Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 6

* Dec. 25th, 2013- Jan. 3rd, 2014*

At 9 am I had 2 visitors come by, well not really visitors, they were Dr. Gray and Dr. Bouzarelos, the kids' pediatrician. They were here to check on their patients. Gran was back but Max had left. He went to the house to gather the gifts we had and bring them here. I was kind of glad he wasn't here as I was checked, prodding my belly and such hurt!

That's when Dr. Gray noticed something. "Jassmine, have you ever had a breast reduction?" I stopped and blinked at her, had she not seen the scars before?

"Um, yeah I did. For health reasons. I was a double D at the age of 14. It should have been in my file from Dr. Sykes." She let me cover back up. I sat up and saw a look pass between the doctors. I moved so I got their attention again. "I had to lobby my pediatrician and my mother for 2 years, growing from a 32A to a 34DD in that time." Dr. Gray's eyes widened. "What finally pushed them into action was Dr. Sykes telling my mom how they were affecting me physically."

With this information another look passed between them. Dr. Gray then spoke. "There's a good chance that your doctor saved enough to feed but there's just as good of a chance that he didn't. We won't know for sure until and if you engorge Even then you may have serious problems."

Dr. B moved the kids closer to my bed. "We'll watch you three carefully. I would suggest talking to the hospital's lactation consultant as well as Stacey from my practice. In fact would you mind if I call her now to let her know?" I shook my head no and he began dialing. "Stacey, I'm sorry to call on Christmas Day but I needed to let you know about our newest patients." He went into some detail while he spoke to her, ending with a question to me. "She wants to know if she could come visit you today. Is that alright?"

I sat up straighter. "Oh please. More support is better." He relayed my assent and then began his own evaluation of my newborn twins.

Neither Jaxson or Danique liked being poked, prodded and undressed, but they settled down after they were redressed. They were both well developed with all the normal reflexes intact and strong. They were quiet until Annie came back in and drew blood from them for their screenings. After that and a good cuddle I head Dr. B on his phone again, this time telling his office about Jax and Dani.

I remembered that I did have a question for Dr. Gray. "I know you support my decision to wear a postpartum binder, when should I start that?"

"Anytime you want for as long as you can tolerate it, though it might be hard to put on at first." I pulled over my bag and got out the Bellefit. She smiled and nodded. "I got this after a lot of research and found exercises to help close my diastasis recti as well."

"Go ahead and wear that but no exercises until your 6 week postpartum check. Well nothing too strenuous like those could be. I'll check on you before you're cleared to leave the hospital. We'll want to double check that your bleeding is normal before you leave. Turns out part of the placenta got stuck which is why we took you away last night.." I nodded, now sure of why I had been taken last night.

Shortly after they both left I went and took a shower, putting on the girdle afterward. When I got back put Max was back with our gifts. "Hey lady. I left the stockings at home but brought everything else I could find."

Gran smiled. "I'm sure everything will be fine Max. It gives us something to look forward to when we're all home too." She handed Max a box. He opened it and found a certificate for furniture. He looked confused until Gran spoke again. "I thought you could use a new couch but wanted you to pick it out." He grinned at her.

She then handed me a box. Opening it I found a car key, a Lexus car key. "Gran, this..."

She cut me off carefully. "Is the car you need for when Max is gone. He won't have to wake you when he comes home later. You won't have to take the kids out when you all should be sleeping." I took a look at the paper beneath the key. The sneaky woman had me design my own Christmas gift!

The next box was from Angela, Chris and Kevin. There was a note inside:

To my loving sister and brother in law:
I have friends you have twins and they swear by these. After doing some research I found these are the best of these products made. I've started my own therapy and am delving into why I have always been nasty to you, I hope to not be someday in the future. I also hope we can have a better relationship. I know how Chris and Kevin love you and envy that.
Merry Christmas,
Ang

I legitimately began crying as I finished the note. There _was_ hope for my family. I pulled out the first item. It was the Twin Z pillow. I had almost gotten this myself, but must have forgotten to do so. It showed that my sister was trying due to it having a navy cover on it. Max pulled out the next item, the Table for Two. This let us have the kids in a semi-upright position after feedings. It too had a note too.

Jass and Max:
Ang said this was something good for twins, but she didn't say that the inner pads were so awful. Kev and I fixed that, 2 each purple and green.
Chris.

Max smiled. "I think we should let them stay at the house, Gran too." He winked at Gran who chuckled. "Of course they'll have to be willing to put up with crying infants."

My cell phone rang then. I picked it up and found myself being questioned. "Where are you guys? Why are you not at home?" I laughed.

"We're kind of busy Marc, babies do that." If Marc-Andre didn't get it I'd be more direct. He scoffed at me so I continued. "Especially when they decide for their arrival to rival that of the birthday boy." I heard a gasp and knew Marc had lost control of the phone.

"You had les bébés? Who has joined us? Give me details woman." Ah I loved Vero...

"I'll give you more details in February, but for now I'll give you the basics." I gave her the height, weight and order of the twins. "Oh Vero, Jaxson and Danique are beautiful. We need to get some pictures so we can send them to everyone." I saw Max arranging them for a good shot and take a couple pictures. I heard him then begin texting people we knew. I knew when Vero and Marc got it as she squeaked. "Ils sont adorables! Je ne peux pas attendre de les gâter. (They are adorable! I can not wait to spoil them.)" They let us go as Max's phone began blowing up.

After lunch we got our first real visitors, Gabe and Mel. After hugs all around Mel got seated with Danique in her arms. Gabe then noticed the packages on the floor. "We're interrupting your Christmas." He sounded upset.

"Landy you guys are fine. In fact." Max picked up his gift for me. "It's perfect you're here. Here love, open this." I started opening the box, finding 2 plaques and something I didn't recognize. I read the first plaque and smiled, it was how Max often told me how beautiful I was. The second was labeled Talbot Family Rules and had only positive things written on it, it made me tear up.

I then pulled out what I didn't recognize and got surprised by a lap tray and a throw blanket. I found a smaller box underneath those that looked like a jewelry box. Opening that I found a Navy coin purse with a sheet of paper behind it with writing on it. "Open the coin purse." Max said in happy tones. I did and found an Avalanche keychain and a single key. Looking at the paper for an explanation I found another one.

My beloved,
Merry Christmas, this is the gift for the whole family. Our new home, the one you showed me. I know that it needs work and those are gifts from the Board of Trustees and your dad. You have even already picked the flooring and appliances for it thanks to your wonderful and sneaky Gran.
Don't kill me,
Max

I looked up into his hopeful eyes. "You bought us a home." He nodded and I wiped my eyes. "You got us a home I loved even though it needs work." He shrugged while smiling, then held out a set of plans. They were for the redesign. I gasped as I looked it over, noticing that everything I had wanted to change had been.

Mel came over after handing our daughter off to Gabe. "Oh Jass it's gonna be great. I can't wait to see it in person." We grinned at each other. Seeing that Mel had been one of the ones to show _me_ the house, it was very fitting that she were here.

Gran, however, chuckled. "You'll have to, at least until March. The house won't be ready for occupation until probably the 25th of February. Just in time for you all to get home from Montreal."

Mel and Gabe left shortly after as did Gran. She insisted that we have a proper Christmas dinner and went home to make sure we had one. Of course this left Max and I alone with our children. We took the time to figure out how to tandem feed. After they were fed and changed they fell asleep again. I then cuddled with Max on the couch. "We have 3 gifts left." I said as I noticed them.

He chuckled and moved to get them. They were from Dani and Moni and the one for Max from me. "Here, you open this and then we'll open these together." He smiled. Opening the box he laughed. I had also gotten him 2 plaques. One about how I knew he was raised and the other about what had actually attracted me to him. The second item was something I knew now he'd enjoy, Dad's Playbook, wisdom for fathers from some of the greatest coaches of all time. Below that was an RFID protecting organizer for his valuables when he was on the road, it was even large enough for his passport. The final item I had gotten him was similar to my lap tray but it was a travel version. "Looks like we were thinking similarly."

"Seems like it, let's see what delights Danielle and Monique sent us." We opened them together and found that it was a coordinated gift. A round bamboo folding table in a carrier, a folding picnic basket, 2 baskets with the kids' names on them and enough dinnerware for years to come. There were even 2 waterproof blankets to go under everything. I chuckled. "They don't give things they don't want but wouldn't get for themselves. I think I know what part of our bridal party gifts will be." Christmas sure wouldn't be forgetable now. The kids had made sure of that.

Max had to go with the team late on the 26th on a roadie, this left Gran and I dealing with the kids. Stacey had come in with an apology that she hadn't made it and given both of us some really good tips on boosting production. Today was the 28th and I was currently being checked by Dr. Gray. "Jass you look good. I'm very happy you didn't tear, that makes your life easier. Have you done everything you needed to do before you can check out?"

I nodded, not self concious at all about what she was asking. "Oh yes, I was dreading it but I didn't have half the issues I thought I might. And I've noticed that my breasts are more tender than they were even just yesterday." I showed her what I meant and she smiled.

She gingerly touched. "This is a good sign. It's not yet a full engorgement but it's a start. On Monday call and make your post partum check. If I remember you'll be leaving shortly after for a family trip." She was checking.

I nodded, flushing. "We'll go see Max's family. Mine will be joining us too. We're getting married and these two baptised on Valentine's Day." I had gotten off the phone with Sofia just minutes before Dr. Gray came in, we had been making plans for the family celebration on Max's birthday. I'd also found out that the plans for the actual ceremony had been nearly completed. We would be decorating the living room as part of his birthday celebration.

Dr. Gray congratulated me. "You should have no problems with flying yourself. Am I guessing right that you're going to be wearing the Bellefit still then."

"Oh yeah, in fact the gentleman I got my dress through is coming the week before we leave to do the final fitting. This way it fits perfectly or maybe even just a tad loose." I pulled up the picture I had of me in the dress. "It just flows around me and draws the eye away from my tummy."

Soon after Dr. Gray left, Dr. B came in for his final check of the kids before we went home. I had made an appointment for the 2nd for their 1 week checkup. He asked if I had noticed any differences between them already, which made me laugh. "I'll be surprised if Danique doesn't potty train early, she hates to be wet or dirty. Makes a huge fuss about it. Jaxson is more laid back about everything it seems, except food. Then you have his full attention, sleepy attention but still he does his best." Checking them over and pronouncing them perfect, Dr. B signed off on us going home. Now all we had to do was get the paperwork.

I dressed in the outfit I'd chosen, my grecian tunic and leggings, and started packing everything we hadn't taken home already, like the Christmas gifts and Max's stuff. That's when Annie came in and offered to help. "I got it, I have to get used to doing this on my own."

She'd been great, answered every question I had, no matter how stupid it seemed to me. "Ok, thought I'd check. Oh and you might as well take everything for the twins, I'll have to throw it away otherwise." She went and got me a bag for all the extras the hospital had given us to care for the kids. "No sense in not having these things. At least then you have it and aren't having to run out for something."

Soon enough Max came to get us. It was game day so I was surprised to see Max, but not unhappily so. The kids were carried by the nursing staff as was policy while I was wheeled out, also policy. I was not ready for the vehicle we were getting into though. It seems my Lexus had been picked up. There were already child seat bases in the back too, which were checked before the kids's seats went into them. Then Max helped me into the front seat. "I won't make you drive today but you might want to in the next day or so. If only to get your car set for you." I enjoyed the ride home, the kids sleeping in the back.

After we got home, the days seem to blur together quickly. Next thing I knew I and Gran were driving to Dr. B's office for the kids 1 week appointment. We got checked in and waited for their names to be called, of course we got plenty of attention in between. When we got into the small room we met Julia, Dr. B's nurse. She efficently stripped the kids to diapers and weighed them. Jaxson had gained 10 ounces over his birth weight and was now 6 pounds and 15 ounces, 1 shy of 7 pounds. Danique was over 7 pounds by 2 ounces. She hadn't gained as much as he had but Dr. B didn't seemed worried about it. We chatted about how they were with diapers and feedings. I had noticed that I was at the same level of engorgement as I was in the hospital which concerned him. I ended up making an appointment schedule for every 3 days for the next couple weeks.

We got home to a houseful of hockey players. The Flyers were in town for the game tomorrow night. Claude was by the door when we came in so he got the first hug. "Ry sent something for you guys with me." He said as I moved into the living room to divest myself of the kids and my outerwear.

Max came over and began taking the kids out of their carseats. "Ok who wants my little girl?" Hartsy stepped up with his hands out.

"She better come to me, I promise I won't fall with her." Everyone laughed, Scott's falling down on the ice was reaching legendary status. He even had his own hastag on Twitter, #HartnellDown. Max had no issues with depositing her in his arms as he sank into the couch. In seconds Danique had him firmly wrapped around her tiny fingers. "Who's the most beautiful little girl in this house?" He cooed at her as she slept on.

Claude traded a package for Jaxson and sat down as well. "I hope you guys like what Ry sent. These two will look very adorable in them." I watched, feeling my eyes go soft as Jax snuffled in his sleep, curling into Claude's chest. Max opened the gift and laughed, getting harsh eyes from both Scott and Claude.

I peered into the box and chuckled. "Tell her they're perfect. They have their infant photoshoot tomorrow, these will be a great addition." I saw Claude preen as I told him that his girl had chosen well.

The other guys soon all took turns holding both kids. You could tell who had kids and who didn't by how they held them. By the time the kids were waking, and hungry, every member of the 8 guys who came over were fully wrapped up by them. They had cooed at Jax and Dani, filmed for blackmail purposes without their knowledge. There may or may not have been sharing of these videos with their respective ladies...

I didn't watch the game, I was too busy getting ready for Gran to leave. She'd spent all the time she could with us and had to go home on the last flight for Philly from here. I tried to go into the building with her but she fixed me a look. "Jassmine Faye, you go home and you taken care of those babies in the backseat." She hugged me tight. "I'm only ever a phone call away love. I know you're still overwhelemed but you will get the hang of everything and find your system."

I kept back bursting into tears, she'd been there when I had been so flustered and had calmly taken over for a brief time so I could pull myself together. "Does it get easier Gran?"

She laid a hand on my cheek. "Of course it does, you'll get sleep again. I _know_ you can do this Jassmine. If you can handle the teens you have handled in the past, two infants won't get the better of you. Listen to them and yourself. Don't be afraid to calll the doctor if you think something is wrong. Don't let Max shirk his responsibilities, not that I think he will. Don't forget to get out of the house, even if it's just for a walk around a mall. When people come over, let them help you." She'd been helping me figure out how best to get the help I did need from the support system I had. We set up a chore chart of things that others could do that would truly help. Kristen had taken great delight in it and had told all of the girls about it within minutes of her getting in the door.

"I'm scared Gran, what if I screw them up forever?" I said in a small voice.

She just msiled. "That's how I know you won't. Trust yourself, Max and the professionals in your lives. I know you and he have set a good system for bedtime when he is home, and you can't imagine how proud I am of you for thinking of that. You found a way that he can bond with them in a way you aren't." She got out and grabbed her bag, it seemed that the two bags she came with were mostly things for the kids in one of them. They were now nested as one. "Your freezer is stocked as is the fridge for the next few days. You are already a great mom and I and your father are _very_ proud of you." We hugged and kissed and soon enough I was putting Jax and Nikki, as we'd taken to calling her, into the co-sleeper we had along with myself in bed. Sleep when the kids are sleeping, I was trying to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Diastasis recti (also known as abdominal separation) defined as a separation of the rectus abdominis muscle into right and left halves.

Les bébés (the babies)

To see the gifts from everyone you can check them out here .

If you DO go look at the Pinterest page you will find 2 houses on there. The green one is the one in Montreal and the other is the one in Colorado that they will be remodelling.