Status: In Progress!

Boundless

Room 12

The firehouse was eerily quiet that day which agitated Kelly to the core. It was almost like the universe was against him having a peaceful morning.

He stared at the phone that lay several feet from him on the table, almost unable to look away. Earlier that day Charlotte had sent him a text to thank him for his efforts in the parking lot the previous day, and ever since he'd fought the urge to invite her to dinner via a text message. Refusing to act like a lovesick schoolboy he refrained- he'd much rather ask her face to face.

The phone's vibration alerted him. He leaned forward slightly, his fingers twitching in anticipation. When he saw the message was from Hadley he rolled his eyes and sighed.

Without thinking, he quickly slid his fingertips over the buttons and hit 'send' before he could reprimand himself. He leaned back against the seat and reread the simple question he'd asked.

Hey, what classroom are you in?

In a few moments he'd received his answer.

Room 12... why?

Just curious.

With the obtained information the men sat out for the school, each dressed in their uniforms. Kelly decided against wearing the helmet in the truck, and placed it on his head as he jumped out of the firetruck. His eyes took in his former elementary school curiously, and much to his surprise it hadn't changed much. He stopped outside of classroom number twelve and grinned through the glass in the door. He knocked a few times and upon entering the children quieted.

"Kel-," Charlotte cleared her throat. "Lieutenant Severide, what are you doing here?"

Kelly removed his hat. "Well Miss Morgan, I'm here to teach these kids about fire safety." He stepped to the side to reveal a second person, a tall red haired man. "Kids, this is Firefighter Hadley. We're part of the rescue team of Firehouse 51."

Hadley smirked and nodded to the kids. "That's right, guys. We go in and save the people in fires, or car accidents."

"Do you ever get scared?" A boy's small voice called.

Kelly glanced up and instantly knew this was the child Charlotte had defended only days before. He had fading bruises along his arms and his lower lip was split. He took in a slow breath and nodded. "Sometimes we do, but we have to remember that being brave helps us pull through, and that if we're strong for the people inside they feel safer."

"Wow," he breathed. "I wanna be a firefighter when I grow up."

Severide couldn't fight the grin from his face. "That's great, bud. If you are I'll be sure to get you on my squad, right?"

"Yeah!"

Image


Charlotte watched the children stand in a single file line to try on the firefighter's hats. Watching Kelly interact with her kids melted her heart- she stood by her desk the entire time, a smile stretched across her face. When Arden pulled on his sleeve Kelly placed the hat on his head, and because it was too big, it fell across his eyes haphazardly.

Kelly chuckled and quickly straightened it on his head. "There ya go, pal."

He'll be a great father someday.

After each child wore the hat for a few moments, the men packed up and moved to the next room and Charlotte began the school day.

"Alright kiddos, how many of you guys read the story I assigned last night?"

Not even one hand raised.

Charlotte bit her lip to contain her laughter and sighed. "Guys that was homework!"

"Okay, we'll read it in class then, get your books out-" Knock, knock, knock. "Hang on a second."

She strolled to the door and opened it slightly to look at Kelly. "Yes?"

"Hey, I was wondering- I thought we might could go out tonight."

"Kelly," she smiled and nodded, "I'd really like that."

"Great," he breathed. "Great, I'll pick you up at seven?"

"You got it," she grinned. He leaned in to kiss her forehead before he left.

"Oooooohhhh." The yells were simultaneously ringing off the walls of the room.

"Miss Morgan, is Lieutenant Severide your boyfriend?"

"Does he love you?"

"Do you like him?"

"Settle down, guys," Charlotte laughed. "Now, back to reading."

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to wear...

Image


On the ride back to the station Kelly let the men in on his plans. They all suggested locations for their dinner, but none stood out to him as something she'd like. He couldn't imagine Charlotte minding which restaurant he picked, as long as it had good food. He decided on Peter Mills' diner- they'd all had lunch there on several occasions and he couldn't think of a better place.

"Are you only taking her to dinner?" Vargas questioned.

Kelly turned to look at him. "I didn't have anything else planned. Why?"

He shrugged, "I dunno- you could take her to a movie or something. Just dinner sounds a little bland."

"Okay," Kelly sighed, "out with it Vargas, what are you thinking?"

"Well, I know that tonight at the Pier they have a bunch of games set up- ladies love stuff like that."

"Unbelievable," Hadley sighed. "I didn't think we had a woman on this team, but Vargas is steadily proving me wrong."

Kelly reach a hand out to Vargas for a firm shake and turned back around to stare out of the windshield.

Get ready for the date of your life, Morgan.