space. It was clearly his space though. As I looked, I noticed that there were things from World War 2 in the room. That told me a lot about the person staying in this room.

We made our way back downstairs and into the great room. In addition to the free standing fireplace you could see from both what I think was the formal dining room and the great room, the room itself was huge. The ceiling went up as far as the room was wide and long. Something I liked and something not many would notice was that the far corners of the room, the ones furthest from the rest of the house, were blunted. No getting something stuck in those corners.

The home office, like the library/study area above it, were in the turretted part of the house. I found the semi circular wall to be a nice decorative touch, like the staircase. I really liked the built in shelves in the library, they matched the curved wall.

There was one thing I didn't like, besides the kitchen, there was a closet near the garage and laundry room that would _have_ to go. We needed somewhere to put on shoes and coats,so turning that area into more of a mud room-like feel would be better for us.

We sat again in the breakfast area of the kitchen and I sighed heavily. "Ok, you're right this is _nearly_ perfect for us." Mel fist pumped and Ashley looked at me oddly. "There would be some serious modification that would need to be done. The kitchen and the area between the garage and the laundry room both need a makeover. The floors could use some work too." They conceded those points to me and I made sure to set up a private tour for when Max got home.

We went back to the apartment and as I walked up I saw a couple box I had been waiting for. "Awesome they're finally here." I picked up the boxes, with effort due to my belly, and went inside. "You guys want to help me? I have to get our hospital bags together now that's the final pieces are here."

Mel's jaw dropped. "You haven't had those done?!" We got into the living room and sat down. "Hon, you're due anytime. Aren't those important?" I opened the boxes and pulled out the bag I had ordered for Max and chuckled at her. "Wait, there's something you aren't telling us."

I grinned impishly, touched my nose and pointed at her. "Got it in one. I've been waiting until I got here for one and for two I wanted to get a bag for Max that I know he would love and use. Now, be a dear and grab the box in the closet in the bedroom down here. That's where the rest is hidden." While she went to do that I opened the other box and sighed happily. My slippers had been lost during the move and I had been freezing. No more though, I now had new L.L. Bean slippers, and so did Max.

Ashley handed me a glass of water while Mel came in with the box I had put in the closet down here. Mel put it down by me and sat on the couch. "Ok, I have been combing all sorts of places for a good list for what to pack and I've been gathering and setting aside everything either by labeling it in the box I sent here or by just hiding it." I pulled everything I wanted out and let it sit around me while I got everything ready.

I got the plastic vinyl train case I had found and then set about finding the things I wanted in it. I then handed it to Ashley. "Would you make these fit the case please. Don't need a whole lot for the kids, it should fit." She smiled and took it.

Mel leaned forward. "What can I do?" I had to smile. I pulled everything I had that still had a tag on it and handed it over.

"My robe and nursing pajamas, both shirts for Max and his sleep pants need to be de-tagged and washed. The rest of this needs to be de-tagged only. I washed the kids clothes already so they're ready to pack." She nodded once and began working on it. I looked at both bags and decided to add paci pods to them both. That meant going and getting them but that was ok with me. I wanted to give the kids the best start I could but I was also trying to be realistic.

While I was upstairs I also grabbed my favorite essential oils, peppermint and lavender. Dr. Gray and I had gone over, via email, just how safe it was to externally use essential oils. In fact she had found a massage therapist for me to see starting next week. I'd found that I was a lot calmer and felt better when I used them. I also grabbed my toiletry bag with all my favorite travel sized things in it.

I attached the paci pods to both bags and then put my toiletry bag into the bag I would be taking. As I went down my checklist I realized that I needed an outfit to come home in. Instead of going back upstairs, I hit the laundry room. I found my grecian tunic and leggings from Isabella Oliver. I then packed them without worrying about shoes, there were 2 pairs I could wear right now, I wasn't about to give either up for who knew how long.

Once my bag was as ready as I could make it for now, I turned my attention to the bag I was prepping for Max. I had found a wonderful bag that he would be able to use while he went on the road as well on the Orvis site. I opened it and set it on the coffee table. Ashley looked up at the end of her task. "That's a nice bag. Who is it for?"

I smiled. "Max doesn't have a lot of time to pack for the hospital, so I'm making sure he has what he needs. I'm also using it as his new daddy kit." She looked at me oddly. "It's so he knows that he's as important to these two as I am. Packing things he'll need and things that will give him a chance to bond with the kids without me." I started laying in the things I had gotten. "There, I have some things I can't put in just yet, mostly cause they'd go bad. Then I remembered something and snapped my fingers. I grabbed the two wrapped gifts I had set aside from each child to Max and put them in the outside pockets. "You remember the crocheted hockey gear I got?" The girls both nodded. "I wrapped them and the newest Avs fan onesies up to be from the kids."

Mel chuckled. "Wait, he hasn't seen those? They're adorable!" I just smiled at her. "Oh, the bag is something he will be able to take with him as a reminder of the happy day your children are born. That's tricky."

"More than that, they're his first father's day gifts. Everyone will celebrate the kids and I. I wanted to celebrate him." I checked the time and noticed it was time. "Shall we put the game on?"

~~~~~~~~~~ December 9th, 2013

Three days later, after my doctor's appointment, I plugged in the address of the house and looked innocent as Max looked at me oddly. "So where are we going chéri?" He began following the directions given to him by the GPS system.

"To our next appointment. Ash and Mel found a place that I've seen and want your opinion on." We turned onto Lincoln Street and then got onto I-25. "It needs some work both inside and out but it feels right. 4 bedrooms and a bonus room as well as an open library and an office. Overall it's lovely I think and I really want you to see it too. The owners have to move south due to family."

Merging onto the 470, Max shook his head. "So Mel and Ashley found a house, took you to it and had you look at it and you think I'll like it too. Must be some house." As we got to our exit onto Quebec Street Max barked out a laugh. "Quebec Street."

I nodded. "That's another reason I thought it might be a good one. It was a sign." We quickly came upon the turn for E. Mineral Drive. "It's got a great school and walking trails through the neighborhood and park." We were now on S. Trenton Street and then pulling into the driveway.

Max turned off the car and sat there I think a bit stunned. "C'est magnifique! Ressemble juste à la maison! Venez mon amour laissez nous allons voir notre maison. (It's magnificent! Looks just like from home! Come my love let us go see our home.)" He got out and as usual came around to help me. We carefully made our way up the driveway to the front door. "Moving in the winter won't be fun but we can do it if this is truly the right home."

I rang the doorbell and we were met by someone other than the realtor. "Hi, you must be Jass. Anne sends her apologies, she's come down with a horrible cold. I'm Teresa, one of the owners, she asked me to show you and your husband around." She moved back and graciously let us into her home.

Max helped me with my coat and then his own. "Jass tells me you're moving south due to family. I hope it is nothing bad." We moved first into the kitchen, I liked that it was so close to the front door, it was like it truly was the heart of the home.

Sitting at the same table as I had 3 days earlier Teresa sighed and nodded. "My dad can't take the winters here anymore. Ever since mom died he's had trouble."

In walked her father, I could tell by how he defended his beloved. "Éloise, was a saint. All these years later I still know how lucky I am to have found her during the war. Even luckier to have wooed her into coming here." He sat down between Max and I, I couldn't help but smile. He still loved her and it clearly showed.

Teresa started to say something to him but he stuck his hand out to Max and introduced himself. "Brannan McCaffery."

"Max Talbot." They shook hands. "My wife Jass." He gestured across the table at me and I nodded.

"You aren't Frenchies come to take jobs now are ya?" He eyed Max harshly.

The shock on Teresa's face said it all as she spoke. "Da!"

Max waved her off, chuckling mildly. "No sir, I from Quebec and Jass' family is in Philly. I play for the Avalanche here." He took out his Quebec driver's license as proof as well as the Colorado one he now had.

That seemed to settle him down which helped Teresa too. "Da, let's not scare away people who are interested in the house alright?" He waved at her as if what she was saying was stupid. "Would you like to look at the house? It's probably not as clean as it was Saturday but with 3 teens it's sometimes hard to keep clean."

I took Max's hand and smiled. "I've seen, you go look this way your opinion isn't colored by mine." Just then I got a dual hit of babies pushing into my diaphragm and Braxton-Hicks. I know it was Braxton-Hicks because Dr. Gray had said that I wasn't yet dilated just an hour before. We'd also had an ultrasound to check on their positioning. Dr. Gray had happily reported that they were both head down and barring any odd complications should stay that way.

Concern crossed Max's face as I breathed as best I could through. As things subsided I patted his hand. "I'm fine, Braxton Hicks and 4 feet pushing up." That took the concern off his face and he just shook his head.

Max and Teresa went on a tour of the house while I stayed with Brannan in the kitchen. He got up and got a glass of water and wordlessly set it on the table in front of me. He then got one for himself and sat down. "My Ellie had twins the first time. She said sometimes water would help when things sorta hurt."

"Go raibh maith agat. (Thank you.)" I said in Irish which caused a great big smile to come across his face.

"You speak the mother tongue. How?" He went up and got some biscuits, true Irish biscuits, and brought them back to the table.

I smiled, recognizing the package. It was Gran's favorite brand too. "My Gran taught me. I have cousins still there."

"And you're wed to a French Canadian." Brannan shook his head. "Does he speak French to you?"

I heard Max laugh upstairs and smiled. "He does sir. We even argue in it. We plan on having our children be multilingual as well. We'll teach them French, Irish and English."

"Good on ya." He leaned over the table and beckoned me closer. "If you really like the house there's something ye should know." He looked outside the kitchen and then back at me. "A year or so ago, pipes burst over the winter. There was water everywhere. I ken my kids didn't tell that stuck up lady as I was there with them. I wouldn't one such as yourself not to know though. Both floors were wet and a rush job was done on it."

I let that sink in for a moment. He was telling me about something that wasn't being disclosed by the owners. "You know they could get in trouble for not disclosing that." I'd been reading up on property law since seeing the house. "Anything else wrong and not been said?"

He smiled softly and nodded. "You remind me of my Ellie. Always wanting to know everything up front. Smart of you though. The rush job, they dinna check the subfloor, only dried what they saw and patched. I oughta know, Ellie and I built this house decades ago. She needs some real love, this ol' girl. A family that will care for her proper-like not just pay lip service to it. Of everyone who's come through her to look, you're the first who I think might be perfect."

I leaned closer and kissed his cheek. "Thank you. We'll be sure to have it checked out. Would you mind terribly if the kitchen got updated?"

He blushed after I moved back. "Girlie, you make an old man's heart flutter with that. That would be the love she might need. I was a contractor when I was younger. You could always tell who was good to their homes and who wasn't. I think you're good to your home."

I heard Teresa and Max on the stairs and smiled at Brannan. "We work hard to be good to our homes. They are our sanctuary from the world." He nodded and I was sure we were on the same page.

Soon enough Max came in with sparkling eyes and that smile that won't quit of his. "Vous avez raison, il a besoin de quelques travaux. Avez-vous le voulez? (You're right, it needs some work. Do you want it?)" I nodded and his smile got bigger. "Bon, moi aussi. (Good, me too.)"

Teresa looked at her father oddly. "Da? Anything to add?" He smiled devilishly and shook his head no. "What's going on Da, you've always had something to say before."

Again he shook his head. "I just like seeing two people so deeply in love that language is no barrier." Teresa seemed stunned by that but both Max and I flushed.

Back in the car on the way to the apartment I told Max what Brannan had told me. "That explains why they are so eager to sell. She asked me if we wanted to make an offer today." He scoffed. "I laughed and told her that if we were it would be _after_ we had talked about it, in private."

I smiled, that explained the laughter. "What do you think though? We'd have to remodel, no question. Probably down to new subfloors and up." Did I really like the house, yeah. Was I going to push Max into a house that needed a lot of work, no.

"The house is great, I can totally see us there. Before we do anything formal, let me make some calls. Maybe we can find someone willing to take on the task of checking and doing the remodel of at least the kitchen." We pulled into the neighborhood and made our way to our spot.

Once we were there and walking to the door, I added. "I wouldn't mind making the landing by the laundry into more of a mudroom, needs at least a bench. Most of the bedrooms upstairs are small too, I might want to see if we can change that."

I got tucked onto the couch with everything I might need for a while shortly after. "Call if you need anything. I'm going to be up in our room making those calls." He kissed my temple and as he went upstairs, nearly tripped on the go bags. "What are these?" He said bringing them out to me.

"They're our hospital bags. This way we can keep them in the car or the house and when it's time we're mostly ready. They need a few things that we can't pack until right before we go. Mostly snacks for you which I don't want to have go stale." Max put them down next to me and I saw his eyes shimmering.

"You made sure I had a bag packed for when our kids come into the world?' I nodded silently. "As much as I want to go through it now, I want to wait too. I'll go put these into the car so I'm not tempted." He kissed my temple. "Je t'aime tellement, il n'y a pas assez de mots. (I love you so much, there are not enough words.)" He went out and put the bags in the car and then went to make the calls he had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry gang you'll have to wait to see what's IN those bags beyond what little I said. Trust me it will be worth it.

Here is the house they were looking at. I have a few modifications in mind to make that will make it even more parfait (perfect) for them.

As always comments and questions are always welcome! They _do_ help me write faster.