A New Beginning

A History of Tension

We left the restaurant after paying for the food that I didn’t even eat. My stomach wasn’t too keen on having something put in it this morning. Who was I kidding; the real reason why I was upset was because I had to watch as Jimmy gave the waitress his number. After that speech about how I should respect myself because people would find it more attractive and he gives his number to her? I was furious with that man. Why was I this angry? Jimmy and I weren’t in a relationship and I only had a little crush on him. Similar thoughts must have been passing through Matt’s mind as well, because he brought it up in our conversation as we walked down the sidewalk.

“Rev, what were you thinking in giving that chick your number? She doesn’t really care about you.” He said annoyed.

He scoffed at Matt before he replied. “You don’t think I could see that? I gave her Zacky’s number knowing that she’d never let us leave until she got someone’s digits.” He laughed as he explained.

Matt and I quickly joined in with Jimmy’s laughter. People walking across the street from us would just stop and stare. Too bad for those bystanders of our humor, it was their loss. As our short journey continued, the three of us spotted a small photo booth on the outside of a convenience store. I ran to the blue curtain and ripped it open with Matt and Jimmy right behind me. The two guys sat down first and I had to make room for myself on their laps. We only had a second to get ready once I slipped the money in the slot. The light flashed quickly and I was trying to change my pose for every frame. I waited in anticipation for the pictures to fall down into the slot. Squealing in delight, I snatched up the slip of photos when they came into sight. We attracted more stares as we started laughing at the pictures. Of course, we were all doing something stupid in each picture. In the very last shot Matt and I had crossed our eyes and stuck our tongues out, but not Jimmy. Jimmy was placing a kiss on my cheek. Deep down I knew that I would cherish this picture forever. I quickly masked my elation as Matt commented on our little modeling session.

“Sweet,” he laughed, “these are awesome. Aww, look at Jimmy in the last one. What a romancer.”

I glanced up at Jimmy who looked at me and turned a light shade of pink. I was getting fed up with all these signs. One minute he’s warm the next he is cold. Either Jimmy has multiple personality disorder or he is going through a harsh inner battle right now. I find it funny that he tells me that I’m not ready for it. He has to be trying to convince himself because I know what I want. Jimmy completes me in a way no one has before. I adore his personality and the faith he has in those who are close around him. But when would his faith in me grow? I guess I would just have to wait. Continuing on her walk, we were back at the house in just a few minutes. Matt never bothered coming into the house and he pulled me back before I stepped through the door.

“Layla, I was wondering if we could hang out, ah…alone, sometime.” He asked nervously.

“Well, of course Matt. I’d love to. Just call me when you want to get together.” I laughed at his being nervous.

He gave me a smile as he hugged me good-bye and left to his car. I waved him off and then entered the house. The house was quiet and I noticed that Johnny’s car keys were missing. He must have left the house for something. Walking into the kitchen I grabbed myself a little box of juice and sipped it through the straw. Why they had this in their fridge I had no idea. Strolling into the living room I sat next to Jimmy on the couch who was focusing on his hands.

“Whatcha thinking about Jimmy?”

He just shrugged his shoulder and continued to pick at his fingernails. I wasn’t the kind of girl to pester someone when they wouldn’t talk, so I left him to stew in his thoughts. Turning on the television, I began to flip through in search of something interesting to watch. I settled for the History Channel. You may not know it, but that station can have some pretty interesting things on it. As I listened to some old British man talk about the defeat of the Spanish Armada by Britain, Jimmy cleared his throat to get my attention. Looking at the man next to me, I found his interest still in his lap.

“So, what were you and Matt talking about before you came in?” he asked trying not to sound to interested.

“Oh, he asked if he could spend some more time with me later. I doubt he’ll ever get together with me anyway.” I responded nonchalantly.

He gave a little nod and the room became silent again. I seriously hated all the tension that was happening whenever Jimmy and I were alone together. If we were expected to live with each other, something was going to change for that to be possible. So I just swung my feet up on the coffee table and made myself comfortable, while Jimmy appeared to be in deep thought still. The only movement in the room was my finger as I pushed buttons on the remote that was beside me. My hand was stopped by another hand. Glancing down at mine, I saw that Jimmy had placed his hand around mine and was seeing what I would do about it. Sure he was holding my hand, but I didn’t give much thought to it really. About the time his face was getting closer to me was when my mind really started to race. I was ready, but a part of me felt like giving him a taste of his own medicine.

“Jimmy,” I quietly said which stopped him, “now is not the right time.”

I got up from the couch and escaped to my room. It was a terrible thing to do, but for some reason I wanted to let Jimmy know how something like that can feel. The next ten minutes were spent with my knees huddled against my body, thinking about everything that has happened. My thoughts cleared away when my bedroom door was slammed open and Jimmy marched right in. I didn’t even get time to blink before Jimmy’s words were on a roll.

“Layla, I’ve tried so hard to suppress my feelings for you, but it’s killing me by not telling you. These past few months have been anguish on my behalf because of how I felt about you. I knew that you were special from the moment you walked into your kitchen when we first met. Don’t deny how you feel because I’m sure we're both aware of the strong attraction between us. Layla, I like you more then the best friend of your brother should, but it’s not going to deter my feelings for you. Say something Layla, what do you feel right now.”

Jimmy was begging me with his whole heart and soul. He was in too fragile a state to hear any horrible news. But I would not say any harsh words toward the man that I’m most passionate about. It was then that I opened my mouth and said the only thing I could say.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you like the update!

thanks for reading and comments would be amazing!