‹ Prequel: Dizzy Hurricane
Status: Active and being updated when we can. (This is the fourth part in the series.)

Misplaced Words

My Name is Kari

My toes wiggle free in the grass as I stretch my arms out in front of me. This really is a beautiful campus; large wooded and grassy areas, plenty of hangout spots, plus some great restaurants. Not to mention the great rooms. My room looks almost like the one I have back home in San Francisco, but not quite. The small student body is nothing to be compared to; these people have some serious talent. It’s only my third day here and I already feel like I’m in the cast of FAME. So what I only got in because someone got kicked out, I am in the cast for a reason; I’ve got something up my sleeve as well, and I’m not afraid to show it.

“Hey Kari!”

I look up and notice Gabriel jogging my way, waving his hand like a maniac.

“Hey,” I call out as I stand to my feet.

“I’m so glad you could get in,” he says giving me a quick embrace, “I knew my little cousin had something in her.”

I laugh, “thanks, I just can’t wait until classes start. I’m ready to blow everyone away.”

“Aww, that’s cute,” he says scuffing up my hair.

It’s not cute. I’m seventeen. Come on.

“I’m hungry,” I say crossing my arms, “you had me waiting out here for half an hour.” Not that I mind, because like I said before, it’s a nice campus. Still, I don’t like waiting. I slip on my flats and pull my hair up into a ponytail, “Are you ready to show me around?”

“Yeah, sorry about that. My friends are over at the dining hall; we can grab something to eat and I’ll introduce you to them.”

I roll my eyes and follow him as he starts to walk away. I’m not here to meet your friends, I want to say, I’m here to build my career

I ogle at the students we pass by, some writing, some playing instruments, others improvising or stretching across the field. This place is awesome! I really can’t wait for classes to start. I’ve been working on technique since I’ve popped out of my mother’s womb, I was meant to be in this school. Since the headmaster (whom is Justin Timberlake, so exciting!) explained to us newcomers, the both of us, what the concept of the top five of each major is, I’m determined to push and shove my way to the top, no matter what it takes. He said a few freshmen in the past have done it, so it is possible, but difficult. I know one of those students is Elizabeth Leon, and I can’t wait to meet her. She is the only friend of Gabe that I’m remotely interested in getting to know. I’ve seen bits and pieces of her work that I’ve searched for intently on the internet, and ever since Gabe mentioned that he knew her, I couldn’t help but scream of joy. Now here I am, at Michael Jackson Academy, about to meet rising star Liza Leon. That’s my stage name for her. It’s weird but I don’t care, no one else knows about it, plus I’m sure other people call her that, so at the same time I’m not alone on this.

We finally get to the dining hall, cleverly named Menus. It's just a fancy cafeteria, where he leads me to a table with a large diverse looking group. Gabe leads me to the head of the table and calls the attention of his friends. They're too loud to notice us, so I clear my throat obnoxiously which jerks their heads in our direction. I smile and give my big cousin the spotlight.

“Hey guys, so a few of you heard that my cousin auditioned for this school and she made the wait list but with what's her face gone, well she is in now. Uh…yeah, anyway, here she is.”

A few of them say hi then go back to what they were doing. So rude. Whatever. I’m here for the food and Elizabeth. I spot her wild ash brown curls at the end of the table and feel my stomach tie in knots. Now is not the time to get nervous, I tell myself. I absently pat Gabe on the shoulder and march over to Elizabeth confidently. A boy with a hat has his arm around her shoulder, and I vaguely remember seeing a picture of him on Gabe’s facebook wall. He’s in a band or something. Not important. I tap her on the shoulder and she turns, flashing me a big smile.

“Hi, you must be Kari, Gabe told us about you,” she says.

I extend my arm and give her a polite smile, “it’s nice to meet you. I’m a big fan. Well I know you’re not much out in the public yet, but trust me, you will be soon.” She lets go of my hand and gives me a weird look. “Oh, I’ve seen some stuff on the internet, and I knew you would succeed, you’re one of my inspirations actually. Soon, when your fan base develops, remember that I’m the one who was there from the start.”

I smile triumphantly and look around at her friends around her. They look stunned. What, have they not seen so much confidence oozing out of one person? Sheesh. The boy sitting next to her gives me a small smile while the girl who I recognize as her sister stand from her seat and puts out her hand to me.

“I’m Aaliyah, but you can call me Ally. I’m Lizzy’s sister.”

“Yeah, I know,” I say, eyeing her. I hesitantly shake her hand then draw back; this is my competition. My enemy from the start. I saw her performances in her first year here at MJA, and she’s good. But, I am so much better. I will not let her out of my sight, no matter what. “I’m you’re new classmate, I can’t wait to work with you,” I lie.

As my enemy, my first instinct would be to push her away as much as possible, but what greater way to get my way into the castle than befriending the princess?

“Ah, new music major, sweet,” the boy says. “I’m Vic. I’m sure Gabe has told you a little about me.”

“Yeah, sure,” I smile.

Another potential threat. He must be good enough if he had a small show along with the band Gabe is in. I was there, I saw. Now I remember this, Vic. He’s the lead singer for the band that opened for Sleeping with Sirens.

I catch Aaliyah- excuse me, Ally- giving Vic a strange look before sitting back down. What’s her problem? He can’t introduce himself?

“Kari!” I hear Kellin call from the other side of the table.

“Kell,” I laugh.

How did I miss him? I skip over to him and give him a bear hug from behind. All the other members of the band are sitting with him and yet again I question how I could miss these guys; I was standing right in front of them just a moment ago. Then again, I was too focused on meeting Lizzy and they were too into their own conversations. These guys are like my older brothers, and it’s awesome, considering I’m an only child. They were there when I needed them, they made me laugh and attacked any guy that was attracted to me, were also annoying and, well, boys. The great thing about not actually being related to them was that whenever I got annoyed of them, I could just leave, and no one could say anything about it. Kellin even let me take hold of the mic in a few practice sessions whenever I’d visit them. Benefits of being related to someone who’s in a band. Of course Gabe is like a big brother too, since we were closer when we were little. Since he got in this school we haven’t seen each other much, just texted from here to there or sent the occasional letter since I thought it would be cool to do that kind of stuff.

I give the other guys a quick hug before making myself comfortable in a seat between Jesse and Justin, who was picking fries off of his girlfriend’s plate. Gabe waves a man over in a business casual outfit and places an order of two cheese burgers and curly fries. Don’t forget the Pepsi, I told him. When he told me that the school cafeteria had waiters, I couldn’t believe him. ‘No way,’ I told him. I stand corrected, though. Or sit corrected, I should say.

I proudly look around the table fold my hands as I sit and wait for my food. I can’t believe I’m actually here! I made it, and by all means necessary, I’m going to make it worth the while.
♠ ♠ ♠
-K_K