Status: Active

Miserably Loving You.

Gage

My cheeks were probably flushed during the remainder of the lunch period. That was so embarrassing and I just... I couldn't believe that Leighton actually did that for me! When he said he'd take care of it I don't know what I was expecting exactly, but I definitely wasn't expecting him to punch one of them!

But what he said as he sort of hugged me back was kinda bugging me. "Yeah man, of course. Don't mention it."

That's something guys say to their guy friends or just other guys in general. It just made reality hit me harder and it was definitely a reminder that I'd never be anything more to him. Though I'd hardly even call us friends.

For the rest of the day that cafeteria fiasco was still fresh on my mind, but luckily I didn't have another run in with any of those jerks. I think Leighton scared them away. Good, I don't think I can deal with another unwanted encounter with them.

"So, what do you want to do this weekend?" Violet asks as we exited our last class of the day.

I shrugged. "Whatever's fine."

Violet huffed. "Stop being so indecisive! You have to want to do something!"

"Sorry, I just don't have anything in particular that I want to do,"I explained. Besides hanging out with Leighton.

When we made it to the car Leighton was already there and my cheeks instantly begin to heat up. Ugh, why do I have to blush so easily when I'm around him?

"You didn't have anymore problems, did you?"

I looked up with wide eyes at the sound of his voice. I looked down at my feet as I answered him. "N-no."

"That's because you bruised their egos," Violet laughed.

Leighton simply shrugged as we all piled into his car. "I honestly don't think you have to worry about them anymore. They're probably scared that Leighton will beat the shit out of them or something," Violet said reassuringly.

"I hope not," I mumbled. I really hoped that they'd stop. I've never been bullied before--well at least not directly--so this was kind of overwhelming. I've always just stayed to myself and avoided any kind of confrontation. It was surprising how I managed that since I always stuck by Violet's side and she most definitely was not afraid to speak her mind.

No one said anything else about it, thankfully and it was pretty much quiet until we got home. Violet and I went straight to her room where I went straight for the bed and grabbed my favorite pillow of her's. It was fluffy and purple. I hugged the pillow to my chest and watched as Violet sat her stuff down and joined me in her bed.

"I am not looking forward to next week. We're bound to be drowned in homework," she groans as she grabs a pillow and bury her face into it.

"I know," I pout.

"Well, let's not dwell on it now. What do you wanna do?" She asks raising her head up. "Watch a movie, play a game, go to the park?"

My eyes lit up at the mention of the park. "Let's go to the park!" I loved going to the park. You are never too old to go to the park.

Violet grins at me and we get out of her bed, slip our shoes on and walked out of her room. But instead of heading for the stairs Violet makes her way to her brother's room. I silently follow behind her.

"I'm gonna let Leighton know we're leaving," she says as she reaches for the doorknob.

"Shouldn't you knock first?" I ask quietly.

Ignoring me, Violet pulls the door opened revealing Leighton sitting on his bed playing game...with his pants off. I hid behind Violet as my cheeks begin to heat up.

"What the hell?" Leighton says looking up at Violet.

"We're heading to the park. You wanna come with?"

"No thanks."

"You sure?"

"I'm pretty positive."

I frown in disappointment at his response. I kinda wanted him to come with us.

"Fine, we'll be back later," Violet says as she closes the door behind her.

I follow Violet down the stairs where we both get a bottle of water out of the kitchen before making our way to the park. It took us about fifteen minutes to get there and as soon as the park came into view I ran for the swings.

There was a comfortable silence between us as we both swung until Violet broke the silence.

"I really hope those jerks lay off," she said quietly.

"Violet-"

"It just pisses me off how people think they can just pick on people like that. And they don't even care how it effects people."

"Can we not talk about this right now?" I mumble.

Violet gives me a small smile. "I just care about you Gagey and I don't want to see you hurt."

I let out a sigh. "I know. And please never call me Gagey again."

Violet laughs and thankfully drops the subject.

"So, your mom is going away this weekend?" I ask suddenly remembering she mentioned it the other day. Bad idea.

"Yeah, she's probably fucking around with some asshole or something," Violet replies halfheartedly.

"Have you even met the guy yet?"

"Nope. Don't want to," she says hopping off the swing and heading over to the slide obviously trying to dodge the conversation.

I frown as I watch her. I remember when her parents were going through their divorce she'd hide out at my place. I get that she's still upset about it and I wouldn't really understand since my parents are still together, but I think she should still talk about it with someone. And doesn't she want her mom to be happy?

Sighing, I hop off the swing and make my way over to the slide. "I can't believe you can still fit on that."

She sticks her tongue out at me and slides down kicking me and knocking me over in the process. "Wow, Gage, really? You need to work on your balancing skills or something," Violet laughs as she sticks out her hand for me to take.

"Shut up." I pout as she pulls me up and my stomach suddenly growls and Violet is laughing harder, because apparently I'm fun to laugh at.

"Let's go and get food in your stomach. We can make Leighton get us something to eat."

"N-no, it's okay. I can just go home and-"

"No, you're coming back to my place and we're gonna eat takeout and watch movies," Violet says as she loops her arm with mine and drags me back to her place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Leighton!" Violet screams as we enter her house.

Groaning, I pull away from her. "Why are you always screaming when I'm right next to you?"

She just grins and screams her brother's name again. "What the hell do you want?" Leighton groans as he makes his way down the stairs...and why the heck is he still not wearing pants?

My face is burning and my heart is beating fast and I turn for the door. "Uhm, I'm gonna let my mom know I'm staying over."

Violet gives me a weird look. "Why? I'm pretty sure she already knows and you can just call her."
"I just...because," I say and quickly exit the house.

Why? Why? Why? I lean against the door as my heart continues to hammer in my chest. Why did Leighton have to prance around with no pants on? I mean I know it's his home but still. He can't just do that!

I take a deep breath before walking over to my house and opening the door. "Mom!" I call as I enter the house.

"I'm in the kitchen!" she calls back and I make my way into the kitchen. "Hello, sweetie. How was your day?" she says as I sit down at the table.

"Good. Uhm, I'm gonna hangout with Violet. We're gonna order takeout and watch movies or something," I say.

"Oh, you can invite them over here tonight."

"Oh, no that's o-"

"That sounds great!" I quickly turn around at the sound of Violet's voice.

"Why are you breaking into our home?"

"Because someone left the door unlock," Violet answers sticking her tongue out at me.

Something she does often along with laughing at me.

"Hello, Violet. How was the first week of school?"

Violet lets out an exaggerated groan and I roll my eyes. "It was okay. I have more classes with Gage than last year, so that's pretty cool. But the other day Gage-"

I elbow her and give her a look. "Uhm, nevermind. I'll uh go see if Leighton wants to come over for dinner."

She leaves and I let out a soft sigh. She was not about to tell my mom about the bullying. I definitely did not need my parents knowing about that.

"Gage, sweetie, can you set the table please?"

"Yes, ma'am," I say going to get the plates out of the cabinet.

Usually I eat dinner at Violet's or sometimes Violet would come over mine but very rarely would Leighton come over. I quietly go about setting up the table thinking of all the embarrassing things that could happen at dinner. I just hope that Leighton puts pants on before coming over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks so much for reading!!

And thanks to the following for their lovely comments!
MrsPull
polka dot perfection
h.a.p.p.y.
novocaine_sea
& Bludgeoned.Brittany


<3