‹ Prequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: Active and being updated when we can. (This is the fourth part in the series.)

Misplaced Words

Troublemaker

I can’t believe Gabe didn’t freaking tell me that Ally would be here. Like, who invited her? Better yet, who even wants her here? I know she hasn’t been hanging out with these people in a while so why start now?

“This place looks so cool,” she practically squeals and looks up at her boyfriend.

“This place looks so cool,” I sneer under my breath.

“Be nice,” Gabe whispers to me and squeeze my arm.

I swat his hand away and sigh. This is going to be a long night.

After we all pile into a corner of the lounge, I spot Jack and Tania standing by the bar. I rush over to them and embrace them both, smiling ear to ear.

“Congratulations you guys!!” I hug them both, “it must feel awesome to get your career officially started on your own.” I pull back from them, particularly louder so Ally could hear me, “and nice to get away from some drama-prone students in this school,” I smile.

“Uh, yeah,” Jack gives me a confused smile then looks at Tania, “that’s kind of funny since my wife is a drama student and all.”

She giggles and smacks his arm lightly. Idiot, I wasn’t talking about Tania.

“Sure,” I mutter then walk back to the group. I plant myself at the edge of one of the booths, right next to Kellin.

“Hey Kellin,” I smile and hug his arm, “tonight is going to be so much fun.” I look up at him, “we should sing a duet! Like old times,” I bat my lashes.

“Yeah sure,” he laughs and squeezes my cheek.

My face flushes and I look away. I didn’t think my crush on him was a big deal until I started coming to this school. I mean, back when I used to hang out with the guys I had a little thing for him. I thought he was cute and all but he got on my nerves a lot so it kind of subsided whatever I felt for him. Now he’s older, with a career, and not to mention he’s gotten hotter. I know he’s with Lizzy, and they’re the perfect star couple. No matter how much I tell myself that he’s with her, I still wished he could be free and playful as before. Or that he could be with me. Now he’s just so into his wife. Again, not a bad thing.

“That’s cute,” Ally chimes in, leaning on Aiden’s shoulder, “maybe we could do one too, Liz?”

“Of course!” Lizzy beams, “we can show our men what we’ve got on stage, together.”

They giggle then fall into conversation and again U feel left out. How could Lizzy be so laid back with her sister after all that’s she’s done. I guess it makes sense a little since Lizzy is perfect so she could find it in her heart to forgive her ‘dear’ little sister but come on! I could be a better little sister if she wanted me to.

I roll my eyes and walk over to the song book, searching through the pages for a good one. I find my anthem almost half way through the book, I have to sing this song! I skip over to the MC and put in my song request, excited to show my talent to every single person in this lounge.

I sit back at the table, patiently waiting for my name to be called. Some appetizers are passed around and Ally hogs most of it. Some of the friends in the group find it amusing but I do not. ‘Keep eating like that’, I think to myself. That’s probably why she’s gained so much weight these past few weeks. The only thing that sucks is that it actually doesn’t look bad on her. If anything, it’s attracting more attention to herself because of how nicely her body carries it. It’s so frustrating! Not to mention how she’s been regaining her confidence in class. I had to admit she kind of blew me away for her solo performance for the Breast Cancer show. Just when I thought things were going to be easy. She’s too close to moving up on the top five in music, and I can’t let that happen. Once PTV leaves, she’s moving up, for sure. That only means that I’ll be moving in soon. Mrs. Jones has been complimenting my work ever since I’ve started class, so that has to mean something, right?

I absently pick at a fry when I hear my name being called. Finally!

“Get up there, my little rockstar,” Kellin says, shoving me slightly out of the booth.

I get a boost of confidence and march up to the stage, fixing the mic stand so that my mouth is aligned with the mic. The beat kicks in and I do a little shoulder-rocking.

“My name is Kari, I’m so very, fly, oh my, it’s a little bit scary.”

I sing into the mic, shift the mic stand from side to side as I dance a bit. This song is just so fun and gets me so pumped, it’s a perfect song to start up the night.

By the time the chorus comes around most of the people here are up and dancing to the beat, laughing their butts off. The girls in the group form a line in front of the guys and do the choreography from the video, attracting other people’s attention as the guys cheer them on. A flash of jealousy comes over me - I should be included. Whatever, I’m the on putting on the real show.

“Now do the pretty girl rock.”

I remove the mic from the stand and dance along to the choreography. I let loose and walk off of the stage, enticing the audience to dance and sing along with me. I get the sudden urge to walk over to the group. I find myself making my way towards Aiden, catching his attention.

“Girls think I’m conceited ‘cause I know I’m attractive, don’t worry about what I think, why don’t you ask him,” I say, and give him a quick wink before turning on my heels and walking back to the stage.

That’ll show her how it feels to have your man’s attention on someone else. I’m back on stage now, pushing the mic back into the stand and more than half way through the song. I look over the crowd, and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Except for a noticeably pissed-off Ally. I mentally give myself a high five. I finish off the song and bow while the audience gives me a well-deserved applause. I’m beaming as I make my way through the people, thanking them for their compliments, then sitting back in my spot at the booth.

“So Kellin,” I blush, “what did you think about my performance?”

“You were great up there! Way better than before.”

“Really? Oh Kellin, stop it,” I giggle and smack his arm.

He jumps a bit in his seat and looks at Lizzy.

“Yeah Kellin,” she smiles and tilts her head a bit, “stop it.”

He gives her a grin and whispers something in her ear. I roll my eyes and look ahead to the stage. There’s a group of rowdy guys moving towards the front and one gets pushed towards the MC. He starts talking to him, and pointing at his group of friends as they laugh. Then he hands him a CD.

“Wait a minute,” Jesse says, leaning over the table.

Jaime narrows his eyes, “Is that-”

“No way,” Ally groans. “Liz, check out who’s here.”

Lizzy and Kellin look up as the MC grabs hold of the mic.

“Yo, how y’all doin’ out here tonight?” The crowd responds with a cheer and light clapping. After they settle down he speaks up, “so y’all are in for a treat tonight. A good friend of mine is here to perform an original. This is a dare from his boys so be easy on him, alright?” The crowd cheers and this ‘original’ friend of his steps up to the mic. “Give it up for my boy, Max!”

“Of all nights,” Ally says under her breath.

He steps up to the mic, confidence just oozing from him.

“Let’s get this started baby,” he says into the mic and laughs before the music starts.

His friends cheer along to the music and you can tell he’s getting pumped.

“You’re dripping fire tonight, you’re like a miracle, you got me feeling so, ah ah ah, hey hey, hey, hey..”

He starts to make his way off the stage, enticing the crowd to keep all eyes on him. It’s a smooth beat, complimented by his sexy voice.

“Girl you’re all the rage, so can we turn the page.”

He looks out over the crowd and his eyes widen a bit when he sees our table. A mischievous grin spreads on his and I straighten my back. He’s coming closer! Oh my gosh this guy is totally hot.

“Tell me a little something, little more than just your name.”

Just when I think he’s headed my way, he turns to face Ally! How typical! I huff so hard my bangs blow out of my face, but no one hears me because of the music. He steps up on the table in front of her, and squats so that he’s nearly eye level.

“I don’t bite, but I heard you might,” He gets real close to her face, and she ducks away from him, “so let me feed your appetite.” He stands and literally backflips off of the table. How awesome is this guy?

“Where do we go from here?”

I practically melt when he hits that high note and I’m sure he can tell from my face because he winks at me before the next line. I can tell this guy is trouble, and I just love his confidence.

He ends the song with a little dance with his boys and the audience erupts into shouts and applause. He did really good for performing an original, as if this was his own concert and we were a bunch of fans. I have to talk to him or it’ll bother me for who knows how long.

I excuse myself from the table and walk over to his. His friends are high fiving him and complimenting him and he’s shrugging nonchalantly. I tap his shoulder and he perks up when he turns to see me.

“Hello,” he smiles, heart-meltingly.

“Max, right? Your song is awesome,” I smile wider, “and your voice is, wow!”

“Haha, thanks. You’re the one who did the first song, right? What’s your name?”

“Kari,” I giggle, pushing some hair behind my ear.

“Well Kari, I think you picked the right song for you,” he smirks, looking me up and down.

I blush under his gaze and shake my head, “um, have you heard of MJA? I go there, I’m a freshman. Maybe you should audition? I mean, if you’re looking for a career in the-”

“Kari? What are you doing here?”

Gabe grabs my arm and pulls me away without even letting me get a word in.

“What the-Hey, let go!”

He drops my arm when we get to the table and crosses his arms, “why were you talking to that guy? You don’t even know who he is?”

“How am I supposed to get to know him unless I talk to him?” Now it’s my turn to cross my arms, “And what’s the big deal? I’m seventeen, I can talk to guys if I want.”

“No, Kari,” Lizzy speaks up, “he’s not the kind of guy you want to be interested in.” She has a serious look on her face, “Just listen to us and don’t talk to him.”

I sigh and look back in his direction, then back at Lizzy, “Fine.”

“Great,” Gabe ruffles my hair, “now sit and eat.”

I roll my eyes and take a seat across from Lizzy since there was no space next to Kellin anymore. I grab a cup of soda and sip on the straw, leaning my head on my hand. This is such a drag; they won’t even tell me why I can’t talk to him. Just look at him! And his voice! Ugh. I bet they don’t even know him like that. How would they? He doesn’t come to our school.

“Sorry guys, I gotta go pee,” Ally says, leaning over her sister to get out of the booth.

“Ally,” Aiden says a little too sternly, grabbing her hand before she leaves. “Ladies don’t say ‘I gotta go pee,’ especially not in front of other people.”

He lets go of her hand and she playfully rolls her eyes.

“Scusami, I must use the bagno,” she says, a sly smile on her face.

She flips her hair over her shoulder before walking away. Aiden leans back, pressing his temples with his fingertips.

“You’ve got quite the girl in your hands,” I say, taking a sip of my soda.

“Yes,” he chuckles, “my girl is something.”

“What you said is true though.” I look up at him and smirk, “Proper ladies don’t just throw around the word ‘pee,’ it’s just not, what’s the word I’m looking for? Mature.” He takes a gulp of his water and eyes me. “I mean, what business would a mature man like you, with so much focus on your career, want to do with a ditz like her?”

“My Aaliyah has a few things to straighten out, but I wouldn’t call her a ditz,” he says with a little edge in his voice. He looks up to see Ally walking back towards us and loosens up, “you have no business being judgmental of her, wait-lister.”

I gasp and turn away as Ally shoves herself back into her spot.

“There was no toilet paper, how unprofessional.” She leans her head on Aiden’s shoulder, “I’ll just hold it a bit longer until they notice and replace it.”

“Why don’t you just go ask them about it?” I butt in, “be an adult,” I mutter.

“Excuse me?” She raises an eyebrow, “was I talking to you?”

“Well no, I guess not,” I roll my eyes. “Aiden was, though?”

She looks at Aiden, “really? what were you guys talking about?”

“Well-” he starts to say but I interrupt.

“About how immature you can be,” I smirk.

She widens her eyes and bites her lip. “Oh. Okay. So I’m immature, huh?” She stands up and grabs my cup, left with only ice, “I can be immature, if you really want.” She pulls Aiden’s shirt and pours the ice in, then turns to me, a finger in my face. “Quit talking to my boyfriend, I can lose my temper if I have to,” she says in a hushed tone.

She walks away and sits all the way at the end of the group where I was sitting, next to Kellin, Great. Ally lost some of her cool, so in the end, I win. Now I’ll just top the night off and sneak my number to Max. I don’t care what these people have to say, I can figure things out on my own, even if that means I make a few enemies on the way. That’s what maturity is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kari is stirring up some drama.
-K_K