‹ Prequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: Active and being updated when we can. (This is the fourth part in the series.)

Misplaced Words

News To Me

“I’ll catch up with you later,” I shout out to my friend, Chanel.

I march away from the music department, ready to chow down on whatever tonight’s menu holds. I’ve gotten awfully hungry in the last two hours; I thought I was going to pass out. I loosen my hair from its ponytail and shake it free; man, did that dance class gave me a headache. Earlier, Ciara really was pushing us to get our routine down for the upcoming show at the end of autumn. Normally, it’s not much of a task to get my rhythm going. However, I knew if I was going to beat out any competition in my first year, especially my target, Ally, I have to do more than ‘exceptional’. I need to be perfect.

I make it to the cafeteria in one piece before slumping into a seat next to Kellin. He gave me a quick smile before going back to his conversation with a practically glowing Lizzy. My goodness is she perfect. I can’t believe she isn’t more recognized than she already is. I mean, she will, soon enough, now that she’s been casted as Mary-Jane in the upcoming Amazing Spiderman movie. This will finally be her big break, and I will be there to snap her pictures on the premiere day. That is, if she invites me, which, of course she will. Why wouldn’t she? Oh, it’s going to be awesome.

I noticed she’s gotten really close to Kellin these past few weeks, and I mean really close. In all aspects possible. Not that I think Lizzy can’t get any man she wanted with the snap of her fingers, but she seems to move on quickly. Whatever, not going to judge her. Her personal life does not interfere with her talent, obviously.

I place my order with the waiter and shoo him away so that I could get the chance to engage in
some conversation before the topic changes. Currently, some people were talking about the show, and I had something to say.

“They seem to be adding new shows every year,” Jaime says in between chewing his fries, “probably just more opportunities for the students to get out there.”

“Yeah,” I butt in, “it’s a good idea if you ask me. This gives people more routes into getting picked up by scouts.”

“You ready for your first show, Kari?” Gabe speaks up from the other side of the table.

“Um, duhh. I’ve been waiting forever for this kind of thing to happen. I want the day to be here already. I’m totally going to show up Ally and laugh in her face!” I say this, a little too excitedly causing me get a few weird glances my way. “Just kidding,” I giggle, “just a little friendly competition,” I say, picking up the cup of Sprite the waiter just put down for me.

People shrug my outburst off and continue the conversation. They didn’t really seem to mind, especially since she’s nowhere to be seen. It’s like this every day though. She rushes out to find her boyfriend or she’s there waiting for her in front of the building. It’s such a waste of time and energy; she doesn't seem to handle a relationship as well as Lizzy can. Plus, she seems like she’s on edge in class: always anxious to get out, pretty quiet when it comes to participation. Oh, and it only gets better when we break off into our groups for the project. Jerry will be strumming away at his guitar, counting her in several times, but she’ll just mess up and start over. Just the other day, her voice cracked. HA! I wanted to clap, but I contained myself and allowed for her to recollect before taking over with my own powerful voice. Ally isn’t the only who can sing, I don’t know why they make such a big deal of it in class.

Tsk tsk, Ally. Now is not the time to be slacking off.

I eagerly bite into my double cheese burger and sigh of happiness – this had made my day. I try to get it out the way though - I’ve been meaning to talk to Lizzy and I don’t want to miss my chance.

“Hey, um, Lizzy?”

“Yes?” She looks away from Kellin’s eyes to face me.

“I was wondering if you were free on Friday. I thought we could hang out or something.”

She looks to Kellin whom gives her a reassuring nod. “Sure, sounds fine to me. What did you have in mind?”

“Well, it’s up to you,” I say nonchalantly while dying inside, “whatever is fine with me.”

“Okay then, it’s a date. I’ll take my number one fan to see a play, then we can go to the carnival, how does that sound?”

Amazing, actually. “Great,” I smile, “that sounds great.”

“Don’t go stealing my wife now, Kar,” Kellin chimes in, pecking her on the cheek.

“Oh, I would never,” I mock gasp and give him a mischievous look.

Lizzy laughs and compliments my smile. Please, Kellin. I am not competing for your wife’s affection; it seems I already have her attention anyway. Easing my way into her life will be a piece of cake. I just want us to be friends so badly.

After an eventful dinner, I end up in my room, ready for a quick over-the-phone study-session with Chanel. We really hit it off after my first day of music class. She said my voice was amazing; I freaked over her base-playing skills, and thus began a beautiful friendship.

“Hey,” she says upon answering the phone, “I was wondering if you had any idea what tomorrow’s assignment is, because I did not hear a thing.”

“Yup,” I say, taking out my planner, “You know I’ve got this stuff on lock. If I want to make it to the top five, I have to be on my best behavior.”

“That’s right,” she says in a sing-song voice, “just making sure. I have my assignment. Mrs. Brown was just hard to understand today.”

“Tell me about it,” I roll my eyes, just imaging the hard time she must have given her husband after returning home today. Let’s just say, our class wasn’t so hot today. “Anyway, before we start, what was it that you wanted to tell me earlier?”

“Oh yeah,” she says, biting on something. Her pen most likely, that’s a habit of hers. “During her first year here,” she starts, referring to Aaliyah, “I sat behind her. I thought we would be friends, but things didn’t work out the way I’d hoped. She was always too boy crazy, jumping from one guy to the next, and you know how I am when it comes to guys.” Yes, I did. She said they had no place in her career. If she chose to settle down sometime when she was older, that’s another story. Otherwise, she wants nothing to do with them. “You know how dangerous they can be. They invade your mind and you can’t get rid of them. Anyway, she wasn’t even on campus last year.”

“What?” I sit up. This, I have to hear. “What do you mean?”

“She left,” Chanel states curtly, “there was a whole bunch of drama with this stalker who attacked her boyfriend at the time and Elizabeth’s as well. A bunch of dance majors were involved, and they got kicked out. On top of that, headmaster made her go to a regular school just to make sure she would be okay…”

“Wow,” I smirk, “this girl has quite the history.” I drum my fingers on the desk and sigh, “I mean, I wonder why it is that she got into this kind of trouble.”

“I’m telling you, it’s those pesky boys.”

“Yeah, uhuh. Anyway,” I pull my notebook out of my book bag, “who was this boy of her’s at the time?”

“Jack, from music class.”

“Whoa, seriously?” I can’t believe Jack, sweet old funny Jack, would go out with a girl with that much drama in her life. “Wait a minute; he got attacked, for her? How dare she get him into trouble!”

“I didn’t know you two were close,” she says suspiciously.

“Duhh, he’s in the same band as my cousin,” I roll my eyes. “Keep up, Chanel.”

“Right, well yeah. He looked pretty bad too. Oh, I’m talking too much again, let’s get to work.”

“Hm? Oh yeah, homework.” I couldn’t concentrate on my work now, I had all this information running through my head; and to think this isn’t even the half of it. I wonder how she knows so much. Whatever, I hope I can work with whatever she gives me. “Let’s get this over with.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, she's ready to pretty much ruin Ally's life...WELL DESERVED. I mean, oh noooooo.
-K_K