Status: In Progress!

Boundless

Fighter

Warning: This chapter contains mentions of child-abuse. I wanted to let everyone know of the trigger warning. As always, enjoy!

Image


After the eight hour day chock-full of learning and games was over, the children scrambled around the room to gather their belongings before their parents arrived to pick them up. Some students came to Charlotte for help with pulling the backpack onto their shoulders, and she obliged happily, her heart touched at their innocence.

"Miss Morgan?" Arden stood before her, his back arched away from his bag. "Can you help me?"

"Sure thing, sweetie." She furrowed her brow lightly, tilting her head a bit when she saw the painful look in his eyes. "What's wrong with your back?"

She watched his eyes double in size. "I dunno," he mumbled.

Charlotte extended her hand to the boy and smiled when she felt his tiny hand in hers. She lead him to the corner of the room for a bit of privacy, but they were still in view of the other children.

"Arden, you know you can talk to me about anything don't you? I'm your friend." Charlotte attempted to extract information from the child. "Is everything all right with your uncle?"

Arden shook his head no and swallowed roughly. "No, sometimes he spanks me."

Charlotte felt her chest begin to tighten. "He does? Can you remember the last time that happened, honey?"

"Last night," he whispered. "When we were eating dinner. I accidentally spilled my glass of water and it made my uncle really mad. "

She removed the backpack from him and turned him around gently. Her hand grasped the bottom of his shirt to raise it for a better look at his injury. A sharp inhale left her lips when she caught sight of a dark purple bruise that covered a large portion of his back. A quiet sob left her lips and she had to fight the urge to wrap the child in her arms and take him away from that life for good.

"Did your uncle do that?" Her voice was no louder than a whisper. His minuscule nod confirmed her fears.

Charlotte quickly took pictures with her phone for evidence against the man- she wasn't going to let Arden suffer anymore. She turned him back around to see his large, brown eyes were filled with tears.

"He'll hurt me if he knows I told you. He tells me not to let anyone know."

She gripped his upper arms gently. "I won't tell him," she forced a smile. "I promise."

Once all the students left with their guardians Charlotte nearly stomped into the office, rage boiled in her chest. She slammed her hands onto the desk before her flat when the secretary gave her a wayward glance.

"I need to talk to Principal Peterson- now."

Image


Charlotte paced the room nervously, wiping her sweaty hands on her skirt. The principal suggested that she visit CPS again- she'd previously called twice before- to tell them of the evidence she had on Mr. Jones, so she did. The lady behind the desk told her they'd set a court date, exactly two weeks from the date and so they could go before the judge.

"Okay, but Mr. Jones isn't going to know about this call, right?"

The lady sighed. "Miss Morgan, he will be served papers come tomorrow- papers with your name signed onto the bottom."

"Is there anything I can do to get Arden out of that house until the court date?"

Charlotte bit her lip nervously as she listed to the woman's response. "No, I'm sorry but until he's found guilty Richard is still Arden's legal guardian."

"No, no you don't understand! He'll kill him for telling me."

"I'm sorry Miss, there's nothing else we can do for you today. I'll see you in court."

Charlotte stood angrily, her curls bouncing as she hit her full height, her finger pointed in the woman's face. "If that child dies I'll personally see to you being thrown in prison."

"Good day, Miss Morgan."

When morning came Charlotte found herself unable to focus on anything besides the small boy in her class. She woke with a start that morning- even her dreams were filled with the disaster that was seemingly unfolding before her eyes.

She pulled into the parking spot and not even Kelly's appearance brought a smile to her face. Opening her door she gave him a small wave and plucked her purse from her seat.

"Good morning, beautiful." She shook her head lightly and sighed.

"Mornin' Kelly."

He quirked his eyebrow. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah," she lied. "Just tired, I guess."

Suddenly, shouts were echoed across the lot. Charlotte recognized them immediately and turned angrily on her heel.

Richard Jones stood before her in a threatening stance, a baseball bat in his right hand. "You stupid bitch," he seethed.

Kelly snapped to attention quickly and moved Charlotte behind him. "Hey, back up! What's goin' on here?"

"Move boy, before you get some 'a this, too." He levered his arm back, ready to swing.

"Put the bat down now," Kelly demanded. "Don't make me force it from your grip, man."

Richard's glassy eyes sized him up before he stepped away, a wry grin on his face. "I'll get you for this, Morgan, you mark my words."

"You should be ashamed of yourself," she spoke for the first time. "He's a defenseless child!"

Richard's mouth pulled into a grin. "I don't think Arden'll be joining class for a few days so if I were you I'd go 'head and get his homework together."

"So help me if you hurt him-" Severide put his arm out in front of her to stop her from moving forward. "It doesn't matter, in a few days you'll be incarcerated and that little boy will have a home he deserves."

Richard chuckled. "If he makes it 'till then."

The man staggered out of sight, and when Kelly was sure he wasn't coming back he turned to Charlotte.

"What was that?"

Tears flooded from her eyes before she could speak. "That b-bastard hits him," she covered her mouth with her hand to muffled her cries. She pulled the phone from her purse, watching Kelly's face twist into anger when he saw the child's back.

"You stay away from him." Kelly entered his name and number into her contacts. "If he gives you any more trouble you tell me."

She nodded, wiping at her face.

"I mean it, Charlotte, that guy has nothing to lose. Don't make the mistake of thinking he won't come for you."

"Okay," she whispered. "I have to go to class now."

He nodded and pulled her into his arms. "I'm sorry you're going through this, but I have a feeling that boy's a fighter."

Charlotte sniffed and nodded, her heart a bit lighter when she felt him press a kiss onto the crown of her head.

For the next two days Charlotte waited desperately by the classroom door for Arden to enter, her nerves frayed. Deep in her soul she felt like she was to blame for his absence.

I'm so sorry, Arden.