Status: In Progress!

Boundless

One Step Closer

Kelly's gentle fingers flipped to the next page in the yearbook. "Thanks again for bringing this, Herrmann."

"Sure thing, Severide." Herrmann waved him off and continued talking to Mouch about his kids' latest antics, but Kelly tuned him out. He searched the pages desperately, his finger trialing down the names on the side of the page when his eyes switched pictures. 'Marilyn Lafferty, Douglas Liberty, Charlotte Morgan.'

He smiled so hard he felt as if he were tearing his cheeks. "Charlotte Morgan," he repeated. "Guys, I found her," he called to the men around him. They quickly surrounded the table, almost climbing over each other to get a look at the girl.

"Well what's her name?" Vargas asked simply.

"Charlotte Morgan," he scanned the page further. "Second grade teacher."

Hadley groaned as his head fell into his hands. "Yeah well, there's still a second part to that bet, Severide."

"A second part?" Herrmann questioned. "What's the second part?"

"A kiss," Hadley smirked. "He has less than a month to kiss the girl."

Kelly leaned into his chair, an accomplished feeling washed over him as he felt his co-workers hands patting his back. His finger traced his jawline as he thought of the next step of his plan. He stood to his full height and strode into Boden's office with purpose.

Get ready, Morgan.

Image


Beside her usual parking spot Charlotte spotted Kelly Severide sitting on the hood of his car, his arms crossed over his chest. Before she had the chance to open her door he was on his feet and pulling the door open for her.

"What a gentleman," she laughed. "What're you doing here today, Mr. Severide?"

She leaned back into the car to grab her belongings when she heard his answer. "Just checking up on ya, Charlotte."

Her head snapped up, sending it crashing into the interior of the roof. She hissed and clutched the back of her skull with a gentle hand. "Ouch."

"You okay?" Kelly was on the other side of the car in a matter of seconds, his head also inside. He glanced around the car, a grin on his face. "Wow, your car isn't as clean as I imagined it would be."

"Gee thanks," she mumbled as she rubbed the sore spot on her head. "So you found my name?"

"That's right, Charlotte Morgan."

She felt her face flush and she looked at him through her hair. "Why'd you go through the trouble?"

"You said if I wanted to know you I'd find out." He said simply. "Right?"

Charlotte nodded and smiled. "That's right."

"I want to know more about you, Charlotte."

She wrapped her fingers around the green notebook that held the day's plans. "Well, I guess you'll figure out a way to see me again, won't you?"

"Of course," his eyes crinkled with a smile. He leaned closer to her, his hand moving to the back of her neck. "Give me something to tide me over until then?"

She pulled away quickly, shaking her head. "Don't think so, Severide. That's something you have to earn."

"I haven't earned it?"

With a quick roll of her eyes she chuckled. "No, you earned my name."

He huffed angrily. "Most guys wouldn't have gone through the trouble of it, either. What's with the game you're playing?"

"I'm not playing a game," she shrugged. "Are you?"

"Yes, I am. Some stupid guessing game?"

She felt more empowered that she liked. "You never guessed my name. How did you find out?"

"Yearbook."

Her eyes moved to her wrist, "Well Kelly Severide, it's time for me to go in, if not I'll be late. If you want to know more, you'll find me."

With that she ducked out of the car and walked with a new bounce in her step.

Let's see how serious he wants to take this.

"How'd it go, buddy?" Herrmann was the first to shout as he entered the firehouse.

Kelly shook his head, a bitter smile on his face. "She said if I wanted to know more I'd find her."

The men laughed heartily, Hadley's guffaw was especially loud. Kelly fight the urge to knock him on his ass as he took a deep, calming breath and fell into his seat with a groan. Her words seemed to be on repeat in his mind, causing anger to build in his chest.

I'm done with this stupid game.

Hadley's loud call brought him back to the present. "Hey Severide, I think you should go down to the mall and ask about a shoe shining class!"

"Shut it, Hadley." He grumbled, taking a sip of water. "I'll put your ass in there cleaning the showers instead of Mills."

Hadley rolled his eyes and held his hands up in defense. "Calm down, Lieutenant."

Vargas sat quietly for a moment. "So what are you going to do?"

"I don't know," Kelly admitted, his voice tight. "It's stupid to play into her hands like I am. If it weren't for this stupid bet with Hadley I'd tell her to kiss my ass."

Vargas pursed his lips to keep from laughing. "Well sir, I'm no woman but I don't think that's a good way of earning her affections."

"Everyone here knows that I know how to treat a woman, Vargas."

He shook his head lightly. "No. You know how to treat them for one night. Try to think beyond the bedroom, Severide."

"What's your suggestion then," Kelly decided to humor himself. "Tell us your great plan, Vargas."

"When's the last time we done a fire safety class at the elementary school just down the street?"

Kelly's eyes widened, "I'll be damned." He felt his smile grow for the umpteenth time that day. "How do you do it, Vargas?"

"I have a wife," he said simply. "She tells me all the time how I'm a woman trapped in man's body."

Kelly stood from his seat and ambled into the Chief's office. "Chief, I feel it's time to do another fire safety class for the kids down the street."

Boden's glasses sat dangerously low as he stared at the Lieutenant. "What brought this on, Kelly?"

"Just looking out for the kids, Chief."

"Very well," Chief Boden agreed. "We'll go Friday."

One step closer.