Status: Active

Miserably Loving You.

Leighton

I sighed when I saw Violets name pop up on my phone. She had been especially hostile towards me since her and Gage started being friends again, so this probably was more of a "I need something from you" call rather than an apology or an invitation.

"Hello?" I sighed.

"Hey, uh... Gage ran off and Elliot won't tell me why exactly. So can you come get me. He's acting really weird and panicky and I just want to come home."

"Yeah, you're at the mall right?"

"Mhm, thanks Leighton..."

"Yeah yeah, don't mention it."

I got out of bed and trudged downstairs and kissed my mothers head before grabbing my keys.

"Leighton, would you mind picking up a dessert for Thanksgiving for tomorrow? Mrs. Callaghan asked for me to bring what I "made" last year... So just grab the markets Apple spiced pumpkin pie." I looked at my mother blankly.

"What is an apple... What?" I thought the whole purpose of a pumpkin pie was for it to be "pumpkin" flavored.

"It's just an added spice. It makes it taste better; grab that and cool whip. You can just take my card."

I nodded in response and left. I didn't have the energy to debate pie flavoring. Since I had been leaving Gage alone, I had been taking the remaining medicine Mr. Callaghan had given me. Of course it stopped working the more I took them, but I decided to finish off the bottle. I mean, I fell asleep and all, I just didn't stay asleep nor could I fall back to sleep.

But Gage needed his space and I needed to respect that.

When I got to the mall I saw my sister and that Elliot boy sitting on a bench, his face turned whiter than a sheet when he saw me.

"Leighton, I am so so sorry." He said, and even though I really didn't care for this kid, I knew it had to be about Gage running off so it peaked my interest a little bit.

"What for?" I asked, lazily cocking my eyebrow, and he quickly shot a confused look at Violet who gave him back her ever famous "you idiot" glare.

"I uhm..."

"He kissed Gage." Violet interrupted as she stood in front of the now shaking boy. "He read the signals wrong and Gage freaked out. It's no big deal."

"Well... It kind of is." I sighed. "Quit belittling Gage's feelings Vi."

"I'm not... I just don't want you killing Elliot."

"Look, Gage broke up with me. I can't just go around beating up everyone who makes him uncomfortable. Sure, I may go check on him and if his story differs any from a "innocent mixed signal" then you may hear from me again, but as of right now you're good to go."

Elliot looked at me doubtfully before saying bye to Violet and myself and going on his own way.

I didn't have much to say the whole way to the market, but as soon as we were on our way home with the pie and whipped topping, Violet sighed and looked at me.

"You really like him? Don't you?"

"Who?"

"Gage you moron." She groaned. "I'm sorry I messed that all up... Is it really too late for you two? I mean... It'll be weird and kind of like a custody battle... But after that encounter with Elliot, I can see how you would be good for him."

"Well thanks." I laughed and she rolled her eyes. "I don't know though, maybe if you told him what you just told me, maybe he'd be up for it. But he seems pretty emotionally exhausted right now. So it's probably just better that we let him calm down a little bit."

My sister nodded and sighed. I could tell by the look on her face that there was something else on her mind, and though I didn't really want to ask, I knew I probably should.

"What else?"

"What do you mean?"

"Something else is weighing on your mind. What is it?" She sat there quietly for a second before sighing.

"Do you really like Moms boyfriend?"

"Yeah, he makes her happy. Nothing else matters."

"It's really that easy for you?"

"Yep."

"Why? Aren't you sad at all for Dad? How can you just turn your back on him like that?"

"Because Violet, he was horrible to us-"

"How?! You keep saying this, but how?!" She said, her voice hitting that sad whine she always made before crying.

"Do you remember that Daddy daughter dance that you couldn't go to? The one you got all dressed up for and waited all night for dad to show up for but he never came?"

"... Yeah?"

"Well he wasn't on a business trip. He was banging his secretary. Oh and that time he didn't join us to Aunt Michelle's wedding... Yeah he wasn't working. He went to Florida with Mrs. Picket. Remember her? The one with the husband who died in that accident. Yeah... Oh! And remember the-"

"Fuck, Leighton I get it." She groaned "okay okay. God damn. I get it. Dads a piece of shit."

"Yep. He is, do you really think Mom should be back with that? Or is her happiness more important than this nuclear family bullshit?"

"You're right... I uh... Damn." I heard her sniffle so I pulled over and wrapped my arms around her. It was a bit awkward but she seemed to appreciate it.

"He's a piece of shit, but he's still our dad. I still love him, and you can too. I mean he kind of helped make us, and he wasn't always so stupid. But this blind angst you have towards mom needs to stop."

"Yeah... You're right." She huffed. "You're always right."

"Nah, not always." I laughed. "I've just had a lot of time to think about all of this. So you're not going to cause a scene tomorrow?"

"No, I'll be good... One more question though?"

"What?"

"Are you really thinking about going away to college?" I chuckled and shook my head.

"Fuck school. I'd be a complete moron to skip out on working with mom." She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She looked pretty relieved by that.

"Good. I really don't know what I'd do without you here."

"Yeah yeah. Stop with the sappy shit. Let's go home."

When we got home I debated going to check on Gage, but I figured I probably shouldn't. He needed a break from being bombarded with conflicting emotion.

So instead I took a few pills and laid down. I knew it wouldn't help but some sleep was better than no sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning my mom busied herself with getting ready. She wanted to look her best since Kris was coming.

Violet went over to Gage's early to help set up, and I of course stayed home and played video games until it was time to go.

Mom put the pie on one of her decorative plates and made me follow behind her and Kris when it was time to go.

Of course their house smelled immaculate, and was decorated to perfection, but there was something missing... Well... Two somethings.

"They're upstairs hon." Gage's mom said in a feigned chipper voice. It was kinda weird, but I guess it must have been one of those mothers intuition things that told her why I was so distracted.

"Oh, uh thanks." I said before heading upstairs.

When I knocked Violet answered and looked at me sadly.

"I tried talking to him..." She whispered. "I'll leave you two alone."

She moved past me then, and I let my eyes settle on the small boy who looked adorable in his ugly oversized sweater.

"Gage... What's going on..?"

"Nothing... Well everything... But nothing."

"Start from the beginning?" He looked at me as if that simple sentence was the most overwhelming thing he had ever heard.

"I... I messed everything up. First with Violet, then with you and now Elliot kissed me and I just feel so gross! I didn't want him too I promise! It just happened before I even knew what was happening! I'm sorry Leighton!" I quickly pressed my lips against his. If I didn't stop him from talking there would be no telling where this tizzy he worked himself into would land us.

But as soon as our lips touched, I actually felt him relax into me which made me smile.

"Wh... Leighton." He said, barely above a whisper as we pulled away.

"Did Violet talk to you?"

"She tried... I wasn't really listening though." I chuckled at that. I loved his occasional brutal honesty.

"She's okay with us."

He looked at me skeptically before his eye lit up, he still looked a little confused but I don't think he honestly cared.

"Really?! She's serious?! How?!"

"I dunno, but she is. Must be one of those Thanksgiving miracles."

He squealed before throwing his arms around my neck and nearly squeezed the life out of me before quickly dropping his arms.

"Wait... Are you... Do you want to try again?" He asked, that worried look quickly flooding his features again. So I kissed him instead of answering properly.

That always seemed to work best with calming him.
♠ ♠ ♠
God, I'm so sorry about how long that took me, and it may take me a little longer to update my other story as well but I promise it's all going to be worth it!

I've just been so busy with this move to our new house that my brain just hasn't been into writing. FORGIVE ME PLEASE.

Also, if you haven't subscribed, my other co-writer and I are starting up a new story, so be on the look out for that! (I know, shameless promotion xD ) But here it is!! Worlds Apart.

But thank you
starkidfankid04
Sarcastically Blunt
&
Alexeerumis

for your ever amazing comments. The mean the world to us. < 3