Missing a Heart

Doughtnuts

Dean wasn’t sure if he fell asleep first or Lana, but when he woke up the two of them were curled up together. She looked a lot more at peace while she was sleeping. Her cheeks were flushed a light pink, and her hair had mussed up a bit so little strands of curls were framing her face. She just looked so soft and vulnerable, and he began to wonder why she trusted them, complete strangers, to take care of her.
Castiel was awake also and came to sit next to Dean. “Good morning Dean.”
“Mornin’ Cas. What time is it?”
“5:46 a.m.”
“God damn,” he muttered to himself. “Well it’s been a weird day,” he shrugged.
“Yes, it has.”
“Hey Cas?” Dean asked, shifting carefully so he wouldn’t wake up Lana. “Why do you think she trusts us? We literally just met her and now we’re sharing a bed.”
Cas sighed. “She did not tell you the whole story last night. She was homeless before she met Toni, and so she had to rely on strangers for lots of things. We were nice enough to help her, and so she trusts us since we haven’t hurt her so far. And because you offered to let her stay with us.”
“I don’t even know why I offered. It just kind of came out of my mouth.”
“It’s the right thing to do. You’ll see why later on,” Castiel said with a knowing smile.
“Alright,” Dean nodded. He trusted Cas, so if he said it was the right thing, then it was. “How long will she be sleeping like this?”
“Most of the day, I presume. The toxins are still in her system, but I made it so they aren’t as harmful. She’ll be fine when she wakes up.”
“Okay. In that case I’ll just stay here with her until she does wake up. Hell, I’m going back to sleep. It’s too early to be awake.” He laid back down, trying to get comfortable and contemplated putting his arm around her.
“Oh, and you didn’t hear it, but she had a nightmare last night.”
Dean decided against it, figuring it was too forward. “About what?”
Castiel shrugged. “I’m not sure. She didn’t wake up, she just kind of calmed down after a while. Remember to ask her when she wakes up later.”
“Will do,” Dean yawned, closing his eyes.
“See you later Dean,” Castiel whispered before disappearing.

Sam woke up a few hours later to find Castiel gone and both Dean and Lana sleeping. He wasn’t hungry so he skipped breakfast and started searching the web for any possible cases they could start on. After two hours of nothing, he stumbled upon a website that looked promising. It was a blog by someone named John Watson, and all the posts were about different cases no one else could solve except for this guy named Sherlock Holmes. Apparently he was a genius or something that could figure out crime cases when no one else could.
A loud yawn broke Sam’s train of thought. He turned around to find his brother lazily looking over at him. “Mornin’ Sammy. What are you up to?”
“Looking for cases. I found-”
“Do we have anything to eat for breakfast? I’m starving.”
“No but-”
“Okay. I’ll go pick something up.” Dean pulled on his shoes and grabbed his wallet before leaving the hotel room.
Sam sighed, rubbing his temples. “Typical Dean,” he thought to himself. He figured he might as well check out the website while he waited.
20 minutes later, Dean came back in with a bag in his hand. “I’ve got doughnuts!”
“Hey, I think I found something Dean,” Sam said, waving his elder brother over to the laptop. Dean grabbed a doughnut out of the bag before walking over to Sam to see what he pulled up. “I was looking around and I found this guy’s blog, something about this guy named Sherlock Holmes who’s really smart and solves crimes no one else can... Anyway, there’s been some murders on this backroad out of London that leads to the countryside, and all the victims are missing their hearts when they’re found, but there’s no wounds or any possible way they could have gotten them taken out. Then I found this article from a few months back about this gory car crash that killed a mob boss’s son on the same road where the murders are taking place. Do you think it could be our kind of thing?”
Dean felt his heart sink in his chest when he heard the last part. “What was the mob boss’s son’s name?”
Sam scrolled around the page until he found the name. “Antonio Fortundio.”
“Toni,” Dean muttered to herself.
“Toni?”
“Yeah, um, Lana was telling me last night that her boyfriend Toni died in a car crash that was actually a hit. He was the son of a mob boss. I think this is the same guy.” Dean rubbed his face, wondering how he was going to tell Lana that her ex-fiance’s ghost was killing people and taking their hearts. “What do the victims look like?”
“They’re all women, and ages range from 18 to 23. There have been three of them so far.” Sam pulled up their pictures and turned the screen to Dean.
“Holy shit,” he whispered. “They all look like Lana.” All three pictures of the girls from when they were alive had dark brown hair, freckles, and bright blue eyes. “That’s creepy, man.”
“They were all also about to be married.”
“That’s him alright,” Dean nodded.
“Well he was buried over there in England, so at least we have some bones to burn.”
“Wait, do you mean to tell me that we’re going to go in a plane?”
“Dean,” Sam sighed, bracing himself for his brother’s complaining. “It’s the only way to go.”
“No, no, no, no, no! Last time we went in a plane there was a demon that was gonna crash it! After that you seriously expect me to go on another plane?!”
“We’ll be fine Dean. We haven’t heard of anything fishy going on with planes lately. It’s totally safe.”
“Except when the engine stops working and you’re plummeting toward Earth to your death!”
“Dean! I already bought the tickets, and they’re non-refundable. We’re going on the damn plane, and you’re going to be just fine. Maybe you can call on Cas to come hold your hand if you’re feeling scared,” Sam retorted, tired of his brother’s antics.
“Screw you,” Dean countered.
“You know what Dean? I could-” Sam faltered. Lana was waking up a few hours earlier than she should be.
“Wow,” she said lazily. “My head feels weird.”