Black as the Night; Black as a Demon

Black as the Night; Black as a Demon

I can hear machines beeping, someone crying.

Everything seems too be so quiet, like they're not really there. That they're just a figment of my imagination, but I can feel someone sitting next to me; they're holding my hand. Rather tightly. I could feel my veins throbbing from the IVs sitting in his arms.

I recognise the crying; Sam.

Sammy please don't cry. I'll come and hug you soon. Of course I will. Why are you crying? Is it because of the dark? The comforting dark I can see.

Is it the dark? Is the dark scaring you? You always used to be scared of the dark. I thought you got over that. Are you still scared? Please don't cry Sammy. I'm right here.

Am I here? I'm trying to hold your hand but I can't. My fingers won't lace around yours. My muscles are working but my fingers won't.

Sammy, my hand is burning. The liquid dripping onto it hurts. Can you stop it? Please wipe my hand. Sammy, it hurts.

I can hear Bobby. Sammy is Bobby here? I can see him holding his hand out to me. I want to take it but you're holding my hand too tightly. I can bring him back. I can bring Uncle Bobby back to us Sammy. Let go of my hand.

I can see a light, Sammy. It's so warm, so comforting. Have you stopped crying? I can't hear you any more. Where did you go? I can't feel your hand on mine. Bobby's going towards the light. I'm going to follow him Sammy. I'm going to bring Uncle Bobby home and he'll help you to not be afraid of the dark.

..

I always used to tease you because you played baseball like a girl. You could never hit the ball right. It would always go off in the wrong direction. So Bobby and I decided to teach you. Bobby lobbed the balls at us and I showed you how to hit it. You kept messing up so I stood behind you and helped you swing it. The ball hit Bobby in the nuts. Once he recovered from the shock and pain, he chased us all around the field.

Do you remember that Sammy? I can see it. Why can I see it?

Bobby caught you, pinned you down and started tickling your hard. You shrieked and screamed until you were blue in the face. I had climbed a tree, was watching you from it. I'd never seen you happier, Sammy. You were smiling and laughing at nothing and when you eventually coaxed me down we all went out for ice cream. Pinkberry's.

Sammy, why can I see this? It's scaring me. I don't want to see it.

..

Bobby left, Sammy. He pushed me away. I tried to grab him and he shoved me. I fell. I fell but I landed on something soft. I'm so tired Sammy. Maybe a small sleep would do me good. Just ten minutes.

Why are you yelling at me? Jesus, what did I do now? Did I forget to clean the guns? Alright, I won't sleep. You're such a pain sometimes Sammy.

Sammy... Am I dying? Everything hurts. My back, my stomach, my head. It all hurts Sammy. Is that why you're crying? Because I'm not going to be alright? I can feel it. Something moving deep inside of me and it hurts. It feels so horrible. It feels like it's forcing it's way through my body.

I can see you. My eyes aren't so heavy now. They're starting to open. Everything is weird though. It's like I'm trying to see with mud in my eyes. You look tired. Stop looking out of the window, I'm over here.

Sammy, I'm awake. Why won't you look at me? Look, I can use my hands now. Please come and hold my hand.

I shouldn't tell you this but, I was scared Sammy. So scared. Please come and tell me it's going to be alright.

Sammy why are you looking at me like that? Why do you look scared? You're trying not to show it but I can see it. The slight tightness of your jaw, the paleness of your face. Is my face scarred up? Is there something wrong with me face? Help me sit up so I can see a mirror.

I'm looking into the mirror your holding out. Is that me? That can't be me? My eyes aren't black like a demons.

Are they..?