No Matter Where You Are

Date Night

"I don't see why you're so jumpy about this date, Brennara. You look just fine," Maureen Archibald said as Brenna checked herself in the mirror, biting her lip anxiously. The smell of cheap bottled perfume and cigar smoke from her Father and Grandfather's office down below made the house terribly smelly and the overuse of perfume was to make sure she didn't smell of her Father's cigar smoke. She gulped, before making sure her hair was perfectly curled and held up nicely. "Darling, you look fine." Maureen assured her daughter as she kissed her head gently and held her hands on her shoulders to make sure she stayed still. "How old is this dress?" she asked, knowing how much her daughter's boyfriend loved to splurge on new dresses for her.

"Uh..I believe two months old. I told him I would wear it tonight.." she announced, putting on a white cardigan before digging through her closet for the black shoes she always wore. "Mama, where are the shoes?" she asked. "They should be in here!" she exclaimed. "Honey, they should be somewhere!" Maureen sighed as she went downstairs and dug through the containers, before showing them to Brenna. "Here, put them on." she urged as Brenna got up, fixed out her dress and slid them on. "Katie! Are you ready?" she called out, as her best friend poked her head out of the bathroom. "In a minute! God, why are you so ecstatic for this date?" she scoffed, as Brenna heard the doorbell and smiled wide.

"I got it!" Ernest Archibald, Brenna's grandfather, called as he grabbed his walking cane and waddled over as much as he could, opening the door to find a nicely dressed Bucky Barnes and skinny little Steve Rogers, two of Brenna's best friends. Brenna headed downstairs, smiling at him as she walked over. "You look beautiful," he complimented as he pulled her in for a small chaste kiss to her lips and Steve smiled at her. "You look nice." he complimented. "Thank you, Steve." she replied as she hugged him, hopefully not breaking him.

"Is that him?" Katie asked as the three looked over at the girl on the steps. Bucky grabbed Brenna's wrist, yanking her towards him for a quiet discussion. "Katherine? Really?" she asked. "Rosalie was out of town. I asked Katie." she shrugged. "Fix him up a little. You know how picky Katie is." he urged quietly towards her as she headed over to Steve. "Ah, your tie is loose. Let me fix it for you." Brenna offered, fixing it a little bit as she also fixed the button of his shirt. "She's stingy about guys, I know." Steve sighed as Brenna felt bad, gulping.

Katie smiled, heading over as she linked Steve's arm with hers. "It's a pleasure to meet you." He looked startled, but gulped and tried to compose himself. "Hi, Katie. Pleasure to meet you as well." he said. So far so good, Brenna thought. "Let's go dancing, everyone." Katie smiled as they walked out, Brenna on Bucky's arm as she smiled slightly. "I'm scared." Bucky laughed as he kissed his girlfriend's head. "So, you said you had some big news to tell me, Bucky. What was it?" She asked and he froze.

"We can talk later on about it. Let's just go have some fun tonight. Alright, love?" he asked as she took his arm and walked towards the stairs, Bucky moving faster than Brenna as she struggled. "Bucky, stop! You know how bad my knee is nowadays!" she exclaimed slightly, laughing. He smirked and picked her up, throwing her over his shoulder as the door opened to show Ernest, glaring at the young man. "You put my granddaughter down this instant, if you wanna keep that hand, young man!" he snapped as he shook his walking stick at him and Bucky gulped, putting his beloved girlfriend down.

The door slammed shut and she laughed loudly, burying her face into her hands to hide the noise. "Oh god, your grandfather scares the living hell out of me, darling." he chuckled as he rubbed her arms, removing his hands from her face as she wiped tears shown from her laughter.

"He'll beat you with his walking stick!" she giggled.

"Shut up." he laughed as she leaned into him and they headed off after Katie and Steve, smiling wide as there was a happy couple across the street, making her blush at how they looked like how Bucky and Brenna herself were acting. He looked over at her and grinned.

"You have your happy face on." he grinned.

"I always have that face on when I'm with you, James." she chuckled and he nudged her, both walking to catch up with their friends.