Status: Being Remade

You're Like Silence At The Midnight Hour

I'm Sorry

"Well," Alex started, not really knowing what to say. He could have sworn he had all of this planned out earlier. "How did you become a Muse? How does anyone become a Muse as a matter of fact?"

Dawn shifted in her seat, wanting to get a little more comfortable. "It's not difficult, the process anyway. Becoming a Muse is the actual hard part. You have these men and women, who have the title of 'Fate', who have connections to all the good people in this world. Not good, like, you got your mom the present she wanted for Christmas, just an all-around good person.

"When they are notified of one of these people's death, then they bring their spirits towards a limbo like place, where the Fates inform them on the job that they need to fulfill. If they think it is too much for them to handle, then their spirit continues on."

"Where does your spirit go?"

Dawn smiled coyly, giving her Charge a look. "That information is classified."

Alex laughed lightly at her answer and shrugged his shoulders. "You can't blame me for trying. So, all Muses had a life before the one they live now?"

The girl nodded her head, making her black hair bounce. She didn't have to wait to know what question the teen had next, but she waited politely for him to speak.

"What was your life like; your real life?"

"Well, I never considered myself all that special as I was growing up, maybe a little different. I was growing up in a time when if you weren't white, you weren't welcome. I never understood that rule, just because someone was a little darker than me didn't mean that they didn't know how to play the games that I did. We were all friends.

When I started growing up, the hate for my friends still made no sense, and I always joined the rallies that they had, protesting for their rights. One day… the riot just got a little out of hand and the cops got frustrated. There was tear gas, hoses, dogs, and then there were bullets. There was only one person that died in the riot that day, and it was me."

Alex sat there with his mouth open just a little bit at the story he had just heard. Dawn, his Muse, had died doing something that had impacted the world so greatly.

"How old were you when you died?"

Dawn smiled slightly, although it wasn't one of happiness. "How old do I look right now?"

"Um, 17?"

"I was 18 when I died in 1968."

He was silent as he stared into the eyes of the girl that sit across from him. And she really was just a girl. It didn't matter if she had been dead for decades. Dawn had died before she had even reached for her prime, unselfishly trying to help the people closer to her.

"Do you miss it?"

Alex didn't have to explain any further on what he meant, because the girl already knew. She nodded her head again, slower this time, and thought about her life. "I do miss it, quite a lot sometimes. It broke my heart to know that I would never get to talk to my family again, but I cannot turn back time. I don't even think I would do anything over again even if I had a chance."

The teen felt a sudden sadness in his heart, the same kind of sadness that he was in Dawn's eyes in that moment in time. Without her noticing, Alex has slid off the bed and walked over to the girl. He knelt down before he and locked his blue eyes with hers.

"I'm sorry."

Dawn smiled at Alex, finding it cute how much he cares in that moment. She kissed her first two fingers and placed them on his forehead, silently telling him it's alright.