Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 5

Dec. 24, 2013 4 pm *Jass' POV*

I'd woke up this morning to a backache. Not that this was unusual but this ache was worse than normal. It was now time to think about getting ready for the 6 pm Mass we had decided to go to, so we could eat after. The only thing I could fit any more were loose tops, leggings and skirts. Then I found it, a blue dress I could wear. It was a swing dress and a camisole one at that, but I fit it! It took me over an hour to get dressed and ready. As I went to the bathroom I felt something fall into the toilet. Looking at it after I got worried and went to ask Gran what it meant. "Gran, can you come here please."

She came upstairs looking concerned. "What is it hon?" I showed her and she nodded in understanding. "Oh, that's a good sign. Looks like I might have timed my visit perfectly." By now Max had joined us to see what the fuss was about and then went to find the baby book.

As he came back in, he showed me what he thought it was. The bloody show that was a sign that labor was coming. "Has anything been feeling odd today?" He asked carefully.

I thought about it. "My back has been bugging me since I woke up, but other than that not really." I shook my head as we cleaned up and went back downstairs.

Gran hugged me. "Let us know if things start to hurt. Don't worry about the time." She went and packed a small bag just in case. "In fact I'll just put this in the car as well, just in case."

In short order we went to church, we needed to just to get seats. Once we got in we came face to face with Father Israel. "There you all are. I was hoping we would see you tonight." He crooked a finger and started towards the sacristy. "Come with me mama." Max took my arm to help me and we followed. Going into the sacristy Father picked up his prayer book and the chrism. "I'm sorry no one did this for you sooner, but I'm also glad I get to." He then began the short blessing before birth. "God has brought gladness and light to the world through the Virgin Mary's delivery of her child. May Christ fill your heart with his holy joy and keep you and your babies safe from harm. In the name of the Father, + and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

I felt at peace after getting the blessing. "Thank you Father. I have a feeling it won't be long before you're giving me the after birth blessing." The pain I had been feeling had worsened slightly but it still wasn’t bad.

He smiled at me. "Well let us know when you want the baptism so we can get it scheduled." He said, completely forgetting about our dual service we already had almost planned in February.

Max laughed. "Did you forget Father? We're doing our marriage prep through you for our wedding and baptism for the kids. It's already scheduled for Valentine's Day in Brossard in the parish I grew up in." He tightened his hold on me which was good as I had a rather painful contraction hit. I hissed a little bit and tightened my own hold on Max. His head turned to me quickly and he looked up and down at me.

I breathed and answered his unasked question. "I'm fine. Just caught me off guard. Let's go find seats." We did and enjoyed the Christmas Eve Service.

Dinner ended up being at home due to everywhere we tried being closed for Christmas, not that I minded. It meant I could get as comfortable as I could. By now it was closing on 9 pm and my whole body was aching. I went upstairs to re-read the signs of labor. As I read through the paperwork I sighed, I might very well be in the early stages of labor. I had many of the signs. Breathing had gotten a tiny bit easier while walking had taken a nose dive. Of course that had happened in the last few weeks. Add in the bloody show and the pain I was feeling that started out mild in the morning was now making me grimace every time it hit. It was adding up to meeting the twins _very_ soon.

I hissed through another contraction and checked the time at the end of it. I had no idea how long it had lasted but I would be checking when the next one came. While I waited, I checked when Dr. Gray wanted her people to go to the hospital. Not until the contractions were 5 to 7 minutes apart or after my water broke whichever came first. That gave us plenty of time right now.

I was checking my email when the next contraction hit. After breathing in and letting it out slowly, I checked the time. 15 minutes had passed. We were quite a ways from going right now. As I breathed carefully through this one, I found my other bottle of lavender oil and took a whiff. It was an autonomic reaction, I relaxed and the pain lessened. As the pain faded from this one, I went into the bathroom and started the shower. That's what I had been reading, that water could help relax you and end up speeding up labor. I got in carefully, mindful of my now lousy balance, and let the warm water soothe the aches away.

20 minutes later I was feeling much better, so I dried off and just slid into bed. I didn't feel like putting anything on, so I didn't. I dropped off to sleep without Max even upstairs.

The next thing I knew I was being shaken awake. "Jass, honey?" I struggled to wake up at hearing Max's voice. I opened my eyes and saw his smiling face. "There you are. Is everything alright? You were moaning in your sleep." He was rubbing my back gently.

I checked the time and noticed it was 11 pm. I'd slept for about an hour. I felt better for my nap. I stretched and felt something pop. Then I went to move and found myself warm and wet. Max must have felt it too as he flipped back the covers and then gaped at me. I touched the wetness and then sniffed it, no I hadn't wet myself. I looked at Max astonishedly. "I think my water just broke."

I watched as panic filled his face. "It can't have, you're not far enough along in labor yet." He was nearly shouting when I had the first contraction since I woke up. I started to moan and then remembered what had worked to relax me before. I fumbled for my lavender and ended up knocking it off my nightstand. That seemed to kick Max into gear. He moved quickly around and got it for me. I took a deep whiff and felt myself relax. I took slow and steady breaths until the pain passed.

I then spoke. "Max, I think I've been in labor most of the day. Remember I said I woke up with a backache. Then there was the strong one that surprised me before Mass. They got stronger as the day has gone on. With this, it's for sure time to go to Rose Medical. I'll put something on and call the Labor and Delivery Ward, you go wake Gran and pack some snacks from the fridge." He blankly looked at me and then nodded. He went to go do that while I picked up my phone and dialed the ward.

Gran came up to check on me while I was on the phone. I waved her into the bedroom as I spoke. "Yes, last week Dr. Gray said I was 2 cm and 40% effaced. This morning I woke with back pain that hasn't gone away, but got worse slowly. My fiancé woke me and said I was moaning, when I moved to sit up, my water broke." Gran picked up the comforter and sighed. She prodded me into moving slowly, this made more fluid come out. When the nurse asked what color it was, I said clear and heard her sigh in relief.

"It's definitely time for you to come in then. Do you know roughly how long it will take you to get here?" I did know this, Max and I had driven the route a couple weeks ago after an appointment.

As I tried to remember I watched Gran strip the bed efficiently. "Yeah, about a half hour. We're down near Centennial."

"Yeah you should make your way here as safely as you can. We'll call Dr. Gray and let her know you're on your way." The nurse sounded positive and reassuring, exactly what I needed.

"We'll leave the house in a few minutes then. We're already packed." I said goodbye and hung up my phone. I turned to go put something on and found Gran there holding my sleep bra and a wrap top. I put those on while she got my bottoms ready to put on. I slid into my black ballet flats and coat as I saw Max trying to remember where his keys were. "Babe, there on the counter next to your charging phone and wallet." I said calmly. Gran put on her outerwear as well.

When I looked at her to questions this, she scoffed. "Did you really think I would let you leave me behind? Let's go get you in the car while he grabs those snacks he packed." Halfway down the front walk to the car another contraction hit. Max almost dropped what he was carrying in his rush to get to me. Gran on the other hand, draped me over her chest and helped me breathe through it. "I'll get you all through this if you'll let me." She said as I got into the car. Without speaking, due to being amazed at how calm she was, I nodded.

Soon enough we were all in the car and on Colorado Highway 470 East heading for U.S. Highway 87 and Denver. I didn't bother counting the contractions I had along the way, nor how long it was between them. I was busy listening to my Gran's calming voice telling me to breathe and relax, and occasionally for Max to not watch me and drive. It felt like moments before I was being helped out of the car and into the hospital.

When I entered the Labor and Delivery Ward, it was all hands on deck with me. A nurse named Julie checked me in and asked if I wanted a jacuzzi tub or not. "I can do that even after my water has broken?" She nodded and I about sobbed in relief. "Please."

"Follow me then and we'll get you into the tub. Who do we have with you?" She asked as we got into the room and another contraction hit.

Gran had me lean into the wall and breathe. "You're doing so well my girl." She was rubbing my back in counter pressure to how I was hurting. "Your letting your body do the work and you're going to meet your little ones soon." Her voice was low and soothing. It helped me relax and focus.

Once it had passed Julie helped Gran get me into the tub which she had been filling while I was breathing. I found that Max had also joined us in the room. Once I was in the tub, Gran ordered Max to find his swimsuit and get behind me in the tub. Max looked around, not sure which was his bag. I was able to speak right now. "Yours is the canvas duffle bag love." He grinned at the help and unzipped it.

Of course all of the special books I had gotten just for daddy to read were on top. His jaw dropped as he read some of the titles. "What the?" He looked up and paused. I saw the light in his eyes. "I'll look at those later. Maybe you'll explain everything to me later too." He grabbed his suit and went to change.

Julie checked to see how far along I was. There was a big smile on her face as she did. "Great news mom, you're almost ready to push. 100% effacement and 9 cm dilated." I was squatting in the tub and currently had my head leaned back onto Max's shoulder, he was making sure I didn't tip over. I smiled as I panted.

"That's wonderful news." I heard from the doorway. "Looks like you are going to have two little Christmas Miracles." I rolled my eyes to see who was there and saw Dr. Gray. She came over and joined us tubside. "So give me the rundown. How long have you been in labor and all that."

Of course that's when another contraction hit, so Gran took over. "She said before Christmas Eve Mass that she woke with a backache this morning, she had her bloody show before we left the house for Mass. After dinner she went upstairs and about a half hour later we heard the shower running. That's when Max checked online for signs of labor and we started checking off things we had seen. We let her be until we heard her loudly moaning. Then Max went up to check on her and I knew for sure she was in labor. Her contractions are about a minute to a minute and 15 seconds and coming now every 3 to 4 minutes."

Dr. Gray looked impressed. She looked at Julie and laughed. "Anything to add?"

Julie shook her head no which made me laugh. "Gran has had kids and grandkids and great-grandkids. She's the family rock."

Max was firmly massaging my lower back, which felt awesome, and added his two cents. "Gran told me she was a registered nurse in the labor ward until she got pregnant. She's kept us both in line on our way up here."

5 contractions and 15 minutes later Dr. Gray checked me again. "Ok Jass it's time. Where are we doing this?" I threw a look over my shoulder towards the bed and just couldn't see myself anywhere but right here.

"Right here. I don't want to move too far." Dr. Gray nodded and I saw Julie peripherally moving things to be closer to where I was. I also heard Gran moving and then a small clink of glass. I was starting to get tired of aching so much. Even with the water and massage I was having trouble with how painful the contractions had become. "Gran what are you doing?"

"I'm making sure your rollers are ready for afterwards. You look like you could use a pick me up Jass, would you like some peppermint?" She put the vial under my nose and I took a deep sniff. It helped me feel more energized and centered.

Soon I felt the need to push. When I asked if I could I was told yes. I barely heard Gran tell Max that his job was to keep me in whatever position I wanted to be in. Then she was in my ear. "Ok Jassmine now the real work starts. There are three people you need to listen to now. Yourself, Dr. Gray and me. If you need to push, you push. Unless we tell you to stop. Max is here supporting you so don't worry about falling." He leaned up and kissed my shoulder.

With the next contraction I started pushing. Max was on his knees supporting my weight. Gran was in my ear telling me how well I was doing. I focussed downward and was very surprised when I was told to stop pushing for a moment. Then I heard it, one of our children was entering the world and was unhappy about it. I sobbed when I opened my eyes and saw our first child. I couldn’t help but think how beautiful the baby was. "Hello baby." I said in a very wavering voice. A towel was put over the baby and before I could say anything else I felt the need to push again. "Here comes your..." It hit me than that I hadn't looked to see who had joined us first. I pulled the towel off of the little one and saw who had joined us. "Here comes your sister little man."

I felt Max kiss my shoulder again as I pushed our little girl into the world. Again I was told to stop pushing briefly and then heard her first cry. My emotions overcame me and I began crying. I couldn't help it, they were so beautiful. Max helped me sit down and lean back against him as we watched our children be checked for their Apgar scores, twice each. Baby A's scores were 9, 10 and 10. Baby B's scores weren't quite as good at 8, 9, 10. They weren't going to need NICU time!

Unbenounced to me I had delivered both placentas while I was otherwise occupied enjoying our babies. When I was ready to move and get out of the water, I handed the kids off to Max and Gran. Max had gotten out a few minutes earlier and was now dressed in the sleepwear I packed for him. I sat on the end of the bed and sighed. They had placed towels to catch the extra water, which was good. I was flying high on whatever hormones were flooding my system now and so I didn't notice that I was bleeding. Dr. Gray noticed as she came to check me over and quickly got me settled back further in the bed and with an IV. My sleep bra was taken off of me and the kids were placed on my chest.

I was encouraged to let both kids latch on and begin nursing. It took some doing to get them both on and suckling but with help I was able to do it. I don't know how long they nursed, I didn't care at the time. What I did care about was the pain I was feeling. That's when I noticed Dr. Gray and Gran talking in hushed tones. Something wasn't right, that much I could tell by how they were talking. I couldn't tell what until Gran came over and picked up our son. "Max, pick her up. Jass they need to take you and check you for something. I promise these two won't be let out of our sight."

I wasn't sure what was going on and soon I didn't care as I was numbed up very well and had a few doctors doing something near my lady parts. I couldn't tell how long it took, what I do know is that I joined my family in one of the Six North Suites. I had never seen Max look so relieved as I did when I was wheeled into that room. I held out my hands and both kids were gently placed on me. Max cuddled up next to me. "Look at them Max. Look at our Jaxson and Danique."

He kissed me carefully. "Merry Christmas my love." I looked and found that it was now 1 am on Christmas Morning. We had our Christmas Miracles after all. "They have had their first baths, been weighed and measured and even have their special hats on." I had noticed that the hats Danny had given us were on the two of them. They were also tucked into Christmas stockings. "Jaxson weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces and was 20 inches long. His lovely sister, Danique was a bit bigger at 6 pounds 8 ounces and 20 and 1/2 inches long."

Gran kissed my cheek. "Take it easy Jassmine, you had some severe bleeding which is why you were taken to be cared for. I'm not sure right now why you had such severe bleeding but Dr. Gray told me that she was going to medically require you to stay another day. To make sure that you aren't having any more problems before you three come home." She touched the kids' cheeks. "This old woman needs some sleep. Do you mind if I stay?"

I looked at Max and smiled. "I don't, but you should know he's a cuddler." I yawned then. Sleep sounded like a great idea. "Bring the bassinet over babe." Danique started to fuss.

Max got up and wheeled it over. Before he placed the kids into it, he changed their diapers. That seemed to quiet them both down as did the sleep sacks. Max made sure to put them both in the same bassinet for their comfort. Gran, by now, had changed into sleepwear and was opening the couch to find the bed that was within. Once the kids were safe and sound, I made myself as comfy as I could and whispered good night to everyone.

6 hours later I was woken by the nurses assistant who has come to check my vitals. I felt like I had been put through the wringer now. Annie came in shortly thereafter and introduced herself as my nurse. Tired but knowing that I needed her, I said hello quietly. This still woke Max and Gran. "I didn't realize you weren't alone."

I smiled tiredly as Max came over to my bed. "I wasn't about to kick my grandmother out at 1:30 in the morning nor daddy." He pulled the bassinet closer and peered in. We had moved it a bit out from the bed so they could be grabbed by anyone who was close while we slept.

Annie went over and looked at the kids. "This was smart, keeping them together. It will ease the transition to the world for them. Swaddling sleep sacks are a good touch too. Breakfast for you will be coming shortly, although the rest of the family is on their own." She sounded apologetic about it.

Gran chuckled. "That's fine, just means I can bully him into going home for a little bit. At least to shower himself." Gran sat on the end of the pull out bed and sighed. "Look at those two little angels."

Max's cell phone rang which made him do the mad dash for it. "Joyeux Noël!" He said as he answered it. I quickly knew who was on the phone, his folks. "Maman, put us on speaker would you. We have some news everyone needs to hear." I watched him do the same so we could all hear them as they heard the news. Once both sides were ready, he poked Jaxson who was waking up a little bit. This made him cry, waking Danique as well. I heard the collective gasp over the phone. "Permettez-moi de vous présenter les deux Miracles de Noël. Jaxson et Danique. (Let me introduce the two Christmas Miracles. Jaxson and Danique.)"

The phone call quickly went from a group call to his mother picking up the phone again and demanding to know everything. Meanwhile Annie helped me change the children and get them latched on again. Gran moved into the bathroom during this time as well. When she came out she picked up the keys and told me she would go get breakfast for herself and Max.

Once Max was done with his family, I called the rest of mine. Dad picked up the phone. "Merry Christmas!" He said as he came on the line.

"Merry Christmas dad. I wouldn't be calling so early but I knew that the news I have would be the best gift you guys get today." Max was holding my phone so I could feed the kids. Dad asked what kind of news would I be giving and I asked if the entire family was there. Of course they all were, including the kids. Dad put me on speaker without needing a prompt and I took a deep breath. "At 12:01 and 12:03 am respectfully the family grew by two. Jaxson and Danique joined us on this Christmas Morning." The silence was stunning.

Finally I heard someone pick up the phone and ask in a small voice. "Auntie, your babies came?" It was Kevin.

"Yeah KK they did. They were smaller than you were when you were born but they are healthy." I heard a muffled sob come from his end and then my sister joined him on the phone.

"Jass, they're really here?"

Max then spoke up. "We'd make them cry but they are eating right now. We'll send pictures as soon as we can."

I heard an extension be picked up and then Dad come on the line. He wanted details, to which my sister just scoffed and I laughed. "Jaxson is a little bit smaller right now than Danique but only by half an inch and 3 ounces." We proceeded to give them as many details as we could until I needed to get off the phone so I could eat.

Once my breakfast was done, Max put the kids in the bassinet and brought his bag over to the bed. "Ok you, spill." He emptied it and now wanted explanations.

I blushed and picked up the bag. "I found this and thought how great it would be to take with you when you went on the road. It's a good size and I loved the second idea I had." I showed him the two pockets. "This way the kids can each put something in them so you could have something special from each of them. In fact, take a look in them now. I think you'll like what you find."

I handed the bag back and watched as he opened the outside pockets. He gasped as he realized what they were. "Two Newest Fan Avs onesies and their own first Avs gear." I showed him the differences between the two sets and watched him tear up a little. I then showed him the slippers in the built in shoe compartment. "I love this bag. It's got everything I need."

That made me smile. "I hoped you'd love it. As for all the books. I thought you needed a special thing that only you and they did, so I got some special books for you to read to them. I'll read to them when you aren't home and different books. These are for the three of you alone." Max turned my face to him and kissed me.

He pulled back just an inch or two and spoke. "Sais que Je t'aime et ne veux plus jamais vous laisser trois. Votre plan de me laisser liaison avec nos enfants d'une manière spéciale, je me sens comme je suis plus que leur papa, mais votre partenaire dans la parentalité. Je ne peux pas attendre pour nous faire des partenaires dans la vie. (Know that I love you and never want to leave you three. Your plan to let me bond with our children in a special way makes me feel like I am more than just their papa, but your partner in parenting. I can not wait to make us partners in life.)" I sighed against his lips. My heart was full, I had our children safe and my husband-to-be there was nothing more at this moment I wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah one of the moments we have been waiting for! I hope you enjoyed reading the birth of Jaxson and Danique.

If you were curious about what Jass took to the hospital, you can see it here on my Pinterest page.

Obviously the fun is just starting for Jass and Max with these two, please let me know what you thought of this though.

ACK! Only HOW long until they get married too?! So much to get done before then!