Max Talbot, Family Man?

Chapter 9

*Jan. 31, 2014* *Jass' POV*

Here I was waiting to see Doctor Gray, it was a few day early of 6 weeks not that I cared. I had gotten called into the GMs office on the 20th after practice. It was there I got told that Max had asked about the possibility of myself and the kids flying out on the team charter. I was floored, even more so when he said we would be allowed to. I hadn't even thought of asking. He said that they wanted Max not to worry about us so that meant I was busy for a few hours rescheduling appointments and refunding tickets. We would all be flying out after the game tomorrow night.

I was called back and was then rocking Nikki while waiting. Dr. Gray came in and smiled. "Well don't you look just the picture of bliss." She looked at Jaxson in my arms and then Danique. "They look great Jassmine. Will they complain if I check you?"

I laughed. "They just got done eating before we came back, they aren't going to care at all." I moved both car seats and put Jax down in his. "Nikki is just a bit fussier and likes to rock after eating." We got down to brass tacks. I was laid back and Dr. Gray began by feeling my abdomen.

"So overall how have the last 6 weeks been?" She pushed firmly making me groan a bit.

"Um... It's definitely had ups and downs. Did Dr. Kirk let your office know what happened a few weeks ago?" Dr. Gray paused and looked at me. "For everyone's safety I was told to stop breast feeding. The kids weren't gaining enough weight and I felt like a cow not a new mom." I took a deep breath to stop myself from tearing up. "The good thing is that we found a formula they love and are now where they should be. In fact we go see him after lunch to be sure they are doing great."

She smiled at me. "I did get a message that you couldn't feed them anymore. I'm very happy to hear that things are looking up from that dark time. Mentally how are you doing with this?"

I laughed with a watery tone. "Um... Some days are better than others. It hurt a lot to be told that but Stacey, Dr. Kirk's lactation consultant, has helped a lot by finding more information on my actual condition. Doing some digging on my own as well I found out that Dr. Sykes took more than he should have when reducing my size all those years ago. Stacey has helped me come to terms that formula feeding is best for not only the kids but me as well." I sighed and continued. "Max, god he was wonderful after I told him. One of the guys was over and after they fed the kids Max sent me to take a nap, during which he arranged a party celebrating us being healthy and doing what we had to. Since the girls found out they have done so much to make me feel like I'm an awesome mom for doing what I needed to."

Dr. Gray sat down and looked at me. "You _are_ an awesome mom. You knew that you could have trouble and you still worked to do your best for them. Don't feel like a horrible person for something that was out of your control." She has placed a hand over mine and looked at me frankly. "Besides all of that how are you doing?"

I sighed happily. "I have the support of all of the girls here, if I need some adult time they are only ever a phone call away. My family had finally begun to make progress as well giving me hope that we will be a happy one finally. We have about a month before we move into our new house and those renovations are going really well. Other than not being able to breastfeed anymore life is wonderful. Our wedding and the twins baptism is 2 weeks away, which is why we're flying out. Max has a few more games before the Olympic break and I will be with my family in Philadelphia. After his last game we will meet in Montreal for our 2 weeks there." I was excited for these last two weeks. Yeah I had a lot to finish up but it would all be worth it.

She smiled. "It sounds like a good time for you to be feeling better. Your uterus feels like it's almost back to normal which is good. Let me look at your breasts and then we'll do the uncomfortable part of this exam." She took a look and nodded. "For all your troubles, they look great any tenderness while I'm doing this?" I shook my head no and she moved on. "While you're here let's check that gap." She walked me through finding the gap in my abdominal muscles. "Oh this is good. It's down to the size where you can start those exercises to close it completely."

She moved down to end of the table and had my put my feet in the supports. "Looks good so far. You didn't tear which is rare now days and everything looks healthy." She picked up the speculum. "Here we go. I was checking your chart and you need a pap, do you mind if I do that now?"

I felt her get the speculum into place, god that thing is uncomfortable. "No, we might as well do it and get it over with." I was trying not to grimace as she did the pap.

Dr. Gray then checked my cervix and the walls of my vagina. "You've been doing your Kegels. There's actual tone down here." She sounded impressed. "Have you been doing other exercises?"

"Mostly just things that are helping me carry these two. Nothing strenuous. The one time I had my lochia redden I stopped for a few days. Then I eased back into lighter things. I do baby curls. Hold them carefully in 1 arm and do a curl. Normally I'm on the bed when I do those for safety. Since the girls have invaded our home we get out and walk a mall every day. I don't even get to push the stroller."

Dr. G finished her exam and let me pull my clothes back on. "Well it sounds like you have a good routine then. If you want to slowly add weights you can. I would also suggest a post Baby workout in a more formal setting too. Maybe with someone else watching them so you can focus."

I laughed. "Are you kidding me? I won't need that. At least not right now. I have Kristen, Elsa, Mel and Ash all want me to be able to workout with them. Kristen has several kids and she's willing to have us over to do mommy and me yoga and such. She's got some DVDs for post partum." In fact Kristen was willing to let me borrow them while we were gone so I could do everything with them when we get back.

"It sounds like that would be social and exercise. Go ahead and start if you feel up to it. You've healed better than most of my new moms do. That's only partly due to the Bellefit too." I grinned, I liked the Bellefit... a lot.

"I love the Bellefit. It helps support me when I'm carrying them by myself which forces me to stand and sit up straighter. Which is better for me. So the fact that it makes me sweat a little bit and has helped fit me back into a good portion of my pre-pregnancy wardrobe are things I can just enjoy when they happen. Not everything but what I can't fit I will donate to a good cause." I was sitting on the end on the table rocking Nikki a little bit.

While writing some notes in my chart she continued. "It sounds like you've got a very good support system now. I'm happy to hear that. Your health overall is excellent, everything is either healed or well on its way. I see no reason why you can't resume all normal activity, including sexual activity if you feel up to it. You might lubricant to ease any dryness."

I sighed heavily in relief. "Thank god. These last couple weeks have been killing us. These two are already sleeping for several hours when its bed time and while everyone has said that having no sexual appetite is normal I've found that it's not true for me."

A chuckle escaped Dr. Gray. "I guess this means we should discuss birth control. Your chart from Dr. Sykes says you were on the pill but knowing that you're going to be traveling soon I would suggest a different method, namely the Depo shot." I must have made a happy face as she laughed. "It looks like you like that idea. I'll have Ella get that ready. It takes a little bit for it to fully kick in so I would suggest an additional method for short term use along with this." She stuck her head out and let Ella know.

Once she had closed the door I grinned evilly. "So how long does it take for it to be fully effective?" I got handed the handout and read it. "Oh goody. Over 99% effective and kicks in within 1 week after the first shot. Looks like I have a little shopping to do this afternoon." I then remembered I needed to call Vanessa too.

After getting the Depo shot and making an appointment for mid-April for my next shot I wheeled the stroller out to the car and got us all in. I used my hands free and called Vanessa. "Hey girl. Remember that promise I made to take you to a classy sex shop?"

I heard her pause. "Uh... Yeah. Why are you asking?" I knew she was wary of what I was saying.

"What do you think of me picking you up, all of us having lunch with the boys and then dumping the kids on them?" I got onto 25 heading towards home.

"Why would we dump the kids on them?" Her confusion was adorable.

I chuckled as I merged into the lane. "Because they are too young to go into Romantix, but I know you'll enjoy it." Before she could say no I continued. "It's classy and quite frankly one of the best shops I've ever been in. We just have to find out what Nate's favorite flavor is."

She squealed. "You were serious! Come get me, Nate would love a chance to spend time with the kids and Max." In no time the 4 of us pulled up outside the practice facility. "Thank you for offering to help. I have no idea where to start."

We each pulled a kid out of the car and set them into the stroller. As we went in I laughed. "Hey I've been a bit busy but I got a clean bill of health today so it's a good time for me to go and remind myself of what I like. We'll start slow with you. Find something that will you will feel comfy with. We can embarrass Nate over lunch." Vanessa flushed. "Don't tell me he doesn't know." She shook her head. I stopped in the hall that I waddled down all those weeks ago. "Then we won't tell him."

We went into the waiting room and pounded on the connecting door. It was how the girls let the guys know someone was here. Of course we got no answer yet but it didn't matter to me. I pulled out the Tuffo blanket and took the kids out for some time not in the car seats. We played with Jax and Nikki for about 45 minutes until Gigs poked his head in. "Ah! They were right we do have lovely company! Hey Mac, Talbo the ladies are here with two bundles of joy!"

Max came in with a grin and a tickle for the kids. "Hello my beautiful family! Let me clean up and we can go for lunch." Nate looked in and I saw Vanessa blow him a kiss. I kissed Max and he be-bopped back into the room. We all went back to our apartment and let the kids nap while we ate.

*Max's POV*

I couldn't believe that Jass had brought Vanessa with her until she said that they had some shopping to do. Nate offered to go with them but Jass nixed that quickly with a smooth line about needing a woman's opinion. They left and I invited him to stay and help me. "Don't worry about what they're doing Nate. I'm sure it's something innocent. Besides Jass works so hard caring for those angels the least I can do is give her an afternoon off occasionally."

That led the two of us to cleaning the house and doing the few chores that needed to be done. I also packed for our week long roadie before the break, well by packed I mean I looked through everything and set things aside. I looked for my navy suit but I couldn't find it. That led me to look in our guest room and laughing. It was a packing zone!

"What's so... Whoa! What's going on in here?" Nate came in and looked shocked. I went around the room and found various lists. Then I knew.

"It's Jass making sure we don't forget something we need. Looks like she's got most of it already either shipped safely or ready to go with her. Oh wow she even has packing lists to the kids." I showed him the comprehensive lists for packing the kids' diaper bags.

"Wow she's taking a lot for them." Just then the doorbell rang. It was Gigs. "Man you should see the packing lists Jassmine has. She's gone crazy!"

J.S. came in and just laughed. "Nathan this isn't bad at all. You should see Kristen when we're getting ready to leave for the summer. She makes lists starting as soon as the playoffs start. Mind you we can not leave until school is out. This is a first plane ride for your kids yes?" I nodded. He then picked up the lists for their clothes and diaper bags. "This looks really good. Is she taking a bag for each? Looks like it from this. That's a really good idea. How do you guys tell which bag is for which?"

I went out and grabbed the big bag. "We have this one for when we take them both out. If you look at these pacifier pods, you can easily tell how we know which bag is for whom." I showed them the different prints. "Danique uses the black cherry twirl and Jaxson uses the licorice twirl. When we were looking we figured that by using 2 bags sometimes we could easily divide and conquer if need be."

J.S. nodded. "That is very smart. Tell mama she won't have to worry. She has everything covered and lots of papas and uncles to help. You said that you have a check up for them this afternoon, bring up the first flight and how to comfort them if need be. However, I would bet your lady already knows." Just then the baby monitor flared to life.

I made bottles while Gigs took Nate upstairs to show him how to change an infant's diaper. I heard my son babbling while Gigs explained the joys of changing boys. He must have done it as I heard not long after the wail of my daughter who hated being in a wet diaper as much as she hated being naked and not wet. There was a girl who loved a baths even this young. Nate shouted as she surprised him. "Holy!"

Soon enough they were coming down with lip smacking, fist chewing kids. We buckled them into the Table for Two and I sat and fed them. "Gigs, you have any tips for the flight?" Yeah I was kind of nervous.

He chuckled. "Yes, feed them on takeoff and landing and ask of help if you need it. Although I suspect you won't. Kristen says Jass is great at handling and anticipating their needs." That was high praise.

Soon the girls came laughing back in. "Thank you so much for helping me Jassmine. I didn't feel at all self conscious like I thought I would." Vanessa was carrying a bag from Romantix, that explained why Nate wasn't allowed to go.

The rest of them left shortly after as Gigs had to pick up his boys from school. That left the 4 of us slowly getting ready for their appointment. "So, how'd she do?"

Jass smiled slyly. "She did well. Actually asked about a few things she was curious about. I expect Nate will be surprised but delighted."

I buckled Jaxson into the car seat. "We found your packing zone. Gigs said you had a good plan going." She did the same for Danique.

"With everything that needs to be there I had to have a spot for everything so I wouldn't forget something on accident. The good news is that my new luggage will fit everything and nest together until Philly where the smaller one will be put to use with wedding outfits only." We picked the kids up and headed out to my car. We continued to talk about all the preparations we still had to do.

Once at Dr. Kirk's office I decided that it was time to talk about the flight. "Are you as nervous as I am about taking these two on the charter?"

She leaned into me and sighed. "Not as nervous as I was about taking them alone on a commercial flight. I have scoured websites and asked everyone I could think of for tips and tricks. Well you saw the lists. I know it's a direct flight and they will probably sleep through it but I want to be ready just in case." We were called back and then had to do the usual routine.

When Dr. Kirk came in he was all smiles. "How's my favorite new family?" We chuckled. "Reading these notes I see this is a check to be ready for their first airplane flights and an early 2 month check up." Jassmine giggled as she nodded. "World travelers at such young ages. You have their passports and birth certificates to go with you right?"

I laughed. "She's got lists of things she's packing. Thank god we will be staying either with family or at our own home as it means we don't have to over pack." She elbowed me. "What? I'm just saying we won't have to take several weeks worth of clothing as we can wash stuff as we need to. Not to mention I'm sure our families will have things they just has to get the kids."

Dr. Kirk chuckled. "That always helps. What about formula? You don't want to change if you don't have to. It can really throw them off." He began undressing Nikki.

Jassmine grinned. "I wrote email to the Nestle Corporation and asked about formula differences between U.S. and Canadian brands. After a couple weeks of back and forth I found out that the formula we are using is just under a different packaging in Canada. They even sent us a whole bunch of samples and coupons for both locations. I gave them both bottles of the Canadian brand for lunch yesterday and I didn't see a change at all."

"Wonderful." He checked Nikki's hips and genitals while she worked up a fuss. "After all the issues we've worked through for these two so far, that was a smart idea. I really love how their weights have rebounded too. Jaxson is 10 pounds 1 ounce and 22 and a half inches and Danique is 9 pounds 8 ounces and 22 1/4 inches now at almost 6 weeks." He redid her diaper and handed her to me to redress.

He checked Jax the same way while we chatted about how they were eating and sleeping habits. "In the last couple days they have started to go past 3 hours between feedings overnight. Last night is was 4.5 hours. We put them to bed after the 11pm feed and neither woke until 3:30 and then again they slept until 8." Jass had actually woken in a good mood the last couple days because of the extra sleep.

"How did it feel to get over 4 hours at a shot?" She beamed. "It's about the right time for them to be sleeping for longer during the night. How is the daytime schedule doing?"

I wish I knew what the schedule was now, but I didn't really. That was the downside of me being gone so much. Fortunately the woman I loved, and would do anything for, did know. "It's going well. They get up at 8 to eat and then while we listen to music they relax a little and then we do some tummy time while I check my email on the floor next to them. Then it's close to nap so we go upstairs and read a book while they get drowsy. I turn on the ocean softly and let them drift off. That gives me an hour or so where I can set up the rest of the day's bottles and get a shower. Rinse and repeat every 3 or so hours with various activities to help them stay awake. Once last Friday it was even get bundled up and walk to the mailbox. Nikki liked that more than Jax did. After the 8pm feeding I give them baths, well I call them baths but sometimes it's just a warm washcloth and then massage them. We do a final tummy session propped up so we can see a bit more. I try and have the lights turned down low so they get that it's time to slow down. I get bottles ready for overnight and the morning now while they are propped up. Then we sing some soft songs and sway while the 11pm bottles are made up, a bit on the warm side as opposed to the rest of the day. Then it's tucked into bed again with the soft ocean and we all go to sleep." I was amazed.

Dr. Kirk nodded. "It sounds like you have a good system going. I hope when dad is home he helps, I know he's gone a lot."

I fumbled for words. "I try. Sometimes she needs to get an hour away and I can do that. I run any errands she needs me to. I change diapers and feed them. I miss so much even though we try and at least talk daily if I'm gone." I felt like a horrible father.

Dr. Kirk smiled and nodded. "You sound overwhelmed still but dads are more so than moms. You'll find a good middle ground soon enough. So far these two look and sound healthy. Unfortunately this means it's time to upset them." He handed us a stack of paper, oh yay shots. All of the papers had info on these shots and what to look for if they have reactions. "I hope that you will be taking our phone number with you when you travel. I know you will spend summers in Montreal so now might be a good time to find a pediatrician there too. If you do let the office know and we will start communications with them. Safe trip and I will see you in 2 months." He left and the kids got their shots from the nurses. Oh boy they both hated them.

On the way home Jass pulled out a magic box. It turned out to be an on the go sound machine. She had it play a lullaby and before we had pulled onto the highway the kids had calmed down. We decided that now, while we were out and about would be a good time to check on the house. We both wanted it done and worked hard not to drop by all the time. The project was getting a delivery when we pulled up. Jack was outside taking stock of what was coming in. "Good timing, your cabinets are arriving today. The subfloor in the kitchen is going down and the architect said you gave final approval to the kitchen design. Upstairs is just about done. The painters come next week to finish the rooms with the colors you wanted. Then we'll be doing the kitchen only from there."

That thrilled me. "It sounds like everything is on track so we won't stay and pull you off. Just wanted to stop by before we leave town late tomorrow afternoon." We soon left, making sure he had both cell numbers while we were gone.

By the time we got back to the apartment the kids were hungry again. I waved Jass off to go do something she wanted while I cared for them. I heard the shower start while we were having some daddy time.

*Jass' POV*

I took a second shower quickly so I had time to text Kristen. She came back with 4 emojis which told me that my plan for this evening was a go and she'd be here at about 8 pm. I then laid out something for Max to wear. I had scrubbed and lotioned every inch of my skin. I also made sure there was no question what was on my mind by laying out the pillowcase set to yes. When everything was laid out to perfection I wrapped myself in my favorite satin robe. I hadn't been able to fit in it since summer so when I cinched it and it fit, I was thrilled.

I went downstairs to find that there were two kids staring at their daddy making silly faces. "Booga booga." I didn't call attention to myself but instead got our side dishes ready for dinner. When I told Kristen what my plan was she insisted on giving us an entree we didn't normally have, it also gave her a chance to have a nice dinner too. Once the potatoes were going I set about making the green bean bundles.

Before long I was being spied upon by three people. "Look how pretty maman looks. See what she's doing, making something for her and papa to eat." Max brought the kids up close. "I don't see anything but veggies maman, is that all we are having?"

I coyly looked over my shoulder. "Non, papa but we were so busy today that I asked for some help making something special. We're having a late dinner when these two eat next." I watched as Max's eyes darkened and got that sultry look in them. "In fact why don't you go lay out things for their baths to save us some time." I knew he would see what I had laid out when I said that, we usually gave the kids their baths in our bathroom.

At 7:45 the doorbell rang. Max still had the kids upstairs so I answered it. Good thing too. "Hey girl. Vanessa said you took her to Romantix this afternoon." I nodded. Kristen sighed. "Oh good, she seemed pretty happy with what you found. Everyone at home says thanks for the awesome meal. Just warm this with the green beans and enjoy." She had brought the best smelling prime rib I'd ever smelled.

Max had obviously heard the bell as he came down babies in tow. "Hi Kristen. You're our dinner fairy, I should have known." She curtsied slightly with an impish grin.

"I couldn't resist when she asked. Especially not after she took Vanessa with her and went to lunch with you guys. I'm hoping she's comfortable with what was gotten."

I stopped her there with a hand on her arm. "I helped her find a good starting place. She's not at all uncomfortable with what was chosen. I'm willing to bet Nate will be very happy. I'm even willing to say the Sabres won't know what hit them tomorrow." She chuckled and said goodnight.

Max set the table while I finished dinner. As usual he had set the kids on their twin z pillow. He sidled up and wrapped himself around me. "A special dinner, all those not so subtle hints upstairs. Does someone have plans?" He began kissing my neck sending shivers down my spine.

With shaking hands I finished getting things nearly ready. "Someone had her check up this morning and got cleared for all kinds of activity." I let out a breathy moan as he hit the spot that always made my knees weak.

He lifted his head and laid a single kiss on where he had been playing. "So you thought before we got separated for the last week before break that you'd surprise me. I like this plan." Of course that's when one of the kids started to cry. Gone were thoughts of sexy times as Max whirled.

He dealt with the kids while I finished getting our dinner ready. It turned out they were hungry too. Having had this happen before Max knew what to do. He strapped two chairs together and then strapped the table for two onto them. As he did that I started the bottles and plated dinner. I brought out our plates and as he strapped the kids in, I was there with the bottles. Eating with one hand was a challenge but it was better than having to reheat food.

Soon enough it was time for burping. This was a trick at the best of times. I pulled Jaxson out of his side and laid him over my lap. He burped best laying down. I had a cloth under him to protect myself. Turns out I wasn't the one who needed it. Max had burped Danique and she had erped all over his shoulder. He grimaced and took her upstairs. I cleaned the floor and then joined them with Jaxson.

He had pretty much no water in the tub but both blooming bath mats were in there. He was sitting with Nikki's mat close to him and Jax's where I could get to it. All of our supplies were ready too, even clean PJs and warm towels on the towel warmer. We took as much time as they would let us in bathing them. Normally as long as they were both kept warm things were ok.

Once we were done I wrapped each of them in a warm towel and bundled them into our room so Max could wash off a bit more thoroughly. It didn't take long and we were playing the massage DVD. I was used to doing this nightly but Max didn't have my experience. We started slowly so Max could keep up. Both of the kids loved this hands on time. When I was alone I took turns massaging both of them so they learned how to share. "Look at her kick." He said as he worked on Nikki.

I looked over and smiled. "She wants you to do her legs. Like this." I demonstrated on Jaxson. He cooed and smiled. I gasped. "Oh! His first smile!" Max leaned on my shoulder grinning at our son.

"Let's see if this angel will give me one." He gently massaged Danique's legs from hips to toes. On the second pass she sighed and gave a gummy smile. "Il ya le sourire de ma princesse. Est-ce un sourire pour papa? Oui, ça l'est. (There is the smile of my princess. Is that a smile for Papa? Yes it is.)" His face radiated joy as he looked at me. First smiles were a milestone we had been waiting for and he hadn't missed it.

We swapped kids and continued our massages. This gave us both a chance to get smiles and give them one on one time. Soon enough they were drowsy so we took them into their room. Max settled into the chair, pulled out the book 'On the night you were born' and proceeded to read it to the kids while they were tucked into the crooks of his arms. Soon enough they were tucked together in the crib and drifting towards sleep.

Hand in hand we walked to our room. Once there we closed the door and I got pulled into Max's arms. "I do believe someone made promises." I entwined my hands behind his head and pulled him into a kiss. That got us both with the evenings program quickly.

We figured out that I would need some extra lubrication and that we couldn't wait for the Depo shot to kick in. It turned out that Max had plans as well but was unsure of when things could get going again. He had gotten me some lingerie that concealed more than it showed. "Queen of my heart, how I have missed you." I knew what he truly meant, we hadn't done more than actual sleeping since just before the kids were born.

"King of my soul, I have been and will always be yours." I found myself laid on the bed and then moved onto the wedge and ramp. I don't think I had _ever_ orgasmed as hard as I did tonight. Once we had come down from the high I kissed him. "Je T'aime plus que la lune et les étoiles. (I love you more than the moon and stars.)"

We moved to be more comfortable and he whispered his response. "Dites le mot et je vais les tirer vers le bas pour vous. (Say the word and I'll shoot them down for you.)" It was our way of making sure we were in the right place afterwards. It was even more important tonight. As we lay cuddled together Max spoke again. "Two weeks and we'll be married."

I sighed happily. "I know, I'm excited and praying everything will go well." I snuggled closer.

He kissed me tenderly. "We will make everything perfect. I'm sure of it." We drifted to sleep in each other arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah the joys of 6 week check ups and baby milestones...

Anyway I'm thrilled to have this chapter done so I can now write about the week before Break. As usual I love hearing what you guys think.

Enjoy!

Edit: Damn you Mibba let me post emojis in my fics!