Status: That's all.

Dinner for Two.

1.

He walked into the crowded restaurant like he had every other year. He walked in carrying a dozen red roses and a silk covered box in his chest pocket of his jacket. He could feel it bumping against him every time he took a step and it made him smile at the thought of finally being a man and asking ‘the question’.

“Hello, sir? Can I help you?” An unenthused waiter asked as Tony walked up to the counter that was draped in lights. It was a really cheesy played out attempt at a Paris theme but what else do you expect for Valentine’s Day?

Tony cleared his throat before he spoke feeling his shyness take over for a small second.

“Tony, a table for two.” He spoke softly as he raised two fingers up as well just in case the man didn’t quite hear him over the loud people that surrounded them.

The man simply nodded and dropped his head down to what Tony assumes was a list. He slid his finger down until he landed on whatever he was looking for and rose his head with a big smile.

“Mr. Perry! Right this way, please follow me.” He now said in a much chipper voice. Tony followed the man as asked as they weaved in and out of people.

There was a range of people here Tony thought as he racked his eyes up and down the mass of bodies that surrounded the whole floor. Everyone was dressed very nice and casual for this special day. Many woman were dressed in pink and red dressed with a few wearing a bold blue or purple while majority of the men wore a simple black suit. Tony himself was wearing a simple black suit but instead of the white long sleeve underneath, he wore a black. He had convinced himself earlier that day that Mike would like it better because he always complimented him when he wore all black.

Tony and the waiter finally arrived at an empty table with a white folded paper that said ‘reserved’ in a nice cursive font. Tony took his seat as the waiter arranged himself to face Tony once again.

“Could I get you a drink to start you off while your date is on the way?” He questioned. Tony nodded and bit his lip a bit. He knew he didn’t need a drink drink but hell, it was Valentine’s Day.

“Sure. I’ll take a glass of water and a bottle of stars.” Tony hesitated a bit after he said ‘stars’ because he wasn’t sure if the waiter would understand what he was asking for but the waiter winked at Tony and nodded his head.

“I’ll be right back with both sir.” And he was off.

There was so much talking going on that Tony couldn’t even think straight as he stared at the menu. There was no point in waiting for Mike because he already knew what he would order. He always ordered the same thing and that was one of Tony’s favorite things about him. Tony already knew everything there was to know about Mike from his favorite foods, to what song to hum when he couldn’t fall asleep.

That though brought a smile to Tony’s face as a memory came to him.

~
Tony laid in his bunk awake inside the tour bus while everyone else was sound asleep. How they could sleep with all this thunder and lighting, he would never understand, but they did. He slept on the bunk closest to the roof and the inconsistent sound of the rain hitting the top was driving him crazy. How could anyone fall asleep to this? It was so annoying. Tony covered his face with his pillow and pressed it down trying to make the noise stop but it wouldn’t. He sighed as he sat up in his bunk letting the blankets fall off of his shirtless body. There was no way he could stay up here any longer. He’d rather sleep on the couch.

He climbed down like a professional and hoped down to the floor causing a small thud. He glanced around making sure he didn’t wake anyone, and when it was safe, he pulled his blanket and pillow down from his bunk and into his arms. He gathered his mess and took a step forward but stopped when a hot hand grabbed his leg. Tony pulled his leg back and covered his mouth before he could scream but relief filled his as Mike stuck his head out of his bunk, face red from trying to hold back his laughter.

“Man Tone, You should have seen your face. You looked so scared.” Mike whispered as he pulled his curtain back revealing his shirtless body as well. Tony could only stare in awe for a second before he convinced himself to look away. He rolled his eyes and pulled his belongings away from Mike but Mike grabbed onto his blanket and pulled it back.

“Wait, where are you going?” He questioned as Tony turned back to him.

“The couch. I can’t sleep up there with all the damn rain.”

“Oh. So that’s what you were huffing and puffing about.” Mike replied with a smirk. Tony smiled back.

“Of course. It’s loud as hell up there. Now I’m going to sleep. Night.” He turned again but once again, Mike pulled his blanket.

“But that couch is so uncomfortable. You can’t sleep on that. It’s like a bed of rocks.” He folded his hands on top of each other and rested his head down on them.

“Then what should I do? Just sleep up there and accidently end up suffocating while I’m trying to drown out the noise of the rain?” Tony questioned a bit sarcastically.

“Yes, or you could stay in here with me.” Mike replied smoothly. Right now, Tony was so glad they were talking in the dark because he could feel his cheeks heating up at Mike’s reply.

Tony didn’t even have to think about it. Of course he wanted to sleep in the same bed as Mike but he didn’t want to make Mike uncomfortable. He’d hid his feelings for Mike for so long, he was sure they’d go away by now but they hadn’t. They were still there and they were still burning hot so Tony went with his better judgment.

“I probably shoul-“

“Just come on Tony. Don’t think about it. Just come to sleep.” Mike stated before Tony could finish his reply. Tony watched Mike as he scooted over making way more room than enough room for Tony. He took in a long sigh as he watched Mike pat down the side of the bed motioning for Tony to come in.

Tony wedged into the small bunk situating himself on his side so he was far away enough from Mike that he didn’t do anything stupid, but still close enough to have a quiet conversation. He cozied up into the bed but froze when Mike reached over to pull the curtain closed. He had to hold his breathe because the smell of Mike made Tony crave him more. Tony waited for Mike to pull his arm back after he heard the curtain close but Mike kept his arm over him for a few seconds too long.

They didn’t say anything. They just kind of laid there staring at each other and it was driving Tony crazy. Mike, this perfect human, was laying right next to him and it was all he ever wanted. To go to sleep knowing that he would wake up with that face next to him, but as he blinked, he had to remind himself this was only because it was raining and nothing more. Instead of thinking too much about it, Tony allowed himself to drift off to sleep under Mike’s gaze. It wasn’t creepy or awkward or anything. It was more peaceful to him knowing Mike could look at him and feel comfortable, or at least that’s how Tony thought of it.

After a few minutes, Mike could hear Tony’s breathing evening out while his eyelids stayed closed. He stared at Tony. He took everything in about him. How he tucked his hands under his head while he slept. How he curled his knees up and how he only used one pillow. Mike loved it. He found Tony so adorable and unavoidable. Never in Mike’s life did he think he would be in this spot laying down next to a man he would without a doubt deem as perfect. He sighed as he thought more. He knew Tony had a thing for him. He knew it for a long time but it wasn’t until recently that Mike started feeling things. He felt things he’d never felt for anyone. He’d grown so close to Tony that it was like they basically molded together and now Mike wanted more and he knew Tony did too.

He raised his hand and pushed back a few strands that fell into Tony’s face as he shifted around a bit. So cliché, but it gave him a reason to touch him.

“You’re pretty damn perfect.” Tony heard Mike whisper. He’d never actually fell asleep. He just felt peaceful laying there under Mike’s gaze.

“Tony?” Mike questioned. He didn’t want to open his eyes so he kept them closed until Mike called out for him again.

“Tony?” He nudged him this time.

“What Mike?” Tony replied without opening his eyes.

“Can you do me a favor?” Mike asked as he grabbed on to Tony shoulder. Tony opened his eyes and met Mike’s right away.

“What’s that Mike?” He answered as Mikes hand slowly moved down towards Tony’s hand. Tony’s heart pounded in his chest until Mike found his goal and laced his fingers through with Tony’s. Tony was more surprised than anything. He didn’t know if this was a mean joke or if this was actually happening.

“Can you hum me too sleep?” A smile feel across his face when Tony didn’t pull his hand away.
“Hum you too sleep? Are you serious?” Tony asked playfully.

“Don’t judge me, just do it.” Mike teased as he gave Tony’s hand a squeeze. Tony didn’t know if this was real or if this was a dream. Whatever it was, it was beautiful.

“Fine. Any particular song?” Tony asked as he pretended to clear his voice. They laughed together as Mike scooted a little closer to Tony.

“I miss you-Blink. Go.” Mike whispered as he adjusted himself onto Tony’s chest. He didn’t know if he was crossing the line or anything but Tony didn’t move. He felt a little tense but this was all new to the both of them.

“Okay.” Tony replied before he softly started to hum the song. He didn’t have the best voice so he knew his humming wasn’t that great either but he had a good feeling Mike wouldn’t care. He hummed and the vibration from his voice un-tensed his body as well as the feeling of Mike’s breathe touching him.

He hummed the whole song at least 3 time before Mike was finally asleep in Tony’s chest, fingers still laced together. Tony started the song again because he wasn’t ready to fall asleep. He wanted to remember this moment forever. He tried keeping his eyes open but he couldn’t. He drifted slowly with the thought of Mike in his arms.
~

Tony snapped out of the memory when the waiter finally came back with the drinks on the trays.
“Here’s your water and stars.” He chimed as he softly placed the drinks down. He took a look to the empty seat but turned back to Tony.

“Do you know what your partner would like to drink?” He questioned as he tucked the drink tray under his arm.

“Oh no. Don’t worry about it.” Tony replied but felt a little silly as he thought about how dumb his answer sounded.

“Alright then sir. Would you like to order or are you waiting upon their arrival?”

“Just the stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer. I haven’t decided yet.” Tony smiled up at the man who returned the smile back.

“Alright Mr. Perry. I’ll be back to take your order whenever you’re ready.” He nodded and the he was off.

Tony automatically grabbed ahold of the stars drink and gazed into it. It was so much more beautiful than he remembered. It was a soft pink champagne with red ice cubes floating on the top and when the ice melted, it left a red layer over the top of the champagne. From the bottom of the glass, white was fizzing up but the fizzing stopped before it touched the ice. It was beautiful and Tony wished he could create something that beautiful but it wasn’t possible.

10 Minutes passed by and Tony dazed off into his thoughts. He kicked up his feet onto the empty chair across from him and took another drink of his stars. It went down so smooth and soft.

“Sir are you ready to order yet?” The waiter asked as he came back. Tony shook his head and checked the time.

“No. I’m still waiting.” He didn’t bother looking up at the waiter because he knew he had to be annoyed with him already. Tony had spent a good 30 minutes just sitting there and this place was packed. He didn’t really care though. He knew what he was doing.

He finished off both his drinks as his waiter made his way back for the third time. He took the glasses on his little tray and set down Tony’s appetizers.

“I’ll return with refills and then I’ll take your order.” He stated as tony nodded without, once again, looking at the man. He didn’t want it too seem rude or anything but he would rather not see the annoyance on the man’s face.

He looked down at the gross things that sat perfectly on the plate. God he hated mushrooms. He shook his head as he picked one up and took a bit. It tasted like it always hand. Disgusting. How Mike ever liked these things were beyond him. He slide the next bite into his mouth and chewed it fast trying to get it over with. He raised his arm and checked the time again, a quarter till 9. He popped another into his mouth as he thought about how Mike ate these gross little slimy things. He would eat a whole serving of them and then try to kiss Tony, but Tony wasn’t having it. He’d run away or push Mike away. It. Was. Disgusting.

The waiter appeared again setting down the glasses.

“Okay sir, are you ready now?” he pulled out a little flip book but once again, Tony shook his head.

“No. I’m still waiting for my company.” Tony looked up at the man as he flipped the little book closed and nodded.

“As you wish sir. I will back later.” And he was off again with another table.

Tony knew what the waiter was doing. He knew he probably seen it a lot working in the food industry. He kept coming back to Tony’s table because he thought Tony was going to be stood up. After a certain amount of time, it seems understandable but not for Tony. Mike would never do that to him.

Tony checked the time again 9:25.Mike would be showing up soon.

He pulled the little velvet box out of his jacket pocket and stared down at the band inside.

It wasn’t anything extravagant. It was just a silver band lapped in black lined with small diamonds. It was perfect like Mike. He pulled it out the white little pillow and read the engraving.

“’til the clocks run out.” It read. It was their thing since the first day. They’d been together for 2 years and time never seemed to end when they were together. Tony rubbed his finger over the ring and placed it back inside the box.

“Good luck man.” A random said as he walked past the table.

“Thanks.” Tony replied softly as he watched the man sit down with a beautiful brown haired lady who wore a very big rock on her middle finger.

He loved being out and seeing people in love. It was refreshing to see instead of all the bullshit relationships that were floating around these days. Nothing was better than being with the one person who filled your every thought and moment with pure happiness.

Tony could see the waiter coming back with another man. A very dressed up man and they seemed to be making their way to him. He sighed as he knew what was coming. To be honest he was kind of waiting for it.

“Hello sir. Are you enjoying yourself tonight?” The very dressed up man asked as the waiter took a stand next to him once they reached the table. Tony slid the box back into his pocket and he pulled his feet down from the opposite chair.

“Yes sir. It’s very beautiful in here. Everything is very nice.” Tony replied as best he could with a small smile.

“Why thank you sir. Well see we have a problem. You reserved a table for 2 and unfortunately you’ve been here for an hour alone. Now as you know its Valentine’s Day and we get very busy which, I’m sure, is why you decided to reserve a table. I am very sorry to rush you but we have a full house with a lot more reservations to uphold and if your date doesn’t show up in the next 10 minutes, were going to need this table. I apologize but we’re very busy today and I’m sure your other is just stuck at work. If you would like anything else this waiter here would be more than glad to serve you, but again, 10 minutes. It was a pleasure meeting you and I hope you return here.” The man’s voice was very rough and demanding. Sure he apologized but it sounded way rehearsed and Tony didn’t believe a single word he was saying. He was a little upset at the fact that he was losing the table but he knew it was going to happen. It was just making everything too real.

“Thank you, sir. Just the ticket please.” Tony requested from the waiter and he didn’t hesitate to set the little white slip of paper down onto the table. He waited as Tony fished around for his wallet and set down his card for the waiter to take.

The waiter took off as Tony was left again. He knew this was going to happen but he didn’t want it too. It was finally happening. Mike didn’t show and it was all too real. He felt a pain in his chest as he watched the door waiting for his glorious man to walk through the door but it was never him. Just regular people who didn’t have the shine that Mike held.

The waiter appeared handing Tony his card back and left. No more words exchanged. He grabbed his few belongings he had scattered around the table and left before he could take one last look around.

The outside air was moist and totally uninviting as Tony made his way down the street. He didn’t bother to stop at his car. His new destination was right up the road and he could use the walk.
He had a tight feeling in his chest and he couldn’t breathe. Mike didn’t show up. He didn’t get to see his beautiful smile and he didn’t get to ask him to one question that destroyed Tony’s conscience. Mike was his everything. He was all he wanted and he didn’t show. Everything was becoming too real as Tony passed the last light post. He knew he had to take the next left, but he didn’t want too. He didn’t want to be alone but he took the left anyway.

Tony walked 12 rows down and then read the names on the stones until he read Michael Fuentes. His grave was still fresh with a small mound of dirt on it but Tony didn’t care as he made his way over to the headstone. He took a seat next to it and leaned his head on the cold hard rock. It wasn’t anything like Mike. It was hard and cold while Mike was always hot and happy.

Tears streamed down his face as he wished Mike could just appear.

“I waited for you at dinner today.” Tony whispered as softly as he could. He could feel his throat tightening so it was hard to get the words out.

“I thought you would just walk through those doors but you never did.” He choked on the last few and whipped his face.

“Baby, I miss you so much. Please come back to me. I want you to go to dinner with me again. I want us to finish all the plans we made. I can’t do them alone like I did today.” He cried as he traced small hearts into the dirt.

“I know it’s selfish of me to want you back but you’re the only thing that ever made me happy. How am I supposed to do this?” Tony asked as he tears came a little harder.

“I waited for you today. I’ve been waiting for Valentine’s Day because even though I know you don’t care for cliché things, I was going to propose. I had everything planned out already but you left baby. You left me.” He broke as he though back to 4 months ago when Mike was right next to him walking down the streets holding each other’s hands. He wanted to feel Mike’s heat again. He wanted to feel the love and the passion but now he was left with an empty heart and nowhere to go.

He pulled out the ring and set it in front of the head stone. His hands were shaking but he tried to contain himself.

“I’m sorry if I’m making you feel bad baby. Happy Valentine’s Day. I wanted to spend it with you and only you.” Tony said as he throat untightened. He got himself as comfortable as he could against the head stone as he played with the ring in his hand. It still didn’t seem real that Mike wasn’t here with him. He never wanted Valentine’s Day because that was their day. They’d always go to that damn restaurant and laugh at how dressed up people got even though they dressed up themselves. Tony craved those moments but he knew they were never going to happen again.
He knew he would love again someday, but it would never be like what he and Mike shared. They had something that couldn’t be described in words.

He adjusted himself one last time as he wrapped his jacket around him and hummed Mike’s song. In his heart, he felt Mike next to him leaning against him as he hummed the tune to his soul. It soothed Tony to a certain extent. He could feel Mike’s presence wrapped around him as he drifted off to sleep with Mike beneath him.

“Till the clock runs out, baby. Till the clocks run out.” Was the last thing he remembers Mike saying to him and he drifted off with that in mind.