Sequel: Union

Family Reunion

The Time Is Anytime Now

Billie Joe's cell phone went off again, it was the record company. He didn't pick up and a nurse told him cell phones had to be turned off in the hospital. He happily obliged to this rule.

An hour or so passed at the hospital and the doctor finally allowed Sarah's family to visit with her. She was conscious again and would be able to speak to them.

"Oh my god Sarah! How are you feeling?" her boyfriend exclaimed as he ran over to her bed side. Billie Joe and Adrienne followed into the room causiously.

"Hey. How am I feeling? Hmm... drugged," Sarah said.

"Aw, babe I'm sorry. But how did this happen?" Chris asked.

"Don't be sorry. The drugs are awesome..." Sarah quirked.

This made Billie Joe laugh, "Ah well I'm glad you're enjoying yourself."

"How did this happen?" Chris questioned his girlfriend again.

Sarah looked at her boyfriend and all she could say was, "Tré hurt me..."

"Yeah but why? What the hell were you doing at a hotel?" Chris asked. Sarah sat with a dumbstruck look on her face unable to find the words to explain. Chris already knew what the truth was by her silence. "Fuck... " he said in a low voice.

"I'm sorry," Sarah said and she lifted her hand to try and brush his cheek but he pushed her hand away.

"Fuck you..." he muttered. "The only reason I waited here was because I wanted to hear from your own mouth. But I didn't even fucking need that, it's written all over your face."

Chris stormed out of the room leaving Sarah with only Billie and Adrienne. "Damn it," Sarah said as she broke into tears.

"Sarah...no offense. But what the fuck were you doing with Tre?" Billie Joe asked.

"Fuck you Billie Joe. It's none of your fucking business!" Sarah snapped.

"Well fine...fuck you too," Billie Joe said and he left the room in a fit of rage.

Adrienne looked at Sarah nervously, uncomfortable to be the only one left in the room with her. "Ah...I need to go see if Billie's okay," Adie said then left the room. "Billie wait!" Adrienne called down the corridor like hall to her husband.

Billie Joe was so mad he didn't even want to look back at his wife. He was lost in his mind, feeling in one of his unexplainable moods. He was almost running but a stretcher was rushed faster down the hall towards him. Halting whilst paramedics were shouting orders at one another, the tiny frontman heard his shoes squeak on the freshly-polished floors.

"Shit, Rose you hang in there!" a man's voice echoed with so much charismatic empathy.

Billie Joe walked slowly now, stopping again when he caught sight of his best friend of twenty-three years. "What are you doing here man?" Billie asked as he ignored the passing stretcher.

"Rose...man...Rose," he chanted like a screwball, pointing at the stretcher.

"What? What the fuck's going on!?" Billie Joe yelled as he made chase after the paramedics. Mike followed Billie Joe and Adrienne stopped in her tracks and waited for Billie Joe to come back to her.

"Mike what are you doing here? Billie what's going on?" Adrienne inquired, suddenly finding herself needing answers.

"I have to go call Tré!" Mike said in the midsts of hefty gasps.

"Mike wait!" Billie Joe shouted. "Tell us what the fuck is going on first?"

"Well Rose...oh my god," Mike gasped, barely able to catch his breath. "I went to your house and there was no answer when I knocked the door so I-I let myself in. And I searched everywhere for her... fuck I've never been so freaked out," Mike said.

"Man come on get to the point!" Billie Joe demanded.

"She had the baby..." Mike finally said.

"What!?" Billie Joe shouted.

"Oh my god, she did?" Adrienne said covering her mouth.

"Fuck...all by herself?" Billie Joe asked.

"Yeah man. She was in the bathtub. I guess she was in too much pain to get to the phone. Fuck...I feel so bad for her," Mike said as his breathing started to return to normal.

Rose was rushed off into ICU. "Where's the baby?" Billie asked.

"I don't know. I saw a paramedic take him into another section of the ICU," Mike said.

"Him?" Adrienne asked with a smile on her face.

"Yeah...it's a boy," Mike replied, hardly feeling in the mood to elaborate on how wonderful it would be to add another male to the Green Day family.

Billie Joe's face lit up, "God that's awesome...but why did they take him into ICU as well?"

"He was having a hard time breathing; I guess being premature. And Rose, she was bleeding so badly. I didn't know what was going on when I first saw her. I thought she'd been stabbed or something. Jesus..." Mike gasped.

"Shit! When will things ever be uncomplicated!?" Billie Joe shouted.

"I have to go call Tré man..." Mike insisted and before Billie Joe had a chance to answer he took his cell phone out of his pocket and ran out of the commotion that had just taken place.

"Sir no running in the halls..." a nurse pleaded.

"What the fuck do you think the paramedics were just doing?" Mike said as he stopped and looked at his cell phone. He called his own house and anxiously waited for someone to pick up.

***

"Hmm...hello?" a tired sounding voice said on the other line. "What time is it?"

"Tré, man?" Mike said.

"Yeah huh?" Tré mumbled.

"Man get your ass down to the hospital right now!" Mike shouted with excitement.

"No way...I'm not fucking visiting Sarah," Tré said and he hung up.

"Fuck!" Mike shouted and he redialed his home phone.

"What!?" Tré answered again.

"Man, don't hang up. It's Rose..." Mike said.

"This is Rose? You sound an awful lot like Mike," Tré said, his usual sarcastic self even though dog-tired.

"No.... Yes it's Mike! But Rose is at the hospital man!"

"What?! Why?" Tré shouted in surprised excitement. Rose wasn't due for another month so it couldn't possibly be the baby, he thought.

"She had the baby Tré," Mike said in a softer voice.

"What? How?" Tré choked. "I mean...what? Fuck...you serious?" Tré questioned.

"Yes, I'm dead serious," Mike wallowed.

"Crap okay, I'll be there in a few minutes," Tré said and he hung up before another word was spoken. "Yes!" he shouted with excitement as he jumped up off the couch. He placed the cordless back down on the table beside the couch and rushed to get his shoes on. He rushed outside and for the first time since being arrested he realized he was with out his car. "Fuck!"

He rushed back inside and looked for a set of keys on Mike's key rack. He found the keys to Mike's old restored '73 Challenger and darted out the door and left the driveway in the vehicle at about the same speed.

***

"Billie, are you okay?" Adrienne asked her husband who stood with his head against the wall looking anguished.

"Yeah...I'm just stressed to the fucking max right now," Billie Joe answered and he sighed.

Shoes squeaked and squawked on the waxed floors, Mike came down the hall. "Tré's on his way down," he announced.

"Oh good..." Adrienne smiled.

"Yeah great..." Billie Joe said, bitterly biting his inner cheek, He hadn't seen Tré since finding out about Sarah and him. He wasn't exactly sure how he'd feel when he saw him. He just knew that this day should be special for Tré and he didn't want to spoil it at all, even if actions speak louder than words.

Adrienne rubbed her husband's back and kissed his cheek trying to relax him. "I sure hope the baby is okay. And Rose too for that matter. Just God...you are so lucky you didn't witness what I did," Mike said again.

"Yeah, I bet you were really freaked out," Billie Joe said as he pictured how he'd be if he had unexpectedly walked in on a woman in the midst of giving birth.

"Hand me that..." a faint voice was heard from a doctor who was tending to Rose inside the closed doors of the medical room where she had been taken.

"Yes doctor..."

"Man I've never felt as scared as I have in the last 24 hours. First it was Tré calling me up and saying, 'Oh Mike the cops are after me; I stabbed Sarah because she was blackmailing me into sleeping with her.' And then I walked in on Rose and..." Mike was cut off by Billie Joe.

"Blackmailing?" he said.

"Ah...oh..." Mike said as he realized he hadn't meant to tell Billie Joe what his friend had let him in on. He wanted Tré to be the one to do that.

"She was blackmailing him into sleeping with her?" Billie Joe asked again as he pulled his face up from the wall to look at Mike. Adrienne stood in silence with a shocked look on her face.

"Ah yeah...basically," Mike said.

"Oh...and how long have you known about this?" Billie Joe asked with some mild anger in his voice.

"Bill calm down...I just found out this morning," Mike said.

"Fuck...why wouldn't he say anything?" Billie asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because you beat the shit out of him when you found out about him and Rose," Mike suggested.

"Ah...yeah maybe," Billie Joe said as he recalled the instance.

'Excuse me, where can I find Rose Moore?' Billie Joe heard. He looked down the hall and down at the reception desk, stood Tré.

"Tré!" Mike called.

Tré turned his head and looked down the hall to see his friends. "Mike, man!" Tré called back. "Where the fuck is Rose?" he said as he hurried towards Mike. He slowed down once remembering that Billie Joe was probably aware of everything by now.

"Hi Tré..." Billie Joe said.

"Okay man, please don't kick my ass," Tré said holding his arms up in front of himself defensively.

"I'm not going to," Billie said calmly.

"You're not?" Tré said with a surprised tone. He still would not put down his arms.

"Nope..." Billie Joe said and he shook his head.

"Fuck...thank you," Tré said with relief as he lowered his arms. Billie Joe felt like being mean and venting off some steam so he purposely made a quick movement towards Tré just to give him a scare. "Ahh!" Tré screamed at about the same pitch Mrs. Doubtfire would.

Billie Joe started laughing his ass off, "Fuck man...you're too easy."

"Billie...I did cheat on your cousin and stab your other one. Why aren't you mad?" Tré asked.

"Because, I know how much you love Rose, Tré. And to be honest...I don't think there is any two people in the world who are so suited to each other quite like you two; except maybe me and Adie," Billie Joe laughed.

"What about Sarah?" Tré asked.

"What can I say...I hate the bitch," Billie Joe grinned.

"Oh...that's cold," Tré replied, an evil grin of his own forming quite nicely on his face.

"Yes...yes I am," Billie smiled.

"What if Rose doesn't want me back? I don't think she can possibly ever understand why things have turned out the way they have. I just love her so god damn much. I was drunk...I didn't know what I was doing," Tré blurted.

"It's okay man. Rose is my cousin, she's a denier but she's also a forgiver. She'll come around Tré; that I can guarantee. I just know how she feels about you; how she's always felt about you," Billie Joe said.

Tré nodded his head. "So yeah...where's Rose and the baby?" he asked with a smile on his face.

"They're in the ICU," Mike sighed.

"What? Why would they be in the ICU?" Tré asked.

"Oh yeah, I guess I never got a chance to tell you before you hung up on me," Mike said.

"What? Tell me what...what? What? What's wrong?" Tré asked getting excited and worried.

"Rose gave birth at Billie's place. I found her in the bathroom. She was hemmoriging everywhere man," Mike said.

"Fuck me..." Tré said as he turned around like he wanted to cry. He was silent for few moments before turning back quickly with a sigh, "How...how is the baby?"

"They took him into the ICU as well. I guess because he's premature. Mike said the paramedic said he was having breathing complications," Billie added. "None of us know for sure though."

"God, this can't be happening to me," Tré said. "I need to see them..."

"Tré, you know they won't let you," Mike said.

"But I gotta," Tré insisted and he tried to shove past Mike so that he could enter the ICU. Mike held him back. "I fucking gotta! Rose! Mike let me fucking go!" Tré shouted.

"Tré chill out just be patient. We're all feeling anxious and upset right now," Adrienne said.

"Fuck!" Tré shouted again and broke into tears. "Oh god...I can't lose her. I feel so horrible..." Tré said as he placed his face against the wall much like Billie Joe did.

Mike gave his friend a comforting hug. "It's okay man. It's okay..." he said.

A long time past in that hallway; how long can not be accounted for. It didn't even matter, because each minute felt like a year. Tré calmed down eventually and found himself a seat in a wheelchair that had been left in the hallway.

Billie Joe, Mike, and Adrienne all stayed by his side. "I should go call the babysitter and ask her if the boys can stay at her place longer..." Adrienne said as she started to walk away from the group of her family.

"Okay...hurry back," Billie sighed and then went back to staring into space.

"Fuck I can't take this..." Tré said as he jumped up from the wheelchair and started walking down the hall. He felt so angry at everything right now. The world, God, Sarah, but mostly he felt anger towards himself.

Another hour passed and still no word. Billie Joe was practically pulling his hair out. Tré had returned from wherever he had disappeared to in the first place. He wasn't surprised there were no new developments on Rose's or the baby's condition.

Mike was sitting in the wheelchair when he returned and he booted his ass out of it and sat back down. Mike didn't bitch too much about it, he knew Tré needed to sit down or else he might collapse.

"Anytime now..." Billie Joe said as he shifted his weight from leg to leg.