Missing a Heart

Two of Them

“Good riddance,” Lana muttered to herself, swinging both of her legs over the window ledge and hopping down from the second story onto a garbage bin. It was 1:34 in the morning, and the alley that she was jumping into was dark and empty. The only bits of where she could see came from the patches of artificial light from the streetlamp at the opening of the alleyway.
Once she was down, she started making her way to the street, leaving behind the building she used to call home. So much had happened within the five months of Toni’s death. The times of when he was alive seemed like a dream. Now she felt like she was falling apart.
Lana pulled her jean jacket around her tighter, not because it was cold, but because she felt like she was being followed. Nobody in their right mind was out at this time of night, so someone that would be following her must be super drunk or be paid to track her down. Footsteps seemed to be getting closer and closer to her, but whenever she looked back she only saw black. “Don’t be stupid Lana,” she said to herself. “No one’s following you.”
Footsteps that were coming closer and closer told her otherwise, but she kept her mouth shut and kept walking forward.
“Hey sweetheart, what are you doing out so late?” A creepy man’s voice asked, his breath on her neck. How did he get to her so fast?!
A mangled scream barely left her lips before her attacker covered her mouth and pulled her down, injecting her with something strong enough that she wouldn’t wake up. She didn’t mind dying though. “I’ll be with you soon, my darling,” she thought darkly to herself, but before she could think any more the man’s hand was removed and the needle was ripped out of her arm. She looked over to see who her rescuer- or rather rescuers- were and saw a tall man with lightly tanned skin and long chestnut brown hair beating her attacker senseless, while the other who was holding her had beautiful green eyes lined with long dark lashes, dirty blonde hair, freckles, and deep pink lips.
Dean lifted her up and adjusted his hand to support her head. “Is he out yet Sammy?”
Sam gave the guy one last kick to the head before turning around to help his brother. “Yeah, he’s out cold. He won’t be up for a while.” Sam looked the girl over. “Do you think she’ll be alright?”
Dean shrugged. “I dunno. Let’s just get her to the hotel room, then we can get Cas to help us out. Grab the duffle bag. I think it has her stuff in it.” He turned on his heel and headed back in the direction of the motel where he and Sam were staying. “Don’t worry,” he whispered to her. “We’ll make you alright.” He let his fingers get lost in her hair as he held her closer to him.
“Dean.”
Dean jumped a little from the voice that was behind him. “Dammit Cas, can you try to make yourself a bit more known before you do that?” he muttered, even though he was glad to see the angel.
"I am sorry Dean. I did not mean to frighten you, but Sam called on me to come help you."
"Yeah, once we get her to the motel room you can help me get her fixed up." Dean noticed that she had started to convulse (an effect of the drugs that were now in her system) and he began to hum Led Zeppelin, only loud enough for her to hear of course. He wouldn't be caught dead having Sam hear him sing.
Once in the motel room, Dean set her down lightly on the bed. "Okay Cas, do your thing."
Castiel nodded, then placed two fingers to her forehead. Immediately she stopped convulsing and relaxed. He smiled slightly and brushed the hair back from her forehead. "She'll need to sleep that off for a while, but right now she's awake enough to talk and eat."
"I'll go get us all some burgers," Sam offered.
"Thank you Sam," Castiel nodded.
Lana watched Sam leave, then looked around the room. There were two queen beds, a television on a table, and another door which she supposed lead to the bathroom. The wallpaper was outdated, as well as the bed spread, but at least it was clean. "Hello," she whispered. She tried to sit herself up but couldn't. Whatever drugs were in her system were making her extremely weak.
Dean noticed this and propped her up so she was leaning against his chest, his arm around her waist. "Hi. I'm Dean Winchester, and the guy who just left is my baby brother Sam. That guy right there is Castiel," he said, pointing to Cas who gave her another small smile.
“I’m Lana.”
"How do you feel?"
"I'm freezing," she murmured. She tried to stand up, but she had the coordination of a newborn baby deer.
Dean caught her and sat her back down and pulled his jacket off, draping it around her shoulders. "So, what were you doing walking around in the middle of the night?" Dean asked. He noticed that she was really skinny, like ribs are showing kind of skinny. Once he realized that it seemed like he was staring, he looked at Castiel so he wouldn’t be staring at her.
"I was running away. My boyfriend of three years was the son of a mob boss, and God, was he gorgeous. He was amazing. We had so much fun together, going on trips on his father's dime, buying me nice clothes, treating me like a princess basically. We were even gonna get married. But then he was killed in a car wreck. The cops said it was an accident but I know it was a hit. I haven't been the same since. So I was gonna run away from this city to try to forget him a little." Lana sighed, trying not to cry. Her chest started to hurt thinking about Toni. "I don't know why I'm telling you all of this," she chuckled softly. "I couldn't even tell his dad how I felt about Toni dying, but here I am telling you."
Even though her story was tragic, Dean couldn’t help but notice what a beautiful and sultry voice she had. It wasn’t shrill and annoying like most girl’s he met. "I'm so sorry," Dean whispered. "I'm just glad that we found you. Since you told me something about you, I'll tell you something about me, okay? Okay.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “When I was four and Sammy was a baby our mom was killed by a demon. Ever since, me, Sammy and my dad have been hunting evil ghosts and demons, trying to find the one that killed my mom and prevent any other deaths. Castiel is an angel who was sent to help us. If you want, you could come with us and help us." Dean hoped she was someone they could trust, since he just told her the one secret he wasn't supposed to tell anyone.
"That sounds insane! I'd love to!" A smile spread across Lana's face, and for the first time that night she didn't look frightened. She looked whole, like she was alive instead of a sad shell of a girl.
All three of their heads turned as Sam walked back in the room with two bags from Burger King. “It was the closest and cheapest thing I could find,” he shrugged, sitting down on the other side of Lana. “You hungry?”
"Yeah. I'm starving!" Her face flushed a light pink when her stomach growled to confirm her statement.
Dean laughed, making a mental note to try to get her to blush more often. "Don't worry, you can eat whatever we've got. Except for my burger of course," he teased. Dean pulled out some fries and held it out for her. "Here ya go."
“Thanks for getting these for us, Sam,” Lana said before taking a bite.
“No problem.”
“Oh, and uh, Sammy, Lana’s gonna stay with us. For a long while. She doesn’t have anywhere to go and said she wouldn’t mind staying with us.” Dean gave Sam a “We aren’t going to negotiate this so just accept it” face.
“Alright. Glad to have you with us Lana,” Sam nodded. He sensed that Dean had taken a liking to the girl and just hoped he wouldn’t play her like he did with everyone else.

After dinner Sam and Cas went straight to sleep, but Lana couldn’t get herself to calm down. She wasn’t strong enough to get all her energy out, so it was trapped inside of her and she felt like she was going to explode. She tried not to move around a lot so she wouldn’t wake up Dean, but was failing miserably.
Dean noticed her squirming around slightly and rolled over to see if she was alright. “Hey, you okay?” he whispered, his voice layered with tiredness.
“Yeah. I just can’t sleep.”
“Neither can I. Belly ache,” he chuckled.
The two of them sat in the comfortable silence. The only exception to the lack of noise was the Sam’s snores and the radio which was playing Coldplay’s “Yellow.” They weren’t saying anything; they were just looking at each other in the dark. Dean felt a little awkward after not saying anything to each other for a while, so he figured lame small talk was in order. “So, uh, what kind of music do you like?”
“I like old punk rock, like The Runaways, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Ramones. All the good ones from the 70’s. How about you?”
“Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Metallica, Motorhead-”
“Rolling Stones? I love the Rolling Stones,” she smiled. “Keith Richards is a legend.”
The two of them started talking about Keith and the Rolling Stones, debating some of their songs and telling each other stories they had heard about John Lennon and Keith when the two were together, since Keith and John were best friends. After a while they both started to calm down and get tired, only talking when they realized the other had asked a question. Soon Lana felt her eyelids get heavier and heavier until she finally succumbed to sleep like Castiel said she would.