Status: 1/1

This Is All I Ever Want From You

# # #

I woke up in the morning, so very early this one morning.

It was newborn light only just making it through the curtains and the dew was fresh on the grass outside.

I look over, and there you are, sprawled over the other side of the bed. I chuckled, ruffling my hair with one hand and smiling at the feeling of it needing washed. You stayed the night again, after my mouth had met yours and we made slow passionate love in my bed, in this bed, our sweat mixing together and staining the sheets with a euphoric memory.

You clung onto my biceps as I pushed you over the edge, and your cry of, "Alex!" was enough to bring me with you.

And then you slept. We both did, very quickly, sleep pulling us under to the bottom of its dark waters, only allowing us to surface when our dreams were outplayed.

I woke up to a better dream, a dream come true. My Jack.

Your breathing is soft and there's a tiny smile playing on your lips, your hair in disarray around your head. We had started out our sleep with legs entwined and fingers locked together but you're so restless in the night, mumbling and switching position so often that it's just safer for us both if you have one side of the mattress alone for a few hours.

I was watching you, my mouth stretched wide and toothy, when you moved again, rolling into me and burying your face in my neck. Your arm goes over my bare chest, cuddling me tightly and your breathing deepens for a moment as you sigh, happiness reaching you even in the most faraway confines of sleep.

You nuzzle the crook of my shoulder, and I don't realise I'm laughing softly until you shift awake, mumbling against my skin.

"I'm tired."

"It's early."

"I'm so tired," you punctuate your sentence with a long yawn.

"Go back to sleep," I whisper, and I kiss your hair until you do so.

This is all I ever want from you.

I am looking out the gap in the curtains into the beautiful stillness of dawn when I notice that, everything comes together eventually.

The trees and their leaves greet each other in the spring time, and on days when the clouds are watercolour grey, the rain meets the ground.

Mothers meet their babies after they have worked so hard to bring them into this world.

Birds meet the sky.

My mouth meets yours.

And then there's a grin on my face and a quivering excitement igniting my entire being, only increasing as I shake your shoulder, rousing you from your sleep.

"Lex," you whine. "Early."

"Will you move in with me?"

You blink a few times, pupils adjusting to the dim light. My startled deer.

"...What?"

"Move in with me here. I want to wake up every day like this, with the whole day ahead and you dreaming beside me," I said, my eyes bright.

You're still too tired to process this. I'm sorry.

"I'd live with you?"

"Yes, Jack! With me, sleeping in my bed, and I'll kiss you good morning and we can lie in our underwear all day, eating cereal and watching sitcoms."

You lie there and stare at me, seemingly pondering how it would be to wake up and see my face every single day. Just as I am starting to think you won't want to spend your life going to sleep beside me and then still waking to the same person, you throw yourself forward, arms going around my neck in a choke-hold.

"You can't take that back now, I live here, I live with Alex!" is all I can hear, all I can see, all I can taste.

Your laughter is ringing through my room, my room of dim light and the wonder that happens between us and my sheets.

I laugh too and cling on tight, each fingertip massaging separate circles into your spine and feeling all the bumps, each ridge of bone that I will know by heart when I am on my deathbed.

"I was always hoping you'd ask me this," I hear you admit softly, into the skin of my shoulder.

"Everything comes together eventually," I say, much the way our eyes do right then, and I know that you are mine and only mine.

My mouth meets yours.