Sequel: Union

Family Reunion

The Month Isn't April

Mike strangely, nervous but also very confidently got up from the booth where he sat with Billie and Tre. He slowly approached the waitress whom was waiting on a man who had just come through the door.

He stood beside her for a few seconds, almost breathing down her neck. She kept looking aside at him while she poured the customers coffee. "Here you are sir..." she said as she placed it down on the counter in front of him.

"Thank you," the man said as he paid and quickly left.

"Ah... April is it?" Mike asked.

"Ah, yes," she smiled confidently.

"Yeah, I'm Mike Dirnt," Mike said.

"Yeah, I know," she smiled.

"Don't I know you from somewhere?" Mike asked.

"Umm... I don't think so," she replied.

"That's really odd. You really look a lot like this girl that was working in this bar down the street close to a year ago."

"Ah yeah, I had a job down there at one time," she said. "Ah, can you excuse me Mr. Dirnt? I need to go use the washroom."

"Ah...yeah I guess," Mike replied.

April took off to the bathroom and Mike turned to look at Tre and Billie. The two of them sighed in unison. "You got her right where you want her," Billie said.

"I thought I did too...then she ditched me for some stupid watches..." Tre said. "Oh well, I have Rose now and she's way better than that skank," Tre said and he looked down remembering him and his fiance had gotten in a fight.

"She's going to be fucking sorry," Billie added.

***

April looked at herself in the mirror as she propped one foot up on the toilet seat and drew back her sleeve past her elbow. From her purse she pulled a needle and some heroin.

"Fuck..." she sighed as the drug was injected into her bloodsteam.

She pulled her sleeve back down and looked herself in the mirror again. She sighed once again. This would make the long work day more bearable. Anything that went wrong today wouldn't faze her quite the same.

***

"Shut up, she's coming back out!" Mike said to Tre and Billie in the near dead cafe in the business month of February.

"Hey April..." Mike started again.

"Ah... Hi. Sorry about that..." she said.

"That's fine..." Mike said unobviously being sarcastic.

"You need another coffee?" April asked.

"No..." Mike said coldly.

"Okay..." April said ignoring his rudeness. "Would either of you like a refill on your drinks?" she asked as she looked over at Billie and Tre who still sat in the booth.

"No... We're good," Billie answered for both Tre and himself.

Mike was holding a ceramic coffee mug in his hand as he stood next to April. He decided to be a jerk and he 'accidently' dropped it. "Oh! How clumbsy of me!" Mike said in a fake voice.

"Oh! Here I'll get it," April responded. She leant down to pick up the broken pieces of ceramic before having a chance to put her purse back in the usual spot she left it while working.

Mike said nothing but had the biggest smile on his face as he watched her pick it up. Billie was giggling quietly, and Tre looked up and grinned slightly but just couldn't laugh.

As April bent down to pick up the broken coffee mug her purse turned upside down and out fell at least five needles. "Oh shit!" she said all of a sudden.

Mike looked down again. "What the fuck..." he said.

"Umm... Crap," April said as she quickly snatched them up and placed them back in her purse.

Mike kicked the broken ceramic across the floor in front of her, making her jump. "Why the fuck did you still my watches?!" Mike shouted all of a sudden, ignoring the fact that she was an obvious drug user.

She stood up quickly. "I'm sorry?!" she questioned.

"You know what I'm fucking talking about! Those were my fucking Rolex's!" Mike shouted.

"I... I don't know what you're talking about," April gasped.

"Fuck you, you drugged up lying skanky ass whore!" Mike raged.

"Holy shit! I'm sorry! I don't understand what I did wrong!" she gasped again as she jumped back from Mike.

Just then Tre got up from the booth unexpectedly. "I brought you to Mike's house, less than a year ago. You had just gotten fired from the bar down the street. You spent the night, we were all really drunk, and we woke up and you were no where in sight. And...Mike's watches were missing!" Tre explained.

"Holy fuck...I don't know what you guy's are talking about," she said shaking her head.

"Don't play fucking innocent!" Mike shouted.

"If I did that I'm sorry...I really have no memory of it. I have an expensive habit. I've always wondered all these months where the hell I got that $450,000 from. It went fast..." the woman trailed off.

"You sold my Rolexes?!" Mike shouted. A vein in his neck was about to burst at any moment now.

"I...I don't know," April started crying. "I'm high right now. Please chill out, I can't think..."

"Mike calm down," Billie said as he got up from the booth.

"Well I'm sorry...That REALLY REALLY pisses me off!" Mike said.

"Yeah, but just don't yell at her anymore. She's obviously fucked in the head," Billie said kindly.

April looked at Billie as she wiped her eyes. She couldn't disapprove of his understanding comments. "I'm so sorry...I'm so addicted... Plus I have to feed my kid. It's all my ex-husband's fault. He was so abusive to me all the time. I just turned to drugs to numb all the beatings, and all the nasty words. And then he left me...and I'm still addicted."

Mike listened to her story and all of a sudden a great sense of guilt came over him. "Fuck..." he sighed and he turned around and left the cafe to go back out to his car.

"I'm sorry April..." Tre said and then went out to join Mike in his BMW.

Billie looked at April and lifted his eyebrows nervously. "Mike's just really steamed right now. You're not fired..." he assured her and then walked out of the cafe himself.

He walked over to Mike's BMW and tapped on the drivers side window. Mike opened it but just stared straight ahead in anger. "What!?" Mike snarled.

"Ah...after you get over yourself...back to our plan with Sarah," Billie reminded him.

"Let's do it quickly!" Tre said as he looked past Mike at Billie leaning in the window.

"Now or never..." Billie said.