Status: I enjoy comments! <3

October

Broken Hearted

"Lauren, please. You can't do this to me," my voice quivered and sounded fragile as I spoke into my cell phone. "I don't understand what I did wrong, please, baby."

"We've drifted apart, Derek. You never even try to make time for me and Grey anymore. You've seemed more distracted than usual and you drink until all hours of the morning. I do not want Grey near that mess. Until you can get your shit together, I don't want you around our daughter." Lauren's voice traveled through the phone flat and emotionless almost as if she'd told me she didn't care for a certain type of food rather than broken my heart into a million irreparable pieces. "Derek, I've been contemplating saying this to you for a while now. I'm leaving you and Grey's staying with me, and that's final."

"You cannot keep that little girl from me, Lauren! She's my daughter too!" I nearly shouted, tears welling in my eyes.

I could almost hear my now ex-girlfriend roll her eyes over the phone. "Only until you clean up your act. Don't subject our daughter to the mess that is your life right now." Before I could further protest the line went dead. A single tear fell from my eyes before I willed myself to stop the flow immediately.

In a fit of anger, I threw my iPhone against the wall of my childhood bedroom. Lauren has kicked me out of our shared house, forcing me to drive eight hours to my parents' house in Tallahassee, Florida.

The walls of the room were painted a deep blue color, lighter than navy blue yet darker than sky blue. Posters of bands like Blink-182 and Green Day were plastered over the walls in odd intervals along with photographs of myself and bandmates in the pre-Mayday days. Furniture wise I had few pieces. There was a queen sized bed pushed into the corner, a bookshelf that only held a couple of actually book and that was filled with CDs on the opposite wall, an old desk that I used to do my homework on, and an old, dusty, torn up black couch. Back in the day I'd been kind of a scene kid, but so was Lauren. We'd met around this time due to mutual interests.

A knock sounded on my door and the door opened in the same breath. "Honey?" My mom poked her head through the door. "May I come in?"

"Sure, Mom." I sighed, throwing myself on top of the neatly made bed.

She slowly pushed the door open until she was over the threshold of my childhood bedroom. "Tomorrow your father and I are to attend a cocktail party for his work and I know he'd just love it if you'd come," she said.

Another sigh left my lips and I laid one arm over my eyes. "I... I don't know, Mom..."

"Please, Derek Sweetie. I know there are some people your dad would love for you to meet."

Over the course of a few seconds we'd fallen into silence. Then I uncovered my eyes to glance up at my seemingly distraught mother. "Uh, okay. I guess I'll go..." I caved very reluctantly.

"Oh, wonderful, sweetie. I'll let your father know. He'll be glad to have you there, I'm sure." She sent me an eye-crinkling grin and it actually made me feel a bit better that I made my mom so happy. It didn't make me feel better by much, but it did just a bit.

On the way out the door she, thankfully, shut it, which left me in the quiet sanctity of my room. I didn't feel bothered to lift myself from the comfort of my bed's embrace, not even to shut off the lights or change out of my clothes. I just let myself drift to sleep, fully clothed, on top of my the still made bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of short, but it's just the first chapter.

Let me know if you like it! C: