A New Beginning

Terrible First Impressions

knock…knock

“Layla, it’s time to get up honey.” Mom said through the door.

I groaned in response and I heard her footsteps retreat down the hallway. Stripping myself from my warm cocoon of sheets, I took in my appearance while standing in front of the mirror. I hadn’t cried that much during the night but it was enough to make my face look red and puffy. My light brown eyes appeared dull this morning. Lexi always said that I was a beautiful crier. I would never get the sniffles or sob. She said it was pretty when a single tear would fall down my face and I could remain perfectly quite. Well, she was wrong. I looked like crap this morning and I felt the same way. Meeting my new brother was not something that I wanted to do, but I’ll be honest, it seemed interesting. Opening a drawer I pulled out a pair of dark skinny jeans, my Syn Gates tank top, and a plain hoodie. After getting dressed I slipped on a pair of simple black flip-flops so that I could show off my purple nail polish. Usually I would wear eyeliner and mascara, but I put a layer of foundation on to hide my puffy cheeks. I put my hair up in a ponytail and straightened my bangs off at an angle. Checking myself out in the mirror I decided that more eyeliner was needed because I felt that I should make my presence known to my brother. I was about to walk out of my room when I forgot something. Running over to my jewelry box I slipped in my metal nose ring. My parents never let me wear it but considering that I’m 18 and I’m not really their daughter I felt like I could get away with it. I made my way to the kitchen to make a little something for breakfast. A bowl of Coco Krispies would be amazing. I grabbed the milk and a bowl and went over to the cupboard to find the cereal. I looked everywhere for it until I spotted the brown box on the top shelf.

“Hey! Who put the friggin’ box on the top shelf? You guys know that I can’t reach it!” I sighed.

“Sorry Layla,” dad laughed, “I forgot that you were vertically challenged.”

He handed me the box and walked into the den. I’m surprised that I never saw the difference before. My dad stood 6’5” and mom was a lovely 5’10”. Little ole me was, well, little. I’m proud that I’m only 5’1. It makes me who I am. I ate my breakfast in the living room while watching a countdown on Fuse.

“Sweet, Afterlife is number three, take that Paramore!” I said to myself.

My mom walked into the room and sat down next to me. She looked me over a couple of times as if she were debating on what to say first.

“Ok, I still love you guys and I will always love you. You are my only parents and you raised me well. By the way, I’m not taking out the nose ring.” I stated all in one breath.

She just chuckled. “I guess that takes care of what I was going to say but you forgot about one thing. Your brother will be here in 10 minutes to pick you up. All I know about him is that he’s into music and his name in Donnie.”

I nodded my head and she left me alone. At least he’s into music. That can’t be so bad. I still felt a little nervous though. The only thing that kept me from blowing chunks was the fact that he couldn’t hate me because I was his sister. I went to the bathroom quick and brushed my teeth. I was fussing over myself in the mirror when I heard the doorbell go off. I stood still as I heard my parents greet him at the door. Then confusion sat in. I heard multiple voices coming from the kitchen. Somehow they seemed familiar but I knew I was being crazy.

“Layla, come out and meet your brother. He also brought some friends.” Dad called.

I okayed my appearance and opened the door. Walking through the doorway of the kitchen I took in who all was there. My lungs gave out. I really couldn’t breathe. My palms were clammy and my vision was becoming darker. Instantly my whole world went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
who can it be?
find out in the next chapter!