A New Beginning

Pick Myself Up

I took a deep breath as Jimmy opened the door of the tour bus. A muffled silence filled my ears as my feet carried me into the main room of the bus. All I could hear was the beating of my heart as I stared at my pacing brother. He noticed my presence and came straight towards me. I flinched thinking that I was going to be pummeled but instead I felt him embrace me in a hug.

“Sweet Jesus, you’re ok! You assholes had your phones turned off so I had no way of getting hold of you.” he said in a whisper.

Sensing the fright in his voice I melted inside. I felt horrible for bringing so much stress on my brother.

“I’m sorry Johnny, but we are back in one piece so there is nothing to fear.” I said to reassure my still shaken brother.

Brian chocked on his water when he heard my words which earned him a glare from Jimmy and me. Johnny had no idea that I was now Jimmy’s wife and it would stay that way until we could think of a plan to make this ordeal better. Johnny glanced at the guitarist to make sure he was ok before walking into the back room of the bus. Once he was out of eyesight Jimmy smacked Brian in the back of the head for bringing more attention to our situation. A few choice words left our disgruntled friend’s lips before he left in the same direction as Johnny. I breathed a sigh of relief that we both were still alive and no injuries were acquired. Jimmy sat down on the couch and pulled me with him so that I was placed perfectly on his lap. He also exhaled shakily telling me that I wasn’t the only one to have the pressure released. His arms squeezed my body lightly as I relaxed into him. I looked down at our hands and smiled. The two golden bands in front of my eyes. The reality of all of this still hadn’t completely sunken in yet.

“Next city we go to I’m buying you a decent ring. I’m not letting you wear some cheap shit that will turn your finger green.” Jimmy said into the crook of my neck.

“Jimmy you don’t’ have to.” I said trying to reason with him.

“Don’t even argue with me Layla. You deserve it.” he said in a flat tone.

The two of us relaxed into the comfortable leather couch and watched whatever show was currently being played on the television. At this point we thought we were in the clear. There would be no way for Johnny to ever find out that Jimmy and I were enjoying the married life, as long as Brian kept his mouth shut. The way I saw it, the sooner we leave Las Vegas the better. I could hear the bus driver rustling around up front signaling that he was getting ready to depart. Jimmy squeezed my thigh showing that he was thinking the same thing I was. With a metallic click the door to the bus swung open and their manager Larry walked into the bus. He wouldn’t be touring with us, he just liked to see the opening show of their tours.

“Can I have everyone out here quickly?” he yelled to the four guys in the back.

Jimmy sat upright on the couch, bringing me with him, as the others followed Larry’s voice. Thinking he was going to give a few words of wisdom to the band I just began to run my fingers over the knuckles on Jimmy’s hands.

“A few things before I head back to California; last night’s show was amazing and it was a hell of a beginning for you guys, I want to wish you the best of luck for the rest of your shows and hope that you stay focused, and finally some dude dressed like Elvis handed me this tape as I was walking up to the bus. It says that it was paid with your credit card Johnny.”

While a disgusted frown adorned my face, the rest of the guys just laughed at the fact that an odd tape had been purchased by Johnny. He angrily shoved aside all the smart comments and slipped the tape into the VCR that was built into the entertainment system of the bus. All of us were curious as to what the tape would be so any open seating was snatched up. Snowy static was soon pushed aside as some cheesy romantic music began to play. I glanced over at Johnny, still wondering if he had actually bought porn or not, when Jimmy and Brian let out two little squeaks. My gaze shot back to the screen where I believe I saw my death playing. In fancy white script The Little White Wedding Chapel proudly presents… was displayed on the screen. Jimmy clung on to me tightly as we were both to scared to make a move. Soon after that the words …James Owen Sullivan and Layla Rose Townsend. My entire body was shaking in fear and it didn’t make it any worse that Jimmy was shaking a little bit as well. I had no idea what was going on, until the thought just hit me.

“Layla, take one of my cards just in case you get lost and need something.” Johnny said warmly.

“Bro, I’ll be fine. I don’t want or need your money.” I said pushing the plastic card away.

“Just take it. You never know when it might come in handy.” he said with a smile.


Shit, I thought in my head. I must have used my brother’s credit card to pay for a tape of the “ceremony” while all under the influence of enough tequila to choke a Mexican. The quality was that of a simple home movie it seemed, but those in the video were all to recognizable. There we were, in all our drunken glory, standing side by side up at the small altar. Jimmy’s blue tux and my trashy gown seemed to be in much better condition then. Just barely, you could make out the side of Brian’s body in a side pew as he watched us slur our vows.

“I, The Reverend Tholomew Plague, take this fine woman’s hand in marriage.” Jimmy roared in the priest’s face, who was slightly scared of the person in front of him.

“And I, Lola Petunia Suburb, wait, that’s not my name, but who gives a shit? Any who, yes, I claim my oh so passionate love for this sexy mother fucker right here.” I said in a shrill voice.

I had watched this tape say, five years in the future, I would be dieing of laughter right now. Instead, I was just dieing altogether. My mouth was so dry from it hanging open for so long but I still couldn’t bring myself to move at all. The priest quickly said all the legalities for the ceremony at which point the gave Jimmy permission the kiss the bride. Jimmy came down with so much force that we both fell to the floor in a flurry of tongues and groping, all the while Brian was crying his eyes out saying that our young love was so beautiful. Blackness crossed the screen as some of the credits flashed on the screen and I finally forced myself to look at my brother. He was silently staring at the television which had been turned off by a shocked Zacky. In a matter of seconds his eyes rolled in the back of his head and he tipped over backwards. I watched in shock and awe as my unconscious brother was dragged to his bunk to recuperate. Everyone came back in the room where all eyes fell on Jimmy and me. They could speak first because I didn’t know what I could say.

“Was that tape for real? Are you guys seriously married?” Matt asked quietly.

“Yes, Layla and I are now husband and wife.” Jimmy said quietly.

“It’s going to be ok guys.” Zacky gushed over emotionally. “We can get this solved in court and everything will be fine as long as the marriage hasn’t been consummated yet.”

Brian’s uproarious attitude and the guilty faces that Jimmy and I wore ultimately told Matt and Zacky that answer.

“Seriously? You haven’t been married for a whole day and you’ve already done it?” Matt asked.

“Well that’s a dumb question.” Brian scoffed. “They’re married now and they are perfectly fine with it so I’m not understanding what the problem is.”

“The problem with all this is that you guys were drunk and jumped into this without considering anything at all. What will Johnny say when he actually wake’s up?” Zacky asked.

“Yeah,” Matt agreed, “Layla is just barely legal and both of them are not ready for this.”

“Enough!” I seethed to Matt and Zacky. “None of you are considering what we think and what we want. Believe it or not Jimmy and I are happy with how this all turned out. I love Jimmy with all my heart and I know that he feels the same way about me. Of course Johnny will be upset, but I have to grow up sometime. He can take all the precautions he wants to see that I won’t get hurt in life, but I’m going to fall down here and there and I need to learn how to pick myself up. Being married to Jimmy is the best thing that I could ever think of. Yes, we didn’t go about it in the traditional sense, but we are not going to get a divorce. We are going to work around this because that’s what married people do.”

Still feeling the blood boiling in me and stomped off the bus leaving my message fresh in their minds.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the lack of updating, but college can be busy ya know

leave me lots of comments, because [insert faith figure here] will love you more!!