Naya

Chapter One

Year 2242

The sound of wood clashing against wood was all that could be heard within the confinement of Naya’s training arena. Sweat dribbled from the crown of her head to her filthy, bare feet. In a defensive battle stance, Naya searched the area; listening, searching. The intense sun beat down on her naked shoulders, skin sticky and uncomfortable. She took in a deep breath, smelling the sweat and blood in the air, and closed her eyes. The tiniest of sounds could be heard when she concentrated. The wind stirring the leaves, critters running about in the forest that surrounded them, the click click sound of a bird pecking its beak into the trunk of a tree. And then… she heard it. Almost inaudible, but definite. The sound of her mentor’s steps as he ran and jumped off the boulder behind her. She swiveled on her toes, her wooden sword meeting hers, forcing her to bend backwards. The impact vibrated up her arm and rattled her teeth, but she stood her ground, as awkward as it was.
Her mentor’s weight pushed down on her, sweat ran into her eyes, but she withstood. Naya pushed against him with all her might until finally, she could slip out from under him. Her mentor stumbled, but quickly recovered, turning onto the defensive. She could not help a tiny smile twitch her lips, however still cautious, Naya circled him, sword held up in front of her face.
Venju oliha, Naya,” her mentor taunted, but Naya caught the twinkle in his eyes. He was up to no good.
He kicked dirt up into her eyes and hoping he had successfully distracted her, attacked viciously. Naya leaned out of his range, grabbed his wrist and twisted it behind him, bringing her own sword up to his throat. But he wasn’t finished.
He stomped on her foot, brought his elbow into her ribs, broke free of her grasp and punched her straight in the jaw. Naya stumbled backwards, spitting blood from her mouth. Now furious, Naya bared her sharpened teeth, emitting a low growl.
Jehn! Good! Gon henje! Get angry!” Her mentor shouted at her. “Rage is a weapon, but use it wisely. Do not let it blind you.”
Naya’s eyes narrowed, her feet unable to stop moving. She was anxious, she was tired, but she would not give up. She slowly circled him again, waiting for him to make a move.
“Come on, Naya! Get on the offensive! Defensive is good, but not always effective.”
Gritting her teeth, Naya tightened her grip on her sword. She did a quick scan of her surroundings. There was nothing that could set her at an advantage. With a snap decision made, Naya threw her sword at her mentor’s head. Distracted with deflecting the flying wood, her mentor could not block the harsh kick to his ankles, knocking him to the ground. Naya took his sword hand and twisted it until the wrist snapped. Her mentor cried out in pain. Still holding his hand, only gentler now, Naya put her foot on his chest in triumph.
Her mentor laughed wholeheartedly. “Very very good, Naya. You are so creative, using that brilliant mind of yours as a weapon. An original attack, you caught me off guard, however I wouldn’t recommend throwing your weapon at your enemies.” He grinned. “But you did take out my best chance of fighting back.”
With a smile, Naya helped him up. Cradling his wrist, her mentor gave her a proud grin. “You, my young one, are ready.” He waved his good hand onward. “Come, we must tell your father to make the preparations for an extra student in the ceremony tonight… and see if Herue can bandage up this wrist.”
Naya grinned.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The flames reflected in the gold eyes of Naya, the smoke billowing in puffs up to the dark night sky. She stood among her soon-to-be fellow warriors, men and women much older than herself. They looked at her in surprise, praise, and even outrage. It was obvious that her place there was quite an achievement; to be 14 years old and gaining the title of a Knight. And yet, despite the feelings choking her, she stood with her chin up, and chest out. She deserved this. She would not be intimated.
Ghanzas, the priest, threw a powder onto the fire and the flames erupted into a light, beautiful shade of violet. Naya’s eyes widened in awe as the flames took shape of a jaguar, crouched and yawning to the stars. Her Chief, also her father, walked among the twelve now coming into Knighthood, reciting the ancient words. Naya watched the flames, tuning out her father’s deep, commanding voice. Two more jaguars appeared, different colors and sizes. They kept coming, slowly, until twelve shimmering spirits lined themselves up, all twenty four eyes seemed to be staring at her. She swallowed.
Do not be afraid.
Her father raised both arms, palms up, singing the last few words. Dancers began the ancient dance done hundreds of times before over thousands of years, the people of her village sang the ancient song, the jaguars themselves joining in with low growls, bursting into a sprint toward the warriors standing around the fire. Naya took a step back when she noticed one was coming towards her, but stopped when the spirit leaped and smacked into her full force, dispersing. Naya collapsed to the ground, feeling as if she were choking on the smoke swirling in the sky above her. The voices singing could be heard distantly, the stars twinkled, bright, brighter, and then her whole vision was an eerie blue.
Naya suddenly stood, surrounded by a tranquil land. Rolling green grasses blowing in a gentle breeze. She could smell the wild flowers, hear the buzzing of the insects. The sun blazed down from a clear blue sky. It was beautiful, but she was alone, lost. Her village was gone, her father’s always reassuring voice gone. She was afraid, but she would not show it.
You must be brave.
Naya turned slowly until she spotted the small dark shape in the distance. She ran towards it, hoping it was the way out. She stopped when she realized it wasn’t an exit, but the sleeping cub of a jaguar. It’s tawny yellow fur lifted and fell as it breathed. Naya crouched down, took it into her arms, and kissed its forehead. The jaguar’s eyes opened, revealing gold ones exactly like Naya’s. Naya smiled.
“Niltze,” Naya greeted the jaguar, the peaceful land slowly fading back into the fire of the ceremony, her father, and her people.
Niltze, Naya heard in her mind, the voice was female like and childish, but very wise. My name is Papan.
Naya touched her forehead to the jaguar’s, a small, eerie blue light shining between them until suddenly she was on the ground again, her father leaning over her, his brows furrowed in concern. Naya blinked, coming back to her senses. The jaguar lied lazily in her arms as she slowly got to her feet. Her father stepped back, the worry on his face melting into a smile.
Naya looked up at the proud faces of her father, her mentor, her people, and the other knights, also standing with their jaguar cubs. Her father rested one of his huge, callused hands on her shoulder.
“She has chosen you,” he said. “You must seal the bond.” With that, he stepped away.
Naya raised her cub into the air, shouting “Ocelotl!” Her people shouted back in response, the dancers danced again. The other warriors followed her actions, raising their cubs to the stars, screaming “Ocelotl!”
Jaguar Knight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys :)

PAY ATTENTION TO THE DATES in the first few chapters. It's really important and as the story goes on, the dates are explained better.
I hope you like. More should come tomorrow :)
Please comment, subscribe, or just keep reading