Status: In Progress!

Boundless

Promises

Charlotte found herself biting her nerves as 6 o'clock rolled around. She cleared her throat, a nervous habit she'd had since she was a child, and straightened the mid-length skirt that covered her legs. Her hand came from her lap quickly and pat her hair self-consciously to smooth any flyaways that may have escaped her darting eyes in the mirror.

When the doorbell rang she slipped into a pair of pumps, boosting her to a towering height of five-foot-four, which clicked against the hardwood floor as she moved to answer it.

Kelly looked more handsome that she would've ever thought. He donned a dark flannel over a white shirt, buttoned all the way to his chest, and a leather jacket to pull the top together. His eyes scanned her outfit quickly then met her eyes again to offer a wink.

"You look nice," she commented, watching as he revealed a bouquet of lilies from behind his back. "Oh my goodness! Kelly, they're beautiful," she extended her hands to take them, "thank you. Come on in, I'll put these in some water."

With his hands in his pockets, he entered the house slowly, taking in the scenery of her home. "You look gorgeous by the way," he grinned.

She placed the clear vase on the island in her kitchen, fixing the lilies so they fanned out over the edge then smiled to him. "Let me get my jacket and we'll be off."

He helped her into her coat and gestured to the door. "After you."

"What a gentleman," she laughed, slinging her purse onto her shoulder.

Kelly maneuvered the Camaro through Chicago's nightlife with ease, one hand on the wheel while the other rested lightly in Charlotte's significantly smaller one. She lost count of the small circles he traced onto her skin with his thumb and settled on surveying her surroundings instead. From her sense of direction she noted they were getting close to the heart of the city.

"So," she began quietly, "where are we going?"

Kelly chuckled. "You're not very patient for a teacher."

She felt the tips of her ears burn with embarrassment. "Okay fine then, we'll go with the typical date questions-"

"That's not what I meant," he clarified. "We're almost there, just calm down."

Her ears pulled upward as her lips twisted into a grin. "Fine, fine. Thank you for this, Kelly. I really needed it."

"My pleasure." He brought her hand to his lips and gave her knuckles a swift kiss.

After only a few moments he pulled into a small parking lot and shut the rumbling motor off. He opened his door and walked in front of the car to swing her door open, surprising her from the speed in which he moved. Holding out his hand he helped her from the car, his eyes never leaving hers.

"I didn't think dates like this really existed," Charlotte admired his chivalry.

Kelly winked once more. "C'mon."

They walked hand in hand toward a mini golf course where a man stood by the entrance to collect money. Kelly quickly pulled his wallet out and stuffed several dollars in his waiting hand before leading Charlotte into the maze.

"You ever played?"

She nodded happily. "Yeah but it was years ago."

"Ah, don't feel bad when I beat you, then."

She felt her mouth drop at his playful words and she pulled the golf club back as if she were going to strike him with it. "Kelly Severide! Here I was thinking you were a gentleman."

He pulled her to him tightly, wrapping his warm, strong arms around her. She nestled her head into his chest and pressed a small kiss to his collarbone.

"Let's go." He pulled away from her with a smile.

After only three holes Charlotte felt her stomach begin to grumble, twisting slightly with hunger. She attempted to muffle the sounds with her voice, but Kelly noticed and laughed.

"You could've told me you were hungry, Charlotte. I'm not going to get mad at you."

She shrugged, her face burning bright. "It's fine, we can finish."

"There's still fifteen holes..."

"You really don't mind?"

He scoffed and shook his head. "Of course not, don't be silly. Come on, we'll go get some grub."

Image


Their restaurant was decorated heavily in everything to do with marine life- paintings, nets and even a large anchor was mounted onto the wall behind the cashier, something that caught Charlotte's artistic side. She observed the interior while Kelly placed a menu before her and urged her to 'take her pick'. She ordered a simple burger and fries while Kelly asked for a medium-rare steak.

"So..." Charlotte drawled. "I've heard some stories on the infamous Lieutenant Severide."

She watched Kelly's eyes dart toward his menu once more before he answered. "Yeah?"

"Uh huh, seems like you're a real lady killer."

He winced slightly. "Charlotte listen-"

"Hey, I'm not here for the guy I've heard about," she said quickly. "I'm here for the guy I've been thinking about for the last two weeks."

"You mean none of that stuff bothers you?"

She bit her lip, "I can't say it doesn't bother me at all, but as long as you're up for a monogamous relationship I'm all yours."

"Monogamous?"

"A one woman kinda guy," she simplified. "I was in a relationship with a man who thought he could have a few ladies on the side."

"I'd never do that, Charlotte, honestly." His eyes were full of sincerity, so much it made Charlotte's stomach twist. "I've been in a relationship like that, I was engaged to her."

"Oh," she said quietly. "Okay, I was just making sure, you can never be too careful, ya know."

He grabbed her hands over the table. "I promise."

"And one more thing," Charlotte requested. "Just please don't lie to me, be honest with me- if somewhere down the line you feel it's not going to work don't let the hope build just do it."

"Charlotte-"

"Kelly please," she breathed. "Please don't lead me on."

Image


On the ride home Charlotte couldn't fight the guilty feeling that loomed over her like a thick, grey cloud. Instead of holding her hand again, Kelly gripped the wheel with both hands gripping it tighter than he may have realized.

"I'm sorry if I made it weird," Charlotte whispered. "I just can't go through that again. Not with you."

She heard his heavy sigh fill the car. "You didn't make anything weird, Charlotte. It's just-"

He pulled into her driveway, the car halting with a quick stop. "I had a good time tonight, Kelly. Really."

"Yeah, me too," he said. "Listen, I have to tell you-."

Charlotte quieted him with a gentle pressure on his lips. She moved her finger slowly from his mouth, leaning forward to replace it with her lips. She felt his shoulders tense under her hands, but he loosened quickly, responding to her action. His hand tangled into her curly, blonde hair and pulled her closer. Charlotte inhaled through her nose, his spicy cologne filled her senses.

Mutually they parted, their breaths mingled into a cloud. "Goodnight," she whispered.

"Night."

"Drive safely."

Image


Kelly felt guilt nestled in his chest as he watched her amble to her door, taking the slowest steps he'd ever seen. As she reach the door she turned and gave him a small wave, and blew a kiss to him. He smiled lightly and pretended to catch it and store it in his pocket. She shut the door and he made sure to wait until she had it locked before backing into the road once more.

"Please don't lead me on."

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair harshly.

I have to tell her.