A New Beginning

I Do

“Thank you Dad.” I whispered into his chest and I tightened my arms around him.

My adoptive father looked down at me and I could tell that he was trying to keep his composure. He looked very strange to me in a tuxedo, but I guess he was supposed to wear it.

“I’s so proud of you darling. James will be the perfect husband after I saw how much work he did to put this together. Gosh, my little girl is all grown up.” He said quietly.

“Stop it Dad.” I begged. “You’re going to make me cry.”

“Don’t even think about crying or you’ll ruin the makeup and stain your face.” A voice said from behind me.

Spinning around I let out a squeak of surprise when I saw Lexi smiling at me. I went as fast as I could but the dress weighed me down. I wrapped my arms around her and choked back a sob. We pulled apart and she began to fan my face as I did some breathing exercises.

“Seriously, Layla, you’re not allowed to cry until you see Jimmy. God, he is so friggin’ nervous.” She giggled.

“I promise I won’t.” I laughed. “Oh my, Lexi, you look so gorgeous.”

“Jimmy picked out the colors for the wedding and he let me pick out the dress.”

“She’s right you do look hot.” Brian said as he came from behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. “I can’t wait to nail the maid of honor tonight.”

“Holy shit, you’re really my maid of honor?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, who else would do it? Fuck, we’re starting now. Here take these.” She said as she handed me a bouquet of flowers.

It seemed that Brian must be the best man because he and Lexi paired up in front of me and my dad. The violins started up and began to play the traditional song. Before they left Lexi turned around and gave me a wink. I forced a smile and watched as the two walked through the doors. It felt like I was going to throw up any second. My nerves were mounting and I didn’t think that I would be able to walk down the aisle without passing out.

“Ready sweetheart?” my dad asked as he took my arm in his.

I nodded my head but it wasn’t very convincing. It was like I was taking the plunge for the first time but I somehow forgot I was technically already married. The trumpet fanfare began and the double oak doors opened to reveal the ballroom inside. The place was gorgeous. The crystal chandelier that hung from the ceiling cast a warm yellow glow around the room. I was surprised to see the room was pretty full. Anyone that was associated with the band seemed to be here. Thor, Fred Archambault, Mudrock, Papa Gates, and basically everyone else. But there was only one person I was anxious to see and now that I was nearing the front of the ballroom he came into view. I laughed to myself when I saw what he had on. I told him one time that I thought he looked sexy in his suit from the Seize the Day video, and low and behold he was wearing it. He was biting his lip nervously but when he caught my gaze a grin broke out on his face from ear to ear. My eyes started to mist over as I got closer to the altar. There was no way that I was going to make it through the ceremony without crying. Jimmy stepped down from his spot and met us when we finally were at the front.

“Take care of my baby.” My father whispered.

“Always, Mr. Townsend.” Jimmy said back while shaking hands with him.

Jimmy held out his hand for me to take and I delicately laid my palm in his. Thank fully there was only one step for me to take because I was really having a hard time moving around in the dress. I stood opposite Jimmy and stared into his beautiful blue eyes. They were glistening with fresh tears and it was then that I let out my first sob of the evening. Jimmy’s thumb caressed my hand while I got myself under control. A man stepped out from behind a curtain and it took me a while for the person to register in my mind.

“Johnny?” I mouthed.

My brother gave me this crazy look and started talking to the congregation. “Well, as you all can tell, I am no priest. But on behalf of one of my best friends I took an online course and I am now registered to perform marriages.”

I let out a little giggle but Johnny frowned at me which stopped me immediately. “Anyway, I felt that this would be my way of giving my baby sister away and letting them both know that I trust their relationship. Friends and family, you are here tonight to witness the bond that Layla and James share. We are here to celebrate their union. It is now time for the vows. Also, this entire ceremony is a surprise for Layla so Jimmy didn’t bother with his vows at all. Get going hubby.”

Jimmy smiled at Johnny before looking back at me and taking a deep breath he started. “Layla Rose, from the moment I saw your unconscious form on your kitchen floor I knew you were the woman for me. You’re the first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see at night. You are constantly in my thoughts and will be forever. I don’t mean to steal Matt’s song but I give my heart to you. My heart is yours to keep and take care of and I know you will do wonders with it. I love you Layla. More than you can ever imagine.”

Tears were streaming down both our faces at this point. Neither of us could keep it in any longer.

“Layla, it’s your turn.” Johnny said to me.

“Jimmy, I-” a sob interrupted my words and the tears were crashing down around me. Jimmy brought his hand to my cheek and wiped the wetness from my face with his thumb. “James Owen Sullivan, I can’t believe you sometimes. There are times when I ask myself how you can stand me but then I just think about how I’m the only one who could tolerate you. You are my rock. You bring me comfort when nobody else can. You’re the reason I get up in the mornings. Jimmy, you are my everything. I can’t live without you. I love you Jimmy.”

Not once had the tears stopped since they had begun. I never knew it was possible to cry this much without being said.

“It’s time for the promises that you will make to each other. I had some fun with these. Now Jimmy, repeat after me please.” Johnny said.

After Johnny said his part Jimmy repeated it word for word with a smile on his face. “I, James Owen Sullivan, accept Layla in my life. I promise to help her get things from tall shelves and never make out with her in front of Johnny. I promise to love Layla for eternity.”

As Johnny asked me to say my promises I couldn’t help but stare in shock at the guy. I can’t believe he wanted me to say these things.

“Before she continues I’d like to add that Jimmy made all of these up.”

I rolled my eyes and began to recite the words. “I, Layla Rose Townsend, accept James in my life. I promise to give him endless back massages and to forget what my brother says from now on. I promise to love James for eternity and never stop being his groupie.”

Jimmy gave me a shit eating grin as I finished. Back massages my ass, that guy better rub my feet when I want. A few people in the crowd were still laughing and when it died down Johnny continued with the ceremony.

“Now for the fun part which will make Layla cry some more.” Johnny said while laughing at my expense.

“Can we have the rings please?” Johnny asked.

Brian stepped up and handed Johnny to pale blue boxes and I almost freaked out then. Every girl knows what to expect when they see that robin’s egg color. Tiffany’s.

“James, do you take Layla to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“Please put the ring on her finger.” Johnny ordered.

The ring was beautiful, just a plain platinum band with a single 2 karat diamond. It wasn’t going to weigh my hand down but it was definitely something that would get noticed. He quickly removed the old gold band from the Vegas wedding and replaced it with the two new rings. I was happy to see that Jimmy kept true to his word, even for something as little as this. It really gave me high hopes for the future.

“Layla, do you take James to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

“I do.” I said quietly for fear that my voice might falter. Johnny handed me the ring and after two tries of attempting to get the ring on his finger, Jimmy finally stepped in and helped to steady my trembling hand.

“By the power invested in me, thanks to that random website which let me download the certificate, and by the state of California in accordance with Illinois law, I now declare you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride and keep it PG Sullivans.”

Jimmy’s hands were also shaking when he reached up and put his hands on my cheeks. I could just barely make out the smile on his face through all the tears. Out lips met in a soft, but loving, kiss that I never wanted to end. We both lingered into the kiss and completely ignored the salty taste. The room behind was cheering grandly but I didn’t hear any of it. It’s like when your eardrums pop and everything is muffled. I had tunnel vision and the only thing in my sight was Jimmy. We pulled away from each other but our arms still remained around each other. Grasping his hand tightly I faced the front and started the walk back. With Jimmy at my side our friends and family began pelting us with little things that I couldn’t make out. By now we were out of the ballroom and I led him to a secluded area of the hall.

“What the hell were they throwing at us?” I asked as I turned the corner.

“Beer caps and guitar picks, it suited the ceremony.” He answered with a grin.

“God damn, I was seriously getting pissed at you all day! You didn’t have your phone on you, I didn’t get to spend the day with you, and I never got to see you before the show. Then I find out that you’ve been planning a wedding for me? Are you a figment of my imagination?”

“No darling, I’m yours forever and ever. We’re going to grow old together and raise a family and get our own house and lots of other things baby.” He said in an excited voice.

“God, I love you.” I whispered and shoved my lips on his. That last kiss could never have satisfied my craving for him. The only thing that kept me from getting closer to him was this damn dress. Don’t get me wrong, it was stunning, but damn it was big. Frustrated with my lack of intimacy, I pulled away and swatted at the dress angrily. I furrowed my brows at Jimmy as he started laughing at me.

“I knew you’d want something less poufy and more slimming. If we head upstairs I can help you into the other dress.” He said waggling his eyebrows.

The thought of Jimmy undressing me beat out the thought that another dress waited. Taking my hand in his he led me to the elevator where we went to the top floor, normally meant for suites. He took his sweet old time unclasping the dress because all the guests were in the middle of cocktail hour. A Vera Wang garment bag hung by the closet door and he went to retrieve it as I stepped out from the first dress.

“I hate to put this on you right now.” He grumbled as he unzipped the bag. “It’s like throwing a tarp over a work of art.”

“Hush now sweetheart, just remember that by putting this dress on you’re going to have to take it off.” I reassured seductively.

“Tell me about it. Lexi grabbed the La Perla bag from the bus. Let’s just say I took a sneak peak and I liked what I saw. There is no way I’m letting you get away without wearing that.”

I shook my head at his anxiousness to get back up here. He didn’t know that I had bought it with the same intention. I had Jimmy zip up the dress in the back and we then departed to have some fun with our family and friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, so i got a little overzealous with the links, but i like giving you visuals with the story. i also hope that you dont mind if the wedding takes up another update.
thanks for all the comments and giving me another 10 star story!

i love you guys!!!