‹ Prequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: Active and being updated when we can. (This is the fourth part in the series.)

Misplaced Words

Kari v. Ally

I was stoked when I came into music today; there was a sub. Not just any sub though - a sub who let us kick back and have some down time. We had to be civil, of course, but it’s not like we we’re going to run wild and set things on fire, anyway.

I took this opportunity to cram on my biology notes; we had a test this afternoon and I wanted to make sure I could get as much studying in as I could until then. It’s hard to study though with all the voices coming from the main classroom. As soon as the sub stepped out to the bathroom, all hell broke loose. People turned their amps up a little louder than usually and messed with their effects all at the same time, while the only violinist in the class joined in and made some horror movie-like screeches with the strings. All of a sudden the instruments stopped and were replaced with voices, but only two. My curiosity gets the better of me and I surrender, sliding out of my seat and walking into the class. To my surprise, Kari is the one creating a scene. At first I stand back quietly to figure out what is going on.

I see her towards the far end of the classroom, towering over Ally’s desk like she’s some kind of lower being.

“If you’re so sure, say it. Out loud.”

I couldn’t see her face, but from her tone, I could tell she was irritated.

Ally stammers, “I-”

“Oh no, honey,” Kari wags a finger in Ally’s face. “That’s too easy. Say it to his face, I dare you.”

Ally’s look of dismay quickly turns to a fierce glare. She gets to her feet, places a hand on her hip and stares my cousin down, being a few inches taller than her and all. If Ally were a boy, she’d be squaring her shoulder right now.

“I don’t need this, you are not going to humiliate me.”

Is it bad that I’m too interested in what’s going on to actually stop this? I mean, I’m not the only one, obviously.

Despite the fact that she backed up a little, Kari still matched Ally’s tone. “You don’t need me to do that for you, Ally,” she hissed. “You’ve out done yourself there, plenty of times.”

“I refuse to stoop to your level.” Ally crossed her arms and looked my cousin up and down. She sighed and rolled her eyes, “Back off Kari, you don’t even know me.”

I could tell Kari was taken off guard by Ally’s comment on her ‘level.’ She backed up a bit more, but still wanted to have the last input. “I know enough.”

“Alright guys,” I finally stepped in, “let’s play nice.” I approached the girls and put my arm around Kari’s shoulder, “you’re coming with me.”

“But-”

“No,” I cut her off, looking down at her, “I don’t want to hear it.”

I quickly glanced at Ally and she dropped her arms to her sides, “I need some air.”

Instead of rushing out like anyone would expect her to, she calmly grabbed her bag and made her way out the door, not even looking back. I turn to head back to the smaller room, greeted by staring faces. They looked away, getting back to their conversations, now with something new to talk about. I dragged Kari through the desks and finally to the room, and I closed the door. I let go of her, got back to my sat and rubbed a hand over my face,

“Okay, I don’t know what happened out there, but I’m sure it was unnecessary.”

“She started it,” Kari shot back as soon as I had shut my mouth.

“Okay, what did she do?”

“Well,” she looked around the room, stomped a foot. “she’s a bad person, I just feel like someone should put her in her place.”

“What are you talking about?” Ally is known to be the hothead ready to blow at any given moment, but I have to give her credit; lately she’s been under the radar. It’s hard not to notice the big change. Lizzy mentioned once it might be that boyfriend of hers, he must be working some kind of magic if he’s able to contain such a compulsive girl. I pause when I hear a guitar fire up in the next room, listening on for a second before returning to my thought. I shook my head, “what is your damage?”

“It’s just that I heard all the drama she’s put everyone through, especially her sister, and it not fair-”

“Okay, I get it, but that’s in the past,” I cut her off, “she’s actually been cleaning up her act. Last I heard, she and Lizzy made up, which is none of your business by the way.” I sighed. “What do you care, anyway? You act like she’s the only person who’s messed up on this campus.”

Kari scoffed, “look at you, being all mature.” She crossed her arms, “since when were you her lawyer?” She blew a piece of hair out of her face, “I plan to get to the top five of the music program, and if I can get her out of the way, then so be it, all means necessary.”

Kari’s attitude didn’t faze me; since we had spent so much time together growing up, she was like my annoying little sister. She’s never talked to me like this before though.

“I just think she should be given a fair chance. I don’t know what she’s going through right now, but she looks like she’s changing, for the better. And she’s right, you don’t know her. Why don’t you focus on your work instead of picking a fight. I know this isn’t the first time, either. Do you want me to tell aunt Lizzette the latest?”

Just like that, all her defences fall.

“N-no.” she looked away, her voice softening, “you don’t need to drag mom into this.”

“Alright, then suck it up and do things the old fashioned way, If you want to get to the top five, work for it.”

She rolled her eyes playfully. “Yeah, whatever. Hug?”

I groaned and got up, then embraced her. She tried pulling away after a few seconds but I tightened my grip and gave her a noogie before she could wiggle her way out of my arms.

“Now get out of here, I’ve got some studying to do.”

“Kay,” she said, practically bursting out the door.

I chuckle to myself, that girl can get crazy sometimes. I get back to my seat, ready to study. Not really, but I have to if I want to ace this biology exam. That’s when I notice the strumming again, softer this time. It’s as if it followed the mood of the past conversation; hard and steady when I was arguing with Kari, now soft and fast since things have calmed down. Before I could convince myself otherwise, I was already out the door towards the source. I spot Vic huddled in a corner with his notebook, raggedy and all but holding his prize possessions, his music. He wasn’t exactly my first suspect towards the music, but it’s suspected, he’s always experimenting, and especially the closer he gets to shipping off to Warped Tour. I didn’t feel like stopping his process so I just lean on the door frame and looked over to where Mike was working on his paradiddles.

Vic started to sing, and I had to strain to hear him:

“You say, ‘we’re better off that way’, now I saw the moon divorce the sky, is this what it’s like?”

He ended the song with a quick strum and started to scrawl in his notebook some more, so I stepped back into the room. I don’t know who or what the song was about yet, but I guess I’d find out soon enough. The guy’s life is pretty jacked up, maybe he’ll be more at ease once he’s out of here, he’ll be away from MJ academy and the drama that’s seemed to have followed him since he’s gotten here.
♠ ♠ ♠
New P.O.V!! Wow, we haven't updated in like 8 months. Hope you guys like it, we should be updating more soon. ;)
-K_K